RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Chris G

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2017 - [Main Topic]

Post by Chris G »

10/10 for think Chinook commentry, great to hear someone with a bit of enthusiasm for a change other than Red 10!

Comet102

Post by Comet102 »

What time did the B-1 come past?

scottspencer

Post by scottspencer »

Ill drop my full list on later, unless anyone beats me and ill put on any additions

banksy

Post by banksy »

Comet102 wrote:What time did the B-1 come past?

2.40pm it came out of the grim skies at the time but certainly put a smile on everyone's face when it thundered past!
Chester FC Fan Engagement Director
Twitter: @banks247

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Just home, thoroughly enjoyable day, ashame about the Typhoon but it wouldn't be Cosford without some bad luck.

The B-1 pass was stunning, even in the worst weather of the day, 2 minutes later and it would have been in clear blue skys but seeing that thunder past, fully swept on full burners took me back to the Air Fete days.

Italian Tornado was the pick of the displays for me, the PC-7 team were a very tight well done display and the B-52 passes were excellent, that first one was a complete surprise, almost as if he'd got fed up of holding and just went in.

The only negative was the display line for the Reds just made the display look like a mess, I was right up the Western end so I can only imagine how bad it looked from up the other end.

All in all though a massive well done to Peter and the team!

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

I will tell you how it looked from the Eastern end...very eye strainy (thats a technical term). The Reds did seem very distant. I felt for Joe Public though I dare say a few were oblivious to it..
Typhoons one pass was a good un and maybe it was for the best as the Tornado would almost certainly still have stolen his thunder.
PC-7 team were a very worthy inclusion. Rich Goodwin totally bonkers display as usual and made the blades (3 off) look a tad safe. The bbmf was 3spits and a Hurricane and brought the usual tear to ones eye.
Strikemaster/Provost duo got everyones attention with their attack scenario as did the Apache.

The best weather at Cosford for a good few years. A tad windy and a gloomy 15mins when the B-1 roared through. I thought the menace of the sky was very fitting for such an evil looking beastie.

B-17, b-52 & Mustang slot could only really have been bettered by getting them in sync to do a joint flypast but really just seeing the B-52 after last year was just grand.

Enjoyed the Bronco too..An unusual aircraft which looked very much at home here.

One display of the Tutor would have been enough I felt, but that aside my attention was held for most of the display day.

There's others I've missed but all in all a big improvement on last year.
The static looked superb. (IMHO)

One final thing (two really), getting on and off the field on Neachley Lane after the show was superbly managed all the way back to the A-41. I don't think it took more than 20 minutes from ignotion on to the A5 roundabout. So well done there too.
Great effort PeterR and co. See you next year.

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

I didn't go today but I went yesterday and saw the Tornado,Swiss,Whirlwind,Apache and Chinnook do their displays.Someone on the RIAT thread has called it the 'Cosbored air show' so I look forward to reading everyone's reviews.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

The idiots on the live stream when the Typhoon went tech 'he's crashed'
'A crash awesome'
'Smash'
Idiots!

sunwing

Post by sunwing »

Can someone provide a full list or photo of the checklist? We asked at programme stand and was told there not doing one? Really peeved now as just seen on here that threshold were doing one.

scottspencer

Post by scottspencer »

Ill be typing one later but im missing some bits

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Airshowhammer wrote:The idiots on the live stream when the Typhoon went tech 'he's crashed'
'A crash awesome'
'Smash'
Idiots!

Unbelievable there sure are some freaks out there.

Jonnym

Post by Jonnym »

Superbly managed show today - no traffic issues whatsoever - in fact, straight on at 8am, straight off at 6.30pm - best I've ever enjoyed it an airshow.

The Italian Tornado was top notch, the B-52 and B1 flypasts so good to see (despite the weather for the B1 pass!), Rich Goodwin was once again amazing and loads of great displays too. Good to see Sally B and as has been mentioned - the bronco seemed to fit cosford so well. The statics were all well arranged - as was the showground with good gaps between the burger vans and the crowdline.

Poorest thing for me was the RAF changes. The RAF use these shows as recruitment tools for cadets and it's the first time I've ever been to an airshow and there's been a distinct lack of awe from kids who are seeing the Reds. There's normally gasps and wows all round you but it just wasn't there with the display axis. They were just so distant that it lacked any impact and intensity, so much in the way that I would normally be gutted by the Typhoon going tech but it really didn't bother me. Small whinge about an otherwise fantastic day, but this is nothing to do with Peter and team - they executed all their controllables perfectly and can't praise them enough. :clap:

andrewn

Post by andrewn »

borismorris wrote:I will tell you how it looked from the Eastern end...very eye strainy (thats a technical term). The Reds did seem very distant. I felt for Joe Public though I dare say a few were oblivious to it..
Typhoons one pass was a good un and maybe it was for the best as the Tornado would almost certainly still have stolen his thunder.

Was a very good show overall but the "special" axis for the Reds and Typhoon was a total disaster which rendered the Reds display virtually pointless and would have been even worse for the Typhoon. If this is a sign of things to come then the future for UK airshows is very bleak, in my opinion. On a much brighter note the Tornado and US bombers were great, as was the static displays. Weather just about played ball :)

Lucasjmet15

Post by Lucasjmet15 »

john001 wrote:Looks like the Italian Tornado stole the show

Agreed, that last pass was worth the £25 itself ! :drool: :shock: :clap:

G for George

Post by G for George »

Very good show today. We came in from the south this year after camping locally, traffic management was great, was it as good coming in from the direction of the M54? Shame about the Hurricane and Typhoon, and I'd agree about the Reds display looking distant. Even from the western end it seemed like they were miles away. Mustang was a highlight for me, B52's arrival was a surprise. B1 looked fantastic, and the dark skies added to the drama, I feel. It didn't seem too crowded today, but there was a really good atmosphere. Great day, many thanks to the organisers for putting on a quality show.

Alpha Delta 210

Post by Alpha Delta 210 »

speedbird2639 wrote:
concerned about potential nightmare getting out

Leaving before the last act won't help you - Mr & Mrs Chav will start clambering into their 2001 Vauxhall Astra as soon as the RAFAT have finished so the exits will be jammed from mid afternoon. The main exit is a 2 lane single track road under a railway bridge so congestion is a certainty.

If you want to miss the jams getting out the correct policy is as follows: Leave the M54 at junction 3 and on the A41 Newport Road stay in the outside lane of traffic. This will give you the option to turn right down Long Lane and be directed into the off base parking. The off base parking is in a field just North of the railway and is in fact closer to the flight line than some of the on base parking especially that at the Western end. From here you will be able to be able to drive out of the car park with no hold up after the show finishes. If you go for the on base parking option a two hour wait after the show finishes and a stressful experience is pretty much guaranteed.

Hi. I just wanted to thank you for the advice regarding off-base parking. I set my Sat Nav for Long Lane and didn't experience any delays at either end of the day. :clap:

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Just a few thoughts from today.
I agree with others from a traffic point I came in from the north via the M6 and A5, followed the signs through darkest Shropshire and was parked up after an hour and a half’s drive, Not bad for 75 miles. Getting out was just as easy. I didn’t follow the signs but rather repeated my inbound trip. Worked out fine.

The static display was good considering the norm at Cosford has been a fairly non-existent static display. The only fault I would have, and it’s a small one, the aircraft are very spread out and it would be easy to miss some, I nearly missed the Austers and the Cessna O-1 and O-2.
The whole place had a very family friendly atmosphere, I even stopped to listen to the pipe band at one point, although that might a Scottish thing.
I found a spot at display centre a few metres back from the fence. There were fairly large wind-break encampments but frankly they needed them today. I don’t think I’ve ever been cold, hot and wet all at the same air show. The folks around where I was were all friendly and there was a decent atmosphere.

The flying display. On the whole, really good, the Italian Tornado, the Swiss PC-7 team, the Sally B, Pitts Special, the motor glider thing at the beginning, they all stood out. Not that the others were rubbish though. Far from it. Slotting the B-52 in between B-17 runs was a nice touch. The B-1 sadly suffered from the worst of the weather.
It has to be said though that the revised display line for the Red Arrows didn’t work. I was at the normal display centre and they were very distant. I understand all about risk and ALARP - it’s part of my own job as well, but a flying display is for the benefit of those watching, and the visual spectacle has gone. The parties involved need to go away and have a long think about a better solution. It can’t have gone unnoticed that all the other displays managed with the normal display line. Those displays looked as close as they always were and were better for it.

All in all , a good day out and hats off to the organizers for great show.

JJC

Post by JJC »

All in all an excellent day today. First time driving into the show, we were parked up near show centre at 8:50am and were off base by 6:30pm after 20 mins of queuing. Kudos to the excellent traffic management and organisation!

Some excellent items both in the air and on the ground. Chatting to the Met Office guys about their Cessna was fascinating (as was the onboard tour), EAP was well placed and Wss incredible to see an A400 and C-27 on static. Highlights in the flying were numerous: Swiss PC-7 team were as brilliantly polished and smooth as ever. Italian Tornado and USAF bombers were top draw :rock:

Negative points: commentators were absolutely abysmal, talked such a lot of crap and didn't know when to shut up. Top tip: tell people where to look, what to look out for, and give them interesting bits of info. Don't refer to all the aircrew as 'my great friend' and don't make inane remarks incessantly. Bores far too fond of their own voice.

Typhoon and Red Arrows :clown: - didn't miss the Typhoon considering the ridiculous display line. The Reds were neutered, I can't imagine the impact it would've had on a solo fast jet. Perplexing that the Typhoon had gone tech and still did a fast pass/power climb? Was it tech or not? :confused:
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

It was an Excellent Airshow ! Well worth every penny, my first Cosford Airshow, and I am very glad I went this year. Even with the very evident, post Shoreham regulation displays. My only disappointment, was the Hurricane no-show and the Red Arrows display, quality flying, but too distant at times to be enjoyable, no fault of the pilots.

But worth the entrance fee, for the Italian Tornado what a display. And USAF Bombers Flypasts. Never seen a B52 or B1-B, at an Airshow I have attended. I also really enjoyed the Swiss PC-7 Team, they reminded me, of the ex French display Team Patrouille Ecco, who flew with 4 PC-7s. Also the 4 ship BBMF Display, in the wind was impressive.

Even though they clearly taking more time, and were further away than usual. When positioning for there run in's, very good tailchase sequence nontheless. )) Very moving with Elgar's Nimrod, playing over the speakers in the background. Also Peter Teichmans display in the Hangar 11 Mustang, was up to his usual excellent standard. I am definately getting the official DVD of the Airshow. And will be coming again next year ! )) Eddie

PirateTrickster

Post by PirateTrickster »

Will do a proper write up tomorrow, but in summary cracking day out (I'm even sun burnt!)

kianelle

Post by kianelle »

They cleared everyone from fields and road side parking around the display line ..Then reds display directly over A464 and the fields were the police moved people to so they will in a safe area ..am I missing something !!!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

kianelle wrote:They cleared everyone from fields and road side parking around the display line ..Then reds display directly over A464 and the fields were the police moved people to so they will in a safe area ..am I missing something !!!

There was supposed to be 18 road closures for the Reds and Typhoon displays.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

scottspencer

Post by scottspencer »

PirateTrickster wrote:Will do a proper write up tomorrow, but in summary cracking day out (I'm even sun burnt!)

Same lol, didnt realise id caught the sun so much

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

And Thankyou so much Peter Reoch, for organizing such an excellent, varied display and static lineup.

scottspencer

Post by scottspencer »

I must say rhe static exhibits were massively improved from last year. Much more spread out and easier to photograph instead of being packed together.