Cosford 2014 Feedback

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Timc

Cosford 2014 Feedback

Post by Timc »

Just got back from Cosford, just wondering what the highlights, lowlights were for the people that attended and did the new traffic management work out better than previous years or were you stuck in traffic for an unreasonable length of time?

Cheers
Tim

Chloe Jane

Re: Cosford 2014 Feedback

Post by Chloe Jane »

Timc wrote:Just got back from Cosford, just wondering what the highlights, lowlights were for the people that attended and did the new traffic management work out better than previous years or were you stuck in traffic for an unreasonable length of time?

Cheers
Tim

I thought this year was really good! Got in and out very quick (don't really understand the whole point of the holding bay...guess its so you don't need to wait in queues whilst tickets are being checked). Very good air displays loved seeing the hunter, canberra, typhoon and voyager :) enjoyed the whole day... just sunburnt and very tired... the team have worked very well this year ! (credit to them and all those who worked for it) ...roll on next year :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124967806@N07/ <-- please feel free to see a few of the photos I took

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

The show was more or less what I was expecting.Typhoon was ok but not as good as last years display,Canberra and Hunter were my favourite display.Vulcan nice to see but still lacking something,Dissapointed the Voyager only did the one pass.Cosford is a decent show but it needs another couple of fast jets.I think the admission fee is a little high, especially for people who don't have any children, based on the current display line up when you consider Welshpool was only £5.00 and some of today's acts displayed there also.I guess you are partly paying for the ground displays at Cosford hence the difference in price?Can't comment on traffic as I was dropped off and left after the Vulcan had finished.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

The Hunter/Canberra duo absolutely phenomenal!

Voyager was nice to see, maybe a second fly-through lower would have been welcome.

Typhoon was OK, caught the worst of the weather but the display seemed very short?! :confused:

Venom was superb and an excellent last minute replacement - beautiful to see her again.

BBMF Dak was an odd routine and then disappeared - was half-expecting a fly through with Spitfire and Hurricane.

Great War Display Team win best display of the day. It was a beautiful set-piece with 9 aircraft in the air all at once. Brilliant. :clap:

Did someone upset the Apache? Nice pyro. :grin:
Last edited by Flare Path on Tue 10 Jun 2014, 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

I watched the show on the Planes Tv live feed and it looked like a great day, got to say the Apache demo looks like a lot of fun this year and how good was Richard Goodwin in the Pitts, best solo Pitts display i think i've ever seen.

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff

Post by Ledhead27 »

Although I personally did not attend the show I did however watch the majority, excluding the displays from the Canberra/Hunter duo to the Blades, on the PlanesTV live stream which, as a little side-note, was excellent other than having to mute the stream due to possible music copyright from the showground. So my opinions were:

+ Great War Display Team put on an amazing display and certainly filled the sky with a marvellous routine, with the commentator also being very insightful
+ Red Devils were a surprise to me as I thought their display was a lot more polished in comparison to previous displays
+ Hunter/Canberra due were excellent highlights with both aircraft presenting a number of pleasant topside passes and blue-notes
+ Not a whole positive but the inclusion of an echelon formation topside by the BBMF PR.XIX and Hurricane was very welcome
+ Honour of display highlight has to go to the Pitts Special solo which was absolutely incredible with the Mr Goodwin doing all manner of rolls, flicks and other manoeuvres

- Vulcan was, in my opinion, quite lacklustre with the display surprisingly short and not really as punchy as I had anticipated with the wing mods. The only conselation were a number of "howls" but on the whole quite a tame showing
- Voyager was a good addition and quite a coup but I was hoping for a slightly lower flypast, but nonetheless a good effort by the organisers

Overall what appeared to be a very good show with some real highlights. The cancellations earlier in the week were unfortunate but certainly did not affect the show. Big round of applause from myself to the organisers :clap:
"FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, DroneMan Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Dwadwood

Sundowner

Post by Sundowner »

Excellent day, got in early no problem...getting out too over an hour, all the display acts were great in my eyes.
Plenty to see on the ground too, plenty of airframes dotted about, hangar displays varied and interesting, I like the vehicle exhibitions too, great to talk to the owners of these things, the display arena is great.
All in all an excellent day out, well done to all involved. :clap: :clap:

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

"Last flight XX264 cosford airshow 2014 were leaving her here at Shawbury."

Pretty cool.

Post by 106500 »

I sometimes wonder just whether people watched the same show as I did. In my opinion today the Vulcan was superb - a fantastic and at times noisy display with howls I've not heard since the VDF days! Everyone around me appeared to be blown away by it.... some great changes to the display as well, and what an entrance! - there got it off my chest!!

westhamfan84

Post by westhamfan84 »

For me was a classic cosford loved the hunter and Canberra it truly was amazing. the blades were spot on as always and I also liked the yaks haven't seen them for a couple of years. Think the Red Devils need smoke to enhance there display. The Pitts special for me was the surprise of the day great display with some real high spots. No real low lights thought the Bbmf seemed to be missing something may be it was the lack of the crowd rear start or the final complete flypast with all 3 but still great none the leas. The Vulcan for me was very tame but has Been for awhile but can't argue with the crowd reaction clapping when it arrived and I saw people crying when it departed. Can't comment on roads as I came by train which was very well organised.
Planned Shows for 2016 Cosford, Blackpool, Southport

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Did the bbmf dakota spitfire and hurricane arrive in formation as a trio ?

westhamfan84

Post by westhamfan84 »

No dak took of first then the spit and hurricane followed couple of mins later
Planned Shows for 2016 Cosford, Blackpool, Southport

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

A great day today, well done to all involved :clap:

My observations from today both good & can be improved:

Traffic holding area worked a charm, so much better than having all of those cars queued up on the M54
Need to work on the traffic leaving the field, today was the worst experience of leaving I've had, I saw people not move for well over 45mins, I didnt start my engine until 7 and still took 25mins to leave, some people were even told other cars parks were the priority & the marshalls had to concentrate on those first up.
A great line up (the cancellations would've made it even better!) with a mix of everything to please all.
Seeing James may
Carol vordermans bum :kiss:
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

LukeBrown

Post by LukeBrown »

Was a brilliant show. Very we'll organised and was so quick getting in and out. Well layerd out and signed posted.
Well done Cosford
Pics to come soon
Luke
:smile: :worship:

Ewart

Post by Ewart »

Domvickery wrote:A great day today, well done to all involved :clap:

My observations from today both good & can be improved:

Traffic holding area worked a charm, so much better than having all of those cars queued up on the M54
Need to work on the traffic leaving the field, today was the worst experience of leaving I've had, I saw people not move for well over 45mins, I didnt start my engine until 7 and still took 25mins to leave, some people were even told other cars parks were the priority & the marshalls had to concentrate on those first up.

I'd agree with both of these points. I was one of the cars about four back from the barrier attempting to leave via the runway exit. After 40 minutes of the barrier being closed down, we were advised to turn our cars around and head for the M54 exit. Clear exit route signs probably would have helped to solve this initial problem of people going the wrong way.

I enjoyed the Vulcan display. In recent shows I have just not been interested in her, however today she seemed more gutsy to me. And that little flick as she departed, fantastic.

I'd agree with the points on the need for more fast jets, but it is what it is. It was nice to see all those Harriers lined up.

From a photography point of view the Spotty Jag and Harriers could have been better placed. But I believe that D200 (?) had already identified this in another thread.

kianelle

Post by kianelle »

Cosford is a good show but there is something missing to make it a great show.. iv attended every year for a few years now . And its got a bit same old .think I need to miss one or two then ill get the buzz back for the show .
That said nice show good to see so many people out all displays good . Except voyager bit pointless ..7 out of 10 for me
Last edited by kianelle on Sun 08 Jun 2014, 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Enjoyed it again, my only complaints are identical to last year were by theres just not enough burners in the flying display but it it what it is.

Really enjoyed the Canberra, didn't realise they were so loud when it powered up in the climb.

Think last seasons Typhoon display was much better, theres only so much underside you can see.

The Vulcan seemed a bit more spirited this year, Ive been vocal in how its last few displays have been very mundane but today was a lot louder and a couple of howls thrown in too.

All in all a decent day :D

Jamie87

Post by Jamie87 »

All in all it was a great day. All of the displays offered something different for me.

Vulcan display was the best one that I have persnally seen. How many howls did we get? The last one was brilliant. I guess you get what you get with the Vulcan, the crowd loved it regardless and I guess that is what its all about right?
Other highlights for me were seeing the Typhoon in the new paint scheme, the middair squadron (especially the Canberra) and that Apache demo (i wished someone had warned me about the pyro!)

I had a bit of a problem with catching my train on the way home but as it was my 1st Cosford airshow it is something I can learn from.

All in all well done to all the organsers of the show, everything got thrown at you this year in regards to cancellations and you still pulled off a quality show.

I'm off to sort my sunburn now....
Cosford, RIAT, Rhyl, Southport

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sun 22 Jul 2018, 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

I too was one of the members who watch it on PlanesTV live stream and I thought it was a good show I was happy I finally got to see the PR9 & T7 routine even if it was on a PC screen and hope to see it and hear it myself this year I also thought PT in his XI was a good display as well.

Just wondering what is the Russian music called you hear playing during the Yakovlevs display?

Cheers
James
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

JBartlett wrote:I too was one of the members who watch it on PlanesTV live stream and I thought it was a good show I was happy I finally got to see the PR9 & T7 routine even if it was on a PC screen and hope to see it and hear it myself this year I also thought PT in his XI was a good display as well.

Just wondering what is the Russian music called you hear playing during the Yakovlevs display? Vangelis Conquest of Paradise I think. I know it is Vangelis :smile:

Cheers
James

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Had a fantastic day out, left home at 4:30 and was in the holding field by 7am with no queuing experienced at all, leaving that extra hour earlier really made all the difference.

Highlights of the show for me were the Midair Squadron (never knew a Canberra made a noise like that), the Apache with pyros and the Vulcan which I am always pleased to see and the extra noise compared to recent years was certainly welcome.

I knew that getting out would take along time so once the flying display was over I went and looked around the musuem, by the time I was finished it was nearly 7pm so I got back to my car and joined once of the queues and was out within 10 minutes.

Roll on next year :clap:
Last edited by Andyperkins on Mon 09 Jun 2014, 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Corky

Post by Corky »

First time out to Cosford and really enjoyed it. Thought the line up was nice and varied and the displays of a good quality, the Red Devils didn't do much for me personally but the rest of the acts were good. Highlights had to be the Midair squadron, Red Arrows, Venom and Vulcan and Typhoon. The overall package was brilliant value I thought with access to the museum and the static displays they had scattered around being excellent (Harrier line up was lovely!).

Concerning getting in and out of the airshow: getting in was easy, arrived at 7.15am into holding carpark and no hassle from there. Getting out was the only major downside of the day as I was stuck in the car park for about 2 hours. Don't think the ground conditions helped with some routes being coned off due to the poor state they were in.

Summary, really good day, enjoyed the flying but think I'll go by train next time.

JohnF

Post by JohnF »

No problems getting in and out again. In the holding field by 07:30. Checking tickets in the holding area worked really well as it meant once the gates were open we went straight in. Sat and waited in the car until 19:30 and was across the runway and out within 10 mins, same as last year.

Highlights - first time I'd seen the Canberra/Hunter duo and they were superb. Nice to see the Seaking as they won't be around for much longer. Jaguar taxi and Harrier display were excellent and great to see the Kestrel.

Lowlight - Parking of the spotty Jag. Who decided to put it right next to the hangar (in the shade in the morning). Could it not have been parked up with the desert coloured one?

lappup

Post by lappup »

Great show really enjoyed it - my only gripe was that although we got into the field at 8:30 (runway entrance) we were directed to the worst parking area for viewing (back of the showground towards the desert camo jag) this also meant that getting out was a nightmare 1hr to get to the main exit.

Highlights for me were the midair squadron and the Great War team. Will be back next year :clap: