RAF Cosford Air Show 2018 - [Main Topic]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
davidjones533

Re: RAF Cosford Airshow 2018 - [Main Topic]

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sun 09 Sep 2018, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Who created the page on the website that believes the Wessex retired in 1985? :snack:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

From the website:
Private Enclosures

Would your company prefer a bespoke hospitality package? Tell us what you want and we can make it happen as we create a bespoke solution tailored to your individual requirements. Are you organising a reunion or special family occasion? Let us know what you would like to make the day really special and we can create a package to suit.

Would a UKAR enclosure be viable?. with so much going on it would give us a chance to look around at the statics then not have to worry about about trying to get near the front when the flying starts.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

PirateTrickster

Post by PirateTrickster »

Wow, as someone has already remarked - how do we fit all this into a day?! This year the flying display started 1130 and I only just got around the static and in position for the start of the flying.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Mooshie1956 wrote:From the website:
Private Enclosures

Would your company prefer a bespoke hospitality package? Tell us what you want and we can make it happen as we create a bespoke solution tailored to your individual requirements. Are you organising a reunion or special family occasion? Let us know what you would like to make the day really special and we can create a package to suit.

Would a UKAR enclosure be viable?. with so much going on it would give us a chance to look around at the statics then not have to worry about about trying to get near the front when the flying starts.

We could look into it? Some of the "old guard" (term used v. respectfully, I hasten to add) might be able to correct me, but UKAR used to have a small tent/enclosure at Kemble some moons ago which was pretty successful.

As always, cost is the principle issue (& attendance on the day, obviously!)

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Tommy wrote:
Mooshie1956 wrote:From the website:
Private Enclosures

We could look into it? Some of the "old guard" (term used v. respectfully, I hasten to add) might be able to correct me, but UKAR used to have a small tent/enclosure at Kemble some moons ago which was pretty successful.

As always, cost is the principle issue (& attendance on the day, obviously!)

The UKAR enclosure had a good few successful years at Kemble, run by Paul (big cheese) and his lovely wife Bibi. Think it was sold out every year it happened.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

According to twitter there will be more RAF 100th static announcements this coming week.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/cosfordairshow/status/922142272539582464[/tweet]

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

boff180 wrote:If the Lightning Force HQ twitter account is still correct (stated 12/3/2016) the exact arrival date is 1st June 2018.

Andy

Being pedantic :grin: 810 day's from the 12th March 2016 would be 31st May 2018 :smile: There are /were posted up on the around Marham with 31st May 2018 stated for the arrival during visits ive had to the station. Lot's of time still for delays yet :grin:

207(R) Sqn have tweeted COM(Air) DE&S stating they will be arriving 30th July 2019
Gary

Lucasjmet15

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2018 - [Main Topic]

Post by Lucasjmet15 »

Hopefully XV582 will be on static as it arrived at Cosford this evening, brilliant aircraft ! :love:

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

Just picking bits out of there post on twitter and the official website. It looks like there's a Meteor, DC-3 and the Hawker Cygnet all coming out of the museum for static or the DC-3 from elsewhere.

Shyft87

Post by Shyft87 »

Adamwilliams132 wrote:Just picking bits out of there post on twitter and the official website. It looks like there's a Meteor, DC-3 and the Hawker Cygnet all coming out of the museum for static or the DC-3 from elsewhere.

I'm fairly sure the Dakota would have to come from elsewhere!... I'll check Saturday, but last I saw it was still hanging from the cold war museum ceiling :lol:

Adamwilliams132

Shyft87 wrote:
Adamwilliams132 wrote:Just picking bits out of there post on twitter and the official website. It looks like there's a Meteor, DC-3 and the Hawker Cygnet all coming out of the museum for static or the DC-3 from elsewhere.

I'm fairly sure the Dakota would have to come from elsewhere!... I'll check Saturday, but last I saw it was still hanging from the cold war museum ceiling :lol:

I did think that myself not long after I wrote the post. Don't think anything will come out of the Cold War hangar as it's just to big of a job to get anything out of there.

st24

Post by st24 »

Just imagine the static they could have if they hadn't consigned them all to their doom in the cold war museum... :sad:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Lucasjmet15 wrote:Hopefully XV582 will be on static as it arrived at Cosford this evening, brilliant aircraft ! :love:

Confirmed today :)

From their facebook

Today an F-4 Phantom, known as ‘Black Mike’, was delivered by road to the airfield, becoming the first aircraft to arrive for our special RAF100 ground displays at the Air Show on Sunday 10th June 2018!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/cosfordairshow/status/923499437741281281[/tweet]

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

st24 wrote:Just imagine the static they could have if they hadn't consigned them all to their doom in the cold war museum... :sad:

What on earth are you talking about. The cold war museum is excellent and is a perfectly appropriate venue for preserving these airframes. I don't think it's right to judge a museum by the ease of removing exhibits for display at other events.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Out of curiosity does anyone know how far along the Wellington restoration is, that is the one they have in the conservation area?.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Adamwilliams132

st24 wrote:Just imagine the static they could have if they hadn't consigned them all to their doom in the cold war museum... :sad:

Imagine if they hadn't chopped up the Vulcan B1 or got rid of some rare airframes from the BA collection. Personally ive always wanted to see the Lincoln outside as it was the aircraft my grandad worked on during his time in the RAF. It gets overlooked every time but was the Lancasters successor. He also worked on Washingtons as a "professional sweeper upper and tea boy". There's a few absolute gems in that museum that need to see the light of day and a few stored on site that also need to come back out.

AMB

Post by AMB »

This is the 100th Anniversary of the RAF - they have the potential to pulll outside a lot of the museum aircraft and line-them up in chronological order. They really need to seize this opportunity and even make them available for a nightshoot perhaps?
Adrian

Cole

Post by Cole »

AMB wrote:This is the 100th Anniversary of the RAF - they have the potential to pulll outside a lot of the museum aircraft and line-them up in chronological order. They really need to seize this opportunity and even make them available for a nightshoot perhaps?

Now... i like that idea :tongue:
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Think it's been stated a couple of times that a nightshoot at Cosford wouldn't really work because it doesn't get dark until very late in the evening - and is a lot to ask of an already exhausted volunteer team, amongst other issues.

RAF Cosford Air Show

Post by RAF Cosford Air Show »

AMB wrote:This is the 100th Anniversary of the RAF - they have the potential to pulll outside a lot of the museum aircraft and line-them up in chronological order.

If you read our RAF100 Vision, which is available on our website, you will know that this is exactly what we intend to do! And for aircraft which are not available to be pulled out from the RAF Museum, we will be road-moving a number of airframes to the site especially for the Air Show, with "Black Mike" being the first of these moves. More aircraft will be announced, and moved, in the coming months...

RAF Cosford Air Show wrote:Our mission for the Royal Air Force Cosford Air Show 2018 is to create the most spectacular and interactive Air Show tribute to the Royal Air Force's centenary. Headlining the RAF100 celebrations at RAF Cosford will be a unique ground display involving 100 aircraft (representing 100 years), showcasing the history of the Royal Air Force in chronological order across the airfield site. The display will be arranged in four zones, each covering key events of the past century. This will enable visitors to walk the site and journey through the history of the Royal Air Force, and aviation as a whole. Returning visitors will recognise elements of our highly popular 'Vintage Villages' represented in each zone, where visitors will be immersed in the period's history.

st24

Post by st24 »

Tommy wrote:Think it's been stated a couple of times that a nightshoot at Cosford wouldn't really work because it doesn't get dark until very late in the evening - and is a lot to ask of an already exhausted volunteer team, amongst other issues.

So a "spotters type day" on the Saturday is needed. Sign me up to volunteer to help.. :smile:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

seconded, that would be perfectly suited to the occasion.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

st24 wrote:
Tommy wrote:Think it's been stated a couple of times that a nightshoot at Cosford wouldn't really work because it doesn't get dark until very late in the evening - and is a lot to ask of an already exhausted volunteer team, amongst other issues.

So a "spotters type day" on the Saturday is needed. Sign me up to volunteer to help.. :smile:

Thirded by me. I've oft thought that Cosford, if not a two day event, should at least do something public on the Saturday.