Public grandstand and FRIAT grandstand

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
henk99

Public grandstand and FRIAT grandstand

Post by henk99 »

This year was the first time I went to the RIAT and I was there both Saturday and Sunday. As I didn't know what to expect, I bought tickets for both days obviously plus a ticket for the public grandstand on Sunday.
I have to be honest that I hadn't looked good enough as I thought I had bought a ticket for the grandstand at the center of the display. Later I found out that it was the FRIAT grandstand, so that was a bit of a bummer, as the public grandstand is too far away in my point of view.

Anyway, on Sunday I arrived there and went in with my camera bag. The first thing I noticed was how cramped the space was. There were not a lot of people there yet so I unpacked my camera and checked out my movement when actually shooting. During that time, my 'neighbors' arrived and I was immediately confronted with the limited space I had. I am not particular small or big, but my neighbor was rather big.
I sat there for 5 minutes in this cramped position and packed my gear and left. There was no way I could do some normal shooting there! I didn't come back the entire day, so that was money well spent :grin:

I don't know if I'm sounding spoiled or not, but to me that was not worth the money. My big wonder now is if the FRIAT grandstand is the same. I was really considering ordering that for next year, but now I'm in doubt. I'm sure a lot of people here were on the FRIAT stand and can perhaps tell me if it's worth the money. And also important, if it is as cramped as the public grandstand!

Thanks in advance for you views on this.
| Frysian Flag 2020 | Erlanger Bergkirchweih | RIAT 2020 | Sanicole 2020

Bandit01

Re: Public grandstand and FRIAT grandstand

Post by Bandit01 »

It's surely worth the money, Normally the stand is never packed. Maybe the monday is the busiest day. Go for FRIAT you can't be wrong :yahoo: :yahoo:
Once a sheep always a sheep....

8TH FS
49TH FW
Holloman AFB, New Mexico

Visit us @ www.bandit-shirts.be

habu21

Post by habu21 »

The FRIAT grandstand does get a bit cramped at first but as everyone settles down into the show thay always seem to spread about a bit and give eachother some sensable panning room.

A good way to guarantee this, is to buy three seats and sit in the middle ...... :grin:

henk99

Post by henk99 »

habu21 wrote:A good way to guarantee this, is to buy three seats and sit in the middle ...... :grin:

:lol:
| Frysian Flag 2020 | Erlanger Bergkirchweih | RIAT 2020 | Sanicole 2020

Beefsteak

Post by Beefsteak »

I too was disgusted (May be too strong a word) with the view and crammped conditions in the grand stand, no where near the centre of the flight line , and given that there was a good 150 yards to the FRIAT there was plenty of room to move it up!!
Also I gashed my arm open whilst crammed up against the side fencing (I had asked for an aisle seat and got given the wrong end of the row!!)
Next year it's FRIAT or Nowt

The grandstand at Waddo was much much better.

jwarnerxh558

Post by jwarnerxh558 »

I first went into the FRIAT stand last year and did find it a bit cramped, but you get used to it because the people around you pan with you so they dont really get in the way.
Failing this the FRIAT stand has a bit of space in front, if you want take your own chair.
I must say I was lucky this year (or i smelled lol!) because nearly the whole row I was on was empty so we had loads of room!!!!! :yahoo: :rock:
FRIAT well worth the money!!!
Bring on RIAT 2010!!!! :vulcan:
Last edited by Harlequin67 on Sun 02 Aug 2009, 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Grammar corrected.