Traffic - A word of warning

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Traffic - A word of warning

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

For anyone planning a day trip tomorrow, get there as early as possible - traffic was a nightmare today. As bad as it was back in 2002.

We arrived on the red route at bright and early at 8am. We than sat in a jam for two hours and didn't get on base until after flying had started. Took about an hour to get from the Shell garage to the gate.

Traffic was just as bad on the way out - we left it late and didn't leave until almost 7pm, but it took us an hour and 20 minutes to get four miles away. Only just got home 15 minutes a go.

No idea what was going on, but the traffic was awful and the airshow radio people were useless, insisting there were no problems and everything was flowing. It wasn't.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

craigus78

Re: Traffic - A word of warning

Post by craigus78 »

Blue route was bad

Spent 2 hours in traffic and was only about 10 miles from the base

I drove up from Essex and I would say leave at 5am to avoid missing the start of the show

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Agreed.

Dreadfull, yet it did' t seem to be down to the quantity of traffic.

Things were just not working.

Also long queue to cross the road!!

And long walk before getting to security and tickets.

Phil

jetwash

Post by jetwash »

Sorry to hear about your traffic problems! I got to Burford by about 7:30am on red route and was in at around 8:10am, on base parking. We got in the car as the Frecce took off and there was no queue to leave the base and going out the surrounding area was only minor tail backs. On the commentary they kept mentioning the people stuck in the queues. Out of interest, what did you miss?
Over enthusiastic aviation enthusiast!

PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I got on to the red field at about 7:15 after taking 20 minutes from the garage.
Getting out took about 30-40 minutes from the red field to Lechlade.
Seems a lot worse this year.
Part of the problem on the red route way in is that 2 lanes merged into 1 by the right turn to Fairford village.
That was a bottleneck this morning.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

jetwash wrote:Out of interest, what did you miss?

Spanish Hornet, C-27 and Rafale.

PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Disaster!
You missed 3 off the best bits!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

LOL, thanks for that Paul! :grin: :sad:

Grabbed one or two iffy Rafale shots as we were making our way towards the KC-10. Will look at them tomorrow - off to bed next. Been up since 4am! :sleepy:

Edited to say I missed the Apache too, which is one of my favs! :mad:

jetwash

Post by jetwash »

PaulB wrote:Disaster!
You missed 3 off the best bits!

Sorry, but got to agree, you missed out. You going tomorrow?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

jetwash wrote:You going tomorrow?

Me? No. Just got back to Essex when I posted this thread.

TonyO

Post by TonyO »

Sorry to hear about your issues getting out, I obviously don't speak for RIAT, but bear in mind, we had a sell-out crowd today, plus the new on-airfield parking plan was put into action for the first time ever on a public day, so there are bound to be some teething problems. Certainly on the Blue Route, I understand there had been a car accident which caused some issues mid-way into the morning...
Do you want the Aladeen news or the Aladeen news?

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

The other option is to catch the bus...great service, no traffic and closer to the entrance than the off base car parks :) (+ if you haven't got your ticket yet they were selling them at Swindon bus station :P)

.mic
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?

jetwash

Post by jetwash »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
jetwash wrote:You going tomorrow?

Me? No. Just got back to Essex when I posted this thread.

Shame you cant catch up on todays lost items, especially the EF-18 fast pass!

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

I went on the Green route via Cirencester. Got parked up without much of a traffic problem about 7.15, and then joined the queue to get in as the gates don't open until 7.30. I estimate we queued for about a mile around the car park, then across the lane and onto the base and then all the way to the security check. Got on base about 8.30. Interstingly, we were sent in from the northern side, across the runway then back off the base into the field. Not done that before.

Getting out was a bit of a nightmare. Got to the car before the Typhoon, and nothing moved for about an hour. Following a bit of jigerrypokery, I manged to get moving by going the wrong way, but after that it was reasonably free-flowing. Police and "marshalls" about as much use as the proverbial chocolate teapot.

Does anyone know how it went with the "no tickets on the gate" policy. I saw a number of signs on the road, but the bloke next to me in queue had no idea what I was talking about. I don't know if he managed to buy a ticket as we split up into different lanes at the security check.

BTW, I thoroughly enjoyed the day :yahoo: Haven't even looked at any of the 2000 pics yet. A job for another day!

Andy :smile:

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Travel reporter was cr@p. I do full time community radio and on our station anyone doing travel that badly would be taken aside and given training on how to speak and read.

I left Essex this morning at 4:45am as I feared it would be a nightmare.

I got on base at about 8:15am.

There was about a 30 min queue from the A419 to the parking, then the usual security.. They could have done with more e-ticket booths as it took an age to get through.

Getting out wasn't too bad from the Blue car park. I left about 6:30 - 7ish and got home at 9:45-10pm. I'm beginning to lose track of time now, I think it is time for bed. :sleepy:

sideeffectwhu

Post by sideeffectwhu »

We left Harold Wood, Essex at 4.47 pm to get the 6.30 from Paddington. Everything was going fine and we get a signal failure at Farringdon that delayed us by enough time to miss our paddington connection which was a saver ticket. But fair play to the ticket office at paddington as the let us get on the next train without charging us any extra. Have only just arrived back due to problems at Liverpool Streeet. The olympics are going to be a diasster

Richard E

Post by Richard E »

Traffic - I was lucky enough to have a clear run in and out from the Red car park

pb643 wrote:Also long queue to cross the road!!

Yes, crossing the roads did seem to take much longer although there was no obvious reason why.

pb643 wrote:And long walk before getting to security and tickets.

I can't see why that was moved although if it was in it's normal location by the fence we'd probably be commenting on longer queues in the car park and the long walk onto the base itself. Whilst this isn't a criticism of the on-site parking system, one thing that did seem slightly "unfair" was that we'd been queuing for about an hour to get to the entry gate when the first cars were allowed into the on-base car park and their occupants then simply strolled straight up to the entrance.

Blackbird wrote:Does anyone know how it went with the "no tickets on the gate" policy. I saw a number of signs on the road, but the bloke next to me in queue had no idea what I was talking about. I don't know if he managed to buy a ticket as we split up into different lanes at the security check.

A French registered car parked next to me and its occupants asked me where they could buy the advance tickets from, after I'd patiently explained three or four times that they wouldn't be able to buy them on the day, so unless they found someone with unwanted tickets they couldn't get in. Apparently this was my problem and I should have done something to help them :roll:

doigal

Post by doigal »

Blue route was horrible in, took well over 90 minutes to get in from about 10 miles out, joined the back of the queue at about 745am, thankfully didnt miss much of the flying. Sent down the alternate route as well, dont know what it was like on the 'main' route.

Also, the RIAT radio needs to learn that its not a music broadcaster, its there to do information on the airshow. In that whole 90 mins, there were 3 traffic announcements in total, none of them telling me anything useful.

mattlaker

Post by mattlaker »

We had no real problems getting in, but due to sheer volume of punters, it was pretty busy when we arrived at about 7- we had to queue in a different postcode! The real problems were around getting out- the usual bunfight to get to the exit, and people barging in left right and centre. Also, by being there earlyish, we were closer to the main gate, so consequently, all those who arrived after us were closer to the exit, meaning we didn't move for a long time. This morning, we left at 4am, and arrived at 7 with a couple of stops for petrol, urination etc... On exiting, we made less stops (only one, as my leg was aching from the continual use of the clutch, for about 2 hours solid) and we got back just over 5 hours from getting to the car. I think we saw about 3 stewards in the car park- one was waving two lanes of traffic through at the same time, and the others were chatting, and by their hand gestures, i am not sure it was about parking... once we got back to the main road, it was ok...

All i'd say is if you get there early, don't make plans for your evening... It was almost as bad as Sunday's Biggin, and i don't think the blame can rest squarely on 'The Vulcan Effect'.

EDIT- oh, and if you were the guy in the Gold coloured Vectra, who do you think you are, and what makes you so important that you have the right to leave before everyone else? We certainly weren't feeling the love in the room, nor were the people in the red civic, or the dark red chelsea tractor...
Matt hates Photo Etch as of today

Manonthefence

Post by Manonthefence »

Andy

Purple Route is closed to all but Purple Pass holders and residents after 6am

Dan

8am is not bright and early for RIAT

simonp

Post by simonp »

Have to agree about the traffic - was horrendous.

Left Bristol at 6.30am - didn't get into base until 9.30am :(

Traffic was queueing on the Brown Route through Latton? and the slowing all the way in. Was pleased to see motorbikes whizzing around with 'riat traffic management' on but not sure what they could do due to the volume of cars.

Agree about the useless woman on traffic reports. All she kept saying was everything was fine but close up the gaps - which was rubbish as I'd been sat in traffic for an hour at this point. Plus, there were only two traffic reports in the 1.5 hours I was listening to the radio. (Although to be fair, not really sure what else she could do except say it's hell out there as you were best sticking to the routes!)

Very sadly (but probably rightly) I left at 3.30pm to avoid a horrible journey home. It worked - I was straight out and home in under an hour but of course I missed so many of the things I really wanted to see :(

raiford

Post by raiford »

Yesterday we left home in Worcester at about 7.20am, joined a slow moving queue at the Cirencester exit on the A417 on the green route, once past that junction traffic moved freely until a few miles from the base then slower queues, drove onto the base at 9.30, it is RIAT and everyone should expect a large amount of traffic. Had a fantastic day, weather was extremely kind and got back to the car at 6.15pm, drove out at 6.30 then had slow queues for a few miles then free moving, not a problem at all given the amount of traffic, as can be expected at RIAT, got home at 8.30pm feeling very satisfied with the whole day.

Glenn Beasley

Post by Glenn Beasley »

Feared the worst when we came to a halt trying to get off the A417 on the green route at just before 8am. Crawled all the way in for an hour and missed the Spanish Hornet as a result. Getting out was OK after 7pm.

Mr T

Post by Mr T »

Just sitting in the car at Totterdown listening to Airshow Live (??) and the scanner at the same time. Traffic on the radio is apparently running fine, according to the traffic guys on the scanner the Blue route is already queuing back onto the A419. Both of these were heard within 2 minutes of each other :confused: :confused: :confused:

raiford

Post by raiford »

apparently the traffic was queued for a mile and a half yesterday morning on the A417, we joined the queue only about 200yards from the slip road, but as we were approaching the base just after 9 it was said on the traffic update that it had cleared.