RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Luke28

RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Post by Luke28 »

Two BAE Strikemasters to perform a role demo and attack of the base with pyrotechnics, A good start to the participants. :up: :up:
Last edited by Luke28 on Tue 15 Nov 2016, 1:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

st24

Re: RAF Cosford Airshow 2017

Post by st24 »

Luke28 wrote:Two BAE Strikemasters to perform a role demo and attack of the base with pyrotechnics, A good start to the participants. :up: :up:

Nice, hope that sexy camo Omani one gets it's full markings! :cool:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

[center]Royal Air Force Cosford Air Show 2016
Sunday 11th June 2017
http://www.cosfordairshow.co.uk

Image[/center]

Tickets for the RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 are now on sale! The award-winning Air Show, which will be held on Sunday 11th June 2017, is expected to attract a crowd of 60,000 visitors to the Home of Royal Air Force Engineering. Make sure you keep track of the latest RAF Cosford Air Show news via Our Facebook Page and/or Our Twitter Account!

Each year the Royal Air Force Cosford Air Show promotes a number of themes which we use to help focus the displays on offer each year, showcasing a wide spectrum of military aviation. Ours themes will be represented across the show, with spectacular set-piece flying displays, interactive static displays and exciting articles in our souvenir programme. For 2017 our themes have been chosen as;

– BATTLEFIELD SUPPORT
– INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION
– SPACE

And to read about each theme in detail please do check out the Themes Page on the website!

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/rafcosfordairshowofficial/photos/a.403200306359458.103082.403139459698876/1353415284671284/?type=3&theater[/fb-post]

st24 wrote:Nice, hope that sexy camo Omani one gets it's full markings! :cool:

Geoff, I visited Mark last week to photograph the two jets together for the first time. He confirmed that full that the new Strikemaster will receive full Sultan of Oman's Air Force colours, as the jet would have worn during it's use in the Battle of Mirbat of which it is a genuine combat veteran.

st24

Post by st24 »

PeterR wrote:
st24 wrote:Nice, hope that sexy camo Omani one gets it's full markings! :cool:

Geoff, I visited Mark last week to photograph the two jets together for the first time. He confirmed that full that the new Strikemaster will receive full Sultan of Oman's Air Force colours, as the jet would have worn during it's use in the Battle of Mirbat of which it is a genuine combat veteran.

:up: Great stuff!!

Pringles

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Post by Pringles »

:grin: :grin:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Doodler_Bug/status/747093532465311744[/tweet]
PeterR wrote:For 2017 our themes have been chosen as;
– INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION
And to read about each theme in detail please do check out the Themes Page on the website!
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

PeterR wrote:For 2017 our themes have been chosen as;

– SPACE

Hopefully that theme will be conveyed a little bit more generously in the static park. :whistle: :wave:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Just thought I'd take the time to give you guys a few heads-up on various things. Firstly, we got a lot of feedback last year which asked for a proper aircraft participation list on the website, I'm pleased to report on the new website this is the case! Check Out; http://www.cosfordairshow.co.uk/intheair.php If you scroll down that page it also has the list of countries we've invited to the Air Show and current state of negotiations. You'll notice we're already in discussion with the Polish Air Force who had provided an initial confirmation that they intend to support us but we must wait until the spring to see what form that may take.

You will have all hopefully seen the first flying display update today. NWMAS will be bringing two Strikemasters (in differing Omani colours) for a formation display and pairs airfield attack. There will be lots of ground based pyrotechnics so hopefully this will be a really cool, and unique, display for us!

Tuesday will now be our chosen day to release the majority of aircraft participation updates. This will be done simultaneously on Facebook, Twitter and also here on UKAR. All of the team in the Air Show Office very much value the input given on this forum and we're all working hard to rectify complaints from the 2016 show and make 2017 even bigger and better. So do keep your (sensible) suggestions coming!

Finally, for those of you who might have missed it. Today as we launched tickets we hosted a Facebook Live video broadcast from the Air Show Office which took an 'informal interview' style to give lots of exciting information about all our areas of responsibility. It seems to have been very well received on Social Media so if you're bored it's still available to view on our Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/rafcosfordairs ... 287903017/

That's all for now. Thanks for your support, there should all being well be another participation update next Tuesday!

Cheers,
Peter :wave:
Operations Manager
RAF Cosford Air Show

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

I attended in '15 and am looking to attend again next year, due to the pure quality of the show both on the ground and air. I see on the cover image there is a Chinook or two with USL's which would be absolutely fantastic to see at the show. Hopefully the fact there is one on the cover image means it is in discussions :whistle:
My biggest wish is that an RAF Tornado does some sort of flying even if it's just a flypast, that's something; Hopefully it could fit in with the 'Battlefield' Theme

Thanks for all your work Peter and Team!
Nikon D500

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

Harvo266 wrote:My biggest wish is that an RAF Tornado does some sort of flying even if it's just a flypast, that's something; Hopefully it could fit in with the 'Battlefield' Theme

Who knows, perhaps there might be a Role Demo anyway? :cuppa: :ninja:

st24

Post by st24 »

Slappywag wrote:
Harvo266 wrote:My biggest wish is that an RAF Tornado does some sort of flying even if it's just a flypast, that's something; Hopefully it could fit in with the 'Battlefield' Theme

Well given your (wrong) statements on the Scampton thread I think that we'll have to wait and see on that... :cuppa:

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

st24 wrote:
Slappywag wrote:

Well given your (wrong) statements on the Scampton thread I think that we'll have to wait and see on that... :cuppa:

They'll only be grey anyway, so despite the ongoing positive discussions, it wouldn't interest you anyway. :cuppa:

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

[center]Participation Update 22/11/16[/center]
- The world's only airworthy Westland Whirlwind HAR10 helicopter will be performing a flying display on Sunday 11th June 2017.

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/rafcosfordairshowofficial/photos/a.403200306359458.103082.403139459698876/1360993480580131/?type=3&theater[/fb-post]

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Thats another nice addition!

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

-
Last edited by Spotty_Jag on Sat 21 Dec 2019, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Great start to proceedings Peter. You caught me napping over the last week, I wasn't expecting any flyers to be listed yet, much less the first two items being two new acts to the airshow scene. Great stuff.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

A fine addition, indeed. Credit to the team.

Has the Whirlwind performed a flying display anywhere else since it appeared a couple of years ago?

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

It was at Welshpool last year wasn't it?
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

In before the remoaners start. Wot no fast jets !!!!!!. :heyhey:

Excellent start to the line up, hope it continues to be another good year for Cosford.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Pringles wrote:It was at Welshpool last year wasn't it?

Not sure it was able to display - I could be wrong - because it rained. Speaking of which, I do hope Cosford get some sunshine next year - last few years have been a bit dull.

Whirlwind and Strikemaster are decent updates. :up:
Last edited by Flare Path on Wed 23 Nov 2016, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Glad to see the Whirlwind has been well received. The helicopter has displayed in public at only a handful of small public events, I believe it didn't make it to Welshpool this year due to the weather so we are it's first big public display which should be an exciting prospect. From the ribbon diagram it looks like a well designed display sequence with lots of interesting photo opportunities.

As commented, we've made a big effort to get our first few aircraft additions out nice and early this year. We know a lot of our loyal customers were disappointed by the flying display line-up in 2016 and this is a major objective for me (and of course the rest of the Air Show team) this year, improving the choice of civilian participants and working to secure the maximum number of military displays to compose a six-hour flying display with no 'filler' items! We'll try to keep weekly updates rolling every Tuesday from this point onwards, with a brief break over the festive period of course. It's now a waiting game for the 'big ticket' items with Royal Air Force allocations expected in mid-February, with the Royal Navy & Joint Helicopter Command following soon after hopefully. Likewise international items will be confirmed as soon as we get written confirmation; usually in April/May time with the exception of the ultra-efficient Swiss Air Force who usually publish their plans in January. Fingers Crossed!

Onwards and Upwards, but make sure you get Sunday 11th June 2017 put in your diaries! :up:

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

Have you ever thought of installing a grandstand ?. Dunsfold Charge £15, I would Pay £20 no problem for a seat in Granstand :smile: Paul

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

I would imagine a grandstand would be hugely unpopular (at least with the majority not using it) due to the reduced crowdline length at Cosford, compared to say, RIAT. When I went in 2015 it was almost impossible to step between people to try and find somewhere to sit and view the show. Adding a grandstand will just add another obstruction to the windbreaks and the planes parked directly in front of the crowd.

A better idea would be to make more space available between the crowdline and the start of the car park so it is possible to find somewhere to sit and not be almost on top of the family next to you.

RIAT has been ruined for the 'general public' by the ever increasing amount of chalets and grandstands obscuring the view - we don't want that introduced at Cosford, thanks.

nighthawk999

Post by nighthawk999 »

speedbird2639 wrote:I would imagine a grandstand would be hugely unpopular (at least with the majority not using it) due to the reduced crowdline length at Cosford, compared to say, RIAT. When I went in 2015 it was almost impossible to step between people to try and find somewhere to sit and view the show. Adding a grandstand will just add another obstruction to the windbreaks and the planes parked directly in front of the crowd.

A better idea would be to make more space available between the crowdline and the start of the car park so it is possible to find somewhere to sit and not be almost on top of the family next to you.

RIAT has been ruined for the 'general public' by the ever increasing amount of chalets and grandstands obscuring the view - we don't want that introduced at Cosford, thanks.

:up: :up: :up:

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

Whilst I would agree with the remarks above re the need for maximum possible space at the crowd line, a grandstand does not necessarily need to be at crowd centre. Indeed as someone using a camera ( I cannot call myself a “photographer” ) I for one would welcome a grandstand at or near the runway threshold. This would allow for close up approach and landing shots or, if the wind changed, warm up and take off early run shots. Any thoughts ?