RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Andyperkins

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Post by Andyperkins »

This is what they describe as 'changeable weather' lol

I expect heavy rain to be forecast at some point then a few hours later for it to change to light showers.

G for George

Post by G for George »

capercaillie wrote:I wish they'd make a better educated guess about the weather than they're doing at the moment. An hour ago it was sunny spells with a few light showers in the afternoon, reasonably decent I thought, now its just cloudy with no sun all day, so good for the masses but not so good for piccies. I know the weather's a bit all over the place at the moment, and its changing every hour or so but :hypno: :dizzy: :facepalm: :grin:

I've stopped looking at weather forecasts recently. In the run up to last year's Cosford airshow the forecasts were changing literally by the hour. I found myself sifting through the different weather sites until I found a favourable forecast! I'll go prepared for any eventuality, but I'm no photographer, so sympathies regarding that.

JonG96

Post by JonG96 »

Love the fact we're getting two USAF heavies :clap: :yahoo:

Now I'm just wondering what the French could be sending because if it was just a static surely it would have been finalised by now?? :question:

scottspencer

Post by scottspencer »

Although the Irish static was only a couple of days ago

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

It would be nice to have the French Epsilon(s) back this year, if only so they can be parked in a more photographically beneficial position
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

JonG96

Post by JonG96 »

scottspencer wrote:Although the Irish static was only a couple of days ago

Oh yes!! Indeed.

stevebrodie

Post by stevebrodie »

Pringles wrote:
stevebrodie wrote:"...... The Royal Air Force has concluded that the nature of the display sequences of both assets combined with restrictions on their Public Display Authorisations, requires their respective displays to be shifted to a new axis. The change in display axis for these two display items will enable them to both perform their full displays to the west of the airfield....... "

:roll:
From the Q+A session on Monday:
Where is the new axis?
"Broadly: centered just west of the western end of the runway... to the right of where the other acts will be flying. The display line will roughly follow the A464 road... We are closing that road for the duration of those displays, including the 17 tributary roads. The axis are rotated to 291 and 111 degrees.

Separation distance from crowd centre will increase by about 500% by mine and others' estimates

Been stupid, but does that mean as you look forward with the runway in front, the display will mean turning to the right to watch it ?, hence why the road will be shut ?.
Viper: Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature is 110 degrees

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Stunning addition! I haven't seen one fly since 2001, I kept hoping that RIAT would get it back in the air one day but instead its my small local base in the Shropshire country side thats managed to get it!

Well done Peter and the team!

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

stevebrodie wrote:Been stupid, but does that mean as you look forward with the runway in front, the display will mean turning to the right to watch it ?, hence why the road will be shut ?.

Yes, as suggested by:
Broadly: centred just west of the western end of the runway... to the right of where the other acts will be flying. The display line will roughly follow the A464 road...

Jonnym

Post by Jonnym »

wow... amazing stuff!

Massive kudos to Peter and the team who have done everything right this year and made it a great show. Superb.

scottspencer

Post by scottspencer »

Herc removed from website for flypast?

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Well done, in the words of Meatloaf two out of three ain't bad, but i wonder what the chances are??? Rumour is another bomber may be at Fairford with this exercise too.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

scottspencer wrote:Herc removed from website for flypast?

Well spotted, was it going to be flying over Albrighton on the way past or something? :whistle:

Presumably it has been retasked, probably for the best if the high command refused (as was most likely) to relent and allow multiple passes, given that the USAF bombers probably would've shown it up (as last year 3 passes were reportedly planned)

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

One flypast is better than none, totally amazed by the 'if it can't do more than one then would rather it not bother turning up' mentally of some.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Andyperkins wrote:One flypast is better than none, totally amazed by the 'if it can't do more than one then would rather it not bother turning up' mentally of some.

I never said that, as it's always nice to see another example of the RAF's inventory, however as has been said before there was an imbalance in the amount of time that the C130 spent in the hold last year (to the east but probably as far away as the Reds will be!) compared with its single pass - a lot of effort for a bit of an anticlimax. (That's without going into the fact that it was the plain green example rather than one of the several special schemes painted last year) I understand that both factors were out of the organisers' hands, and that attempts were made to rectify that for this year (guess we'll never know if they were successful) however it does highlight the difference in attitudes within the RAF compared with the USAF in this case.

kianelle

Post by kianelle »

just to get everyone excited here is a pic of B52 from last years show.
Imagec by kevkian, on Flickr

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

:clap: POTW surely.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

B_Tank88

Post by B_Tank88 »

:lmao:

I swear if we get that weather again when the B-52 and now a B1B(!!!!!) is due to flypast, I'm moving country.

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

Poor on the RAFs part that they couldn't even send one heavy for a flypast, I'm sure they'll be a few airframes in the U.K. Sat on the tarmac this weekend instead of showcasing them to the tax payer (paying again) at the RAFs only airshow.

Great catch with the 2 US bombers.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Adamwilliams132 wrote:I'm sure they'll be a few airframes in the U.K. Sat on the tarmac this weekend instead of showcasing them to the tax payer (paying again) at the RAFs only airshow.

I'm sure there will be. And I'm sure the crew of those aircraft will be busy completing engineering tasks, mission planning, taking their mandatory rest, or maybe even just out enjoying time with their family.

Presumably there was one spare aircraft/crew, or one that was due to be in the right place at the right time, but something has changed and now there won't be. I doubt it's a malicious attempt by the MOD to stop people seeing RAF assets.

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Be thankful there's an Atlas on static

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Wes_Howes wrote:Be thankful there's an Atlas on static

Yep, at least you'll be able to see this RAF aircraft :ninja:

Sundowner

Post by Sundowner »

Hampshire Aviation wrote:
Adamwilliams132 wrote:I'm sure they'll be a few airframes in the U.K. Sat on the tarmac this weekend instead of showcasing them to the tax payer (paying again) at the RAFs only airshow.

I'm sure there will be. And I'm sure the crew of those aircraft will be busy completing engineering tasks, mission planning, taking their mandatory rest, or maybe even just out enjoying time with their family.

Presumably there was one spare aircraft/crew, or one that was due to be in the right place at the right time, but something has changed and now there won't be. I doubt it's a malicious attempt by the MOD to stop people seeing RAF assets.

Or......... getting them ready for the queens birthday flypast.... :whistle:

Lucasjmet15

Post by Lucasjmet15 »

What an update today !! :rock: :yahoo: :yahoo: :rock:

A certain stealth bomber is due Into Fairford on Friday Morning... What are the chances ? :biggrin: :grin: :heyhey:

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

I'm guessing that I'm not the only one who let out one or two expletives in joyous disbelief upon reading this mid afternoon..

A B-1 over sleepy Shropshire..oooh matron!

I'm honestly not at all bovvered about the Herc Cancelled when weighed up against the B-1 & as for the weather, well turn those GE F101s up and the clouds will soon be vapourised!!

Those naysayers from a couple of months ago are quiet now.

PeterR I take my hat off to you Sir.