Want do YOU want to see at RAF Cosford in 2017..?

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
PeterR

Want do YOU want to see at RAF Cosford in 2017..?

Post by PeterR »

A wishlist with a difference... :hide:

Whilst this year's show is probably already a distant memory for some of you, in the Air Show Office, work has already begun looking forward at future shows! As well as addressing all the feedback received in our post show survey, online reports, social media, on this forum, etc, we're looking for as many ideas as possible to move the event forward and make it better for our visitors. A fresh set of eyes views things very differently to that those of us who have seen the show many times!

Rest assured we're currently putting together our international invitation list, with more countries than ever before, and will be trying our hardest to get as many rare and exciting aircraft in the flying display and static display for you to all enjoy on Sunday 11th June. So please don't just turn this into a thread listing every fast jet display in Europe and requesting it, we're already doing that..!

So if you've got idea that you'd like us to take on-board, could be anything, please post it here! We can't promise anything, but anything that is suggested here that could make the show better for everyone, will be investigated! After all, we all live and learn following constructive criticism and feedback...

Floor Open, Tin Hat on!! :hide:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: Want do YOU want to see at RAF Cosford in 2017..?

Post by boff180 »

2017 will be the 70th anniversary of the Bell X-1 undertaking the first ever controlled supersonic flight.

I would therefore suggest a theme called "Supersonic - breaking the barrier"

This would justify invites for as many supersonic/transonic capable aircraft as possible for the flying display both warbird: Swedish, Noggie F-104.etc, HHA's F-4, Hunter and Sea Vixen plus modern military.

This would also be an ideal opportunity to have many of Cosfords test fleet on static to mark supersonic testing.

Andy

p.s. Also an RAF that bothers to support its own airshow

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

boff180 wrote:2017 will be the 70th anniversary of the Bell X-1 undertaking the first ever controlled supersonic flight.

I would therefore suggest a theme called "Supersonic - breaking the barrier"

This would justify invites for as many supersonic/transonic capable aircraft as possible for the flying display both warbird: Swedish, Noggie F-104.etc, HHA's F-4, Hunter and Sea Vixen plus modern military.

This would also be an ideal opportunity to have many of Cosfords test fleet on static to mark supersonic testing.

Andy

p.s. Also an RAF that bothers to support its own airshow

And Cosford really would have the budget for that?
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

That's for Cosford to decide, they've asked for suggestions and that's mine, something that is unique and doesn't appear to be marked at any other show next year at the moment.

How about coming up with a suggestion of your own then?....

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

If you're going to drag museum aircraft out of the hangars, leave them just in front of the hangars for photographic purposes, rather than waste them in the static park surrounded by clutter. Joe Public can look at any old tat down there, they don't care. Parking of your more desirable assets - Spotty Jag, VAAC Harrier, arctic Harrier in better positions.

You might not (probably won't) get in that much at Cosford, but use what you have to best advantage.

Use the best of what is available in this country, display act wise. You know your budget you can work with, you also see enough on here what is rated the best. eg Sea Vixen, Blenheim, Rich Goodwin's Pitts, Great War Display Team, Bronco, Meteors (if about), etc.

Look for some costs from some overseas rarities, they may be prohibitive, I'm sure the Swedes and an F-104 may well be. However, what does the Alize or the Aermacchi MB326 cost?

Look for static NATO/European items that fit well, try for some rarities Italian S208M, Spanish Bonanza or Pillan, Maltese Bulldog, Irish FR172 etc

Flying wise again look for what can operate from Cosford, Czech Mi24, Polish Navy Mi14, Dutch Apache, Swiss Super Puma, Slovenian PC9, even Danish Baby Blue team. Try to have an area where the public can see them crewing up - they love that.

Use Saturday as an enthusiast's day like on the continent, so at least there is a chance to photograph some of the show before its engulfed with the masses. But if you do, keep it a reasonable charge as on the continent, none of this £50 - £75 nonsense. Remember its Cosford not Oshkosh.

In short, it needs to be sensible but imaginative, original not samey. Good luck. :smile:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

strangelookingalien

Post by strangelookingalien »

Classic jets fit Cosford very well for a number of reasons - Viggen, Draken, Sea Vixen, MiG-15, Vampires, Meteors, Canberra (maybe!?) and what I really really want to see - a Hunter.

Good luck! I enjoyed this year but it's a long way to come so will probably only attend next year if the line up looks promising.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

boff180 wrote:That's for Cosford to decide, they've asked for suggestions and that's mine, something that is unique and doesn't appear to be marked at any other show next year at the moment.

A new commentary team after this years terrible effort.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

What happened to the proposal that 2017 would be a two day 'warm up' show for the 2018 centenary celebrations of the RAF?

Is this no longer happening?

strangelookingalien

Post by strangelookingalien »

rdchawk wrote:
boff180 wrote:That's for Cosford to decide, they've asked for suggestions and that's mine, something that is unique and doesn't appear to be marked at any other show next year at the moment.

A new commentary team after this years terrible effort.

Unfortunately I agree.

rob68

Post by rob68 »

Sunshine

CJS

Post by CJS »

The Oilspill Boeing 727 display. Perfect at Cosford's shortish crowdline.

Some kind of thinking out of the box set piece such as the bob tribute a few years ago. Maybe a classic jet flypast - Meteor, JP, Hunter, Sea Vixen, Gnat.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Gazelles, obviously :)

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

More than one current fast jet,no date clashes with overseas shows and a new commentary team.You cannot afford to serve up another show like this year as Joe public will soon start to keep their money in their pockets.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Something from the RAF?

Sundowner

Post by Sundowner »

Apart from the Sea Vixen, I'd bring back the events arena it was good to watch the stuff going in there, the hangars are way too crowded for my liking, maybe more military vehicles on show as well.

I'd also have more fairground rides and stalls etc.........just to piss off the folks that think they're better than "Joe public". :whistle:

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

Stuff I want to see, if Cosford can get them then that's a bonus.

- Nord Noratlas
- Mil-8/17/171 from anywhere, civvie or Mil.
- Mil-24, Czech?
- Anything from the Museum in a good photographic position, what capercaillie said.
- Don't know about runway length, but something from the Securité Civile... a CL-415 water drop like they get at La Ferte..
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Given the USAF's 70th anniversary, it would be nice to see some tailoring of the display to commemorate this. Look at the success of Fly Navy.

Sure you won't be stamping on RIAT's shoes with that theme given the completely different nature of the Cosford event. I don't think the event needs to become too heavily fast jet focussed; I agree that seeing smaller types on the ground preparing for display/close up gives an added dimension to their appearance.

There's a huge range of potential historic aircraft that could be utilised - P40s, P51s, Bronco, Bird Dog, Helio Courier, B-25, A-26, C-47 etc. Even more family-friendly acts like the Breitling Wingwalkers would still be fairly relevant.

Hopefully some Mildenhall/Lakenheath participation could perhaps result also? Air arms could also be encouraged to send relevant types (such as those built in America or where examples also served with the USAF).

st24

Post by st24 »

2day show with an enthusiast's Friday (or move to Sat and have an enthusiast's Sunday) either way you could get some QBF elements. Otherwise what the huge Scottish game bird says..... :up:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

Securitie Civile.

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

EAP outside, flying items that would be suited include Belgian Red Devils, Cartouche Dore, Sea Vixen and Swiss PC7 team :smile:

RS2

Post by RS2 »

A few suitable static items / visiting helis / aircraft on temporary tracking placed between the 06 taxiway and adjacent trees. Aircraft pointing east / north east so that three quarter or head on type shots are possible with an uncluttered natural background. Sun position wouldn't matter with proximity of trees giving that illusive natural uncluttered photo for the die hard photographers. I realise some of this area is used for vehicle public parking but just a few items with a nice backdrop would make a difference. Not a Cessna or Pa28 though (not that I have anything against them) but if you do secure this area make it something suitable if possible.
Return of a role demo from Shawbury, used to love the Wessex pair zipping around with underslung loads and dropping a few troops, may even be last opportunity with Griffins if they haven't already gone by then.
Anything large that can display rather than fly through, flamant or noratlass would have a great presence at Cosford giving the nature of the venue, just look how popular the 727 was, probably very very unrealistic but imagine the NZ 757 there!

Rebecca_1984

Post by Rebecca_1984 »

Firstly a new commentator who can actually see what is going on, this years commentator well the less said the better I'm afraid,

All this talk of Viggen / Draken well we would all like to see them and the F104 from Norway should it ever get back into the sky but can we actually see the CAA allowing them over given the current restriction on the Swedish Historic Flight coming to UK shows.

Hopefully some foreign military fast jets can be made available, I know airshows are not able to "book" such things but hopefully if Cosford does not clash with major European events we might get lucky in that respect.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Unless they move the tower the commentator won't be able to see any better next year than he could this year.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Westhammatt

Post by Westhammatt »

I'd like to see the swordfish, I know the fairy gannet is potentionally due over next year from across the pond of they can get the funding. The Lysander from shuttle worth is rarely seen outside of there displays. The hunter from scampton also but obviously after last year would it be allowed. The Netherlands Mitchell as well. In terms of display teams Bournemouth or Eastbourne I can't remember which had an unusual display team from France which looked more like something from Star Wars (can't remember there name) I'm sure this would give a different outlook on extra 300 displays or Pitts displays. A role demo would be great like they do at yeovilton but incorporate the raf aircraft and raf Reg such as the gr4 and typhoon with puma support . Please don't shoot me down as these are only my suggestions and I was trying to keep it as sensible as possible :whistle:

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Westhammatt wrote:I'd like to see the swordfish, I know the fairy gannet is potentionally due over next year from across the pond of they can get the funding. The Lysander from shuttle worth is rarely seen outside of there displays. The hunter from scampton also but obviously after last year would it be allowed. The Netherlands Mitchell as well. In terms of display teams Bournemouth or Eastbourne I can't remember which had an unusual display team from France which looked more like something from Star Wars (can't remember there name) I'm sure this would give a different outlook on extra 300 displays or Pitts displays. A role demo would be great like they do at yeovilton but incorporate the raf aircraft and raf Reg such as the gr4 and typhoon with puma support . Please don't shoot me down as these are only my suggestions and I was trying to keep it as sensible as possible :whistle:

Patrouille Reva?
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.