Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Post by Tommy »

PeterR wrote:
Lucasjmet15 wrote:Anybody got any info in the Wessex ?? :whistle:

That was meant to be a surprise for everyone on Sunday..! :facepalm:

One change today is that the RAF Puma HC2 will now be arriving and departing during the flying display, parking on the grass flightline. :up:

Wessex looks toppers, & no complaints about the Puma arriving on the day!

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

EAP is looking ace there Peter :cool:

Nearly there now, here's to a good show :cuppa: :up:

And yes, Puma arriving during the show is a great result.

Lucasjmet15

Post by Lucasjmet15 »

PeterR wrote:
Lucasjmet15 wrote:Anybody got any info in the Wessex ?? :whistle:

That was meant to be a surprise for everyone on Sunday..! :facepalm:

One change today is that the RAF Puma HC2 will now be arriving and departing during the flying display, parking on the grass flightline. :up:

Ah brilliant, looking forward to seeing it in the air as well as on the ground !

EAP looks spectacular!

Hoping for a couple more sneak preview photos ! :ninja: :biggrin:

Cole

Post by Cole »

Anyone excited yet.. :tongue: :yahoo:
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

banksy

Post by banksy »

Not been to Cosford on air show day before, and very tempted now after the B1 was included in the flying.

Does anyone know roughly, what time that is likely to happen? Earlier or later?

Thanks
Chester FC Fan Engagement Director
Twitter: @banks247

Lucasjmet15

Post by Lucasjmet15 »

ColeTheDemolisher wrote:Anyone excited yet.. :tongue: :yahoo:

Meeeeeee !!! :rock: :drool: :rock: :cool:

nickosbad

Post by nickosbad »

Do cosford publish the display times before the date?

Also....what's the likliehoid of it "selling out" tomorrow?

Tempted to go but concerned about potential nightmare getting out so thinking we may be able to get out before the last display but that all depends on what it is!!

Lucasjmet15

Post by Lucasjmet15 »

nickosbad wrote:Do cosford publish the display times before the date?

Tempted to go but concerned about potential nightmare getting out so thinking we may be able to get out before the last display but that all depends on what it is!!

The only publishment of the display times will be in the programme on the day.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

nickosbad wrote:Do cosford publish the display times before the date?

Times won't be known until the programme is in hand and someone posts on here or social media and tickets could sell out or they could be available right up till the event its a hard one to judge as the events of last year might have sworn some off but the last minute confirmations of the bombers may cause a surge in sales.

As for getting out you will be queuing whether you leave before the end of the show or if you hang about for several hours after its finished, you can't clear tens of thousands through two exits very quickly which is why I normally after the show go looking round the static then the museum.

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

Only just logged in so had to scroll through a couple of pages to see what I'd missed. Can we please drop the name calling and threats, they won't be tolerated on the forum and personal issues should be dealt with via PM usage.

Anyway, back to the aircraft. The Spartan and Tornado are due to arrive at BZN today before heading off to Cosford and Shawbury.
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

concerned about potential nightmare getting out

Leaving before the last act won't help you - Mr & Mrs Chav will start clambering into their 2001 Vauxhall Astra as soon as the RAFAT have finished so the exits will be jammed from mid afternoon. The main exit is a 2 lane single track road under a railway bridge so congestion is a certainty.

If you want to miss the jams getting out the correct policy is as follows: Leave the M54 at junction 3 and on the A41 Newport Road stay in the outside lane of traffic. This will give you the option to turn right down Long Lane and be directed into the off base parking. The off base parking is in a field just North of the railway and is in fact closer to the flight line than some of the on base parking especially that at the Western end. From here you will be able to be able to drive out of the car park with no hold up after the show finishes. If you go for the on base parking option a two hour wait after the show finishes and a stressful experience is pretty much guaranteed.

B_Tank88

Post by B_Tank88 »

As soon as the displays finished last year, we did a tour of the museum which was fully open and spent ~2hours there. By the time we came out, no traffic jams, got out very quickly. Tired feet but the museum is very good.

banksy

Post by banksy »

speedbird2639 wrote:
concerned about potential nightmare getting out

Leaving before the last act won't help you - Mr & Mrs Chav will start clambering into their 2001 Vauxhall Astra as soon as the RAFAT have finished so the exits will be jammed from mid afternoon. The main exit is a 2 lane single track road under a railway bridge so congestion is a certainty.

If you want to miss the jams getting out the correct policy is as follows: Leave the M54 at junction 3 and on the A41 Newport Road stay in the outside lane of traffic. This will give you the option to turn right down Long Lane and be directed into the off base parking. The off base parking is in a field just North of the railway and is in fact closer to the flight line than some of the on base parking especially that at the Western end. From here you will be able to be able to drive out of the car park with no hold up after the show finishes. If you go for the on base parking option a two hour wait after the show finishes and a stressful experience is pretty much guaranteed.

Do you need to have a ticket for the show to park in the off base parking?
Chester FC Fan Engagement Director
Twitter: @banks247

Threshold.aero

Post by Threshold.aero »

Live arrivals on Twitter :)
[tweet]https://twitter.com/thresholdaero/status/873118861901430785[/tweet]

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

UKAR are also there doing live arrivals :-)

[tweet]https://twitter.com/UKAirshowReview/status/873080794339659776[/tweet]

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Do you need to have a ticket for the show to park in the off base parking?

Well the ticket checking point last time I went was as you went into the base. Whether they have people 'patrolling' the off base car parks like they used to at RIAT I don't know. For the sake of £25 I would pay and go in as in the car park you are going to be something like a minimum of 800m from the display line and behind a belt of mature trees either side of the railway so I think the viewing experience from that position could be described as 'compromised' at best.

I can't see any mention of it in the FAQ only that parking is included in the admission price so I presuming they could argue to benefit from the free parking you have to buy a ticket.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

According to Flightline and the AeroSparx Facebook page, the team are sending a solo aircraft for the flying display?
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

RobN

Post by RobN »

Is there a published timetable or is it still up in the air? ( :wink: ) I remember seeing one several years ago.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

RobN wrote:Is there a published timetable or is it still up in the air? ( :wink: ) I remember seeing one several years ago.

Like all previous years we won't see a timetable until the day of the show and someone gets a programme.

Threshold.aero

Post by Threshold.aero »

[tweet]https://twitter.com/thresholdaero/status/873231809148063746[/tweet]

RinkyDinky

Post by RinkyDinky »

Spent a very lovely afternoon today at RAF Cosford, warm and sunny. Main reason for going was to catch any some arrivals for the airshow as well as validations. TORNADO ids (Italian) did a rather for very laid back routine ALL slow passes well space apart No high energy passes or turns; it only used its speed & afterburners when it was far out (and i really do mean far away in the distance well away from the airfield ) i hope this isn't the affect of the new safety regulations and if it is, then it doesn't bear well for an exciting & dynamic displays in the future at UK airshows :sad: Even so, Nice to see a foreign Tornado and it did do a low slow pass over the museum car park at the end which i got a good close view of it before it gave full welly back to RAF Shawbury

2 Gunships (Apache) turned up about 16.40. Listening to the communications between the pilot and the tower, revealed that the gunships are scheduled to validate TOMORROW (Saturday 10th June) with the airspace restrictions in place between 2pm and 6pm so i guess if goes head it'll be between those times like it was today. The forecast is for dry weather between 1pm and 4mp but heavy showers either side of this.

Other arrivals today I saw were Swiss PC7 team, OV10 Bronco, a few helicopters, etc. Just lovely day to be at Cosford. Most items due in after museum closed at 5pm so i guess that's understandable but there were lots of people and cars parked off the road around the perimeter of the airbase waiting for the 'heavy' items to arrive.

The AN-2 was due in at 6PM I didn't stay to see this arrive. Also NATS website states restricted airspace due to A MILITARY FLYPAST at RAF Shawbury which is just up the road from Cosford between 20.45 and 21.15 THIS EVENING 9 June. May be worth a look??? Also, red arrows leave RAF Shawbury on the airshow day 11 June at 13.40 for display at Welshpool then Cosford at about 2pm before returning to RAF Shawbury at 14.23 :smile:

Paul :cool:

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

When the Rafale's arrived at Duxford early Friday morning, they did several slow passes and turns over the airfield as the pilot's were getting the lay of the land and noting reference points for their proper display and only made a bit of noise departing for Cambridge.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

seacat192

Post by seacat192 »

Hope the Show goes well and everyone has a great time.

I was due to be there, but the coach trip I was using has been cancelled due to insufficient bookings

RinkyDinky

Post by RinkyDinky »

DaveJones533 Thanks for that bit of info.!! Good to hear that the Tornado IDS routine probably is airfield specific (RAF Cosford). I shall now look forward to the Summer UK airshow season with glee. Cheers :biggrin: