Star of the show

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Skylinerworld

Re: Star of the show

Post by Skylinerworld »

Well I missed the first few acts, but I must admit the traffic for us was alot better than the last few years. From what we did see, think it's fair to say the Vulcan and NZ B757 were the highlights just because they're so different to your typical airshow act. :smile:

Regards,
Matt.

raiford

Post by raiford »

The Rafale was a fantastic performance, as was the Spanish Hornet with that Vrrooooooom at the end, but the Swiss Hornet was incredible as always :clap: , Typhoon was great and must have been the noisiest :drool:, the Gripen was a little hotrod as usual, just love 'em :clap:, wonderful to hear that Vulcan howl a couple of times and yes the 757 looked lovely against the black sky but with the sun shining on her. There were some lovelies in the static, the Algerian C-130 has to be the most important highlight and the A-10's were a nice surprise, the French Navy Lynx was a little beauty and the Sea King line was very nice. The Mirage F.1CR's of course always a favourite of mine. The smaller numbers in the static display made the show more manageable in one day, we had finished photographing all the static by 4.30pm, and that was with a slow walk around and stopping quite often for long periods for a flying item, we had a great day out and the weather behaved admirably, plenty of sun but more grey stuff late afternoon, most importantly no rain :cool:, I came home feeling very happy and satisfied with RIAT '09, an excellent show once again.

Only two small quibbles, the Edwards KC-135 being parked far away on the Northside, I know it was a VIP visitor but you know what I mean, and the Sea Vixen, any higher and it would have docked with the ISS, thats all that I found annoying. Now we can all look forward to next year! :clap:

robtheplod

Post by robtheplod »

Well, all can say is wow, what a day for Saturday. I had been worried by the lack of American's this year (only a single B52), but to be honest they were not noticed as the lineup and standard was much better than previous years - our european partners more than made up for it with their excellent flying skills, flying their American built planes probably better and more excitingly than the Americans!!

The weather was excellent, with great dark cloud backdrops, but without the rain, the displays were smooth flowing with no real gaps (downside is I did'nt go to the loo all day as a result!).

The stars of the show were of course the Vulcan with it's earie howling, the Eurofighter knocks spots of the other jets and the Reds made UK PLC proud. All displays were excellent - I can't fault any but the big surprise is RIAT 2009 was the year of the exciting helicopter display (at last!) - the Navy turnout was amazing to see with 12 synced helicopers hovvering over the runway to be passed at high speed by the two harriers!! - made up for the missing RAF role demo this year..

I love listening to the italian commentator when freece tricola were flying - such a great enthusiatic fellow!!

One comment is the toilets - they were quite difficult to find in the large crowds and they were not on the signposts dotted about the base??
Well done RIAT - I was critical beforehand, but I have to take it all back - you knocked spots off all the other airshows to date this season!!

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

[quote="robtheplod"]Well, all can say is wow, what a day for Saturday. I had been worried by the lack of American's this year (only a single B52), but to be honest they were not noticed as the lineup and standard was much better than previous years - our european partners more than made up for it with their excellent flying skills, flying their American built planes probably better and more excitingly than the Americans!!

The weather was excellent, with great dark cloud backdrops, but without the rain, the displays were smooth flowing with no real gaps (downside is I did'nt go to the loo all day as a result!).

Guess that might have been the 'lightest' participation from the US in the flying programme since 1993? (just an Apache helicopter that year - although many rate that show as one of the best). Which is a bit worrying, although it was great to see the B-52H airborne again - would have been nice if a B-1B had accompanied it into the air.

I went for a 9.30am loo visit then 'held on' until the RAF Hawk solo came on (well one display had to be sacrificed!). That was like Tattoos of old - no gaps in the flying at all other than right at the end. It was a pity that lowish cloud drifted across when it did, providing the only gap and prevented the Frecce Tricolori, at the conclusion of their display, doing their..all head for each other crossover!

tomw94

Post by tomw94 »

the U.S i thought perticipated very well with the statics. there was even 2 A-10s which i was npot expecting. the vrooooommm of that spanish f-18 was super and when it had the full vapour cone round it.

knoxy74

Post by knoxy74 »

The hungarian grippen low take off was awsome. typhoon display was full of energy , looks better than the rafale i think although it did perform a high energy display. great full flying display all round though well done riat

Danny

Post by Danny »

The Swiss Hornet and RNLAF F-16 were great as always. The Spanish Hornet's high alpha was fantastic. :biggrin:
"Can you believe it? Chelsea will just not let go in the Champions League!"

pb643

Post by pb643 »

My opinion:

Very nice to see the F18's, Grippens and Raphael. Missed not seeing a C17 display, far too long since I have seen one.

Overall an excellent airshow....for any where other than RIAT, the first time in twenty odd years where there has not been a single new item, with the execption of the Algerian C130.

There has always been at least one item that it has been worth travelling alone to see.

Don't get me wrong, I had a thoroughly enjoyable day, but just not up to RIAT usual standards.

I do wonder if this was why there seemed to be very few foriegn visitors compared with previous years.

To answer the topic question: Swiss F18 again!

Edit: Sorry forgot the C27, an excellent display!!

Phil
Last edited by pb643 on Sun 19 Jul 2009, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robt

Post by robt »

Have to agree with Phil. Good show, enjoyed it a lot (on Saturday), but there seemed to be something lacking in the flying schedule (as well as much less static). No F-15, no A-10, no B-1, no Stealth, not much from the Harriers, and it's years since I've seen a Phantom flying at a show. I remember those fantastic Phantom displays of the 70s. We get one over here from Greece, and it just sits in the static. Even the B-52 seemed much quieter and low-key than normal when flying past. I could think of many aircraft I'd rather have been watching than the Valley Hawk towards the end of the day. Enjoyed the helicopter displays more than usual, though, this year. 757 was excellent as well.

Good display from the Italian team to wrap up the show.

awesom_o

Post by awesom_o »

Have to say my favourite bit was when the F18 (I think it was the Spanish one) did that really fast pass. The noise was incredible. The 757 and the C27 were also great.

Can't really comment on the full Vulcan display. I was distracted by a white Egret flying over the Jubilee gardens so missed some of it.

Senna_S

Post by Senna_S »

Enjoyed the show today (Sun).
Favourites were:
Vulcan - great to see it again after so many years - she was really being chucked around.
B52 - Had lots of fuel to burn so we were treated to 4 (I think) fly-pasts - one fast one and one banked turn from the 45 degree line - never seen that before!
Typhoon - Amazing - best of the fast jets.
Rafale - A close second.
Hungarian Gripen - Better than the Swedish one imho - lots of rolls.
Chinook - The wifes favourite, but brilliant all the same :wink:
Minor moan - would have liked a bit more variety to be honest - 3 Hornets, 2 Gripens, lots of hawks! Shame there wasn't any displays from Harrier/Tornado/F15/A10/B1 etc..
Thanks,
Simon.

simon

Post by simon »

Sunday
You have to throw the torrential rain in the equation, and well done to all the pilots for brilliant flying in difficully conditions.

1 Vulcan and B52.
2 Grippen (Hungarian)
3 Chinock
4 757
5 Typhoon.

( Team Guinot. nead a mention those girls must have been bloody soaked.)

Father Ted

Post by Father Ted »

Sunday

1) Vulcan
2) RNZAF 757 ( and I'm sick of the sight of them at work )
3) B52 & Vulcan/Buff taxi past
4) C27
Last edited by Father Ted on Sun 19 Jul 2009, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AMB

Post by AMB »

Sunday morning in torrential rain and low cloud seeing the Italian C-27J Spartan doing near loops, rollls and bunts, followed by a 90 degree knife edge pass down the crowdline...I really thought he was going in! :shock: Incredible piece of flying!
Adrian

Alistair

Post by Alistair »

For me at the FRIAT enclosure on Saturday, the Spanish F18 was the star of the show, a superb high speed pass at the end. Today, on Totterdown (I really couldn't be bothered with FRIAT today) the Dutch F16 ruled by quite some margin.

Sorry to say it but while it's good to see the Vulcan flying again, and having seen it quite alot this season, it's display was merely passable.

PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Sorry to say it but while it's good to see the Vulcan flying again, and having seen it quite alot this season, it's display was merely passable.

:shock:
Uh?

Today's take off was fantastic. Much better than Saturday's.

Alistair

Post by Alistair »

I agree, the take off today was fantastic. :smile:

globemaster50

Post by globemaster50 »

PaulB wrote:

Uh?

Have to agree - the take off was stunning. What an incredible angle of bank on the turn following take off :clap:

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

globemaster50 wrote:
PaulB wrote:

Uh?

Have to agree - the take off was stunning. What an incredible angle of bank on the turn following take off :clap:

Indeed. Saw it take off from Totterdown and couldn't believe it. Must have been over 90 degrees of bank...or did it just look different from where I was?

pako-2008

Post by pako-2008 »

Today what sticks in mind is the hungarian gripen. After somebody mentioned this last night and i missed it yesterday, the flames it produced as a mini dump and burn were awesome, saw it twice today and given the conditions the whole display it flew deserves a lot of credit.
Secondly the vulcan, that take off was something else.
Aaron
Cheers
Aaron

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Kieran wrote:Must have been over 90 degrees of bank...or did it just look different from where I was?

110 degrees according to the man in the commentary box, via text message! :shock: :shock: :shock:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

PaulB

Post by PaulB »

according to the man in the commentary box,

ah what does he know. :biggrin:

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

For me seeing the first fast pass by the buff with bomb bay doors stood out for me, then my first full vulcan display blew mine and my dads socks off sheer brilliance and that take off.... :shock:
then hungarian gripen (missed the swedish, bloody traffic) and the rafale and swedish hornet (missed the spanish, bloody traffic)
I missed the dutch f-16 (bloody traffic) then i missed the chinook (bloody traffic)
Oh and did i mention the bloody traffic?
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Must say my highlight of today in particular was the low pass of the B-52 over Totterdown :biggrin:

Fan-bloody-tastic!!

luke

Post by luke »

No.1 for me had to be the Vulcan. Although I missed what was apparently a superb take off today, the overall display yesterday was amazing. It's the first time I'd seen it fly and had no idea it could be thrown around like that.