Early arrival from the south

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
kph100

Early arrival from the south

Post by kph100 »

Hi
We plan to arrive 7am to 7.30 am and will be travelling from the south ie Kidderminster direction.
1. Is there a place to park up from this direction before the gates open at 8.30am ?
2. I take it from this direction we will enter via the purple entrance.

I note that the car parks are onsite, so does this mean that during the day we can return to the car easily and therefore save carrying chairs etc when walking around static stuff first thing in the morning ?

Thank you
Ian

iainpeden

Re: Early arrival from the south

Post by iainpeden »

Having read the main thread I think there are early bird car parks
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

CJS

Post by CJS »

It sounds from what others, including Peter, have been saying that you get held in an earlybird area then get directed to (hopefully) car park one (nearest the crowdline) when the site opens. What time that area opens I don't know.

Certainly you can come and go from your car - in fact it sounds like some people don't ever leave the car parks!
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

smr

Post by smr »

This is a point that interests me ... about people staying with their cars. I have a 4 year old and two teenagers as well as the missus coming with me, so as you can understand it would be nice to set up camp next to the car.

I haven't been to an airshow for years... what are the advantages of being on the crowd line - just closer to the action I guess ? Even if you're on the crowd line it's going to be tough (especially with a family ) bagging a seat right at the front having a totally unrestricted view of the runway... from the aerial satellite picture car parks 1, 2 and 3 don't look very far from the runway anyway, and as it's an air show you'd be looking up at the sky 90 percent of the time anyway... so in that sense there's almost no reason to be in a mad rush to get to the very front or on the crowdline anyway would there? Or am I missing something?

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

smr wrote:This is a point that interests me ... about people staying with their cars. I have a 4 year old and two teenagers as well as the missus coming with me, so as you can understand it would be nice to set up camp next to the car.

I haven't been to an airshow for years... what are the advantages of being on the crowd line - just closer to the action I guess ? Even if you're on the crowd line it's going to be tough (especially with a family ) bagging a seat right at the front having a totally unrestricted view of the runway... from the aerial satellite picture car parks 1, 2 and 3 don't look very far from the runway anyway, and as it's an air show you'd be looking up at the sky 90 percent of the time anyway... so in that sense there's almost no reason to be in a mad rush to get to the very front or on the crowdline anyway would there? Or am I missing something?

Well being on the crowd line you get unobstructed view of the displays, if you stay with your car your view will be blocked ie you won't be able to see the choppers when they get down low or the Jaguar taxi

I spent last year based out of my car which was quite handy as you don't need to carry stuff about and if it starts raining you just jump back in.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Cosford is more unique (I know that's not really possible) than most airshows because the taxying Jags are a big draw for some, which obviously will be best viewed the closer you are to the runway. Remember though that a) most of the displays are in the sky and b) a proportion of the display acts are not taking off or landing at Cosford, so your view of their displays won't be restricted. F16, F18, 558 and 727 to name but 4 will be arriving from Shawbury.

I've never found a burning desire to leg it to the fence at RIAT, although I appreciate that if photos are your thing you might want to be as near as possible. Re: the helicopter displays, if you miss any of it due to not being at the crowdline it will only be a tiny fraction of the action.

Enjoy :smile:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

smr

Post by smr »

Thanks for the replies. Is there enough room next to your car to put up a 4 man tent or is it just big enough for a 2 man tent?

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

smr wrote:Thanks for the replies. Is there enough room next to your car to put up a 4 man tent or is it just big enough for a 2 man tent?

No room for either really, they are parked in close.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

smr wrote:Thanks for the replies. Is there enough room next to your car to put up a 4 man tent or is it just big enough for a 2 man tent?

What is it with people and there tents,gazebos,temp houses,anyone would think they were staying a week :)

Ray Purchase

Post by Ray Purchase »

AARDVARK wrote:

What is it with people and there tents,gazebos,temp houses,anyone would think they were staying a week :)

I'm hoping to build a small shed when I arrive. Will this be OK?
Will there be somewhere I can buy nails and other hardware?
That was the best full English breakfast I've had since Gary Wilmot's wedding.