Cosford 2016 Wishlist?

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
frank

Re: Cosford 2016 Wishlist?

Post by frank »

PeterR wrote:Interesting array of opinions and thoughts, so thanks for them. :up:

I actually did a poll of a similar topic on Twitter yesterday, asking if people thought "jet trucks, aircraft vs car races and related activities have a place at airshows today." 65% of responses were against these 'side attractions', but it should be remembered that most of the people completing the survey were likely enthusiasts. However there was also discussion that such diversification sometimes enhance events and flying displays. Actually my final year project at university (AKA Dissertation) which I am currently writing the proposal for will tackle this issue and the state of the UK airshow industry as a whole but that's a different topic... The whole team at RAF Cosford remain dedicated to delivering the Midland's premier aviation event and whilst I agree attracting rare and exciting aircraft to the show is essential to this, we must also remain open minded to provide enjoyment for all the family and keep innovating in the entertainment side of airshows.

Back on topic; there will be more details about the RAF Cosford Air Show 2016 announced in the next few weeks so keep your eyes peeled! :ninja:

One of the things I have noticed when they have "stuff" happening on the ground is that spectators further back cant see what`s going on and/or there is a push to the front to see. So I personally don't like these kinda of things for that reason.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Already nominated above, but I'd love to see the Bronco demo team at Cosford, and can't disagree on the Alizé.

Throughly appreciated Rich Goodwin this year, it would to great to have him back, and how about the Red Bull Matadors or even Patrouille Reva to display something a little out of the ordinary among the civvie teams.

The Belgian Red Devils showed well at Cosford, so maybe the FAF could send Cartouche Doré..?

but all that aside, I'm sure a well rounded display from helicopter to reheat and all points in between will be as entertaining as ever. :cool:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Always thought Patrulla Aspa would look good on the Cosford display line :-)

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

frank wrote:One of the things I have noticed when they have "stuff" happening on the ground is that spectators further back cant see what`s going on and/or there is a push to the front to see. So I personally don't like these kinda of things for that reason.

It was like that this year when the Jaguars were on the runway. Only a fairly small percentage of spectators could see anything.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

DerekF wrote:
frank wrote:One of the things I have noticed when they have "stuff" happening on the ground is that spectators further back cant see what`s going on and/or there is a push to the front to see. So I personally don't like these kinda of things for that reason.

It was like that this year when the Jaguars were on the runway. Only a fairly small percentage of spectators could see anything.

Well, yeah, given that they're at ground level, unless the entire crowdline is a grandstand! :grin:

I like those kind of things happening. It fills the gap when there's no flying, and are usually quite early in the morning, before the real hustle and bustle on the crowdline starts, and it's nice to see more to do with the day jobs of the people actually at Cosford, and it whets the appetite for the flying.

Plus.... live(ish) Jags! :love:

For me, it's better than nothing, which iirc, is what there used to be, bar the odd GA arrival! :smile:

Using the live Jags as an example, I'm not sure what solution there could be for people at the back not seeing stuff on the ground, and I don't think that just because those at the back can't see, it's justification for the removal of the feature/segment/whatever. :dunno:

People have asked on here for the Jags to taxi at the show for years, indeed, I remember Chas/D200 made quite a deal of it when the show first started doing it back in 2012, and rightly so. :smile:

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Oh don't get me wrong - it would have been nice to see live Jaguars but it also has to be appreciated that the vast majority of the crowd couldn't see anything. Would I miss it if it wasn't in next years show? No, you can't miss what you never saw in the first place.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Well if the entire crowd went to the eastern end then the same problem would arise. All I'm saying is that ground-based items have limited scope at airshows. That's all. Far better replaced with a flying item that everyone can see rather than just those that have camped at the crowdline since the gates opened.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

DerekF wrote:All I'm saying is that ground-based items have limited scope at airshows. That's all. Far better replaced with a flying item that everyone can see rather than just those that have camped at the crowdline since the gates opened.

True, ground-based items do have limited scope at an airshow, but so-long as they don't take place at the expense of the flying display, then they can add to it well.

As I said, taking the Jaguar taxi demo, before Cosford started making that a part of the display, the time when it's usually on (circa 10.00am, iirc?) never had any flying during that time apart from the odd arrival (which still happens anyway between the Jaguar taxi demo). So if one wanted to get rid of said taxi demo, it wouldn't be replaced with any flying in the show's current format.

Where I do agree with you, is that ground-based displays shouldn't take place at the expense of any flying, but that's different from at Cosford where, as I repeat the above, no display flying took place in that slot anyway.

Therefore, unless the argument is for Cosford to increase the length of the flying display, then, to me at least, the taxi demo is a decent and efficient use of time, which doesn't compromise any flying display time, where there would otherwise be little/nothing going on (static park notwithstanding), and, perhaps most importantly, educates those who CAN see it about the role Cosford plays as part of the RAF, and what SoTT do.

As I said before, I'm not sure what the solution would be to the problem, though.

On the point (as if anyone's still listening to me rambling on!), some shows combine a ground-based display really, really well. The first example I can think of would be the Cosby Victory show, which has a full-scale land battle, and then an air display, at two different points on the showground, which does cause a bit of an exodus, but the point is that people enjoy both elements, even if it is difficult to see the land battle...

I dunno... maybe I need some more mulled-wine.... :dunno: :cuppa: :grin:

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Evening All! :wave:

Coming back on some of the feedback presented:

davidjones533 wrote:There was no Tornado display last year either, but I do recall seeing one or two in the air at RIAT...

Even though there is no longer a dedicated 'display' or 'role demonstration' available for the type, events can still bid for the Tornado GR4 to participate in the form of static display or flypast. Obviously we can't have the aircraft static at RAF Cosford (but we do have a couple of Tornado GR1 which will be). For the last 3 years the show has applied for Tornado GR4 flypast but sadly never been successful due to the high tempo of operations that the fleet is undergoing. I imagine that trend will continue for 2016.

Wrexham Mackem wrote:I'm sure a well rounded display from helicopter to reheat and all points in between will be as entertaining as ever.

It's reassuring to see that so many of the international display items I included on our invitation lists have been specifically mentioned in this thread, we must be doing something right! Our aim when it comes to both international military displays and civilian acts too is to give exactly what you have described, a varied mix of aircraft together to fulfill our aims. Obviously in with that mix we will focus on our key themes both with individual displays and interesting set pieces. Unfortunately it's now the long waiting came until April/May to see what international support we receive!

DerekF wrote:Far better replaced with a flying item that everyone can see rather than just those that have camped at the crowdline since the gates opened.

The Jaguar taxi-demonstration costs us £0.00, if you can find me a flying display item that costs the same I'll take you up on it! In all seriousness though, the ground display from the Jaguars showcases the daily work at RAF Cosford, is something unique to the show and is something that is highlighted as a positive for many of our visitors. Granted not *everyone* can see it, but I don't think that's a good enough reason not to have it. The only decision that needs to be made on the demonstration for 2016 is which airframes to use...

G-AMPY wrote:Gannet please..! :up:

Rest assured it is being considered! I started work on it roughly four hours after their Facebook post reference Farnborough but we shall have to wait and see what develops of the proposed tour.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

PeterR wrote:
DerekF wrote:Far better replaced with a flying item that everyone can see rather than just those that have camped at the crowdline since the gates opened.

The Jaguar taxi-demonstration costs us £0.00, if you can find me a flying display item that costs the same I'll take you up on it! In all seriousness though, the ground display from the Jaguars showcases the daily work at RAF Cosford, is something unique to the show and is something that is highlighted as a positive for many of our visitors. Granted not *everyone* can see it, but I don't think that's a good enough reason not to have it. The only decision that needs to be made on the demonstration for 2016 is which airframes to use...

It's good that jet fuel costs so little or do the Jaguars use something else? I'm glad some are getting excited about Jaguars taxiing - if seeing retired aircraft taxiing is a highlight then airshows are not what they used to be. Maybe I'm just getting old....

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

DerekF wrote:
PeterR wrote:

It's good that jet fuel costs so little or do the Jaguars use something else? I'm glad some are getting excited about Jaguars taxiing - if seeing retired aircraft taxiing is a highlight then airshows are not what they used to be. Maybe I'm just getting old....

I think the point Peter is trying to make here is, the cost of the fuel is not coming out of the airshow budget.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

German Army Bo 105. :biggrin:

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Cynicism & old-age are inextricably coupled my dear DF. The 'Fact' is, that Air-shows will never again be what they were! I work on the old principle that if something is no longer enjoyable to you.... Do it no longer!
Better to stay at home & reminisce on the 'good old days' maybe? If you can't 'see good' in anything, it pretty much makes no difference where you stand!

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

I will be happy if i see apache demo team eurofighter bbmf anything else will be a bonus
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Recently I was reminded how much I REALLY want to see the Supermarine Seafire LF III at Cosford, easily a star item for me for the already impressive line up! :biggrin:

What are the odds of it displaying, Peter?
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

I saw Seafire MK III PP972 at duxford flying legends cracking display
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

The Vampire that's been announced for wellsbourne would make a great addition to the jet engine theme.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Adamwilliams132 wrote:The Vampire that's been announced for wellsbourne would make a great addition to the jet engine theme.

Was just thinking that! Great way of splitting costs :whistle:
Still waiting for the Seafire and Blenheim though Peter chop chop :grin:

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

Pringles wrote:
Adamwilliams132 wrote:The Vampire that's been announced for wellsbourne would make a great addition to the jet engine theme.

From what I've read on Facebook it's not displaying at wellsbourne. Just arriving and departing the show. Not sure how this effects its ability to display elsewhere during the day.

Also the SWAHF !!

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

Adamwilliams132 wrote:
Pringles wrote:

Also the SWAHF !!

They are not displaying in the UK this year.

Timc

Post by Timc »

Slappywing wrote:
They are not displaying in the UK this year.

Depends on whether you class Jersey, being a Crown Dependency, as part of the UK?

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Adamwilliams132 wrote:
Pringles wrote:

From what I've read on Facebook it's not displaying at wellsbourne. Just arriving and departing the show. Not sure how this effects its ability to display elsewhere during the day.

Yes not long after I posted that I realised that especially given the new CAA rules a lot of work and money would need to go into oranising a display, from pilot hours to insurance costs