Accommodation '22

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
iainpeden

Accommodation '22

Post by iainpeden »

I have stayed in the same hotel near Fairford for the last 5 years. I have just contacted them to move my '21 booking (which had already moved from '20) to'22.
It's a very nice hotel and I was ok paying £80 a night; the charge for '22 will be £175. (single room - room only)
Time to start looking for somewhere new I think.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

MiG_Eater

Re: Accommodation '22

Post by MiG_Eater »

Whilst I appreciate its a massive price hike, this industry has been absolutely decimated. If you can afford it, i'd consider trying to stretch to it.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

They also wanted full payment by the end of March this year - I've cancelled and am open to offers of a garden shed within 20 miles!
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

I'm afraid that's likely to be a universal thing across the whole hospitality industry. As Mig_Eater has indicated, they have been hit pretty hard.

G67

Post by G67 »

MiG_Eater wrote:
Wed 03 Mar 2021, 2:54 pm
Whilst I appreciate its a massive price hike, this industry has been absolutely decimated. If you can afford it, i'd consider trying to stretch to it.
Would the hotel offer a discount if you explained you'd been on furlough for a year and couldn't pay the normal rate? "It's been a tough year and I wondered if you'd knock 20% off..." "No sir, the rate is as published".

So why are we expected to show empathy to them but not vice versa?

Nobody is going to be able to climb out of this situation quickly ( except for the big supermarkets I suppose ) and trying to claw back lost revenue in the first year of normality is not going to work.

ikarus

Post by ikarus »

Be interesting to know which Hotel that is that's hiked the price. I used to use the same local hotel each year for about 5 years + then one year they literally doubled the prices to 5 star rates for a 2 star gaff and decided to stay at that level forever - sadly as much as it was convenient and close , elected to use alternatives further out . Talk about no loyalty for regulars.... sadly a sign of the times. CV19 is going to mean more rip offs going forward.

Did they offer a cancellation policy at those prices - if CV19 is still impacting in 2022 by any chance ?? Not to bad if you need to commit early.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Try camping, I’ve used the official campsite for the last 3-4 years for the whole RIAT week which was less than the cost of a single night at a hotel
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Plenty campsites about if you can hack it. You would get a pitch in most if you booked early enough apart from Totterdown.

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

We tend to do self-catering. Lots of lovely cottages/apartments to rent in and around the area, and for us it works out cheaper than hotels, and with a lot more space.

katio3

Post by katio3 »

play it cool wrote:
Sun 04 Apr 2021, 12:52 pm
We tend to do self-catering. Lots of lovely cottages/apartments to rent in and around the area, and for us it works out cheaper than hotels, and with a lot more space.
Thanks for the tip , play it cool, I've just booked a great wee cottage in Lechlade with lots of play stuff for the grandson. We were originally booked in the Travelodge up at Burford for 2020 This cottage will be so much better x