RAF Cosford Air Show 2018 - [Main Topic]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
st24

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2018 - [Main Topic]

Post by st24 »

Flare Path wrote:Definitely should have been two days. :sad:

Oh well.

This this and this. Such an epic looking show resting on a half decent day in June- odds aren't great. Cosford isn't a low key show that I've always seen as a brownie point earning family day out any more. To Captain Reochs enormous credit its suddenly become very serious and I'd hate to see such monumental efforts washed out.....
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

st24

Post by st24 »

Tommy wrote:
st24 wrote:Yay! Always enjoy seeing Police helicopters....

That reminds me of when I was chatting to one of the Chinook Display Team loadies at the press launch recently, and we got to talking about his time training as a crewman on Griffins at Shawbury. He said he had memories of doing training near the A5/M54 and seeing traffic gradually build up as everyone (who must've thought they were police helicopters) started slowing down, until the crew said "eh, enough's enough. We don't want to cause an issue here, let's move on"

It'll be even worse now they've got the Junos/Jupiters.

Maybe the whole thing is just some expert trolling by the MoD. :grin:

I recall a similar conversation during a press call for the retirement of the Gazelles. A very cheery QFI commented that with the Squirrel (not so the Griffin - proper mil job) and the wretched Black scheme they could blame low flying complaints on the Police!!
Perhaps it's a subversive ploy by the government to make it look like our Police forces (well Shrops, Staffs and Powys) have lots of choppers and to keep speeding down on the A5/458/M54 etc...

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

On the point of the show occurring over two days, it's a question I really pressed at the launch, given the hype covered in previous UKAR previews and the rumour mill over the last few years. It seemed to be a real possibility of late and of course the notion has been discussed - and dismissed. Personally, I think that they've missed out on a golden opportunity, even if it was for one year only.

This is by no means a criticism on my part, I am just aware that there will be so much to see and do, much more than previous years. As you suggest Geoff, given the absolutely monumental efforts by everyone at Cosford this year to create what will no doubt be a corker of a show, it seems on the face of it crazy to put all their eggs in one basket and get everything together for just one day instead of seizing this chance, especially when you consider things like weather, serviceability, operational requirements etc that have put the mockers on previous shows.

While I appreciate it's easier said than done considering comments about draws on resources at the station, I'm sure things like this could have been overcome - look at the team that supports the show! I just got the impression it's 'not now, not ever', despite everyone's best wishes and efforts. Just make sure you make the most of the day!!
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Yeovilton runs the same risk and has fallen fowl of it in the past, you just have to get down on your knees and prey to the sky gods for blue skies and sunshine :lol:

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

[tweet]https://twitter.com/cosfordairshow/status/994512240622661632[/tweet]

Lucasjmet15

Post by Lucasjmet15 »

Just read on Facebook that the Belgian F16 is due to display at the show ! :rock:

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Were did you read that? My Belgian is none existent so I hope I'm wrong but this looks like there schedule doesn't have Cosford on it.

http://www.rateone.be/agenda/

AMB

Post by AMB »

MiG_Eater wrote:Absolutely. To be honest, my one gripe with Cosford is that it's always so crowded. If only they would host the show over two days and limit the attendance more strictly it would be a favourite show of mine. As it is, I always attend grudgingly since the crowd line lay out is so poor. Admittedly, this year it looks like it's worth attending for the static alone (and the Mig of course!)

Cosford is a nightmare to get in and out of, with queues stretching for miles in previous years. I have heard of people not getting in, giving up and going home. What Cosford need to do is park traffic in adjacent fields and have a bus shuttle service into the airfield, so there will be no traffic congestion. As much as I would like to attend on the day, unless they announce this, I am put off from attending.
Adrian

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Ive got there early and left late the last four years and not had any issues getting in or away.

If you rock up half an hour before the show starts and leave after the red arrows have done their thing then yeah,you're probably going to sit there in your car for a while.

Having said that,the queue issue hasn't been anywhere near as bad since they brought in advance tickets only.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

AMB wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:Absolutely. To be honest, my one gripe with Cosford is that it's always so crowded. If only they would host the show over two days and limit the attendance more strictly it would be a favourite show of mine. As it is, I always attend grudgingly since the crowd line lay out is so poor. Admittedly, this year it looks like it's worth attending for the static alone (and the Mig of course!)

Cosford is a nightmare to get in and out of, with queues stretching for miles in previous years. I have heard of people not getting in, giving up and going home. What Cosford need to do is park traffic in adjacent fields and have a bus shuttle service into the airfield, so there will be no traffic congestion. As much as I would like to attend on the day, unless they announce this, I am put off from attending.

Utter nonsense.

Lucasjmet15

Post by Lucasjmet15 »

Luke28 wrote:Were did you read that? My Belgian is none existent so I hope I'm wrong but this looks like there schedule doesn't have Cosford on it.

http://www.rateone.be/agenda/

It was on a comment on one of their posts last week, someone asked them if they were displaying at Cosford and their response was 'yessss'

https://www.facebook.com/BelgianAirForc ... 065672172/

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

So, the F35s arrive in UK the week before Cosford.

hmmmm......

Cole

Post by Cole »

jasonT1981 wrote:So, the F35s arrive in UK the week before Cosford.

hmmmm......

I don't expect a display...But *winks at Peter* a flypast or static would be nice. :biggrin: :wink:
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

alpha586

Post by alpha586 »

I don't think we will get one on static, we already have the mock up from Lockheed. I know the F35 could certainly land easily on Cosfords runway, in terms of runway length, but would it be necessary to build the landing pads seen when they displayed at Fairford? A fly past would be the best we could hope for given the short timeframe from delivery to the UK to the day of the show.
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!

CJS

Post by CJS »

In terms of runway length it could land on a helipad.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

Pretty sure the downward thrust from the Pratt & Whitney F135 engine would melt a standard blacktop runway, hence why the special landing pad had to be installed at Fairford. :dunno:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Yeah I know I was just being silly. It was this bit I was referring to...

alpha586 wrote: I know the F35 could certainly land easily on Cosfords runway, in terms of runway length, but would it be necessary to build the landing pads seen when they displayed at Fairford?
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

alpha586 wrote:I don't think we will get one on static, we already have the mock up from Lockheed. I know the F35 could certainly land easily on Cosfords runway, in terms of runway length, but would it be necessary to build the landing pads seen when they displayed at Fairford? A fly past would be the best we could hope for given the short timeframe from delivery to the UK to the day of the show.

See "Halfpenny Green Radial Fly-in 2017"....... :grin:
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

PirateTrickster

Post by PirateTrickster »

AMB wrote:

Last year I arrived around 0830 (I think) and got straight on and parked. Left after the last display (Chinook) and was on the M54 in about 10 mins, probably less.

alpha586

Post by alpha586 »

Ian G wrote:
alpha586 wrote:I don't think we will get one on static, we already have the mock up from Lockheed. I know the F35 could certainly land easily on Cosfords runway, in terms of runway length, but would it be necessary to build the landing pads seen when they displayed at Fairford? A fly past would be the best we could hope for given the short timeframe from delivery to the UK to the day of the show.

See "Halfpenny Green Radial Fly-in 2017"....... :grin:

Just what I was thinking! :lol:
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

PirateTrickster wrote:Last year I arrived around 0830 (I think) and got straight on and parked. Left after the last display (Chinook) and was on the M54 in about 10 mins, probably less.

Its been much improved since the switched to advance tickets only and had some off site parking which has taken some of the pressure off the parking situation. It did used to be a minimum of a two hour wait if you stayed to the end and were parked in the middle of the airfield.

The idea of a two day show has been brought up a few times in recent years - I think the catalyst for this may have been the last year without all advance tickets when it was glorious sunshine and so loads of people came on the day to buy tickets on the door and queues were such that with no priority entry for for advance ticket holders many didn't get in before the gates had to close as the airfield was full. Cosford organisers have always said the additional costs of staging it over two days means that is unlikely to ever happen. That's fair enough as some years it doesn't sell out and with off site parking and advance tickets the difficulties of the past can be avoided.

Looks like its going to be an excellent show this year so fingers crossed the weather is good.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

More aircraft to be announced tomorrow

[tweet]https://twitter.com/cosfordairshow/status/995991664211656705[/tweet]

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

They showed this at the press launch on the powerpoint, and I was hoping some form of it would become available publicly.

An interesting 3D map showing where the differently themed static display areas will be and what will be in them (broadly), to say nothing of car parking areas (which seem pretty standard fare, I think?).

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LTTCosford/status/996041310795698182[/tweet]

st24

Post by st24 »

Tommy wrote:They showed this at the press launch on the powerpoint, and I was hoping some form of it would become available publicly.

An interesting 3D map showing where the differently themed static display areas will be and what will be in them (broadly), to say nothing of car parking areas (which seem pretty standard fare, I think?).

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LTTCosford/status/996041310795698182[/tweet]

3 Dornier 17s in the WW2 section!! Wow! Nothing in the blast pens? I'd say that's gonna be nigh on impossible to shoot.. :sad:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I think take the actual locations of the aircraft with a pinch of salt. For instance, no Pakistan Herk shown. More a vague idea of what sort of aircraft will be where, etc.

I'd hope that the blast pens, and the area with the nice tree background is used again.