RIAT 2021 Participation and Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT 2021 Participation and Discussion Thread

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

I can't see any circumstance where a vaccine, or if I'm honest even a test result, is needed for an outdoor event. The key thing is that the vulnerable in society are vaccinated, and therefore taken out of the sights of the virus. That hugely lessens the risk of the whole thing. Add to that the airfield setting, and basic common sense precautions, and it would seem perfectly feasible to run an event. Its bound to be constrained in some way, and smaller; DBH have said so, but at this stage I don't see any reason why it shouldn't happen if everything progresses as planned.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums

Streffo123

Post by Streffo123 »

At least some people are optimistic, i would hate for the show to not go ahead

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Thing is with RIAT that large numbers of military personell are involved and many of those may be helping with vaccinations? I don't think RIAT will be happerning in any sort of normal way. I think the likes of Shuttleworth, Duxford and some seasinde/smaller shows will go ahead but I think any event of me than 20k will be ano no.

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

It's nearly Mid January, by now I'd have my accommodation booked, tickets bought for Arrivals days and be looking forward to updates on what's due to be there, but I haven't done any of it. Apart from the fact that my business has been hugely affected (try operating a Guesthouse in a Global Pandemic :flushed: ) and I may have a fair bit of catching up to do running the business once we re-open (looking like April at the earliest) I just can't see how enough people in a Global event will be vaccinated. Social distancing might not be a problem on an open airfield, but where will people stay? Hotels will be open, but at vastly reduced occupation levels, to conform with similar guidelines to last August, which I fully expect to still be in place.
I might have to look at this closer to the date as a possible only for this year.

Thinking on. As FRIAT tickets were, I think, sold out for 2020 before Covid struck. Do we know how they will socially distance the FRIAT Stand. Assuming all still have valid tickets, it's either got to get a lot higher or a huge amount wider. Anyone know how wide it is normally? Apologies if this has already been asked but I couldn't find a reference to it :slight_frown:

Pat

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I wonder what proportion of visitors do stay over for RIAT rather than make it a day trip.

Last summer I enjoyed a week's camping and a night in a B&B so - making a fair assumption that things this coming Summer are better still than last, accommodation may not prove to be a problem.

I think something will happen at Fairford in July - and i'm really not sure what it will look like; but frankly, if i'm inside the fence and there's aircraft in the sky I will be absolutely elated.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Because of the hesitancy of some to book accommodation, places that normally are unavailable can still be booked. e.g. some campsites. Of course you take the risk of losing your money if the event is cancelled but it isn't all downside for some.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

verreli wrote:
Wed 13 Jan 2021, 10:27 am
Because of the hesitancy of some to book accommodation, places that normally are unavailable can still be booked. e.g. some campsites. Of course you take the risk of losing your money if the event is cancelled but it isn't all downside for some.
depends on how you book it. i've got a hotel booked, no money has yet been taken and i can cancel up until the night before with no punishment.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

MiG_Eater wrote:
Wed 13 Jan 2021, 9:26 am
I wonder what proportion of visitors do stay over for RIAT rather than make it a day trip.

I'd usually stay over and do at least 2 days of a show. I would stay in Bristol and get the train into Swindon each day. I've found that cheaper than staying in Swindon on RIAT weekend.

15/20 Years ago I would have loved to do the camping. Now, settling into my older age I find myself liking the comfort of a proper bed and room.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Another factor which isn’t so obvious but has been touched on is that are Air Forces going to have the assets to actually send to the show?
This whole pandemic has turned the World on it’s head and each country is dealing with restrictions and financial burdens not seen since WW2!
It’s encouraging to see the USAF still forge ahead with demo teams but will that be the case over here in U.K. and Europe?

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

Pat Murphy wrote:
Tue 12 Jan 2021, 10:48 pm
Do we know how they will socially distance the FRIAT Stand. Assuming all still have valid tickets, it's either got to get a lot higher or a huge amount wider. Anyone know how wide it is normally?
I'm sure it previously been discussed that its impossible to make the grandstand any taller or longer in the current position. I think it would block the view of the runway from the ATC tower? So how will that work?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Grandstands (and indoor areas) are going to be tricky.

An idea I was discussing with some of the staffers the other day was this; If they necessitate a smaller show this year sans the usual FRIAT perks, I’d happily rollover my paid-for 2020 FRIAT ticket into next year, and buy standard admission tickets for whatever event takes place next year.

That way FRIATers/enclosure-goers aren’t feeling a bit short-changed paying for a full FRIAT experience which isn’t able to be provided this year, plus we can then pay for tickets and get some money back into DBH coffers 12 months earlier than we would have. 🤷🏼‍♂️

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Makes sense Tommy,however, RIAT followers will be aware of the trend regarding "added value" re the event. This is indicated by both the public paying an additional fee for access to a restricted enclosures/tents plus the growing sponsored corporate tents (actually, huge pop up villages). These are there to impress clients etc and, by defintion, need face to face time in order to market products and services. Face to face time perhaps not the best phrase to use currently! One can only estimate how the financial figures add up and if these additional sources of fundng are now crucial re the overall spreadsheet.

Ironically, for me personally, going back to "the good old days" of a simpler RIAT would be an improvement.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

pbeardmore wrote:
Thu 14 Jan 2021, 11:54 am
Ironically, for me personally, going back to "the good old days" of a simpler RIAT would be an improvement.
What are you terming as a simpler IAT though? FIAT/FRIAT has been operating since at least 1983, with access to the arrivals and departures being the main selling point as everyone can get in on show days. So that's hardly something new, the good old days certainly covered all the 80s and 90s shows..

The corporate stuff has sprung up more recently and grown almost Farnborough-esque since the turn of the millenium. More annoying for the weekend punters when large areas of grass to the east of the tower is taken up with chalets with numbers of spectators who don't take in all the acts.

Or is a simpler RIAT getting 350 aircraft again and having everyone parking on the airfield and not getting off base until 10pm?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

One further point, is it possble that us lot (or some of us) could be part of the risk? The assertive attempts (and sometmes rudeness) of some has been documented re photographers trying to get the best shot. Sometimes clashing with families who turn up relatively late and squeeze forward so "little Johnie" can get a better view. Can we be trusted to let common sense override our passion for aviation and our enthusiasm to get great photos? I can just visualise the crowd line being the same usual crush.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

verreli

Post by verreli »

pbeardmore wrote:
Thu 14 Jan 2021, 12:54 pm
One further point, is it possble that us lot (or some of us) could be part of the risk? The assertive attempts (and sometmes rudeness) of some has been documented re photographers trying to get the best shot. Sometimes clashing with families who turn up relatively late and squeeze forward so "little Johnie" can get a better view. Can we be trusted to let common sense override our passion for aviation and our enthusiasm to get great photos? I can just visualise the crowd line being the same usual crush.
You could also flip the argument. How much risk are you prepared to take? Is catching Covid-19 acceptable to you if you bag a great shot? Also, once they're in the air, does it really make much difference if you stand 2m further back? As the saying goes, 'you pay your money and take your choice'.

KevinJ

Post by KevinJ »

When a charity cycle ride due for September is cancelled you have to wonder...
https://www.charitytoday.co.uk/the-brit ... e-in-2021/