RAF Cosford Air Show 2018 - [Main Topic]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Lucasjmet15

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2018 - [Main Topic]

Post by Lucasjmet15 »

jasonT1981 wrote:Fantastic addition today.

BAC Jet Provost T5 from Jet Aerobatics is also in the flying display.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/cosfordairshow/status/943916530756210688[/tweet]

Shaping up very nicely, great work the team @Cosford ! :rock:

Cole

Post by Cole »

Mann This is looking good :yahoo: :smile:
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Cole

Post by Cole »

Hangar 11 Hurricane has been sold.
Dudley, West Midlands

Well Um..

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Yeah, just saw that

[tweet]https://twitter.com/flightlineuk/status/944113655863480321[/tweet]

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

ColeTheDemolisher wrote:Hangar 11 Hurricane has been sold.

I'm awaiting news from Hangar 11 reference the Hurribombers participation. We will be publish news once we have a firm update. :up:

Cole

Post by Cole »

PeterR wrote:
ColeTheDemolisher wrote:Hangar 11 Hurricane has been sold.

I'm awaiting news from Hangar 11 reference the Hurribombers participation. We will be publish news once we have a firm update. :up:

Thanks for the update Peter :up:
Dudley, West Midlands

Well Um..

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

It's supposedly staying in the UK so every chance it'll still be available to take part. Here's hoping anyway!
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

Westland Gazelle X2 - Gazelle Squadron (flying)
Westland Gazelle X1 - Gazelle Squadron (Static)
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

Lucasjmet15

Post by Lucasjmet15 »

Also Great War display team 3-ship and 2 static as well as a jet provost on static according to the website. Looking like a great line-up so far ! :up:

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Lucasjmet15 wrote:Also Great War display team 3-ship and 2 static as well as a jet provost on static according to the website. Looking like a great line-up so far ! :up:

If you say so. :cuppa:

FB
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Thats it FB, lets crack down on enthusiasm. :roll:

That cup is very much half empty isn't it. :cuppa: :facepalm:

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

borismorris wrote:Thats it FB, lets crack down on enthusiasm. :roll:

That cup is very much half empty isn't it. :cuppa: :facepalm:

That's right there's very little to get enthusiastic about, in the RAF's centennial year, the RAF's sole representative air show is on a tiny airfield and as far as recent efforts go at Cosford and with the RAF, you may as well get enthusiastic about a couple of light 'out of service' utility choppers, some charming old replica WW1 era biplanes. Boris its not that its early days, its typical Cosford, look at the Dark Blue effort already at Yeovilton, if the two ran simultaneously, centenary or not, I'm sure of which will provide the top show and that's where I would go. It will be interesting to see what the RAF does otherwise to celebrate the greatest milestone Birthday of its existence, dare I say, so far?

IW :cuppa:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

But surely FB, you cannot be knocking the RAF show attracting types that served with the RAF in their prestigious 100 year history? At this very early stage where very little has been announced early, those are clearly positives?

The Navy striking lucky this early with the French has nothing to do with Cosford show. Fingers crossed that when the overseas acts start to get involved some air arms who served with the RAF during darker hours or have history within the RAF will start to support - Czechs, Poles, Belgians, Dutch etc, until then what are you expecting?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Witchcraft24

Post by Witchcraft24 »

Isn’t RIAT the location for the main RAF100 airshow celebration?

Having said that, the RAF100 website does indicate support for Cosford and Portrush. As to what form that takes, I guess we will have to wait and see - it’s only January.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Unless the "dark blue effort" is going to go cower in the corner of a field somewhere I dont see what they have to do with the RAF centenary. As for Cosford being a tiny airfield... what's that got to do with anything..

If folk didn't want to go to Cosford they wouldn't go- yet there's always a healthy crowd and last years b1/b52 flybys were something that even the RIAT posse didn't get.

Same old Cosford though eh...:tumbleweed:

You go to Yeovilton and enjoy yourself there.

I will be supporting my local show (as well as RIAT and a few others) and look forward to your next half empty cup cynicism comment.

Lighten up old chap eh! :wink:

stevebrodie

Post by stevebrodie »

Viper: Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature is 110 degrees

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

borismorris wrote:Unless the "dark blue effort" is going to go cower in the corner of a field somewhere I dont see what they have to do with the RAF centenary. As for Cosford being a tiny airfield... what's that got to do with anything..

If folk didn't want to go to Cosford they wouldn't go- yet there's always a healthy crowd and last years b1/B-52 flybys were something that even the RIAT posse didn't get.

Same old Cosford though eh...:tumbleweed:

You go to Yeovilton and enjoy yourself there.

I will be supporting my local show (as well as RIAT and a few others) and look forward to your next half empty cup cynicism comment.

Lighten up old chap eh! :wink:

Boris,

The airfield back in the early 1960s was discounted as a suitable location for holding one of the then still wide spread At Home Days, its too small, limiting visiting aircraft and lending itself as an operating base for participating aircraft. It has the museum going for it and that is where it seems the current RAF thinking exists, it's seen as having a ready made supply of static aircraft while its limitations ensure a cap on having to accommodate visiting personnel and accommodating lots of visiting aircraft. Therefore the RAF is represented by a constrained event. But that's just my opinion, as I said, the event is unlikely to meet any kind of expectations for something truly impressive and memorable. Again, this is the RAF celebrating being 100 years old and Cosford remains a wholly unsuitable location for not just the Flagship (RIAT isn't the RAF's event, however, much associated they are with it) but the sole Royal Air Force open day. The Belgian Air Force isn't celebrating its 100th this year but they will doubtless put on a far superior event, over two days, in September! :oops:

FB

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

1) We are aware, 2) its not going to change, 3) there really is no point harping on about it anymore.

And relax. :cuppa:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Announcement coming today. I wonder if its the Swiss given RIAT announcement today. However, Hurricane gone from the website line-up.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/cosfordairshow/status/951481798718050304[/tweet]

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

jasonT1981 wrote:Announcement coming today. I wonder if its the Swiss given RIAT announcement today. However, Hurricane gone from the website line-up.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/cosfordairshow/status/951481798718050304[/tweet]

Seems it's a Jet Provost T.3 in Red Pelicans colours. Static.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Flying update tomorrow according to their twitter reply to someone.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/cosfordairshow/status/951484319394123776[/tweet]

Cole

Post by Cole »

FB Not all of us enjoy the GWDT as much as others... But its the RAF100 event and their main aim for the show this year to display the RAF through the years.
And its looking pretty darn good so far. IMO
Dudley, West Midlands

Well Um..

st24

Post by st24 »

[tweet]https://twitter.com/cosfordairshow/status/951508800841936896[/tweet]
Nice, but just not complete - needs the CFS Pelican on the fin and titling on the rear fuselage.

Whilst on the subject of JPs and derivatives - whatever happened to this camo Strikemaster from last year?? :dunno:

PeterR wrote:[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/rafcosfordairshowofficial/photos/a.403200306359458.103082.403139459698876/1353415284671284/?type=3&theater[/fb-post]

st24 wrote:Nice, hope that sexy camo Omani one gets it's full markings! :cool:

Geoff, I visited Mark last week to photograph the two jets together for the first time. He confirmed that full that the new Strikemaster will receive full Sultan of Oman's Air Force colours, as the jet would have worn during it's use in the Battle of Mirbat of which it is a genuine combat veteran.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

ColeTheDemolisher wrote:FB Not all of us enjoy the GWDT as much as others... But its the RAF100 event and their main aim for the show this year to display the RAF through the years.
And its looking pretty darn good so far. IMO

Yeeees, I get that, and I would be appalled if they were missed out, but this looks just the same way Cosford did last year as it started to form, the RAF will be represented after World War 2 by a Typhoon (Highlight of the day) the Red Arrows and the Chinook if you're lucky. Everything else will be civilian operated; GWDT, The Blades, a Jet Provost, perhaps the Canberra if its available, those Gazelles, BBMF, perhaps the Mig 15 and a couple more warbirds and some filler, that will be it. What I doubt will be there 'flying' will be; Hawker Hunter, Tornado, F-35, Hawk T2, A400, Puma HC2, C-17, C-130J, anything from ISTAR and precious little from overseas, if at all and nothing out of the ordinary. There will be an attempt to do a lot on the ground with all the maintenance airframes and museum pieces they can muster. I would be delighted to be proven wrong, absolutely, but I can't see it.

FB

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Not many shows I can think of had the Swiss Pilatus display team last year. Nor the B1. I've never seen Sally B play chicken with a B52 before and the Italian Tornado was many folks star of the show not the Typhoon.

It's easy to slate Cosford, I just don't know why anybody would feel it necessary.