RAF Cosford Air Show 2021 - UPDATE: CANCELLED

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

RAF Cosford Air Show 2021 - UPDATE: CANCELLED

Post by UK Airshow Review »

Dear All,

We have just received the following from RAF Cosford....
RAF COSFORD AIR SHOW 2021 POSTPONED

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 restrictions, and the resulting short-term uncertainty for mass events, the RAF Cosford Air Show team have taken the difficult decision to postpone this year’s event, which was to be held on Sunday 13th June 2021.

Whilst the Air Show Team is disappointed to be in this position once again, they are already reviewing options to create a smaller, socially-distanced event across the weekend of the 11th and 12th September 2021. Further details will be announced through Air Show social media and the Air Show website www.cosfordairshow.co.uk once the position for mass events is clearer.

Air Show Director, Mr Clive Elliott, said, “The health and well-being of our visitors and serving personnel is always our top priority. The team is working hard to develop an event which will include many of the familiar Air Show highlights whilst keeping our visitors safe.”

Customers who have held onto their 2020 tickets can request a refund at www.cosfordairshow.co.uk/tickets or they will remain valid for the next Air Show event.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: RAF Cosford Air Show 2021 - POSTPONED

Post by Tommy »

Big news that it’s the first(?) RAF Cosford Airshow that’s finally gunning for two days, too.

Presumably to spread the crowd out (I’d have thought Cosford wouldn’t be too bad a place for a drive-in format with a reduced crowd), but in any event if it works, it’s easier to make the case for it in the future.

Nice to see an RAF airshow return to the September slot, too.

Witchcraft24

Post by Witchcraft24 »

A busy weekend - same as Sanicole and Villaroche/Melun (and Abingdon).... fingers crossed that we are in a place where all these events can take place.

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Witchcraft24 wrote:
Thu 11 Feb 2021, 2:36 pm
A busy weekend - same as Sanicole and Villaroche/Melun (and Abingdon).... fingers crossed that we are in a place where all these events can take place.
Sanicole already has the Patrouille Suisse, Swiss F18 demo and will get all the Belgian displays ( F16, A109, Red Devils, F16 formation ) but we don't know what the state of vaccinations will be like in Belgium as they are well behind the UK at present so there is no guarantee it will go ahead plus its not the largest of venues....

If RAF Cosford does manage to stage any sort of drive in/socially distant airshow I will be more than happy to go with RAF/ RN/ AAC displays plus UK warbirds and civillian team displays.

for them to attract anything foreign they do need to confirm the dates, but as above I will be happy with anything given the loss of RIAT/ Yeovilton this year so far.

Good luck to the RAF Cosford team - keeping fingers crossed

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Seems encouraging, if June 21st is the date restrictions cease, for a decent Cosford show in September.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

At this stage i'm trying not to get too hopeful about anything, let alone excited - but seeing the Belgian Herc and German Transall special schemes, Cosford could be the only chance to see them at a UK airshow... Crossing everything!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

In case people are wondering about the retirement scheme Transall. Its Ok, but its not a patch on their 55 years aircraft from 2016. I expected more colour on the unit markings to be honest.

https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/schleswi ... tg100.html
"The surrogate voice of st24"

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

I don't get the special scheme thing - 99% of them look complete bobbins (to me!)
Much rather have a standard Squadron aircraft.

That said - looking through oldies shots I do find the special schemes let you date the shows pretty well.

I don't imagine there will be many displays that have been worked up this season (anything UK mil apart from BBMF or Red Arrows?)- which might actually be a good thing - as the net might have to be cast a bit wider to fill a flying program

Mike

Post by Mike »

The RAF Typhoon Display Team are preparing for PDA, and the Tutor team have announced a display pilot for this season.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Mike wrote:
Wed 10 Mar 2021, 8:40 am
and the Tutor team have announced a display pilot for this season.
Oh that's a shame

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Andyph wrote:
Wed 10 Mar 2021, 4:06 am
I don't get the special scheme thing - 99% of them look complete bobbins (to me!)
Each to their own, and what you say was fine when everyone's F-104 or F-5 was in a different colour scheme or pattern to the next one. Even all individual squadrons carried markings so you knew who had what. But when you have a line of unmarked RAF Typhoons, Belgian F-16s or God forbid anybody's flat boring heap of an F-35 to look at, a line of dull grey Hercs or CASAs, anonymous P-3s, a bit of colour to celebrate a squadron anniversary, a type's birthday or a retirement is better than nowt.

Plenty of standard machines to see at the fence on an ordinary day. COVID allowed of course.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Andyph wrote:
Wed 10 Mar 2021, 9:10 am
Mike wrote:
Oh that's a shame
Not really.

Granted, the Tutor isn't exactly a high powered machine but it is a pretty good recruitment display. They play up the 'you will learn to fly in one of these before moving onto other aircraft' card during the display and it is aimed at younger people, who do seem to enjoy it.

It's a decent display too. It's display is not aimed at the likes of us. Nor was it ever intended to.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Wed 10 Mar 2021, 3:44 pm
Andyph wrote:
Wed 10 Mar 2021, 9:10 am
Mike wrote:
Oh that's a shame
Not really.

Granted, the Tutor isn't exactly a high powered machine but it is a pretty good recruitment display. They play up the 'you will learn to fly in one of these before moving onto other aircraft' card during the display and it is aimed at younger people, who do seem to enjoy it.

It's a decent display too. It's display is not aimed at the likes of us. Nor was it ever intended to.
Really - kids are bored senseless and want to see something "exciting' - the Tutor is clearly not!

The philosophy of showing the training route I'd suggest is flawed - I saw Lightning/ Phantoms in the 70s and wanted to fly for the RAF - don't think Chipmunks would have done it for me!

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

capercaillie wrote:
Wed 10 Mar 2021, 9:38 am
Andyph wrote:
Wed 10 Mar 2021, 4:06 am
Each to their own, and what you say was fine when everyone's F-104 or F-5 was in a different colour scheme or pattern to the next one. Even all individual squadrons carried markings so you knew who had what. But when you have a line of unmarked RAF Typhoons, Belgian F-16s or God forbid anybody's flat boring heap of an F-35 to look at, a line of dull grey Hercs or CASAs, anonymous P-3s, a bit of colour to celebrate a squadron anniversary, a type's birthday or a retirement is better than nowt.

Plenty of standard machines to see at the fence on an ordinary day. COVID allowed of course.
I certainly agree with the current drabness compared to classic camo schemes - if only we had a time machine!

But modern 'painted' aircraft look like they have been done by a 7 year old - awful! Truly Bloody Awful!

And looking at that Transall I rest my case!

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Has there been any sort of confirmation that the September date is definite?? Just see TBC on airshow sites.
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

rdchawk wrote:
Tue 23 Mar 2021, 9:30 am
Has there been any sort of confirmation that the September date is definite?? Just see TBC on airshow sites.
Sadly the only thing that is currently definite is that today is Tuesday. But we hope!
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

Well, that does depend on where you are reading this. At the time of writing, it's Wednesday in Auckland 😊

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

You're right, even that isn't definite! :upside_down:
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

stevebrodie

Post by stevebrodie »

Heard on the QT they are planning for a 2 day event with half the number of visitors , will also be no international aircraft/ displays. So they are looking at all Raf and Battle of Britain. They will know in 3-4 weeks whether or not it is gonna happen. They are aiming for august / September

Dont shoot the messenger
Viper: Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature is 110 degrees

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Very much hoping this will go ahead but will be a little annoyed if they don't stick to the dates they originally announced (11th and 12th September) as i've already booked holiday and accomodation.

Totally understand if its cancelled, but why announce dates without committing to them?

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Going by Oldtowers post in Abingdon show, looks like Cosford is the same dates as Abingdon as the 2 shows are working together on possibility of sharing acts etc.
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Red Arrows going to Sanicole sunset airshow on the 10th September joining an array of foreign participation.

Strange that RAF Cosford can't have foreign displays despite UK display teams going abroad?

Could this change as the lockdown restrictions are lifted here in the UK?

Mike

Post by Mike »

BossMann wrote:
Tue 11 May 2021, 2:37 pm
Strange that RAF Cosford can't have foreign displays…
Is there any official confirmation of this, or is this just rumour and hearsay?

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Doubt there will be any reason why foreign aircraft are not being allowed to display at RAF Cosford. More likely that the foreign display pilots get treated better by the team at Sanicole / Klein Brogel than they do at Cosford / Shawbury. It is going to be the choice of the display team / pilot / squadron where they spend their weekends.

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

stevebrodie wrote:
Tue 23 Mar 2021, 1:11 pm
Heard on the QT they are planning for a 2 day event with half the number of visitors , will also be no international aircraft/ displays. So they are looking at all Raf and Battle of Britain. They will know in 3-4 weeks whether or not it is gonna happen. They are aiming for august / September

Dont shoot the messenger
I was going off the above post in terms of the no international displays but nothing on the RAF Cosford website , not even confirmation that the display is going ahead whilst sanicole steams way ahead of the RAFs only official airshow and the UKs largest military airshow in 2021 .... if it happens