Arrivals

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
pete310183

Re: Arrivals

Post by pete310183 »

There was a Czech Gripen up a few moments ago with callsign CF01 so he may have validated, but I left at 4pm so I cannot actually confirm :roll:

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Gripen has not validated.

pete310183

Post by pete310183 »

Oh dear ..... does that mean no display or are there options for in the morning or validate elsewhere etc ?

st24

Post by st24 »

Have any of the foreigners validated??
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

ALCAs, Orion, Swiss F-18 & Belgian A-109 have, yes.

Don't know about the Danish.

TomTwin

Post by TomTwin »

Abbo46 wrote:ALCAs, Orion, Swiss F-18 & Belgian A-109 have, yes.

Don't know about the Danish.

Baby Blue have validated.

No Gripen validation, think he won’t be able to display tomorrow then!

JonG96

Post by JonG96 »

So they can't perform their display just because of some clown thought it would be a good idea to play around with a drone?!

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Can they validate at shawbury Tommorow morning?
Thomas

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Got a feeling quite a few of the static warbirds haven't turned up.

Westhammatt

Post by Westhammatt »

Surely the gripen could validate in the morning at worst at shawbury would be a blow if they lost that display and don’t think the Czechs would be very happy if they don’t

JJC

Post by JJC »

Great shame/massive disappointment if true and the Gripen can’t perform tomorrow.

Hopefully all the stops are pulled out to make it happen if at all possible.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

I’m pretty sure the Gripen doesnt need to validate & is cleared to display.

Any practises today & yesterday were just that, a practise
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

pete310183

Post by pete310183 »

Domvickery wrote:I’m pretty sure the Gripen doesnt need to validate & is cleared to display.

I hope that is the case, that would be fantastic news, was one of the displays I was most looking forward to. I just love the unique sound the Gripen makes.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Just seen this, looks like the “special flypast” could be the PR Spitfire and the ALCA pair. :up:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/brigandcent/status/1137402100357484546[/tweet]
Last edited by Tmyers123 on Sat 08 Jun 2019, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JonG96

Post by JonG96 »

pete310183 wrote:
Domvickery wrote:I’m pretty sure the Gripen doesnt need to validate & is cleared to display.

I hope that is the case, that would be fantastic news, was one of the displays I was most looking forward to. I just love the unique sound the Gripen makes.

Same here, one of the jets I haven't seen before.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

If it needs to validate can it do so before the gates open tomorrow morning?

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

I cant remember what year and I cant remember what aircraft (great detail, I know) but one of the years there was a jet that didn't validate pre-RIAT but still displayed.

The Chinooks validation got scrubbed aswell but possibly works on a different set of rules with it being RAF.

Hopefully everything will be fine with the Gripen as its arguably the star of the show.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

G-CVIX wrote:If it needs to validate can it do so before the gates open tomorrow morning?

No, validations cant be conducted with the public on the airfield, hence why they close Fairford early on the Wednesday (I think)

It’ll be fine, the Danes didnt go up today either

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Danes validated earlier.

Frogfoot

Post by Frogfoot »

If the Swiss F-18 gave a ‘medium show’ for its validation today, does that mean it can’t perform a full display tomorrow?

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Ah right, I was going to come over but the weather in Birmingham didnt really break til 2-3pm & I couldnt be arsed!

I’m still pretty sure it would’ve been pre validated, if it needed to be validated today it would have been

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Frogfoot wrote:If the Swiss F-18 gave a ‘medium show’ for its validation today, does that mean it can’t perform a full display tomorrow?

No, RA2335 is quite clear on these things.... in order to give some clarity to questions/worries.etc…. I quote directly from RA2335

56. Validation. The MAA and/or the FDD can mandate the validation of any display Participant. When the MAA mandates validation, then that validation may take place at any display venue within the same display season and, where a Participant has more than one authorized Display ►Sequence,◄ then validation of any one of the ►Display Sequences◄ is accepted by the MAA as sufficiently appropriate to validate all Display ►Sequences.◄ All validations will be conducted by SQEP ►◄.

a. ►Guidance on Requirement for Validation. The MAA is likely to require validation where an individual Participant is new, they have not displayed in the UK before, or for any formation team with greater than 4 Air Systems. This is guidance only and the MAA may require validation of any foreign military Participant.◄

Are any of the display pilots new this year is the question and if-so have they been pre-validated elsewhere or not by the team. Two things I don't have the answer to.

Andy

JJC

Post by JJC »

boff180 wrote:
Frogfoot wrote:If the Swiss F-18 gave a ‘medium show’ for its validation today, does that mean it can’t perform a full display tomorrow?

No, RA2335 is quite clear on these things.... in order to give some clarity to questions/worries.etc…. I quote directly from RA2335

56. Validation. The MAA and/or the FDD can mandate the validation of any display Participant. When the MAA mandates validation, then that validation may take place at any display venue within the same display season and, where a Participant has more than one authorized Display ►Sequence,◄ then validation of any one of the ►Display Sequences◄ is accepted by the MAA as sufficiently appropriate to validate all Display ►Sequences.◄ All validations will be conducted by SQEP ►◄.

a. ►Guidance on Requirement for Validation. The MAA is likely to require validation where an individual Participant is new, they have not displayed in the UK before, or for any formation team with greater than 4 Air Systems. This is guidance only and the MAA may require validation of any foreign military Participant.◄

Are any of the display pilots new this year is the question and if-so have they been pre-validated elsewhere or not by the team. Two things I don't have the answer to.

Andy

Cpt Kardoš at the helm of the Czech Gripen again this year, his 3rd consecutive year displaying I believe.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Which would mean he displayed at RIAT 17. Hurray!

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

He also then did Yeovilton and riat last year
Thomas