RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Cole

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Post by Cole »

So no one can now get good photos of the reds then.... Way to ruin the champagne spit, Detonator, infinity break and gypo break..... :mad: :mad: :mad:
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Timc

Post by Timc »

From what I can work out the new display line will intersect the A464 either just before or after Whiston Cross thus avoiding over flying Albrighton. Can't see any other alternative at the moment. Grandstand view, if in the vicinity of the Cricket Club! :ninja:

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

J.C Photography wrote:
JonG96 wrote:
Adamwilliams132 wrote:Statement from the RAF Cosford Air Show:

Due to recent changes in display flying regulations, the Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team, the Red Arrows, and the Royal Air Force Typhoon Display will both be performing their flying displays on an alternative display axis at the RAF Cosford Air Show on Sunday 11th June.

The Royal Air Force has concluded that the nature of the display sequences of both assets combined with restrictions on their Public Display Authorisations, requires their respective displays to be shifted to a new axis. The change in display axis for these two display items will enable them to both perform their full displays to the west of the airfield.

This alternative display axis requires a small section of the A464 to be closed to traffic between the hours of 1.45-2.45pm on Sunday 11th June. A diversion will be signposted.

The RAF Cosford Air Show is an exciting and educational family day out, with a vast assortment of world-class flying displays combined with award winning ground attractions.

The Typhoon will probably look like an Ant in the sky on my mobile phone, I'd like to know the exact area they will be displaying now and how far the displays will be?

This will probably be the same with a 600mm lens!

You'll need something bigger, if Duxford last weekend is anything to go on! :grin:

speedshrew

Post by speedshrew »

Photo ops down the shoot then?

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

The RAF's attitude to airshows and display flying stinks. What they're saying here, effectively, is that they don't believe their two remaining jet displays are as safe as the civilian acts the show has booked. What a sorry state of affairs when our national display team suddenly decide they're not safe enough to display properly at a venue they've appeared at without incident for, what, 40 years?

Add to this the ludicrous conditions (at one point it was mentioned to me they wanted homes under the display evacuating!) the Red Arrows laid out to Shuttleworth before appearing somewhere roughly near that venue last year (where they predictably found an excuse not to finish the display), and their refusal to appear at Farnborough, and wasn't there a show in Devon or Cornwall they decided wasn't safe enough for them?

They might as well disband the Reds, as clearly they're now so dangerous and don't have the necessary confidence in their own ability not to wipe out half of the country.

The French Rafale has shown the Typhoon display up for what it is already this season, so perhaps the RAF just need to stick to the BBMF trundling over straight and level at 2000 feet and be done with it?

What a great way this is to discourage people watching these displays outside the venue, eh?
Last edited by Dan O'Hagan on Fri 02 Jun 2017, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

zigzag wrote:Bugger, I'm going to have to find a new naughty field a bit further away from Albrighton :biggrin:

Mid-Wales, perhaps?
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

JonG96

Post by JonG96 »

Well my excitement for the Typhoon display this year has now quickly diminished. The critique it got by members that went to Duxford last weekend and now this, is there any point in it even turning up???!!!

Lucasjmet15

Post by Lucasjmet15 »

:tumbleweed: :tumbleweed:

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

I fear a Social Media backlash now,announcing this once people have already purchased their tickets.If the weather turns out nasty and two of the more exciting displays are distant,then J public won't be so quick purchasing their tickets for the 2018 show if there is one.

JonG96

Post by JonG96 »

TYPHOON3 wrote:I fear a Social Media backlash now,announcing this once people have already purchased their tickets.If the weather turns out nasty and two of the more exciting displays are distant,then J public won't be so quick purchasing their tickets for the 2018 show if there is one.

They'll have a point if Cosford knew about this before now and only chose to announce it so soon to the show because tickets might take a hit.

Timc

Post by Timc »

TYPHOON3 wrote:I fear a Social Media backlash now,announcing this once people have already purchased their tickets.If the weather turns out nasty and two of the more exciting displays are distant,then J public won't be so quick purchasing their tickets for the 2018 show if there is one.

Thinking along the same lines, this decision was possibly taken months ago, if not longer? If so, it does leave a somewhat bitter taste in the mouth. Impeccable timing with just over a week to go and with the vast bulk of tickets probably sold?

Moving forward, feel a bit sorry for the organisers of "The ONLY RAF Show" they do have their hands tied but at least other shows can quite rightly say, thanks, but no thanks if this new display line is judged to be unpopular amongst the general public.

Let's wait and see?

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

What a complete and utter cluster***k, Cosfords team should be completely and utterly ashamed of themselves. As for the RAF well it shows how pathetic they have become and appear not to have any faith at all in most probably the safest acts on the circuit. Sorry guys but you deserve every ounce of criticism you are going to get!

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

JonG96 wrote:

They'll have a point if Cosford knew about this before now and only chose to announce it so soon to the show because tickets might take a hit.

In fairness, Europe's third-best national team only got their PDA a day or so ago. Presumably the Typhoon's was granted at Coningsby last month.

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:In fairness, Europe's third-best national team only got their PDA a day or so ago. Presumably the Typhoon's was granted at Coningsby last month.

A sensible response, and highly likely too.
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Chris G wrote:Cosfords team should be completely and utterly ashamed of themselves.

Why should they, its not like they've made this decision, its been made for them.

What a stupid comment to make.
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

RA2335 was only re-published a couple of weeks ago and CAP403 yesterday.

Now the other big question.... what will be the Totterdown effect at a certain other airshow....

Chris G wrote:Cosfords team should be completely and utterly ashamed of themselves.

The team at Cosford have nothing to do with this.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Domvickery wrote:

Why should they, its not like they've made this decision, its been made for them.

If they knew in advance of the change then it's fair comment, if not then yes I agree not their fault.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

JonG96

Post by JonG96 »

Maybe with France still being in discussion we can get the Patrouille de France and Rafale to swap with The Reds and Typhoon?? :grin: :grin: :lol:

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

So one would assume the red arrows display at shuttleworth will more than likely not happen considering all the roads and estates nearby. Pathetic, why are the raf now suddenly so scared of doing something that's been done safely for years!
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

rdchawk wrote:
Domvickery wrote:

If they knew in advance of the change then it's fair comment, if not then yes I agree not their fault.

These regulations weren't decided overnight I'd say they've know for a while. Road closures etc take time to enforce and prepare. Isn't the road in question the main road above the lane with cricket club on it ? If so even last year there was thousands of people in those fields watching displays will all those be moved beforehand by police ? If the area isn't clear will the display not go ahead ?

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

rdchawk wrote:So one would assume the red arrows display at shuttleworth will more than likely not happen considering all the roads and estates nearby. Pathetic, why are the RAF now suddenly so scared of doing something that's been done safely for years!

It's embarrassing. Supposedly the cream of our military aviation, yet the top brass clearly don't trust them not to crash.

But if it keeps them, and their "fans" away from Shuttleworth, every cloud...

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Adamwilliams132 wrote:
These regulations weren't decided overnight I'd say they've know for a while.

And you're on the organising team to have inside knowledge of this right?

Why not just wait for an official response rather than making things up to make the organising team look bad.
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Domvickery wrote:Why not just wait for an official response rather than making things up to make the organising team look bad.

You've got a fellow staffer a few posts previous saying the same thing, and they're not alone.
Timc wrote:Thinking along the same lines, this decision was possibly taken months ago, if not longer? If so, it does leave a somewhat bitter taste in the mouth. Impeccable timing with just over a week to go and with the vast bulk of tickets probably sold?

The organisers need to come clean about how much they knew and for how long, and release a diagram of the new proposed display area - I know of at least one person waiting until this is announced before deciding on whether to spend over £100 on train fares and accommodation. So far it seems the organising team have dropped that bombshell with very little detail and run, there's been absolutely no dialogue answering any of the questions from the quite-rightly upset people that are attending the show in 8 days - poor form from a usually very open and communicative team :down:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

rdchawk wrote:
Domvickery wrote:

So you're telling me that the health and safety aspect for a major international airshow, with all the stuff that goes with it post Shoreham would pick up on something like this just a week or so before the event. Sorry but i don't think so. If this is the case then there is something seriously wrong in the RAF and how they view their displays. Also why just those two acts, it's total nonsense of the highest order.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

What an absolutely ridiculous state of affairs. :down:

I think it's unfair to blame the organisers. We have no idea if this was sprung on them last minute or not. Their track record is one of the most open of any airshows in recent years - this would lead to the benefit of the doubt.

I get that people are frustrated, but let's not shoot the messenger.

Maybe they do need to "come clean" but I suspect they have their hands full with the Airshow next weekend. PeterR hasn't been in here recently, presumably because of how busy he is... can't fault the small team for that.

They do read this thread, though, so maybe one or two of posters here should bear that in mind before taking out their frustrations unfairly.