RIAT 2013 (post your feedback in this thread)

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
JJC

Re: RIAT 2013

Post by JJC »

Updated accordingly Dean :smile:

Indeed. All are looking great, for very different reasons (Yeovilton for the Swordfish pair and the helicopters, Waddo for the F-16 meet, RIAT for the 1 total debut (NH-90) & the flying debut of the acclaimed Italian Typhoon.)

We're still over 3 months away, I'm not yet worrying.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Logster

Post by Logster »

I suppose though worth bearing in mind (well for me certainly!) is that Yeovilton is half the price of RIAT (and I can't wait for the VL show - those helicopter displays will be great for one thing). But there is a while to go yet. I am sure it will all turn out right in the end :smile:

JJC

Post by JJC »

Logster wrote:I suppose though worth bearing in mind (well for me certainly!) is that Yeovilton is half the price of RIAT (and I can't wait for the VL show - those helicopter displays will be great for one thing). But there is a while to go yet. I am sure it will all turn out right in the end :smile:

Yes, that's something I didn't factor into the above conclusion^ :smile:

My aim was to show that the shows aren't any 'better' than each other, when solely taking participants into account. Taking into account ticket prices is a little more subjective, and not something I aimed to achieve (it's a hornets nest! :grin: )
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Manxman

Post by Manxman »

Just doing a bit of a count up, given the talk of Waddington looking better, and on numbers of individual aircraft there are only 56 on the list, many of which are listed as provisional, whereas RIAT now has I think 69 individual aircraft, and they are all confirmed on the official list. And both of those do not take into account the aircraft which will be in support (i.e. the second Tucano, Dutch F-16 etc which are there as back up).
David K- Manx spotter

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Surely all this conjecture regarding which show is better 3 months out is rather futile... the only time we can answer that will be once all of them are over...

chrisward123

Post by chrisward123 »

DeanW wrote:Good point JJC. Both Waddo and VL are looking strong, but I woudn't say they're stronger than RIAT at this stage.

FYI the AB412 had displayed in the UK at least a couple of times, at Sunderland and Dunsfold for sure.

I have seen the display at Southport at least twice...
2021 - Hopefully RIAT!

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:Fair comments that I don't have an issue with but the facts are that apart from the OP's comments regarding the Greek Embraer, that's been it. No hints whatsoever from the operator so nothing that we could report to the enthusiasts. The 'news' re: the Poles is exactly the same; the initial correspondence received has been fed in via the website and since then we've had no news to report: same with the Italian assets at this time. I don't have a magic answer and we're just as anxious as you all are to ensure that we have a great show again this year.

Caper, yup, very difficult to balance.

Cheers, Tom

Does this not set the alarm bells ringing for anyone else? They're clearly having much difficulty this year, for one reason or another, and are unable to give us any further news. The real concern is - in the example of Poland, who confirmed in December 2012 - we've heard nothing since, and we were told to expect 'further news in March'. In similar fashion, news regarding participation from Morocco, Iraq and Canada seem to have gone quiet.

Many foreign air arms have been - or are in the process of - firming their participation for European shows. But none of what we've heard seems to have anything to do with RIAT, not even a whisper like we've had in previous years. In the case of Poland, rumours are they've already allocated assets for shows this year and RIAT wasn't on the list. So I'm somewhat confused as to what is exactly happening, given we were expecting to hear something by now.

If there's someone new at the communication helm, responsible for this - as someone else has already mentioned - then exactly what are they doing differently? It's not unreasonable to think that there's 'too much red tape' here, and not enough 'proper' communication. You only have to look at other large shows in Europe, and the UK (Waddington), to see that they're ahead of RIAT, at this stage.

Perhaps I wouldn't be so concerned, but the trip to RIAT is an expensive one. There's no denying that. And this year, with the increase of ticket prices, there's more emphasis and scrutiny on the flying programme. Yet, you don't seem to acknowledge this - hence why we're left to air our frustrations. Already you've announced very 'ordinary' acts; such as the Tutor, Lynx and Wingwalkers. How can you justify the ticket price increase on the back of that? You can't. In fact, the majority of what you announced over Easter can be seen elsewhere for a fraction of the price. So when are we actually going to see the programme begin to take place for the enthusiast and for the regular who is having to pay more, because right now I don't see it. There's very little for the enthusiast (outside of the NH90 and a few rare static items), and very little communication as to what is going on. If you want to prevent the storm brewing, I suggest you begin to be more transparent and give us some idea of which direction this years show is heading.

Devon9

Post by Devon9 »

I am not sure it sets alarm bells ringing as such but maybe a warning light.

I Think if too many air arms commit to much NOW! it stands out as a cost that can be cut... Later confirmations may well be the way forward this year...

thewalkingNICK

Post by thewalkingNICK »

I'm more worried about the attendance of the american 'wet burger' stand than aircraft participation :lol:

jingernut

Post by jingernut »

RJC1878 wrote:Does this not set the alarm bells ringing for anyone else?

I'm more worried that you seem to be getting so annoyed with RIAT not giving you what you want.

You go on about it costing so much to attend... don't go then. Or wait until something is announced you want to see and then decide.

I might be missing something but how is Waddington ahead of RIAT at this stage? And when did it become a race?

Also, you go on about "ordinary" acts that can be seen elsewhere. Have you thought that a) this could well be the first airshow that people have ever attended and b) it may be the only airshow that people go to this year and c) maybe people enjoy seeing these "ordinary" acts more than once.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

jingernut wrote:
RJC1878 wrote:Does this not set the alarm bells ringing for anyone else?

I'm more worried that you seem to be getting so annoyed with RIAT not giving you what you want.

You go on about it costing so much to attend... don't go then. Or wait until something is announced you want to see and then decide.

I might be missing something but how is Waddington ahead of RIAT at this stage? And when did it become a race?

Also, you go on about "ordinary" acts that can be seen elsewhere. Have you thought that a) this could well be the first airshow that people have ever attended and b) it may be the only airshow that people go to this year and c) maybe people enjoy seeing these "ordinary" acts more than once.

I'm not annoyed. I feel passionate about a show I've contributed North of £1500 in the last two years.

I appreciate your last point. But one only has to have a look at their Facebook page to realise the negativity extends way beyond here, most of it - if not all - directed at the weekly aircraft updates. I can assure you, they're not enthusiasts.

exocet_uk

Post by exocet_uk »

The way people take RIAT as 'life or death' is embarrassing.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

exocet_uk wrote:The way people take RIAT as 'life or death' is embarrassing.

The way you assume that's what it means to some on here is in itself embarrassing.

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Team Orlik and Team Iskra released their schedules today, no RIAT.

TBPhoto

Post by TBPhoto »

What are the links to their websites? Or where you saw that info?
Nikon D7100
Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD
Nikon AF-S Nikon 50mm f/1.8G
Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC HSM

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Here you go.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Agg wrote:Here you go.

Is that a great surprise or problem? I'm not sure I have ever seen them at RIAT anyway and only one show outside of Poland or "Czechy" so it's what was expected.

Just my opinion of course (yadda yadda yadda etc etc etc) but if (if I know) the Rafale, Italian Typhoon, Swedish Historic flight and other rumoured participants confirm in the next few weeks then I suspect some of the worriers will be placated somewhat - although I doubt it somehow :grin:

Times change, and communication does especially. RIAT/DBH are planning one of the biggest public events in Europe of any kind - they know what they're doing because, believe it or not, they want it to be a successful show which can carry on for years to come. Of course you can worry and have opinions on the aircraft confirmed (as can I) but shall we judge them after the event? And as someone said a few pages back, vote with your feet - if you don't like it this year, don't go next year. If DBH don't do a good enough job then it will fold, the same as any other business (excpet strangly football clubs who seem to get more successful the more debt they get in to!!). Nobody wants that, but the people who want it the least are those at DBH so the show will be the best one they can possibly put on I'm sure.

Personally, I'm appalled they haven't brought the Space Shuttle and Concorde out of retirement for a flypast, but I'll hold my tongue - maybe that'll be next week's update.

And as I witheringly feel I must point out, this is only my opinion and I don't wish in any way to suggest that everyone else is not entitled to theirs because of course they are.
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

I'm personally glad Orlik and Iskry arent coming, we've already got enough prop display teams.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Luke28 wrote:I'm personally glad Orlik and Iskry arent coming, we've already got enough prop display teams.

The Iskras are jets.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

TBPhoto

Post by TBPhoto »

ah okay, cheers :smile:
Nikon D7100
Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD
Nikon AF-S Nikon 50mm f/1.8G
Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC HSM

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Luke28 wrote:We've already got enough prop display teams.

A grand total of 3...

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

Chris Strawson wrote:
Agg wrote:Here you go.

Is that a great surprise or problem? I'm not sure I have ever seen them at RIAT anyway and only one show outside of Poland or "Czechy" so it's what was expected.

I have seen them at RIAT, I think that was in one of the Cottesmore years !?

As said before this is not a big problem for me as I'd prefer a fighter from Poland any day...but right now it seems there won't be any flying act from Poland...

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

PeterR wrote:

A grand total of 3...

My point exactly.

alizam

Post by alizam »

Luke28 wrote:
PeterR wrote:

A grand total of 3...

My point exactly.

Even if they are a prop team, for me the pc-7 team offers a great display and i would choose them over some jet display teams any day

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

I'm looking forward to the PC-7 display too, the RJF and wingwalkers on the other hand....