RAF Cosford Air Show 2016 - [Official Topic]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
HeyfordDave111

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2016 - [Official Topic]

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Sorry chaps, I didn't attend but did a Voyager fly though yesterday?

One came across country from racetrack tanking duties off the east coast and watching FR24, pretty much flew over Cosford, but no mention of it on these pages!
Got to love Russianhardware

I.Winfield

Post by I.Winfield »

The Baron wrote:
106500 wrote:At least the Daily Fail can be relied upon to give us all a laugh!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -show.html

Since when have the Red Arrows used 10 aircraft?
Usual poor reporting...

Not only that, but in that photo they say 'Two of the 10', when there are clearly 3 aircraft in the photo :wall:
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/i_winfield/
Twitter: @IWinfield1

jason82wells

Post by jason82wells »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:Sorry chaps, I didn't attend but did a Voyager fly though yesterday?

No we didn't see one yesterday, got the atlas & hercybird from the RAF

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Adamwilliams132 wrote:The BUFF has been explained, but there's no excuses for the C-130 and A-400M only doing one straight fly past. Big backlash in there Facebook page with people not happy about what they got for £20-£25 compared to a free seaside show. I love going to Cosford but if it's gonna be lacklustre like this again they might as well call it a day the RAF can't be bothered to support it so why would Foriegn Air Arms bother to send anything.

Anyone know what happens to the fees paid to acts if they don't turn up ?

Have the heavies done more than one fly through in previous years? if not why expect them to do more this year?

Pelendava

Post by Pelendava »

First time I went with 2 young children, just because it is only 40 miles from us. Thought, time to give this a go! Very poor. Very poor. Only 1 fast jet. One!!! Honestly, whoever goes to an air show to see slow propeller planes and 3 helicopters?? Ground displays? A dozen derelict Jaguars.
The size of crowd was totally disproportionate to the quality of the event.
Took us 2 and a half hours to get back home, out of which 1 hour was to exit the damn base! :wall:

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

Pelendava wrote:First time I went with 2 young children, just because it is only 40 miles from us. Thought, time to give this a go! Very poor. Very poor. Only 1 fast jet. One!!! Honestly, whoever goes to an air show to see slow propeller planes and 3 helicopters?? Ground displays? A dozen derelict Jaguars.
Took us 2 and a half hours to get back home, out of which 1 hour was to exit the damn base! :wall:

You ok, hun?

The line-up was advertised beforehand. Not sure what else you were expecting?

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

I take my hat off to the guys that tried their best organise the show. It must be a difficult challenge at the best of times and totally impossible to please everyone.

It was a disappointing show - I will admit that. The weather did not help any of the displays from start to finish. I packed away after the Chinook as I couldn't see the rain abating. I don't think it did stop. Obviously with so many display acts seemingly coming in from elsewhere, the weather across the country put pay to a number of acts that were not able to make it... like the Gnats, the Red Tail P-51 and the much anticipated Sea Vixen.

I know somebody has already said that the display height/distance is exactly the same as in previous years, the perception (my own and that of people around me) was that stuff was flying more sedate, higher and further away. Can we have some official confirmation on this please?

I have to say I will think twice about which shows I attend in future. I'm kind of in the mind of thinking that this will be RIAT's last big hurrah. I have no facts to back that up, just my hunch.

Good luck next year Team Cosford...
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Pelendava wrote:First time I went with 2 young children, just because it is only 40 miles from us. Thought, time to give this a go! Very poor. Very poor. Only 1 fast jet. One!!! Honestly, whoever goes to an air show to see slow propeller planes and 3 helicopters?? Ground displays? A dozen derelict Jaguars.

Who ever goes to an airshow to see prop planes? People that enjoy hearing the whistle of a Mustang, the roar of the Spitfires, Hurricanes and Lancasters. Not to mention hundreds of others and the history involved. Other people may enjoy the King Air? And acts like that? I certainly do? The World War 1 team as well, showing off history? The Atlas which is the RAF's new transport aircraft? I could go on.
Also, for the one fast jet did you not check the line up before you went?
What is wrong with an Apache? You know the frontline RAF attack helicopter? The Chinook, which is, i think the best helicopter display in Europe. The only place in the UK or Europe you can see Jaguars on display that are taxi worthy! The show was set to have a B-52 and a Sea Vixen. Two of which are coups. The Weather is clearly at fault. The crowd are supporting the RAF's only show. If it was sunny would you be complaining?
One last point, its not a base.
Rant over. Heres to a good 2017 and i'm sure it will be.
Last edited by Airshowhammer on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

CJS

Post by CJS »

The posts get more and more bizarre as the thread wears on. :facepalm:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

sunwing

Post by sunwing »

Has anybody got a full list for the show including all items dotted around hangers

Many thanks
Paul

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Very few pics posted so far, so I'll have to ask.

Typhoon was clearly not the camo one as requested through social media, that was worthwhile, King Air is showing little in the way of anniversary marks, any other specials turn up - Chinook, Hercules, Atlas? :dunno:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

countryman

Post by countryman »

God, what a load of whingers here !

This was my first time at Cosford and I'd definitely go again. One of the themes was 'training' and that was reflected in the choice of many of the displays and gave me a chance to see a lot of aircraft that I'd not seen before.

I thought that The Great War Display Team display was superb. Never seen them nor even heard of them before. Great choreography.

No problem getting in to park or in leaving.

I was in the Cosford Club which was a great location as the all the displays were aligned on that point. My only criticism about the Club was the awful (and over-priced) catering van.

OK - perhaps not flash, bang, crash, wallop...but there's RIAT for that. There's always room in my book for a more gentle and considered air show..

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

sunwing wrote:Has anybody got a full list for the show including all items dotted around hangers

Typing mine up now!
capercaillie wrote:Typhoon was clearly not the camo one as requested through social media, that was worthwhile, King Air is showing little in the way of anniversary marks, any other specials turn up - Chinook, Hercules, Atlas? :dunno:

Typhoon display was an unmarked aircraft, special marked King Air was nicely positioned on static, all three Chinook specials are broken I believe, both special marked Hercules are overseas, not sure on the Atlas, but it was a plain one.

JJC

Post by JJC »

capercaillie wrote:Very few pics posted so far, so I'll have to ask.

Typhoon was clearly not the camo one as requested through social media, that was worthwhile, King Air is showing little in the way of anniversary marks, any other specials turn up - Chinook, Hercules, Atlas? :dunno:

Nope! Not quite sure on the Atlas, but the others I can confirm were not the specials...

King Air looks pretty terrible compared to the 'Full Camel' which won the online poll... :tumbleweed:

One more issue from me: the show start time was advertised at 12, so hearing about the Reds/King Air flypast happening before that time slightly irritated me (I caught the train in and wasn't able to arrive until 11:45 - which turned into 12:05 in reality, as Network Rail decided to do maintenance on the line, the night before one of Shropshire's biggest events) :confused:

I assume the Atlas flypast was given by a crew/aircraft already tasked for something else, which I can understand being slotted in at whatever time it was available.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Hampshire Aviation wrote:
sunwing wrote:Has anybody got a full list for the show including all items dotted around hangers

Typing mine up now!
capercaillie wrote:Typhoon was clearly not the camo one as requested through social media, that was worthwhile, King Air is showing little in the way of anniversary marks, any other specials turn up - Chinook, Hercules, Atlas? :dunno:

Typhoon display was an unmarked aircraft, special marked King Air was nicely positioned on static, all three Chinook specials are broken I believe, both special marked Hercules are overseas, not sure on the Atlas, but it was a plain one.

:facepalm: They always pick the good ones :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

st24

Post by st24 »

It was a really good RAF Cosford open day. It was a pretty poor premier RAF showpiece event.

Hampshire Aviation wrote: special marked King Air was nicely positioned on static,.

Seriously?! penned in by cones with (IIRC) a "RAF" Bentley coupe on one side and a tent on the other. Dreadful positioning- as was pretty much everything else really... :facepalm:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

When I walked past at around 10am, the Bentley was a good 5ft off the wing, and the cones were just next to it :question:

I didn't notice the tent, but then, I generally accept there will be such things at airshows.

st24

Post by st24 »

Hampshire Aviation wrote:I didn't notice the tent, but then, I generally accept there will be such things at airshows.

Agreed but not next to a specially marked machine that we realistically probably only have one more show to try and snap it.

Forgot to mention that there was a significant secondary crowd...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

andrewn

Post by andrewn »

st24 wrote:
Hampshire Aviation wrote:I didn't notice the tent, but then, I generally accept there will be such things at airshows.

Forgot to mention that there was a significant secondary crowd...

Which did not go un-noticed by FDD...

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

JJC wrote:
capercaillie wrote:Very few pics posted so far, so I'll have to ask.

Nope! Not quite sure on the Atlas, but the others I can confirm were not the specials...

King Air looks pretty terrible compared to the 'Full Camel' which won the online poll... :tumbleweed:

One more issue from me: the show start time was advertised at 12, so hearing about the Reds/King Air flypast happening before that time slightly irritated me (I caught the train in and wasn't able to arrive until 11:45 - which turned into 12:05 in reality, as Network Rail decided to do maintenance on the line, the night before one of Shropshire's biggest events) :confused:

I assume the Atlas flypast was given by a crew/aircraft already tasked for something else, which I can understand being slotted in at whatever time it was available.

Sorry JJC, going to call you out on that bit in bold. We don't just 'decide to maintenance' on a whim to annoy air show goers. The maintenance of any railway line we are responsible for is planned in most cases up to several years in advance and has to be in full 'agreement' with our customers (in this case, London Midland and Arriva Trains Wales).

There are probably ten times more people than air show goers who would be up in arms if that maintenance stopped them from going to work on the Monday morning instead. And there are even some people who get quite excited when the railways are closed for upgrade works over Christmas. At some point, stuff needs to be maintained, and it can't all be maintained at the same time.

Please accept my unofficial Network Rail apologies if you were delayed due to planned maintenance. In a utopia, I would like to think that 'Team Cosford' liaise with Network Rail and it's customers to avoid a clash with maintenance or some other significant delay.

:smile:
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

G for George wrote:I'm afraid to say that I can't see myself attending the air show again. Not because of cancellations or bad weather, and I applaud the booking team for their efforts in an increasingly difficult climate in trying to secure items. Once again, any non-motorway traffic coming from the direction of the A5 were forced into a contraflow lane and herded down the lanes (by blatantly lying, third party traffic 'coordinators') into the off-base carpark. Cosford is unique (I believe?) in that it allows people to view from their vehicles for whatever reason. This is a major selling point for people like myself, an enthusiast who also happens to have non-enthusiast family members who, traditionally have watched the display from the comfort of our car. I've been told if I attend next year I'll be on my own.

Same issue with what I experienced,

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Pelendava wrote:Honestly, whoever goes to an air show to see slow propeller planes and 3 helicopters??

Lolz is this actually a real criticism of the show? :facepalm:

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

We had no trouble getting into or out off cosford from coach park shame about weather though and a few acts unable to attend
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

NTG1610

Post by NTG1610 »

Many thanks
Paul

Military and Civil aircraft noted at yesterdays show

missing are Red arrows(not required by me) but feel free to add for completeness

and the Great War Display Team a/c as above

star act for me the New(first time in public) Gazelle Squadron Display Team https://www.flickr.com/photos/52287882@ ... 7271118104

G-ATSI Bolkow 208 Junior
G-BNRP Piper PA-28-181 Cherokee Archer
G-COSF Piper PA-28-161 Warrior II

WZ744 Avro 707C Royal Air Force Museum
XX118 SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1
XR977 Folland Gnat T.1 Royal Air Force Museum
XW175 Hawker-Siddeley Harrier T.4(VAAC) Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
ZB615 SEPECAT Jaguar T.2 Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
WG777 Fairey FD.2 Royal Air Force Museum

Between H1 and H2
XX723/EU SEPECAT Jaguar GR.3A Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
XX835/ET SEPECAT Jaguar T.4 Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
XX748/L SEPECAT Jaguar GR.3A Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering

ZK460 Beech B200GT King Air RAF - Royal Air Force

Hangar 3
WN149 Boulton Paul Balliol T.2 Boulton Paul Aircraft Heritage Project
G-CGKR Grob G115E Tutor T.1 Babcock Aerospace/RAF - Royal Air Force
XX976/BD SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1 Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
XV653/63 Westland Sea King HAS.6 Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
XZ389/BL SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1 Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
XX967/AC SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1 Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering

Between H3 and H4
XX767/Z SEPECAT Jaguar GR.3A Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
XZ377/P SEPECAT Jaguar GR.3A Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
XX840/T SEPECAT Jaguar T.4 Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
XX724/C SEPECAT Jaguar GR.3 Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
XX969/01 SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1 Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
XZ391/ET SEPECAT Jaguar GR.3A Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
XZ104/FM SEPECAT Jaguar GR.3A Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
XZ115/ER SEPECAT Jaguar GR.3A Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering

H4
XX738/ED SEPECAT Jaguar GR.3A Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
XZ114/EO SEPECAT Jaguar GR.3A Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
XZ117/ES SEPECAT Jaguar GR.3A Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering

Outside H4 Far End
ZA320/TAW Panavia Tornado GR.1 Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
ZA169/515 Westland Sea King HAS.6 Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
ZA128/10 Westland Sea King HAS.6 Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
XV659/62 Westland Sea King HAS.6 Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
XZ374/JC SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1 Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering

ZA323/TAZ Panavia Tornado GR.1 Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
XX725/KC-F SEPECAT Jaguar GR.3A Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering

ZJ184 Westland Apache AH.1 Army Air Corps
M2 Aerospatiale SA.316B Alouette III Belgian Navy
G-SDTL Guimbal Cabri G2 The Gazelle Squadron Display Team
G-TREE Bell 206B Jet Ranger III Heliflight (UK) Ltd
G-BLGV Bell 206B Jet Ranger II Heliflight (UK) Ltd
G-SPEY Agusta-Bell 206B JetRanger II Castle Air Ltd
G-NOXY Robinson R44 Raven I TA Knox Shopfitters Ltd
G-OMAA Eurocopter EC135 T2+ Babcock Mission Critical Services Onshore Ltd/WMAA
ZH796/001 British Aerospace Sea Harrier F/A.2
G-KAXT/XT787 Westland Wasp HAS.1
G-BNGE/TW536 Auster AOP.6
XP820 De Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver AL.1
G-CICR/XR244 Auster AOP.9
G-BURR/WZ706 Auster AOP.9

XX975//8905M/07 SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1 Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
XZ370/JB SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1 Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering

G-781 Lockheed C-130H Hercules Royal Netherlands Air Force
G-CGKG Grob G115E Tutor T.1 Babcock Aerospace/RAF - Royal Air Force
G-BZME/XX698 Scottish Aviation Bulldog Srs.120 Model.121 Witham (Specialist Vehicles) Ltd
G-CBBR/XX625/W-02 Scottish Aviation Bulldog Srs.120 Model.121 Elite Consultancy Corp Ltd
G-DHPM/1365 OGMA DHC-1 Chipmunk
G-BWSG/XW324/U Hunting Percival Jet Provost T.5
XX847/EZ SEPECAT Jaguar T.4 Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
XX833 SEPECAT Jaguar T.2A Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
ZF204 Short Tucano T.1 RAF - Royal Air Force
ZJ260 Eurocopter AS350 BB Squirrel HT.1 Army Air Corps
ZJ234/T Bell 412EP Griffin HT.1 RAF - Royal Air Force
G-ZZLE/XX436/CU-39 Westland WA.341 Gazelle HT.2 The Gazelle Squadron Display Team
97/315-XN Socata TB-30 Epsilon French Air Force
104/315-XU Socata TB-30 Epsilon French Air Force
260 Pilatus PC-9(M) Irish Air Corps

XZ383/AF SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1 Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
XX818/DE SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1 Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
XX968/AJ SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1 Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
ZH192/UE Grob G 109B Vigilant T.1 RAF - Royal Air Force

Far side
ZK452/U Beech B200 King Air RAF - Royal Air Force
ZH893 Boeing-Vertol Chinook HC.4 RAF - Royal Air Force

Display Line
ZJ223 Westland Apache AH.1 Army Air Corps
G-CIBW/XT626/Q Westland Scout AH.1 Historic Aircraft Flight Trust
G-CICN/XT131/B Agusta-Bell 47G-3B-1 Sioux AH.1 Historic Aircraft Flight Trust
G-CBSI/XZ934 Westland WA.341 Gazelle HT.3 The Gazelle Squadron Display Team
G-CBSK/ZB627/A Westland WA.341 Gazelle HT.3 The Gazelle Squadron Display Team
G-BYHL/WG308 De Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk 22
H31 Agusta A.109HA Belgian Army
G-BVVG/68 Red Nanchang (NAMC) CJ6A

G-BUEK Slingsby T.61F Venture T Mk2
ZH185 Grob G 109B Vigilant T.1 RAF - Royal Air Force
XZ991 British Aerospace Harrier GR.3A Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
XF926 Bristol 188 Royal Air Force Museum

XZ367/EE SEPECAT Jaguar GR.3 Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering
XX825/BN SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1 Defence School of Aeronautical Engineering

G-JPVA/XW289/73 Hunting Percival Jet Provost T.5A

Arrivals and Flying Diplay
G-BEZF Grumman-American AA-5 Traveler
G-DCSI Robinson R44 Raven I
G-JOYZ Piper PA-28-181 Cherokee Archer
N242CV Diamond DA42NG Twin Star Quality Bird Inc/Carol Vorderman
G-CTNG Cirrus Design Corp SR20
G-OARU Piper PA-28-181 Cherokee Archer
G-BJST Canadian Car & Foundry T-6J-CCF Harvard Mk.IV
G-SCHI Eurocopter AS350 B2 Ecureuil
G-CGKH Grob G115E Tutor T.1 Babcock Aerospace/RAF - Royal Air Force
G-CGKD Grob G115E Tutor T.1 Babcock Aerospace/RAF - Royal Air Force
G-CGKE Grob G115E Tutor T.1 Babcock Aerospace/RAF - Royal Air Force
ZM405 Airbus A400M Atlas C.1 RAF - Royal Air Force
PZ865 Hawker Hurricane IIc RAF - Royal Air Force
ZK354 Eurofighter Typhoon FGR.4 RAF - Royal Air Force
TE311 Supermarine Spitfire LF.IXe RAF - Royal Air Force
G-AHKX Avro C19 Anson Srs 2 Shuttleworth Collection
G-GWFT Rans S-6 Coyote II ES Royal Aeronautical Society
G-BUTX/LG+01 Bucker BU.133C Jungmeister
G-CDJU/CX+HI CASA C.1-131E Jungmann Series 1000
N104CJ/18 Red WSK-Mielec SBLim-2
ZH888 Lockheed C-130J Hercules C.5 RAF - Royal Air Force
G-BKDR Pitts S-1S Lauren Elizabeth Richardson
ZJ276 Eurocopter AS350 BB Squirrel HT.1 FB Heliservices
ZJ274 Eurocopter AS350 BB Squirrel HT.1 FB Heliservices
ZJ243 Eurocopter AS350 BB Squirrel HT.2 Army Air Corps

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

May I add VP293 (cockpit section) Avro Shackleton T4 which we displayed in the Vintage Village? The world's oldest surviving Shackleton by the way ;)
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/