How will you be enjoying the show?

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
DonH

Re: How will you be enjoying the show?

Post by DonH »

Ferry into Fishguard on Weds. Weds-Mon at Flyby or Kempsford. Saturday and Sunday in showground. Watch departures on Monday, overnight in Wales. Depart Fishguard on Tues. Counting down the hours.. :smile:
DonH

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Aviation Club - Saturday and Sunday.

rmontagna

Post by rmontagna »

Hi, I will fly from Pisa to LGW Friday. then train to Reading and change for Swindon. Saturday and Sunday (FRIAT MACH2) I will use the shuttle bus. Monday for departures come in the taxi and walk. Tuesday will return to Pisa.

danflyer

Post by danflyer »

Leaving south Essex early Sunday morning with a group of Air cadets..... 3rd year of going to RIAT, all enjoy the day - but we have very tired Cadets once we get home late Sunday Evening!

Manxman

Post by Manxman »

Leaving the island for Waddo and Legends this Friday, arriving at Fairford some time next Friday, then both show days and departures day, leaving at about 2pm to head towards Manchester, then back home on the 2:15am boat from Heysham!
David K- Manx spotter

fairford_fan

Post by fairford_fan »

By spending hours looking on this forum wishing I had gone

:wall:

poopsie

Post by poopsie »

By coach from belgium arriving on satruday morning and leaving after the show.
Belgian Waffle

Hammerhead

Post by Hammerhead »

Three of us will be on the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead on Wednesday then on to my sisters place near Stroud, P&V Thursday and Firday, Show on Saturday/Sunday... Back by ferry on the Monday for weeks of sorting through pics... :yahoo:

DonBonzo

Post by DonBonzo »

Current plan is to drive down from Yorkshire 'very' early on Thursday, camping at Flyby for the duration.

Spare seat in van available if anyone's intrerested....

Thursday at the campsite/east P&V, but into FRIAT late pm for the walkabout photo tour. Two days out of Fri-Sun in the FRIAT enclosure, but I'll spend one of the display days at the campsite/end of runway for different views. Monday back into FRIAT for departures, leave around 1-2ish probably, home in time for dinner & drinks.
Never trust a skinny chef.
Youth and experience are no match for age and treachery.

fairford_fan

Post by fairford_fan »

****UPDATE****

Now allowed a day out on Saturday - 2 e-tickets purchased

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

JackyRIATWilson

Post by JackyRIATWilson »

fairford_fan wrote:****UPDATE****

Now allowed a day out on Saturday - 2 e-tickets purchased

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Glad to see you can make it pal! More the merrier!

chris1978uk

Post by chris1978uk »

After the 7:30 ferry from Belfast on Thursday, we should be getting to Kempsford camping mid/late afternoon, hopefully early enough to see some arrivals/rehearsals while putting up the tent before dandering over to drain George's supply of traditional ciders (hoping he has the raspberry one again!).

Lazy day at the campsite on Friday, then Saturday and Sunday in the show for me and mum, Sunday only for the other half. Monday we pack up the tent while wathcing the departures and head off around lunchtime to get to Brighton and spend time with family for the week, then a couple of nights somewhere north of Manchester to break up the journey home (York this year).

Both show days are pretty much the same... Get set up at our spot, walk round the static (one half each day), then back to our seats before flying starts. I use any flying displays i'm not interested in as a chance to go back to stalls or statics that I want to look have a closer look at, or have a nap if I've seen everything I want to!

When the rules changed we had to choose between windbreak and crowdline, and the windbreak won, so now we've found a new-favourite spot, slightly evelated, near display centre. Since we're now well back from the crowdline and not in anyones view, the low windbreak has been exchanged for a beach shelter, which was great with last years rain (of course it'll be beautifully sunny this year! :-X ). Not going for the crowdline also means we dont need to be up quite so early anymore and we wait until the queue has died down so we can walk straight in (after a bacon butty at the campsite!).

Whether its hot sunshine or torrential rain, the walk back to Kempsford somehow always seems twice as long in the evening and we're ready to collapse by the time we reach the tent. More cider makes it all better though!
Canon EOS-450D
Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS
Canon EF 70-300mm IS USM
Sigma 18-250mm OS HSM

henk99

Post by henk99 »

chris1978uk wrote:After the 7:30 ferry from Belfast on Thursday, we should be getting to Kempsford camping mid/late afternoon, hopefully early enough to see some arrivals/rehearsals while putting up the tent before dandering over to drain George's supply of traditional ciders (hoping he has the raspberry one again!).

Lazy day at the campsite on Friday, then Saturday and Sunday in the show for me and mum, Sunday only for the other half. Monday we pack up the tent while wathcing the departures and head off around lunchtime to get to Brighton and spend time with family for the week, then a couple of nights somewhere north of Manchester to break up the journey home (York this year).

Both show days are pretty much the same... Get set up at our spot, walk round the static (one half each day), then back to our seats before flying starts. I use any flying displays i'm not interested in as a chance to go back to stalls or statics that I want to look have a closer look at, or have a nap if I've seen everything I want to!

When the rules changed we had to choose between windbreak and crowdline, and the windbreak won, so now we've found a new-favourite spot, slightly evelated, near display centre. Since we're now well back from the crowdline and not in anyones view, the low windbreak has been exchanged for a beach shelter, which was great with last years rain (of course it'll be beautifully sunny this year! :-X ). Not going for the crowdline also means we dont need to be up quite so early anymore and we wait until the queue has died down so we can walk straight in (after a bacon butty at the campsite!).

Whether its hot sunshine or torrential rain, the walk back to Kempsford somehow always seems twice as long in the evening and we're ready to collapse by the time we reach the tent. More cider makes it all better though!

Thanks for sharing. It was fun reading it. I think it's because I'm really looking forward, now that it is only a week away (for me at least).
| Erlanger Bergkirchweih | RIAT 2023 | Belgian Airforce Days 2023 | Frysian Flag 2023

freonwarrior

Post by freonwarrior »

Now the Trenchard chalet on Friday with Hyundai UK, Aviation Club Saturday.

CJS

Post by CJS »

I drive from Yate just north of Bristol. It takes 45 minutes to get about 2km from Fairford then about an hour to do the last bit! Always got Airtattoo FM for company though :music: !! Couple of years ago I left a little later (normally aim to get there for about 7.30am) and got stuck in traffic - watched the A400M display over treetops from the car :sad: Won't be making that mistake again :smile:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Early start Friday morning from Dudley,set up tent at Flyby for Friday's arrivals/practices.Pub in Fairford Fri and Sat night.Saturday in the show and either Totterdown or Rhymes for Sunday.Home after Sunday's show.What is Flyby like for watching Friday's practices?I bet they don't fly as close as Totterdown or Rhymes do they?but still a decent view?

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Pimms enclosure. £40 to be away from jerks with ladders, private toilets, lunch included and a private area with plenty of space.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Traveller wrote:Pimms enclosure. £40 to be away from jerks with ladders, private toilets, lunch included and a private area with plenty of space.

You're asking for it saying that Traveller. I'm not a "jerk with a ladder" but I think you might find there are quite a few on here who are. Keep checking back to the forum over the next few days, I'm sure you'll see what I mean. And anyway, all the toilets have doors (some of them even lock) - how private do you need? I'm glad I'm not paying £40 more to be hemmed in with a load of jerks with private toilets. It's a 2km or so long runway, how much space do you need exactly.

BTW "jerks with ladders" I don't think you're jerks.

As long as you don't stand in front of me.

In which case I may well change my mind. I'm not even sure ladders are allowed are they?

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

That was a bit general perhaps Chris and I believe you when you say you are not one. Sadly the vast majority I have witnessed in action are as I described though - not every single one granted.

If there is plenty of space as you say then why do people need ladders?

CJS

Post by CJS »

Traveller wrote:That was a bit general perhaps Chris and I believe you when you say you are not one. Sadly the vast majority I have witnessed in action are as I described though - not every single one granted.

If there is plenty of space as you say then why do people need ladders?

Fair enough Traveller. It's so they can get closer to the planes - their camera lenses aren't long enough :grin: Better stop or we'll get kicked out for going off topic. Enjoy next weekend :cool:

B2 Spirit

Post by B2 Spirit »

DeconflictionService wrote:Personally I'll be one of the CrAzY people that volunteer at RIAT ~ Thats how I'll be enjoying the show!! :yahoo:

ditto......
Tue arrival for the week for me

SCOUSEFOWLER

Post by SCOUSEFOWLER »

Depart Yorkshire Friday, daft o clock

Arrive silverstone for F1 free practice

Whelford set up camp fri eve

Sat RIAT show ground

Sun freeload on end of runway

Sun eve back to Yorkshire. Grand prix sky+ :rock:
he who laughs last laughs longest

matty82

Post by matty82 »

Driving down from Ely, Cambridgeshire friday morning. Renting a cottage near Fairford with the girlfriend for the weekend. Watch the arrivals from friday lunchtime onwards from the cottage *providing they are landing on runway 27*. Then Pimms Flight Deck Saturday, and Jubilee Garden Sunday. Just need the weather to play ball now, bring it on... :cool:

Phantom ACE

Post by Phantom ACE »

How will you be enjoying the show ?

Judging by the weather reports at the moment......

Underneath a fishing brolley in P&V East on Wed / Thu / Fri
Underneath a fishing brolley on the flightline inside the Airfield on Sat
Underneath a fishing brolley or inside my tent at Totterdown on Sun
Underneath a fishing brolley in P&V West on Mon.

Gotta love the British summer !

trebleone
UKAR Supporter

Post by trebleone »

@Phantom ACE ~ snap! - that's identical to my current plan :smile: