RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Lucasjmet15

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Post by Lucasjmet15 »

What an amazing show it was on Sunday. Loved every single minute of it, the flying display was superb and the static displays were brilliant. Cannot wait for next year already. My only criticism would be the commentary team and its been covered a lot already on this forum so I'm not going to go over it again.

Hoping for a 2 days show next year ??

Roll on Cosford 2018 !

:smile: :up: :win:

Jonnym

Post by Jonnym »

lappup wrote:I'll start by saying I enjoyed the show this year, well done to the team. I was lucky enough to be in the Cosford Club enclosure this year which is a great uncrowded experience. Only problem was that someone decided to park a Puma right in front of us which meant that we couldn't see the majority of the pyros to the full effect and blocked the view of the runway. There was a huge 'press area' inside the enclosure to which a mass contingent of 10 photographers sat - was that size an area really necessary??

Yes, the crowdline parking was frustrating... i missed pretty much all the apache ground pyros because the wingwalkers rocked up and slat their planes in my face. :dizzy:

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

Really enjoyed the day and this was my 25th Cosford Air Show, Was there any explanation for the no shows such as the 32 Squadron Royal flight 146 in static and the Westland Search and Rescue Helicopter in the flying display ?

Cheers :roll:

CJS

Post by CJS »

What, you mean the big yellow thing that everyone has taken photos of - the one that was in the flying display? :-P
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

scottspencer

Post by scottspencer »

Hes on about the AW189 that was announced and in the flying timetable. New HM Coastguard Helicopter

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

scottspencer wrote:Hes on about the AW189 that was announced and in the flying timetable. New HM Coastguard Helicopter
Thats the one lol

scottspencer

Post by scottspencer »

Not the one that was in the flying display Lol

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

CJS wrote:What, you mean the big yellow thing that everyone has taken photos of - the one that was in the flying display? :-P

Own goal!
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

PirateTrickster

Post by PirateTrickster »

Red Tail Mustang (off to North Weald on Thursday to shoot that again) too.

==> North Weald is fairly local to me, is there an event happening today? I do keep meaning to pop over and take some photos - would love some of the Gnats.

I love the crowd rear approach, but I cannot stand this 'one thousand feet wide formation.' I think (and it's only my view) that the opening formation should be nice and tight, arrow shaped and with all the air brakes and smoke hanging out.

Is anyone actually able to get all of that opening formation into the lens of their camera to make a usable picture.

==> as has already been mentioned, they probably can't fly that closely together over a crowd. As to whether you can fit them into a picture - at Shuttleworth last year I just managed it, at Cosford this year I lost one off the side.

I nearly missed the camo Tornado

==> Clearly I did miss it :facepalm:

Is the market for diecast and model kits dead

==> I got a bargain towards the end of the day - 2 Airfix kits (1:72 and 1:48 of a Lightning and Mustang) for £10 :smile:

Cosford 2018? Depends on the line-up

It's the RAF's 100th birthday, I'm quite optimistic about next years line-up.

austinp

Post by austinp »

speedbird2639 wrote:
When I came onto the base just after 8.30 there was already a row of chairs reserving places for the majority of the crowdline either side of the Cosford Club; to arrive at 10.30am expecting a place at the front is naive at best. When I was last at Cosford 2 years ago you could barely see a blade of grass in the 'lawn' areas of the crowd as it was so packed - thankfully they have moved the car park away from the crowdline and so it was much more comfortable.

Regarding the perennial tents/ windbreaks argument I think the best solution would be to do what RIAT does and have a 10m line which anyone wishing to make use of a tent or windbreak has to remain behind, leaving the crowdline unobstructed...

Hi :-)

I wasn't expecting a front row seat, in fact I was pretty surprised to find one at all. Yup, I was there two years ago, and the crowdline was packed; so pleased they moved the cars back.

I wholeheartedly agree on copying RIAT regarding the tent/windbreak line, obviously RIAT have more space to play with, but it could work.

Cheers.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

PirateTrickster wrote:
I nearly missed the camo Tornado

==> Clearly I did miss it :facepalm:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, you didn't miss that much. It was parked at an edge with a background of a skip and a motor-home of some sort, and the aircraft itself had bits of tape etc on various panels.

patrouille2001 wrote:Really enjoyed the day and this was my 25th Cosford Air Show, Was there any explanation for the no shows such as the 32 Squadron Royal flight 146 in static and the Westland Search and Rescue Helicopter in the flying display ?

Believe I saw on Twitter on the Saturday that the '146 had been removed from the lineup due to operational commitments. Nothing has been said of the AW189, which vanished without a trace from the flying display - it had been penciled in to display and also fly a "then-and-now" formation with the Whirlwind, which was if I recall branded as one of the highlights in the pre-show build-up. If the aircraft was retasked due to operational requirements then fair enough, however that absolutely no mention was made over the commentary to announce this is poor form - particularly when other cancellations such as the Hurricane were mentioned.
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

The Puma in front of Cosford Club has me in two minds... I don't know whether to moan or not! Aircraft operating in front of the audience has long been part of the Cosford show, and the opportunity to see and photograph things up close is very welcome. It barely happened last year - for one reason or another there was very little operating along the crowdline - and it was to the detriment of the show which didn't feel like Cosford. I am grateful to have seen the Puma in particular up close, and get some ace shots. And I could forgive just about anything but blocking out the Apache 'fire' photo, which still evades me! maybe parking it head on rather than broadside would have helped.

Cosford Club is great, for a little bit more you get far superior facilities and plenty of space, although it isn't immune from that old airshow staple of getting there crack of sparrows to get a good spec on the crowdline and somebody with a great sense of self-entitlement has a lie in and rocks up in the middle of the day to stroll right up to the rope and plonk themselves in front of you. Its just human nature I spose.

The commentary: well, I don't get why so many of you object in such affronted tone. It was laid back, relaxed and light hearted, in fitting with the family day out Cosford is. It wasn't factually inaccurate at all and I quite enjoyed it. Jonathon Ruffle made me smile. I clearly don't take commentary to heart as some of you do. The only issue is the one as old as Cosford itself. No matter how many times the commentator is changed they will complain that they can't see what's going on. Surely its easy to run comms from the tower to a commentary point on the crowd line? anyway, its not a big deal.

The show itself was very good. Unfortunate Reds situation aside it was a very good airshow, with the B-52 pulling onto the display axis as the B-17 moved to one side to become, I expect, one of the season's moments come the end of the year. It had something for everyone, a bit of everything. I did sense a few modified lines out there, without pointing to anything in particular, but it has to be said the silliness around the reds display weakened the show, it would be daft to claim otherwise. My family discussed it much of the way home. I hope that the rule makers and display teams can find a common sense compromise between risk and spectacle. Otherwise, its all a waste of time and money, because the reds display on Sunday was too distant to have any impact on the audience at all. Which as an airshow fan, and an aerobatic team fan, is heartbreaking.

All in all, well done Peter and the team :clap:

See you next year.
Last edited by Wrexham Mackem on Thu 15 Jun 2017, 1:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Pringles wrote:Nothing has been said of the AW189, which vanished without a trace from the flying display - it had been penciled in to display and also fly a "then-and-now" formation with the Whirlwind, which was if I recall branded as one of the highlights in the pre-show build-up. If the aircraft was retasked due to operational requirements then fair enough, however that absolutely no mention was made over the commentary to announce this is poor form - particularly when other cancellations such as the Hurricane were mentioned.

I agree. Although I don't think its listed in the printed programme which would be why it wasn't mentioned by commentary. It must've pulled out some time before. I was looking forward to seeing it, although it was Monday before I realised it was missing! :grin:

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Pringles wrote:Nothing has been said of the AW189, which vanished without a trace from the flying display - it had been penciled in to display and also fly a "then-and-now" formation with the Whirlwind, which was if I recall branded as one of the highlights in the pre-show build-up. If the aircraft was retasked due to operational requirements then fair enough, however that absolutely no mention was made over the commentary to announce this is poor form - particularly when other cancellations such as the Hurricane were mentioned.

I agree. Although I don't think its listed in the printed programme which would be why it wasn't mentioned by commentary. It must've pulled out some time before. I was looking forward to seeing it, although it was Monday before I realised it was missing! :grin:

I don't have the programme to hand, but it is definitely featured in the flying schedule, towards the latter half of the flying display? 4 o'clock-ish?

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

The AW189 is in the programme at 1640. I have to say that I paid little attention to the printed list as it was clear from the beginning it wasn't accurate.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Ah righto. Sorry, I got that wrong. Well, in that case, it should have been mentioned on the PA then.

Presume it got a shout, so the Coast Guard deserve some credit over the PA, for the intention to bring it along even if they couldn't for that most obvious of reasons.

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

capercaillie wrote:Not sure how much people look around and keep their eyes peeled at airshows? I can appreciate a small area close to where the Cosford Club tent is positioned would have their view obscured, but the B-52 was circling for a few minutes to the northwest of the airfield before it commenced its long curving smoky run in during Sally B's display. They're not the most unsubtle of things in the sky when approaching! :dunno:

It's a good shout that one and if I were on my own, I would probably have spotted it. But I was with my daughter back at the car (after the B-1, we retreated from the rain and the crowd line for a short while) and enjoying the B-17 whilst explaining to her how important that aeroplane was... You know, the 'daddy knows all about aircraft' routine!! :joystick:

I couldn't really see the hold and with attention on the B-17 being so focussed, all of a sudden, this great big mass of heavy metal lummoxed in from the right... An epic surprise, even though we knew the B-52 would be around. When it arrived, it was a gasp making entrance. For me, the airshow moment of the year so far... :up:
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

Lucasjmet15

Post by Lucasjmet15 »

Maybe reading into it too much but just looked through the programme again and seen the F35 on the poster for next years show !

Fingers crossed ! :drool:

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Lucasjmet15 wrote:Maybe reading into it too much but just looked through the programme again and seen the F35 on the poster for next years show !

The commentator fellow was really hammering home the RAF anniversary too, which I took as being a hint that the RAF would be supporting their own show next year... (ok-supporting it more).

I still think theres Harriers and Jaguars on that base which could be serviced and permitted to fly again - even if for just one summer. :s

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

I still think theres Harriers and Jaguars on that base which could be serviced and permitted to fly again - even if for just one summer. :s[/quote]

Presumably you have several million pounds, a dedicated group of engineers, qualified display pilots and the support of the CAA and MAA for just the one summer ?

Sorry, as much as we would all like, it just isn`t going to happen.

Lucasjmet15

Post by Lucasjmet15 »

borismorris wrote:
Lucasjmet15 wrote:Maybe reading into it too much but just looked through the programme again and seen the F35 on the poster for next years show !

The commentator fellow was really hammering home the RAF anniversary too, which I took as being a hint that the RAF would be supporting their own show next year... (ok-supporting it more).

I still think theres Harriers and Jaguars on that base which could be serviced and permitted to fly again - even if for just one summer. :s

Not a chance but maybe an Indian airforce jaguar ?! (*hint hint*) :lol:

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

borismorris wrote:I took as being a hint that the RAF would be supporting their own show next year... (ok-supporting it more).

Would a pleasant change :whistle:

Lucasjmet15

Post by Lucasjmet15 »

Pringles wrote:
borismorris wrote:I took as being a hint that the RAF would be supporting their own show next year... (ok-supporting it more).

Would a pleasant change :whistle:

Not this again... :grin: :grin: :-X :-X

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Xray833 wrote:I still think theres Harriers and Jaguars on that base which could be serviced and permitted to fly again - even if for just one summer. :s

Presumably you have several million pounds, a dedicated group of engineers, qualified display pilots and the support of the CAA and MAA for just the one summer ?

Sorry, as much as we would all like, it just isn`t going to happen.[/quote]

Do you not think that the RAF has such expertise to pull it off? I get that it is highly unlikely the point I was making was that there will never be a better time or place.

Saying "sorry it just isn't going to happen" is what we all think but if ideas are never floated then nothing would ever get done. I also see no reason why a well supported properly managed project wouldn't get past the CAA/MAA..

As for "millions",How far off flight ready do you really think the Cosford Jags are?

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Not this again... :grin: :grin: :-X :-X[/quote]

I know, sorry for dragging it up.. :whistle: :grin: :facepalm: