RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
PeterR

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Post by PeterR »

Lucasjmet15 wrote:What happened with the bird-dog as it was parked on the flightline but it didn't fly in the set-piece like it was supposed to do... :dunno:

Different machine! The O-1 which was due for the flying display never made it due to weather, the example on the flightline was due for static display only but couldn't make it in on the Saturday sadly.

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

• "Away Win" - Dan Ledwood attended a distinctly blustery RAF Cosford.

Image Image Image Image Image

n0143773

Post by n0143773 »

UK Airshow Review wrote:'Whilst the RAF/MOD and the Red Arrows sought to embarrass themselves'

Bit harsh considering this is supposed to be a somewhat 'professional' review.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

There is a genuine news story contained within that review, chaps:

It has transpired that the new display line was proposed by the Red Arrows themselves, due to their inability to alter their display to avoid aerobatic over flight of Albrighton, with Royal Air Force duty-holder chain insistent that the Air Show allowed their change of display axis.

This runs contrary to what was said by the organisers pre-show where they insisted the airshow's Flying Control Committee had made the changes:

"For this year the FDD has had to formally defined the display area and propagate that to all of the participants at this year's show... The regulations absolutely preclude aerobatic flying over congested areas, so there's no getting away from the fact that Albrighton is a congested area and therefore aerobatic flying over that area is forbidden... The MAA regulation that applies to this: "All flying displays shall be managed, organised and delivered in order to reduce the risk of life to at least tolerable and as low as reasonably practical"... So it was my decision, we engaged with the Red Arrows and the Typhoon, we couldn't fit them into our display area and we couldn't allow them to fly over Albrighton, and therefore we have shifted the display axis to protect that we can have full displays from those acts."

Smells to me like Cosford were told to carry the can for the reason behind the changes from someone way up the RAF food chain, to spare the embarrassment of RAFAT...

Well done to UKAR for digging this out. And bold of the source for coming forward to reveal it. :clap:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Don't think it's that clear cut Dan.

"So it was my decision, we engaged with the Red Arrows and the Typhoon"

That can be quite easily interpreted as the: Red Arrows/Typhoon were shown the display area, they made a counter proposal which was then agreed by the duty holder.

Regardless it was a stupid and daft decision no matter the source.

exocet_uk

Post by exocet_uk »

Pringles wrote:
exocet_uk wrote:I'm lead to believe that the Reds issue has a good chance of manifesting itself at other locations to come this season. It is absolutely not the Cosford team that have decreed it.

Seems that yes, it was the Cosford team that decreed it

:cuppa: :cuppa: :cuppa:

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

exocet_uk wrote:
Pringles wrote:
exocet_uk wrote:I'm lead to believe that the Reds issue has a good chance of manifesting itself at other locations to come this season. It is absolutely not the Cosford team that have decreed it.

Seems that yes, it was the Cosford team that decreed it

:cuppa: :cuppa: :cuppa:

Very interested to see if they chicken out of using the regular RIAT line, as presumably some elements will take them over Fairford village.

And Biggin Hill is surely a non-starter.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

For sure we got a Reds display at Royston last weekend, not DX

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Pembroke confirmed as flying
Thomas

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

Tom105 wrote:Pembroke confirmed as flying

Hope there's a Tardis at this year's show then, so we can go back to Cosford 2017 to see the Pembroke.... :biggrin:

(Handy tip: Check which thread you're in before posting!)
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

I don't how i managed to do that, sorry!! :facepalm: :facepalm:
Thomas