RAF Cosford Air Show 2019 - Sunday 9th June 2019

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
G for George

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2019 - Sunday 9th June 2019

Post by G for George »

Very good show. Loved the Sea Fury (but always do), bit disappointed that the Lanc didn't hang around for long. WWII scenario was nice. Hornet was superb, that and the Gripen putting on much better displays than the Typhoon in my opinion, both punchier, closer and more dynamic. The usual free-for-all to get out, but it only took us 15 minutes which I don't think was too bad considering we left as soon as the Gripen had finished. Thanks to the team for organising a good day.

jules48

Post by jules48 »

A very good show overall.Thought could have mixed it up a bit more with the fast jets instead of having the Typhoon being the only morning slot.The F18 and Gripen knock spots of the Typhoon though.Thought the Alcas were pretty good aswell.

197cup

Post by 197cup »

Just got in from a very enjoyable day, as said above the F-18 and Gripen was superb and the scheme on the Later was lovely. Great to see the German Orion and the ALCAs.
I wish they’d get rid of the orange fencing though sometimes it’s like a maze.

JJC

Post by JJC »

Swiss Hornet absolutely stormed around the sky today, one of the tightest, loudest most aggressive routines I’ve seen in quite some time. Completely stole the show today and I can’t wait to see it again at RIAT.

Czech ALCA pair were superb too, very dynamic and entertaining and the spitfire flypasts were something unique and special.

Czech Gripen its usual excellent self, really using all the height available and in an excellent scheme to boot.

Other highlights were the Hurri/Buchon dogfight, German P-3 and the RAF Tucano flying a punchy, precise routine. It has been much missed and will be again after this season.

Baby Blue were something different and a true enthusiast item even if rather subdued and with such a short display. The ‘waterfall’ in particular was flown impressively tightly and close to the crowd line and the solo displayed some surprisingly sprightly turns.

RAF Typhoon by far the weakest of the fast jets on show. Distant to say the least. One aerobatic type/team would’ve been more than fine. Pitts/DR107/All Stars too much. The show could have used a classic heavy or something with more presence instead of one or two of these (eg. Sally B, Catalina, Dakota or Blenheim).

All in all a brilliant show, well done to the team for organising another excellent show with some exotic/special international participation!

Selection of stalls seem to get worse year on year, very few seemed to have an aviation focus.

Where were all the international items’ tents/tat stalls? Found the Danish and Germans, but couldn’t see any sign of the usual Belgian A109/Czech stalls - did I miss them?
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Post by 106500 »

jules48 wrote:A very good show overall.Thought could have mixed it up a bit more with the fast jets instead of having the Typhoon being the only morning slot.The F-18 and Gripen knock spots of the Typhoon though.Thought the Alcas were pretty good aswell.

Agree - a great show in general although the later conditions were much better for photographers in particular. Sea Fury and F18 won the day for me. Given that the usual mass exodus occurred after the Reds display (there seems no one clear reason why this always happens?) there would be some logic in trying to get more of the ‘star’ acts on in the mornings. I can’t help feeling the punters who left early missed out on some great displays as time went on. Mind you it left more room available for those of us who stayed to the end!

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Many great displays the f-18 was immense but a lot of acts I really liked. Walking half way up the airfield to get around the orange barriers is a pain though and considering it took over 2 hours to get out last year getting out was far easier this year

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

106500 wrote:
jules48 wrote:A very good show overall.Thought could have mixed it up a bit more with the fast jets instead of having the Typhoon being the only morning slot.The F-18 and Gripen knock spots of the Typhoon though.Thought the Alcas were pretty good aswell.

Agree - a great show in general although the later conditions were much better for photographers in particular. Sea Fury and F-18 won the day for me. Given that the usual mass exodus occurred after the Reds display (there seems no one clear reason why this always happens?) there would be some logic in trying to get more of the ‘star’ acts on in the mornings. I can’t help feeling the punters who left early missed out on some great displays as time went on. Mind you it left more room available for those of us who stayed to the end!

I wish I could say I was shocked at the amount of traffic leaving a good 2 hours before the end of the show but like you say for some once they have seen the Red Arrows it’s time to leave even with plenty of great displays items left including for some one of the highlights.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

106500 wrote:

Agree - a great show in general although the later conditions were much better for photographers in particular. Sea Fury and F-18 won the day for me. Given that the usual mass exodus occurred after the Reds display (there seems no one clear reason why this always happens?) there would be some logic in trying to get more of the ‘star’ acts on in the mornings. I can’t help feeling the punters who left early missed out on some great displays as time went on. Mind you it left more room available for those of us who stayed to the end!

I recall reading a published report by the Station Commander at Finningley from 1982, that having experienced a nightmare after the 1981 'At Home' day with the traffic, they arranged, as much as possible, with Leuchars sharing much of the display items of course, so that Finningley could put all the impressive stuff on early in the display in the hope that the "lets go then we've seen the Red Arrows" Brigade would indeed flock to their cars early on and so ease congestion. I recall Cosford always used to put the Red Arrows on last. However, it still perplexes me as well, how so many people are happy to throw away half the flying display or more so long as they see the Red Arrows. Even if the weather nauses up one display and it happens to be them! :cuppa:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I had a brilliant weekend at Cosford. In terms of the actual airshow I can't think of anything to complain about. The flying was varied and interesting - and I think it was timed well in order to encourage people of differing enthusiasms to leave throughout the day whilst still feeling they'd seen a good display.

I agree with everyone that the F-18 was a really outstanding display. In terms of pure display quality I can see this being by far the best display at RIAT. The Gripen was good, but I did actually prefer the Typhoon - I don't really get the disappointment with this display this year as i've really enjoyed it.

Getting out was very difficult as there was very little traffic control in some of the car parks. Those that arrived early were absolutely at a stand still for a very long time. Apart from that - another superb Cosford. If only they'd run it for two days!

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

As far as Cosford events go, this was easily up there with the very best - the flying display varied and interesting; with some real highlights that are seldom seen elsewhere. I came away thinking how much the profile of the event has been raised over the last few years. It doesn't seem all that long ago that an Orion, F-18, Gripen etc would have been no more than fantasy - big credit to the team, who have given a new lease of life to the event at home and abroad.

Keep up the good work. :up:

TornadoAlex

Post by TornadoAlex »

Learnt my lesson from last year this time I left home @ 6.30am and arrived dead on 8am and arrived to... no traffic whatsoever straight in I was laughing could not believe my luck. F18 Mustang and Gripen were my personal highlights even the weather played ball awesome absolutely loved every minute of it.

Leaving the ground... as soon as Gripen finished I speed walked! back to the car threw my stuff in the boot and made for the entrance no traffic whatsoever straight out. What a great show roll on next year

PanaviaTornado

Post by PanaviaTornado »

A strong Cosford for sure. The highlight for me was probably the Sea Fury, just a brilliant display. I cannot agree so much on the F-18 solo however, I've seen the Swiss (and Finns) put on a much more aggressive and 'afterburning solo' than that but I'm thinking Albrighton may have played a part in it. The Typhoon display mostly somewhere over Wolverhampton was rather a disappointment I thought, the capability of this aircraft is immense but it fell way short imho, maybe the season's fuel bill is too restrictive in the current climate but comparing it to how say the French display their Rafales, it just seems consistently quite tame. Given the weather the two days prior, we were lucky to see what we did on Sunday but a good show overall.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

I thought it was another very good Cosford, this show has grown better and better from 2014 onwards.

I love seeing the fast jets at this location, the relitavely small size of the base adds to the wow factor as they perform. The Swiss Hornet was sublime.

The P-3 was a real coup, I've been going regularly to airshows since 1996 and cant remember the last time I saw one display prior to this weekend.

The Czech/Spitfire tribute was beautifully put together, somebody on the team deserves massive credit for seeing such an opportunity, as with Mig/Hurricane last year.

Getting in was an absolute doddle, chose the A41 this year instead of the M54 and was straight in and parked up with ease, my mate unfortunately had to leave shortly after the Typhoon display because of an issue at home with one of his kids, we thought this would be an issue because of were we were parked but massive kudos to the volunteers as they could not do enough to help create space to get him out quickly. I was picked up by the garage on the A41 after the show so cant really comment on getting out but everything seemed to be moving well as I walked out.

Couple of minor negatives, it did go a bit slow paced for a while after the Typhoon display but the last couple of hours more than made up for that. The Danes, while I appreciated the rare factor, were unfortunately a bit dull.

Leaving with a sun burn was a massive bonus after what had happened in the days leading upto the show :lol:

globemaster50

Post by globemaster50 »

JJC wrote:
Selection of stalls seem to get worse year on year, very few seemed to have an aviation focus.

Completely agree with this. There was a time when every other stall in a show would sell model kits but as far as I could see there was one this year! More and more stalls selling crap like the one that was just selling hundreds of coloured phone charging cables!

Oh and Hornet display was the definite highlight of the day for me!

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Well done to all the team involved had a brilliant day yesterday and how lucky were we with the weather rain just avoiding us! Highlights like everyone the F-18 brilliant display, loved the Gripen and its tiger scheme. Also the Orion and Alcas were very nice to see, thought the typhoon was distant and dull compared to the other jet displays. I don't agree with other comments about the Danes first time seeing them and I really enjoyed there display, yes they are not high speed but its precise flyings and wasn't expecting a soloist doing aeros.
Thomas

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

My thoughts on the show.
Overall a very good day out. Getting in was easy, arriving at around 9am from the A5.The queue to go in was only about 10 minutes to the off-site field. The only thing I would say here is that a few more road signs wouldn't go amiss.
We had booked the Cosford Club enclosure and this turned out to be money well spent. Good seats, good view and facilities. I think a few more food options would be good but lots brought their own food anyway.
The static display was in places imaginatively laid out and in most cases well placed for photos.
The flying display was excellent with lots of variety and a good mix of old and new. As many have mentioned, the F-18 was a particular highlight but all of the items were worth seeing.
It looked as if we were going to get soaked a few times but for once the weather gods were in our favour. The lighting was challenging as it always is at Cosford but late in the afternoon it became very favourable.
We left as soon as the Gripen finished and getting out was even easier than getting in. After a short queue of only 10 or minutes we were out and away up the A41. The car park was only about half full by the time we left. Putting the Red Arrows on in mid-afternoon definitely has its advantages.

AFKAMC

Post by AFKAMC »

globemaster50 wrote:
JJC wrote:

Completely agree with this. There was a time when every other stall in a show would sell model kits but as far as I could see there was one this year! More and more stalls selling crap like the one that was just selling hundreds of coloured phone charging cables!

I fully agree with the comments about the lack of aviation-related stalls; as far as I could tell, there was just Mr. Models and one book stall. (To be fair to Cosford, it was similar at RIAT the last time I went, with only Duxford shows seeming to offer a good selection these days.)

That's my only complaint though, everything else was fine, getting in and out was a breeze and the weather was kind. A good, varied display. Stars of the show for me were probably the ALCA's, but there were lots else I liked.

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

TPM, VTTS and VC10 Preservation were all there :up:

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Thank-you all for the comments on here. Reminder that the official feedback survey is still open, and comments warmly welcomed: https://www.cosfordairshow.co.uk/feedback/ :king:

mcfinners reply

Post by mcfinners reply »

no problem peter your team have put on a great show this year( well same as every year really!! :lol: :lol: ) anyway roll on next year :rock: :rock: thanks to all of you

nighthawk999

Post by nighthawk999 »

mcfinners reply wrote:no problem peter your team have put on a great show this year( well same as every year really!! :lol: :lol: ) anyway roll on next year :rock: :rock: thanks to all of you

+1

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Massive well done to Peter and all the team at RAF Cosford.

Superb event and the weather held out too!
I must say RAF Cosford is a brilliant location and feels more intimate than the bigger locations.
The parking on base is a big plus for families - the ability to leave and get stuff from the car without having to walk for a fair distance

A great showcase event for the RAF - as now the only RAF Airshow which the commentary team did stress multiple times

In terms of the flying the change in flying over the last few years can certainly be noticed. This you have the spectacular displays by the Swiss Hornet/ Czech Gripen and L159s/ Belgian A109 but also the ultra rare Danish Baby Blue team and the German Navy Orion.

Good luck for the RAF Cosford Airshow next year - hopefully with even more foreign participation and hopefully more flypasts from RAF aircraft

NavyWingsUK

Post by NavyWingsUK »

We thought you might enjoy Lt Cdr Chris GÖtke's View from the Sea Fury T20 cockpit at RAF Cosford Air Show!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFzmVi-8h_c&fbclid=IwAR26ZjKso6ijHgtBil7f453RFzMVoVRJ9pV3mm0ECCTPXfr23-3gzSdAJjQ
Funded by public donations, Navy Wings maintains & flies & displays historic aircraft navywings.org.uk

Cole

Post by Cole »

Only one complaint from me, No patches from the belgians, swiss or cezch.

Otherwise a great show
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..