Traffic question

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
JustGez

Traffic question

Post by JustGez »

Hi all

Very excited to be going to Cosford this year :biggrin:

I am traveling by car and would like to arrive on site around 10 or 11AM. If it was just up to me, I would be there for gates open time, but I don't want to arrive too early as I have a 8 year old son who has a very limited attention span. Just wondering roughly how much time I should allow for traffic/parking. I will be coming from the direction of M54/A41.

TYPHOON3

Re: Traffic question

Post by TYPHOON3 »

JustGez wrote:Hi all

Very excited to be going to Cosford this year :biggrin:

I am traveling by car and would like to arrive on site around 10 or 11AM. If it was just up to me, I would be there for gates open time, but I don't want to arrive too early as I have a 8 year old son who has a very limited attention span. Just wondering roughly how much time I should allow for traffic/parking. I will be coming from the direction of M54/A41.

I have always arrived for gates open time so I would still aim for that.The later you leave it,the more chance of being stuck in a que to get in.Bearing in mind the flying display usually starts around midday you could arrive early,then take your son round the static/hangar displays,funfair or even the museum.Surely one of these will have something to keep him interested until the flying display starts.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

This is a tricky one, back in 2013 I hit the queue at around 8:30 which was only 3-4 miles from the show but didn't get in till gone 2pm but in 2014 I left half an hour earlier and past the same point at which I hit the queue in 2013 at 8am with no sign of a queue and ended up driving straight into the holding car park, that half hour made an incredible difference.

You might aim to get in for 10 or 11am but it's difficult to judge what time you need to hit the queue to actually get in for that time but IMO it's far better to get there early than been sat in the car hours after the show has started.

not_the_dj

Post by not_the_dj »

Get there as early as you can. We've been stuck in the traffic queue for hours with young kids and it's a nightmare. There's plenty to see and do once in the site, so an early start the look round the static stuff....go and sit and in Jaguar and all that.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Agree with the above.. There ought to be plenty to occupy the little un. Maybe get a pad of paper out and write out all the items you can see in the static/ museum..
then as you walk around he can tick them off and give them a mark out of ten depending how much he likes them. Make a game of it and his attention will be glued to his list. Then when you know his favourite items you can go find airfix models of them off the stalls.. I would aim to arrive no later than 8. Far better to be on the base looking for something to do than stuck in the car in a queue of hundreds of cars.

rob68

Post by rob68 »

If you come along the M54 you will be queuing on the hard shoulder at that time with artics going past you at 56mph

JustGez

Post by JustGez »

Thanks for all your replies.

Sounds like there is plenty to do so will take your advice and aim to get there for gates open.

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

Is it better to use the Green or Blue entrance if approaching from the north\M54?

I was thinking if the green entrance was any better to leave the M54, north up the A41 (so away from Cosford), Stanton road and then down Neachley Lane. Worth the effort?

I assume you carn't cut along Long Lane on show day?

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

I came down Neachley lane last year and straight into Farmer Johns field. A few disgruntleds around me muttering where the heck are we..but it worked a treat for me.. stroll up over the bridge and pretty much straight on. Was allowed out back to car to drop off all my merch too then at end of the day no queue at all. Field initially had no temporary pathways laid down but were there by late morning.. I will be going in this way on Sunday.

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

borismorris wrote:I came down Neachley lane last year and straight into Farmer Johns field. A few disgruntleds around me muttering where the heck are we..but it worked a treat for me.. stroll up over the bridge and pretty much straight on. Was allowed out back to car to drop off all my merch too then at end of the day no queue at all. Field initially had no temporary pathways laid down but were there by late morning.. I will be going in this way on Sunday.

Does everyone using the Green entrance end up in the field or do they let some on site that way? I can see the advantage for getting out but I'd rather be able to pop back to my car if I can.

st24

Post by st24 »

Obviously there won't be any traffic problems as advance ticket only sorts that out instantly... :up: :smile:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

st24 wrote:Obviously there won't be any traffic problems as advance ticket only sorts that out instantly... :up: :smile:

It helps but you still have thousands trying to get down tiny roads so queues will be long.

B_Tank88

Post by B_Tank88 »

Joined the queue at 7.40am was parked up by 8.15am :smile: