RIAT 2020 - CANCELLED

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Post Reply
Airshowhammer

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by Airshowhammer »

Aviation waffle


Woosh.


:roll:

User avatar
jasonT1981
Posts: 733
Joined: Fri 19 Jul 2013, 5:57 pm

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by jasonT1981 »

Airshowhammer wrote:Aviation waffle


Woosh.


:roll:


Are waffles on the hospitality menu?

User avatar
capercaillie
Posts: 7954
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 3:04 pm
Location: Leominster

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by capercaillie »

I have heard the Titanic may make an appearance this year, lets hope it doesn't sink en route. :snack:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

User avatar
CJS
Posts: 7440
Joined: Thu 15 Jul 2010, 3:30 pm
Location: Hogwarts

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by CJS »

capercaillie wrote:I have heard the Titanic may make an appearance this year, lets hope it doesn't sink en route. :snack:


I think you jinxed it Caper, have you not seen today's news :shock:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/1912/a ... ainsection

Terribly sad, RIP everyone :sad:
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

bobby 1211
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu 21 Mar 2019, 5:25 pm

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by bobby 1211 »

maybe we will get the first update today, although I highly doubt it

edhunter
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri 25 Mar 2016, 10:27 am

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by edhunter »

we might be getting something today as they have removed the invited nations icon from the website.

User avatar
rockfordstone
Posts: 879
Joined: Wed 14 Feb 2018, 8:40 pm
Contact:

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by rockfordstone »

i mean it wouldn't surprise me if we got something about the Reds given that they were advertising a competition to see the Reds at RIAT this year on the reds in the USA show last night.

edhunter
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri 25 Mar 2016, 10:27 am

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by edhunter »

rockfordstone wrote:i mean it wouldn't surprise me if we got something about the Reds given that they were advertising a competition to see the Reds at RIAT this year on the reds in the USA show last night.



Would they not wait until they got there pda first?

User avatar
mavvymoo
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu 27 Nov 2014, 6:33 pm

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by mavvymoo »

parsley wrote:Apologies to the last couple of posters..I'll remember for the future this thread is a humour free zone :surrender:

Amen to that. Sometimes humour is frowned upon here :wall:

I'm looking forward to my second year of FRIAT - taking the plunge for the full experience this time and I'm looking to a thoroughly entertaining time. Is RIAT perfect? Not recently no, but I still had a good time once my bottom lipped stopped wobbling in frustration when things went awry.
Famed for appearing to put my foot in it, read my post with the voice of Stewie Griffin if it offended you first time

jules48
Posts: 664
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 6:18 pm

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by jules48 »

Please dont say anything nasty,inflammatory or respond to people who make personal views against you not even having met you or you will be banned and not be able to post anything like I was last year.

User avatar
CJS
Posts: 7440
Joined: Thu 15 Jul 2010, 3:30 pm
Location: Hogwarts

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by CJS »

jules48 wrote:Please dont say anything nasty,inflammatory or respond to people who make personal views against you not even having met you or you will be banned and not be able to post anything like I was last year.


And like you're about to be again :lol:
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

User avatar
jasonT1981
Posts: 733
Joined: Fri 19 Jul 2013, 5:57 pm

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by jasonT1981 »

Just upgraded to Pimms for the Sunday though the menu doesn't really seem to be as good this year. Had a great time there last summer so decided to do it again. Great view of takeoff/landing and start ups.

bobby 1211
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu 21 Mar 2019, 5:25 pm

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by bobby 1211 »

Looks like a slow start this year! Not even the theme or invited nations announced, I am saying we get our first update in February. And just a thought of mine, I would rather have one big monthly update instead of weekly ones.

User avatar
rockfordstone
Posts: 879
Joined: Wed 14 Feb 2018, 8:40 pm
Contact:

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by rockfordstone »

bobby 1211 wrote:Looks like a slow start this year! Not even the theme or invited nations announced, I am saying we get our first update in February. And just a thought of mine, I would rather have one big monthly update instead of weekly ones.

Pretty sure its been public knowledge since last year that the theme was Battle of Britain 80th

User avatar
Spotty_Jag
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri 18 Nov 2016, 8:19 pm

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by Spotty_Jag »

rockfordstone wrote:Pretty sure its been public knowledge since last year that the theme was Battle of Britain 80th

That may be what's been said on the forums, however Battle of Britain 80th Anniversary is not one of RIAT's two key themes for 2020. :pinkwafer:

User avatar
harkins
Posts: 1091
Joined: Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:17 pm
Location: Stockport

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by harkins »

The themes are pretty poorly done these days. When was the last theme that was blatantly obvious when you arrived at the show? Thinking 40 odd Hercs, or a variety of tankers trailing pairs of fast jets or something. This years theme whilst achievable, is likely to result in nothing more than a section of the display involving half a dozen spitfires, a Hurricane and a Buchon or two, which is what Duxford and Old Warden etc do every year anyway. And after all, what else can you do to mark the BoB other than fly marks of Spitfires that weren't involved and 109 knock-offs?

Are there no other themes that involve current military hardware for this year? Maybe the xth anniversary of the Gripen? That'd be exciting! Or following last years wonderful space theme; the somethingth anniversary of the submarine?

("Kris Kris Tofferson!", I said I wouldn't complain or make sarcastic remarks this year. Didn't last long)

User avatar
CJS
Posts: 7440
Joined: Thu 15 Jul 2010, 3:30 pm
Location: Hogwarts

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by CJS »

harkins wrote: And after all, what else can you do to mark the BoB other than fly marks of Spitfires that weren't involved and 109 knock-offs?


Fly P7350 up and down.

All day :love:

harkins wrote: Are there no other themes that involve current military hardware for this year? Maybe the xth anniversary of the Gripen? That'd be exciting! Or following last years wonderful space theme; the somethingth anniversary of the submarine?


66th anniversary of the first flight of a Jet Provost...

245th anniversary of the first military submarine? I like it :grin:

Other ideas:

127th anniversary of the original Ferris Wheel :hide:
32nd anniversary of Alexandra Burke :surrender:
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

User avatar
harkins
Posts: 1091
Joined: Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:17 pm
Location: Stockport

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by harkins »

Can't really argue with P7350. Some other great theme suggestions there too. How about a spectacular event to draw in the families and people who aren't really interested in planes? A stunt that involves Alexander Burke clearing 12 ice cream vans and a Ferris wheel in a Caterham 7 wearing a spacesuit to the sound of the 5th F-16 display of the day?

User avatar
rockfordstone
Posts: 879
Joined: Wed 14 Feb 2018, 8:40 pm
Contact:

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by rockfordstone »

harkins wrote:Can't really argue with P7350. Some other great theme suggestions there too. How about a spectacular event to draw in the families and people who aren't really interested in planes? A stunt that involves Alexander Burke clearing 12 ice cream vans and a Ferris wheel in a Caterham 7 wearing a spacesuit to the sound of the 5th F-16 display of the day?

i bought my tickets in the hope that this may happen. sod the planes, a flying Burke is all i ask

User avatar
capercaillie
Posts: 7954
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 3:04 pm
Location: Leominster

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by capercaillie »

harkins wrote: Maybe the xth anniversary of the Gripen? That'd be exciting!


Mmmmmm (sarcasm, no smiley). Maybe not.

Come and see the incredible static line of three different countries near identical aircraft except for their stencil grey national insignia on the all grey aircraft.

Apologies, the Hungarian one has cancelled after being on the list for a week, but still come and see the incredible static line of two.....you get the picture.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

User avatar
harkins
Posts: 1091
Joined: Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:17 pm
Location: Stockport

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by harkins »

Yep, definitely sarcasm and you've perfectly described the Gripen anniversary static display.

User avatar
Gripenjetphotos
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat 07 May 2016, 6:30 pm

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

capercaillie wrote:
harkins wrote: Maybe the xth anniversary of the Gripen? That'd be exciting!


Mmmmmm (sarcasm, no smiley). Maybe not.

Come and see the incredible static line of three different countries near identical aircraft except for their stencil grey national insignia on the all grey aircraft.

Apologies, the Hungarian one has cancelled after being on the list for a week, but still come and see the incredible static line of two.....you get the picture.



https://images.app.goo.gl/Jz9tRB81u4bEZbVx7
Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

2019 shows:
Old Warden (Season Premiere)
RIAT (Thu, Sat, Mon)

User avatar
JJC
Posts: 2165
Joined: Mon 19 Apr 2010, 7:14 pm
Location: North England

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by JJC »

Latest email from the new CEO

Dear RIAT Supporter,
A belated Happy New Year from all of us here at Douglas Bader House. There are now just 179 days to the start of this summer's Royal International Air Tattoo and the time between now and the airshow will no doubt fly by (excuse the pun). As you know from my previous email, my aim is to keep you updated as to the progress of the show and share with you any changes.
You may not know but the visitor capacity for the airshow is determined by the road network around RAF Fairford and how safely and efficiently we can get traffic in and out of the site. Last year we had some issues that resulted in a slow exit from some car parks on Saturday; we have therefore carried out a full assessment of why this happened and how we could improve this.
The result of this work is that we have increased the width of the gateways and improved the trackway layout in the Blue Car Park. We've also extended the Red Car Park into off-base fields which will significantly increase the capacity and improve the speed of entry and exit. Visitors parking in the Red Car Parks will now find the Customer Entry Point at what was the back of the original car park; so you will now enter the showground next to the Techno Zone. You may remember that this was where the Customer Entry Point was until 2013.
There will be more updates to follow in terms of how events are proceeding for next July and in the meantime, we hope to have our first aircraft confirmations in the near future. You can be assured that this is as important to us as it is to you!
Again, thank you for joining us at RIAT and your continued support.
Kind regards
Paul
RAFCTE Chief Executive


If traffic management is your bag, it’s very, very exciting times.

Can’t wait to stand in even longer queues to get through security due to the ‘increased capacity’ in Red and have an even longer to walk to the crowdline. :yahoo:
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

User avatar
jasonT1981
Posts: 733
Joined: Fri 19 Jul 2013, 5:57 pm

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by jasonT1981 »

BEST UPDATE EVER!!! :rock: :yahoo:

Who'd of thought they could top the grass update? But they did it! :cool:

User avatar
rockfordstone
Posts: 879
Joined: Wed 14 Feb 2018, 8:40 pm
Contact:

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by rockfordstone »

If it means that I don't have to sit in blue for 3 hours again then it's a welcome announcement

Post Reply