CJS

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2015 - [Official Thread]

Post by CJS »

He's apologised for his remark earlier!! Do like the twin apache display :-o
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

Chris Strawson wrote:He's apologised for his remark earlier!! Do like the twin apache display :-o

I missed the comment, what did he say?!? Apache twin display was excellent :clap:

vintage ATCO

Post by vintage ATCO »

John_E wrote:Anyone else hear Sean Maffett's Alton Towers/safety comment during the Chinook display? Was I hearing things...?

Yes, it was crass.
vA
stevelevien.com

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Great display by the Apaches.Shame about Sean waffler Maffutt.I thought he only commentated on the Vulcan.Muppett

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Well... I just finished watching the show on Planes TV... Peter and the crew at Cosford, Well done considering the cancellations and the weather being a little off. :clap: ! I quite enjoyed watching a different kind of show then I'm used to like RIAT. Highlights for me were the Blades and the RAF Synchro Pair (I'm looking forward to seeing the pair at RIAT now) , but I still have a huge soft spot for the Chinook display. Any crew that can throw around a machine the size of a Chinook like that, just Awesome!.. The Vulcan.... Geez could have been better, not sure if it was the lower cloud or what. Other then the faster pass in the opening. What was different then last years display? Excellent howl on the climb though!

kianelle

Post by kianelle »

Dose anyone know why the f16 diplay aircraft changed from fridays practice .

SALERNO

Post by SALERNO »

Enjoyed today and especially muscle biplane, B727, F16......and of course reds and blades. Vulcan great to see but limited. Can you imagine if Mirages and Mig29 had shown. Weather ok and ground dry...ish

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

kianelle wrote:Dose anyone know why the f16 diplay aircraft changed from fridays practice .

Don't quote me but it could be something to do with the main display aircraft being armed with live flares, or that's what we thought. Cloud base was to low for flares in my opinion.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Jamesv9820

Post by Jamesv9820 »

It went tech on start up so the spare was used.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Jamesv9820 wrote:It went tech on start up so the spare was used.

If that's the case then Cosford's had some really back luck this year with items going tech :sad:
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Must've caught it off Yeovilton last year.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Very enjoyable day, had a nice look around the static in the morning in the blue skies and sunshine and while it was a shame it clouded over for the rest of the day at least the rain held off until the Lynx display and even then it only lasted 10 minutes.

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

What a brilliant Cosford, the best for years! Too many highlights to list, but special mention for the wonderful 70s style 727 display, the 'Spitoon' synchro, and that lovely, lovely Anson.... :drool:

Peter R and co... :clap: :worship:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

Marc350

Post by Marc350 »

Well my first post on here!

Cosford pulled off a superb show in my eyes.....Don't get me wrong was gutted over Ramex Delta pulling out wasn't so fussed over MIG as seen it at Fairford but did feel sorry for the organisers!!

I don't like to criticise but thought Sean Maffet had a shocking day!!!! We all know that the Typhoon likes to sneak in so that is fine but when the Synchro Pair is Tornado and Spitfire.....Noooooo it's a Typhoon :tongue:

But was very impressed with B727, Rich Goodwin, loved the Swiss Hornet despite seeing that before and never even realised how old it was!!!

Cosford you pulled it off..........but 2016 BIGGER AND BETTER :P

You got the Vulcan and Sea King slots to fill now remember :lol:

Jamie87

Post by Jamie87 »

That 727 missed approach. That was worth my £22 alone.

Thanks Peter and team for pulling it out of the bag when it seemed that everything was against you.
Cosford, RIAT, Rhyl, Southport

PirateTrickster

Post by PirateTrickster »

It went tech on start up so the spare was used.

Wow - I'm glad they bought a spare.

Only my second airshow in about 20 years but I, and my two boys (10 & 13) really really enjoyed it. Bit of a shame the youngest one decided he needed the loo at the same time as the 727 display - doh!

SALERNO

Post by SALERNO »

I have to agree on the B727. For a 30 year + aircraft and last one built I believe, :smile: it looked amazing and what a performance. Not something we see too often but that's how to throw an airliner around the sky :)

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Evening All! :wave:

Well glad to see most of you enjoyed the show... hopefully no-one else's day was 22 hours long like mine! :cuppa: Just one visiting aircraft left on the airfield now, an Apache which went U/S today. I've just got home and trying to catch up everything I missed over the past few days...

Adamwilliams132 wrote:I know the weather can't be helped but I do feel as though it's a let down especially the p-3 it's designed to fly over the sea for long periods surely a bit of rain won't hurt it.

The German Navy's Orion fleet are busy on operations. Sadly the one airframe available to come to the show had an engine failure on Thursday as they were preparing to depart to RAF Shawbury. These things happen, it wasn't anything to do with the "bit of rain".

Adamwilliams132 wrote:Yes I know they cost but 60,000 tickets at £20+ each there must be some money in the pot to book civilian acts.

The flying display budget is allocated on income generated in the previous year, not on ticket revenue for the current event. The flying display budget was maxxed out before the cancellations, meaning we went overbudget securing last minute additions to the programme.

AARDVARK wrote:It depends if the Military acts actually cost anything,it might just be s case of accomodation and fuel or just goodwill,we send this you send that scenario,private acts,in particular jets,they cost money!

International participation is usually free of charge, apart from accommodation/hosting etc. Therefore we lost 34 minutes of displays that were costing us £0. As you said, civilian owned aircraft are very expensive.

hmeasures wrote:What about the lovely EADS Red 7 that is already in the country...?

I'd already been trying for 3 months to get it, no joy sadly! Although the discussions did result in good relationships being built with the Airbus Heritage Group so hopefully we'll get something next year...

Tommy wrote:Heard chatter that the RAF Puma has binned it, too? Have I missed something on here, or...?

The Puma HC2 cancelled from static display due to airframe availability. A real shame as the Squadron had got 1563 Flight markings created for the aircraft to complete our Belize display alongside the Harrier GR3.

Viggen37 wrote:This is not a good enough way to treat the Paying Public , please treat us like adults and TELL US WHY , these acts have pulled out . Do you not think we have a right to know ?. It would stop the speculation , no matter how bad the news always tell people the truth .

SEMAE wrote:I do not think it is good enough to cancel a display without giving any reason. Out of common courtesy, anyone should be deserving to be given a reason. It is the least one can do.

Viggen37 wrote:I am quite sure RD , gave the Flying Com a reason. I would like the Flying Com to give it to those of us here who would like to know , or has Vlad the Slayer imposed rule overnight and free speech and accountability have been swept aside?.

Without wanting to sound rude... I was bit busy to be sat on internet forums answering questions. :surrender:

I wouldn't say that visitors are entitled to know everything that goes on behind the scenes for any large public event, and I don't like being accused of going mute on such things. I think (again not wanting to sound arrogant/cocky) I've been a lot more open that other events during the last nine months and announced aircraft to UKAR first etc etc. The fact on Thursday, Friday & Saturday nights I was working on the airfield until 10pm meant when I did get back to the Officers Mess I think I was entitled to relax with a cold beer with my colleagues rather that firing up my laptop to check on UKAR.

But, as I'm a nice guy and have had a top top weekend, I will give you an answer. The weather was not the deciding factor, it was a logistical/operational issue that both RAF Cosford & Ramex Delta were both working hard to overcome. Their participation was cancelled by the French Air Force, these things happen. Let's move on, focus on the positives of a great show yesterday with what did turn up! And also look forward to their UK debut at Fairford.

pb643 wrote:
Adamwilliams132 wrote:And Oman

Cranwell still?

India is the only country to still operate the Jaguar. The airframes previously operated at RAF Cranwell are now all at RAF Cosford, you should have noticed a large number of them in the static displays parks.

kianelle wrote:Do we know if the f16 is releasing flairs'?

Mooshie1956 wrote:
kianelle wrote:Dose anyone know why the f16 diplay aircraft changed from fridays practice .

Don't quote me but it could be something to do with the main display aircraft being armed with live flares, or that's what we thought. Cloud base was to low for flares in my opinion.

Well both airframes arrived armed with flares, and the display pilot was intending to deploy them! There was a technical issue with the release system on the airframe hence why they didn't fire off.

Phewwww.... :sweat:

[center]Could I please ask everyone who came to post feedback in the thread that was created yesterday, good or bad! It will all be looked at in the various wash-up meetings scheduled for the next few weeks. Also please do fill in the official survey on the website, which enters you into a price draw for tickets to next year's show too! http://cosfordairshow.co.uk/survey.php[/center]

Corky

Post by Corky »

Peter, as a person who really enjoyed yesterdays show and look forward to going again in the future can I just say a huge thank you for all the hard work you and your team put in, and another huge thank you for the fantastic communication you have put on this forum throughout the year. Its been easy to keep up with what's going on thanks to your posts and I believe more air shows could learn from how you have kept us here all up to date. Again just a huge thank you, enjoy some time to yourself now!

st24

Post by st24 »

PeterR wrote:
Tommy wrote:Heard chatter that the RAF Puma has binned it, too? Have I missed something on here, or...?

The Puma HC2 cancelled from static display due to airframe availability. A real shame as the Squadron had got 1563 Flight markings created for the aircraft to complete our Belize display alongside the Harrier GR3.

Even more hard to take as Black Peter was sent all the way to Corsica for the Solenzara show... :confused:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

harkins

Post by harkins »

st24 wrote:Even more hard to take as Black Peter was sent all the way to Corsica for the Solenzara show... :confused:

To be fair, I've gained the impression from this site that beyond the Red Arrows, the UK's contribution to overseas shows is not very good. So it's actually good to hear that we sent something to their show. It must surely help the efforts of our air display organisers when seeking foreign participation.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Still going through all my pic's from the day and when I had a look at the Hurricane from the final display taking off and seen from someone's photo in the photo thread it made me remember the short burst of smoke from the Stearmans of the Wingwalkers, at the time I thought this was accidental, now after seeing a few pic's I wonder if this was intentional (for photo shoots) as the Buchon had just done a low level pass of the airfield with the pyro technic machine gun attack. If so well done to a nice added touch to recreate a scene that most probably happened.
Even if not thanks for a wonderful photo opportunity got a great shot of the Hurricane taking off with added smoke :biggrin:
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Jamie87

Post by Jamie87 »

I too thought that the Wingwalker smoke was intentional for the final piece.

Even if it wasn't, they should totally blag that it was.
Cosford, RIAT, Rhyl, Southport

st24

Post by st24 »

Mooshie1956 wrote:Still going through all my pic's from the day and when I had a look at the Hurricane from the final display taking off and seen from someone's photo in the photo thread it made me remember the short burst of smoke from the Stearmans of the Wingwalkers, at the time I thought this was accidental, now after seeing a few pic's I wonder if this was intentional (for photo shoots) as the Buchon had just done a low level pass of the airfield with the pyro technic machine gun attack. If so well done to a nice added touch to recreate a scene that most probably happened.
Even if not thanks for a wonderful photo opportunity got a great shot of the Hurricane taking off with added smoke :biggrin:

The Hurricane caused it's own smoke a couple of times as that Merlin just did not like going inverted - as it rolled she spluttered a bit and big blob of black stuff came out of the old girl..
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Judging by Rich Goodwin's tweets and FB page, it was actually Peter Dickson doing the commentary for his display - him off the telly what does X Factor and Britain's Got Talent. Could've fooled me, he certainly knew his stuff!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016