RIAT 2013 (post your feedback in this thread)

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
davidjones533

Re: RIAT 2013

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sat 21 Jul 2018, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

henk99

Post by henk99 »

Wissam24 wrote:Am I the only one who thought that the Black Eagles, whilst good, were pretty much just doing a Red Arrows display from a few years back?

Yes

:clown:
| Frysian Flag 2020 | Erlanger Bergkirchweih | RIAT 2020 | Sanicole 2020

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Wissam24 wrote:Am I the only one who thought that the Black Eagles, whilst good, were pretty much just doing a Red Arrows display from a few years back?

I'd imagine so.

Macc

Post by Macc »

I hope so.

The Black Eagles display was the best display team sequence I've ever seen.

JJC

Post by JJC »

Didn't look a deal like any Reds display I've ever seen....
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Unanimously it would seem that yes, you are.

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff

Post by Ledhead27 »

I agree, best display team I've ever seen!
"FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, DroneMan Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Dwadwood

CJS

Post by CJS »

Ledheadpilot27 wrote:I agree, best display team I've ever seen!

Apart from Al Fursan you mean :wink:
:tumbleweed:
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

Bigrob

Post by Bigrob »

So what does everyone think we ll get Tom then?

DanH

Post by DanH »

Bigrob wrote:So what does everyone think we ll get Tom then?

Why? Is it his birthday soon? :grin:
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/

Bigrob

Post by Bigrob »

:lol:

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

:grin: Cracking joke. I'm pleased you don't really mean it - nobody would.

JJC

Post by JJC »

I don't remember the Reds ever drawing a South Korean Taeguk (their national symbol) in the sky, or the American-esque Calypso pass of Thunderbird's fame....

Nor do I remember the Red's doing these any time I've seen them in the last decade or so...

Sure, some of it may have been 'standard' amongst display teams (hate that word when describing these brilliant routines), but certain formation maneuvers etc seem to make their way into many teams. For me, the Korean's had the European flair and spectacle of a big team with flowing crowd-front changes, along with American precision and power.

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

To be fair and honest...they were outstanding but yes quite a few maneuvers remembered me of the Reds. The two photos posted look like Patrouille Suisse routine to me by the way!. :grin:

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

JJC wrote:I don't remember the Reds ever drawing a South Korean Taeguk (their national symbol) in the sky, or the American-esque Calypso pass of Thunderbird's fame....

Not sure why the Reds would want to draw the South Korean flag :question: :whistle: :grin:

It's a little unfair comparing a team you see year in year out with a team you see once or twice. If the ball was on the other foot and the Reds paid a visit Korea i'm sure the Korean enthusiasts would be singing the praise of the Reds, just like we did with the Black Eagles
Gary

JJC

Post by JJC »

tomcatforever wrote:
JJC wrote:I don't remember the Reds ever drawing a South Korean Taeguk (their national symbol) in the sky, or the American-esque Calypso pass of Thunderbird's fame....

Not sure why the Reds would want to draw the South Korean flag :question: :whistle: :grin:

It's a little unfair comparing a team you see year in year out with a team you see once or twice. If the ball was on the other foot and the Reds paid a visit Korea i'm sure the Korean enthusiasts would be singing the praise of the Reds, just like we did with the Black Eagles

But that's my exact point! :grin:

There were many fundamentally different aspects to the Korean display, such as that mentioned above, which we will never see in a Reds display.

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

very much on your own :wave: methinks.....
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

Thunderfoot

Post by Thunderfoot »

Nor do I remember the Red's doing these any time I've seen them in the last decade or so...

Sure, some of it may have been 'standard' amongst display teams (hate that word when describing these brilliant routines), but certain formation maneuvers etc seem to make their way into many teams. For me, the Korean's had the European flair and spectacle of a big team with flowing crowd-front changes, along with American precision and power.

Well lets compare the Union Flag with that of South Korea...it is relatively less complex, requiring only 3 aircraft to draw. The Union Flag however would be much more difficult due to the geometry of the shape. Not to mention it would RAPIDLY become distorted by the wind.

The Reds perform numerous manoeuvres that many display teams attempt to replicate, most famously the Heart. Not to mention the Synchro Pair, Red Arrows running break, the Red Arrows split etc, etc.

As mentioned above, you cannot moan about the Reds after seeing the Black Eagles ONCE. The Black Eagles were simply A-M-A-ZING (better than Al-Fursan I must say) however the Red's world wide reputation speaks for itself. They need no introduction, they are the finest display team in the world and you should be proud to see them fly our flag with such professionalism across the globe.
Sometimes the situation calls for highly accurate, high explosive. Paveway, for when diplomacy isn't enough.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Thunderfoot wrote:

Well lets compare the Union Flag with that of South Korea...it is relatively less complex, requiring only 3 aircraft to draw. The Union Flag however would be much more difficult due to the geometry of the shape. Not to mention it would RAPIDLY become distorted by the wind.

The Reds perform numerous manoeuvres that many display teams attempt to replicate, most famously the Heart. Not to mention the Synchro Pair, Red Arrows running break, the Red Arrows split etc, etc.

As mentioned above, you cannot moan about the Reds after seeing the Black Eagles ONCE. The Black Eagles were simply A-M-A-ZING (better than Al-Fursan I must say) however the Red's world wide reputation speaks for itself. They need no introduction, they are the finest display team in the world and you should be proud to see them fly our flag with such professionalism across the globe.

Nobody is moaning about the Reds, far from it, the point was that the Black Eagles were copying a Reds display were people have merely pointed out that they weren't.

JJC

Post by JJC »

I'm in no way detracting from Reds, they're fantastic and I love seeing them year in, year out; they're amazing!

My point was to show that the Red's and Black Eagle's routines are not really comparable manoeuvre wise, hence my inclusion of images to show things the Reds have never included, and probably never will.

I'm not saying the Reds should include comparable manoeuvres, I'm highlighting some of the differences in routines that prove they aren't the same.

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

JJC wrote:Nor do I remember the Red's doing these any time I've seen them in the last decade or so...Image[/url]

Have to take issue with this, the line astern or Helix? formation has been in every Reds display I can remember. Just the angle of the Red display you usually see the underside of the aircraft unless you are in a naughty field but this is completely off topic :grin:

Hoping for a good update today, or I wonder if they are holding something back for the press launch (Tuesday 18th June)
Gary

Hasboman

Post by Hasboman »

Hoping for France to be conformed today (Rafale and PdF). Some more heavies too would be nice - VC10 in the flying display? :love:

Some more civilian stuff too would be good - XH134? :whistle:

Harry

Bigrob

Post by Bigrob »

Hoping for a good update today. Hoping for some stuff to beef up the static park a bit

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

The Su-35 that is displaying at Paris would be nice! Unlikely though :sad:

Rogier77

Post by Rogier77 »

Rossbeef wrote:The Su-35 that is displaying at Paris would be nice! Unlikely though :sad:

Yes this is a plane i also hope to see. The Russian premium stuff that was announced early in the year by a guy in Russia.
But like we allready read on the form that are rumours, and with rumours you can go all the way. Read the tabloids.
I stil hope for a Flanker display. In Poland and in Hungary there will be a Flanker display. So why not on one of the biggest airshows in Europe?
I hope not more warbirds, i have allready lot's of toilet breaks and lunch breaks :whistle:
So come on give a good update today please.