RAF Cosford Air Show 2018 - [Main Topic]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
vulcan558

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2018 - [Main Topic]

Post by vulcan558 »

Flare Path wrote:Superb contribution from Poland - their Air Force celebrating a centenary year too. :up:

Why I mentioned the RAAF, they will be still in with there 100th with there 6sqn that was formed and at RAF Shawbury and Ternhill so close to Cosford, nice show of 100 year celebrations.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Tue 11 Sep 2018, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

st24

Post by st24 »

vulcan558 wrote:
Flare Path wrote:Superb contribution from Poland - their Air Force celebrating a centenary year too. :up:

Why I mentioned the RAAF, they will be still in with there 100th with there 6sqn that was formed and at RAF Shawbury and Ternhill so close to Cosford, nice show of 100 year celebrations.

Sure but getting a MiG-29 from Poland is a little easier than getting a short ranged, puny (still missing the 'vaarks.. :sad: ) Hornet from the other side of the world.. :confused:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

davidjones533 wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:
jalfrezi wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:I've always thought jets at Cosford were quite distant - is there just the usual 2 display lines?

The Italian tonka was no more distant than it was at RIAT, I believe Cosford follow the MAA display rules just the same as Fairford.

The alternate display line was only used by the Reds last year, though the Typhoon may also have used the alternate line if they didn't have a technical fault prior to display.

OK that makes sense. Lets hope sanity prevails this year. I always enjoy the Red Arrows (and Typhoon) and a more distant line would really spoil the displays in my view.

It's not about distance from the crowdline, but shifting the entire display to the west of the airfield to avoid overflying populated areas. This was all well-documented last year, and unless the regulations have changed, or they have moved the village of Albrighton, then it will apply again this year. Hopefully something has been sorted, but if not then those aircraft performing high energy aerobatics that can't keep within the small central display box will be forced to use the alternative axis. Cosford had two fast jets last year - the Italian Tornado flew a beautifully tight display to keep within the central box, the RAF Typhoon would have used the alternative axis had it not gone tech. What will the Fulcrum be able to do? Who knows?

Let this not take away from the achievement in attracting the Fulcrum to Cosford - I just hope the new rules don't spoil things. The Reds were virtually invisible from the east of the airfield - and they are 9 aircraft with smoke - God knows what the Typhoon display would have looked like.

I didn't follow the build-up last year as I had no plans to attend, but this is a terrible shame. Cosford is a big commitment for me as i'm not local and neutered fast jet displays will totally spoil the show for me if that's all we're getting. I agree that having the Mig at the show is a big achievement, but unfortunately it's wasted effort if all we'll see is a distant smoke trail.

st24

Post by st24 »

MiG_Eater wrote:
davidjones533 wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:
jalfrezi wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:I've always thought jets at Cosford were quite distant - is there just the usual 2 display lines?

The Italian tonka was no more distant than it was at RIAT, I believe Cosford follow the MAA display rules just the same as Fairford.

The alternate display line was only used by the Reds last year, though the Typhoon may also have used the alternate line if they didn't have a technical fault prior to display.

OK that makes sense. Lets hope sanity prevails this year. I always enjoy the Red Arrows (and Typhoon) and a more distant line would really spoil the displays in my view.

It's not about distance from the crowdline, but shifting the entire display to the west of the airfield to avoid overflying populated areas. This was all well-documented last year, and unless the regulations have changed, or they have moved the village of Albrighton, then it will apply again this year. Hopefully something has been sorted, but if not then those aircraft performing high energy aerobatics that can't keep within the small central display box will be forced to use the alternative axis. Cosford had two fast jets last year - the Italian Tornado flew a beautifully tight display to keep within the central box, the RAF Typhoon would have used the alternative axis had it not gone tech. What will the Fulcrum be able to do? Who knows?

Let this not take away from the achievement in attracting the Fulcrum to Cosford - I just hope the new rules don't spoil things. The Reds were virtually invisible from the east of the airfield - and they are 9 aircraft with smoke - God knows what the Typhoon display would have looked like.

I didn't follow the build-up last year as I had no plans to attend, but this is a terrible shame. Cosford is a big commitment for me as i'm not local and neutered fast jet displays will totally spoil the show for me if that's all we're getting. I agree that having the Mig at the show is a big achievement, but unfortunately it's wasted effort if all we'll see is a distant smoke trail.

Fear not as it would appear only the Typhoon and Reds put the greater populace of Shropshire at risk; foreign jets avoid with aplomb and so can use the standard display line.... :tongue:

exocet_uk

Post by exocet_uk »

I'd be surprised to see anything other than the 'classic' display line featuring at the airshow this year.

Amongst the RAF and the airshow itself, it sounds like all is in hand. :up:

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

That would be great news if true!

Should be an absolutely fabulous static display even if the flying doesn't live up to expectation.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

No reason to think the Fulcrum couldn't perform it's routine in the same confines as the Italian Tornado did last year.

Cole

Post by Cole »

Well done! Awesome update :up:
Canon 750D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um.. :rofl:

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

RAF Typhoon self confirmed. Let’s hope they’ve sorted the display axis for this year or it will just be a dot in the sky.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Adamwilliams132 wrote:RAF Typhoon self confirmed. Let’s hope they’ve sorted the display axis for this year or it will just be a dot in the sky.

I don't how the display axis can change as nothing at Cosford has changed. The occupied premises which were the problem before are still there and occupied and the display rules will be the same/ tighter so I don't see what they can do unless they redesign their display to be 'Cosford specific'.

It'll probably turn up and then go 'tech' out of the pure shame of having the little Airfix style 'RAF 100'decal on the tail anyway.

Adamwilliams132

speedbird2639 wrote:
Adamwilliams132 wrote:RAF Typhoon self confirmed. Let’s hope they’ve sorted the display axis for this year or it will just be a dot in the sky.

I don't how the display axis can change as nothing at Cosford has changed. The occupied premises which were the problem before are still there and occupied and the display rules will be the same/ tighter so I don't see what they can do unless they redesign their display to be 'Cosford specific'.

It'll probably turn up and then go 'tech' out of the pure shame of having the little Airfix style 'RAF 100'decal on the tail anyway.

It’ll be a shame if something can’t be sorted. The reds looked very distant last year and that’s multiple jets formation flying. Joe public around me weren’t happy that the “stars” of the show were so far away.

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Got to admit it's a farcical situation when a less manoeuvrable foreign jet pitches up and displays on the normal axis.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

You mean the Red's & Typhoon can't turn tighter than a Mig 29?? :shock:

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Was referring to last years Italian Tornado and the RAF Typhoon.

Cole

Post by Cole »

speedbird2639 wrote:

well it'd beat last year when the "ECS" or in layman's terms the air-conditioning broke :lol:
Canon 750D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um.. :rofl:

fideaux

Post by fideaux »

Good news for the 'layman'... Pilot obeys rules 'scandal'.
Page 103
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... cklist.pdf

Adamwilliams132

Strange that Cosford haven’t announced any RAF assets when most other shows have. Surely the reds and typhoon are a major selling point for joe public.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Perhaps they're holding back news of a special Tornado,Typhoon, Spitfire & Hurricane 100 years special flight.
:wink: :drool:

st24

Post by st24 »

borismorris wrote:Perhaps they're holding back news of a special Tornado,Typhoon, Spitfire & Hurricane 100 years special flight.

But that would only represent a 70 or so year anniversary. You'd need a Camel/Pup or F2b with an F-35 to get the full 100years...

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

st24 wrote:
borismorris wrote:Perhaps they're holding back news of a special Tornado,Typhoon, Spitfire & Hurricane 100 years special flight.

But that would only represent a 70 or so year anniversary. You'd need a Camel/Pup or F2b with an F-35 to get the full 100years...

Would a Pup with an F-35 be two pups? :question:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Adamwilliams132 wrote:Strange that Cosford haven’t announced any RAF assets when most other shows have. Surely the reds and typhoon are a major selling point for joe public.

Red Arrows display dates are out today and are down for Cosford.

Adamwilliams132

vulcan558 wrote:
Adamwilliams132 wrote:Strange that Cosford haven’t announced any RAF assets when most other shows have. Surely the reds and typhoon are a major selling point for joe public.

Red Arrows display dates are out today and are down for Cosford.

This was more my point, Tutor , Typhoon and Reds have all self confirmed so surely Cosford has ethe paperwork to announce there displays.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Not sure who does the announcements, but Peter has been away recently.

Perhaps they're just waiting for the right time to announce?

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Adamwilliams132 wrote:
This was more my point, Tutor , Typhoon and Reds have all self confirmed so surely Cosford has ethe paperwork to announce there displays.

Does it really matter, Cosford is the only RAF show, the Reds & Typhoon are the RAFs headline acts, Stevie Wonder can see they’ll be there
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale