RAF Cosford Air Show 2018 - [Main Topic]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Cole

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2018 - [Main Topic]

Post by Cole »

The Baron wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:Don't know where your going to find a flying Hunter? Apart from Holland or Sweden of course, mind you if the aim is just to parade all but the front line from there onwards then fair enough! You might have a Canberra who knows. Pity we're not Sweden, then we could have full representation of the frontline, seamlessly! :wink:

FB :biggrin:

G-FFOX?

Check There FB.. "Hunter Flight Academy"
Its a possibility
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

The Baron wrote:Don't know where your going to find a flying Hunter? Apart from Holland or Sweden of course, mind you if the aim is just to parade all but the front line from there onwards then fair enough! You might have a Canberra who knows. Pity we're not Sweden, then we could have full representation of the frontline, seamlessly! :wink:

Going to be quite a few now the ban has been lifted in the UK. Also HHA have a few Hunters that could fly even with the ban in place.

Canberra? XH134 is in storage after not finding a buyer, WK163 is going to sit with VTTS doing nothing until the new hanger is up and running next year it seems.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Have all these Hunter operators said they'll be on the circuit this have they? :cuppa:

By the way, I wouldn't hold out any hope for HHA, the last time they had a Hunter display flying was 2010 as far as I can recollect, speak to any of that crowd now and you'll short shrift if you mention display flying! 'That's not what we're here for' etc etc.

I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

FB, you speak with such confidence on many topics when questioned. Could I ask what your experience working in the aviation industry is? I do find it odd at your (and others) desires to constantly belittle Cosford, espically as it's only January. Reference the Hunter, with the military today being so "brand conscious" would they want a Hawker Hunter in the Flying Display? Is it too soon after Shoreham?

harkins

Post by harkins »

Initially I was a bit concerned that this years Cosford air show sounded like it likely won't feature any overseas participation, but the more i hear and think about it, it's a wonderful opportunity to see so many RAF types together and you don't celebrate your 100th very often.

However, having seen the great effort and presumably great cost going into getting Black Mike moved around and refurbished and now CAHC's Lightning too, I do fear that this amazing effort could be somewhat wasted (for want of a better term) by only being presented to the public for one day and a day in which knowing the great British summer has a reasonable chance of being very gloomy and even very wet (fingers crossed it isn't). I do wonder if there will be any plan announced for a couple of additional photo opportunities to improve the chance of decent weather at some point and to perhaps allow these air frames to be photographed and admired in a less cone/fence/rope/people cluttered situation? I also suspect that 100 static aircraft at Cosford will likely mean it looks a little like the deck of a US aircraft carrier.

I promise this isn't a moan, just a hope that the most can be made of a lot of time effort and money to assemble what is looking to be an incredible collection of aircraft at Cosford.

Berf

Post by Berf »

harkins wrote:Initially I was a bit concerned that this years Cosford air show sounded like it likely won't feature any overseas participation, but the more i hear and think about it, it's a wonderful opportunity to see so many RAF types together and you don't celebrate your 100th very often.

However, having seen the great effort and presumably great cost going into getting Black Mike moved around and refurbished and now CAHC's Lightning too, I do fear that this amazing effort could be somewhat wasted (for want of a better term) by only being presented to the public for one day and a day in which knowing the great British summer has a reasonable chance of being very gloomy and even very wet (fingers crossed it isn't). I do wonder if there will be any plan announced for a couple of additional photo opportunities to improve the chance of decent weather at some point and to perhaps allow these air frames to be photographed and admired in a less cone/fence/rope/people cluttered situation? I also suspect that 100 static aircraft at Cosford will likely mean it looks a little like the deck of a US aircraft carrier.

I promise this isn't a moan, just a hope that the most can be made of a lot of time effort and money to assemble what is looking to be an incredible collection of aircraft at Cosford.

Seems you agree with my post on the previous page Harkins :smile:

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Spotty_Jag wrote:FB, you speak with such confidence on many topics when questioned. Could I ask what your experience working in the aviation industry is? I do find it odd at your (and others) desires to constantly belittle Cosford, espically as it's only January. Reference the Hunter, with the military today being so "brand conscious" would they want a Hawker Hunter in the Flying Display? Is it too soon after Shoreham?

Spotty my dear Lord of the Skies, twas others raised the Spectre of an airworthy Hunter roaring into Cosford, I merely asked where will one come from if not the SWAFHF or the Dutch Historic Aviation outfit. I had no idea I was casting my credentials about in so doing. :cuppa:

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

I'd imagine Colin Boyd and/or Chris Heames should have their DA by then.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Berf wrote:Seems you agree with my post on the previous page Harkins :smile:

Oh yes, almost word for word. I guess this sentiment is probably widely held and surely a given that the people at Cosford have considered this too. Lets just hope that there is some way in which they are able to make the absolute most of their considerable efforts.

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

A Spotters Day, similar to Yeovilton would be a good starting point with access to the static being allowed once all movements were completed. Although if any aircraft need to validate that could scupper that plan.

Berf

Post by Berf »

harkins wrote:
Berf wrote:Seems you agree with my post on the previous page Harkins :smile:

Oh yes, almost word for word. I guess this sentiment is probably widely held and surely a given that the people at Cosford have considered this too. Lets just hope that there is some way in which they are able to make the absolute most of their considerable efforts.

:up: more support shown for it the better!

RAF Cosford Air Show

Post by RAF Cosford Air Show »

We recognise there is significant demand for such an opportunity, given the uniqueness of the RAF100 static display that we are pulling together, for photographers. We do have an aspiration for some kind of photographers event on Saturday and are considering various options for this. However, we cannot make any commitment at this stage as there are a number of hurdles to overcome.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Great to know that you're looking into it and I think we all know that these things are never as straight forward as we might imagine. Good luck and fingers crossed!

Berf

Post by Berf »

Great - thanks for letting us know...

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Finningley Boy wrote:...the Spectre of an airworthy Hunter roaring into Cosford, I merely asked where will one come from...

All being well, there could be two flying this year. T8 WV322 (G-BZSE) in a navy scheme and T7 WV318 (G-FFOX).
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

RAF Cosford Air Show wrote:We recognise there is significant demand for such an opportunity, given the uniqueness of the RAF100 static display that we are pulling together, for photographers. We do have an aspiration for some kind of photographers event on Saturday and are considering various options for this. However, we cannot make any commitment at this stage as there are a number of hurdles to overcome.

Definitely get support from me. Anyone else like to add to give the organisers a "feel" for numbers etc.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

It appears Cosford are about to announce a Gloster Gladiator this afternoon :-)

st24

Post by st24 »

boff180 wrote:It appears Cosford are about to announce a Gloster Gladiator this afternoon :-)

The lovely museum one on static I'm assuming from the tweet??..
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

boff180 wrote:It appears Cosford are about to announce a Gloster Gladiator this afternoon :-)

You're not continuing your trend of 2017 by announcing spoilers ahead of the organisers announcements by any chance Andy? :whistle: After all they may want to maximus publicity wherever possible. :wave:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Well they've implied it...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/cosfordairshow/status/953619831311552515[/tweet]

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

[tweet]https://twitter.com/cosfordairshow/status/953694863245152256[/tweet]

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Xray833 wrote:
RAF Cosford Air Show wrote:We recognise there is significant demand for such an opportunity, given the uniqueness of the RAF100 static display that we are pulling together, for photographers. We do have an aspiration for some kind of photographers event on Saturday and are considering various options for this. However, we cannot make any commitment at this stage as there are a number of hurdles to overcome.

Definitely get support from me. Anyone else like to add to give the organisers a "feel" for numbers etc.

Me too, looks like a great opportunity and I'm not expecting to make the 200th.

John

PirateTrickster

Post by PirateTrickster »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Xray833 wrote:

Me too, looks like a great opportunity and I'm not expecting to make the 200th.

John

Me three

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

cg_341 wrote:Well they've implied it...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/cosfordairshow/status/953619831311552515[/tweet]

It looks awfully like a 72 Sqn Gladiator!?

Best Regards,

PS I'd just logged on and hadn't seen the reveal between this post and the original! :win:

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

de Havilland Chipmunk has been added to the flying display.
Morane-Saulnier Type N Replica from Ridley’s Aeroplane Co added to static.