RIAT 2013 (post your feedback in this thread)

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Abingdonman

Re: RIAT 2013

Post by Abingdonman »

What defines a star? I'd like to know what star would have pleased everyone :wink:
For myself, I hadnt seen the Rafale or the A400 before,would I have swapped/ditched them to see a USAF B1 or B52 instead?.....no way!
the B1 & B52 etc. are of course fantastic aircraft to see,but a star at any one time must surely be in the eye of the beholders....
in any case for me a good noisy fast jet will always be a star! :biggrin:

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

That's the show over for another year! Wasn't a classic show but still hugely enjoyable, today was great as well! Once again great work by Tim and the team! :clap:
Last edited by MRTT on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 5:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

vulcan57

Post by vulcan57 »

During the cab drive back to heathrow today, BBC Wiltshire news headlines said that the US may not take part at the air tattoo again!! Lets hope that's not the case or that I've heard it wrong!

intothefireuk

Post by intothefireuk »

My take on RIAT 2013 as witnessed on Saturday.

Initially thankful for the cooler weather conditions expecting it to break going into the afternoon which it didn't really until about 4.30/5.00pm by which time most of the 'star' acts had been and gone. This meant that we were mostly treated to flat displays from the aerobatic teams and solo fast jets which unfortunately aren't quite as thrilling. I thought the majority of displays were quite distant and therefore unengaging as well. No real standout acts from the day - it all seemed quite tame and conservative. Best of the bunch were Chinook, Rafale, Gripen, RAF Typhoon. Opted to go for the 'viewing village grandstand' this year so I could try and get some pics of take-offs and landings. That was fine until I started getting 'hands in the air' from the lady in front, who insisted on waving to every pilot. Had to move seats in the end. Static was a bit sparse as predicted but RIAT did well to get as many types as they did in the circumstances. Organisation-wise the red route traffic in the early morning was still appalling. Considering I stayed locally in Faringdon to lessen my journey time in the morning I still had to wait for over an hour in traffic before getting onto the base (about 2 miles from where the traffic started). Toilets were way too spread out and too few. Huge queues for the loos as we walked along the static line. Had to wait until we got back to viewing village to go! Food was over priced and rubbish (this is standard for any outdoor event IMHO). Apart from that we had a nice time but as virtually everyone has said it doesn't compare to previous years. Let's hope it's a blip and not the start of a trend.

Improvements for 2014?

Toilets - lots of them - not deployed so infrequently around the ground
Traffic management (although it's always been an issue)
If fewer static items - don't spread the damn things out so thin leaving some items stranded on the far side of the static line.
Display is too long and starts too early - unless it's filled with huge amounts of quality items there's really no reason to string it out. The first 3 - 4 hours the ground was only half full.
Flares and pyrotechnics - this is the stuff people love to see - spectacle!! Go see a Muse concert and see what can be done!
Faster, louder and more dynamic jet displays (ok so that's not RIAT's fault but they are getting very samey)
Nearer display line (again not RIAT's fault but something should be done)
Do we really need stuff like techno zone and caterham cars?
Bring back a decent commentator.

Ok I'm being picky and as I said overall given the financial state of the Western world all that could be done probably was (with a few exceptions).

Farnborough year next year so hopefully it'll be a bit meatier.

ITF

stuart n

Post by stuart n »

rdchawk wrote:
davidjones533 wrote:
s7uar7 wrote:One suggestion - it would help a lot of people if the organisers could put numbered flags on each of the tannoys. I saw countless people wandering around with food and drink who had obviously lost where the rest of their group were sitting.

That's a brilliant idea!

I can see this as a great idea but...... It wouldnt happen due to any large flags to advsertise numbers will obstruct views of the flying display, they would need to be quite large so people can see them from a distance.

They could move the speakers to the line that denotes the no tent/windbreak zone. Speakers along the front of the crowdline get in the way of photos, Mildenhall always used to pride itself on the fact the speakers were away from the crowdline which gave an uncluttered view.

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Did everything get away? some years the odd aircraft seems to go u/s and be left behind????
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

Omani GS4, EA500, RAF Tiffie and Meteor NF11 are still there.
Last edited by MRTT on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

aardvarkearache wrote:
No USAF, missing B1 Lancer.

There was USAFE involvement a C-21 flew over / departed Sunday morning :whistle: :grin:
Gary

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

U/S meaning Unserviceable?
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

Oh then I don't think so, but they did tow a Typhoon into a hangar
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

rickster2k

Post by rickster2k »

vulcan57 wrote:During the cab drive back to heathrow today, BBC Wiltshire news headlines said that the US may not take part at the air tattoo again!! Lets hope that's not the case or that I've heard it wrong!

If that is the case (and I wouldn't surprise me that much) then they need to sort out the static, i.e compress it get the spacing better or bring in some of the RAF heavies (Sentry/Tri-star/Hercules).

Tbh the flying display was fine variety wise without the US as previous years the US involvement tended to be just one act (Raptor/Osprey/A10).

I hope the US don't pull out completely but if they do or they are not attending 2014 they'll really need to do some thinking.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

vulcan57 wrote:During the cab drive back to heathrow today, BBC Wiltshire news headlines said that the US may not take part at the air tattoo again!! Lets hope that's not the case or that I've heard it wrong!

To be honest I doubt they have anything to base that on. Sounds like they took "USAF didnt do RIAT" and tried to make a headline out of it. After all, what would radio Wiltshire of all places know about the USAF's airshow commitments beyond this year? Nothing probably like the rest of us.

Chopper81

Post by Chopper81 »

Got to say I had a great 3 days, the Rafale was by far the most impressive fast jet, stand out displays for me C27, Dutch Apache, the RAF Typhoon was much improved, and its great to see the Reds looking top again! So next year money's on a Hurc fest as its 60 years since the first flight!

tankbuster

Two recurring themes

Post by tankbuster »

Toilets, so many people have mentioned this, it makes you wonder how anybody could think that toilets in only three locations was feasible. It is so absurd that the person who came up with that idea should be flogged and in line with another popular theme, close to the crowdline.

Food prices and quality, every year and not unique to RIAT this comes up. Two things spring to mind, 1) why do we the great British Public go along with it and pay these prices, and 2) having granted the concessions are there any quality checks carried out by RIAT staff. How can we persuade the man in the street to boycott these services until we qet the quality that matches the price.? Hardly anybody (or should that be nobody) would go back to a restaurant that served poor quality over priced food.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Great 6 days. positives for me.
Breitling Constellation.
Meteor T7
Red Arrows, and the A380
Red Bulls B25
the Greek and Brazillian Embraers
The Finnish Army NH90 especially being opposite the Datum I got some great pics of it.
Italian KC767
Arctic Tiger Tonka.
Ben Dunnells Commentary
The staff on friat and the other volunteers who were so polite and would help you out.

Negatives
The Caterhams, too noisy and starting none stop at 7am..
Sean Maffett, Ok at last you are putting into your commentary about the waltons. but its too long and just rambles... and I am sick of hearing the Spirit of Great Britain.. the spirit of great britain who cancelled the B3 variant of the Vulcan? enough already..give it to someone who can enthral the audience.
George Bacons Commentary
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

Brevet Cable

Re: Two recurring themes

Post by Brevet Cable »

tankbuster wrote:Food prices and quality, every year and not unique to RIAT this comes up. Two things spring to mind, 1) why do we the great British Public go along with it and pay these prices, and 2) having granted the concessions are there any quality checks carried out by RIAT staff. How can we persuade the man in the street to boycott these services until we qet the quality that matches the price.? Hardly anybody (or should that be nobody) would go back to a restaurant that served poor quality over priced food.
Wasn't that one of the topics discussed in the FRIAT Forum Meeting ??
Quotes :
Catering is going to be vastly improved site wide for 2013 as part of a 3 year plan; this improvement will also include FRIAT.
There was a consensus in the group that things were better when a hot meal was available, especially for the campers and that the crap kiosks were a retrograde step. RIAT said it is was too late to change this for 2013 but would look at it for 2014.
Over the next three years the show ground will see big changes to improve RIAT, this will include massive improvements in catering. Prices will not come down but the quality will be increased as will choice.

{ from the topic : http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=49321 }
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

JJC

Post by JJC »

I know it's been said so many times, but George Bacon really is awful.

The spiel he spouts adds absolutely FA to the commentary, mostly being made up of inane comments that verge on stupidity rather than substance. I also found the comments about the Wingwalkers to be in very poor taste. Some respect or restraint might have been required. He doesn't sound slick or professional, in fact it's more like a country fair announcer.

I'm not a great fan of any commentary to be honest, much prefer appropriate backing music to the routines (RNLAF F-16 and Thunderstruck is just awesome :rock: ). But if it has to be there, a couple of interesting facts (no, not engine mark etc.) will do just fine.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

A great show given the tough times; and one which seemed to tick many of the boxes.

Flying wise the Rafale was phenomenal, and the RAF Typhoon was a very close second I thought. Top marks to both the Red Bull guys and Dan Griffith in the Meteor who proved vintage aircraft over Fairford work just as well as modern mil. Great to see the Reds back to full strength at Fairford and forming up for lovely passes with both the A380 and A400. Also, and this may be controversial, I felt the Estonian L39 display was far more visually impressive and interesting than any RAF Hawk display was.

On the static side the Americans were sorely missed; huge gaps which would have normally accomodated B52s, KC135s, MC130s, the like. However there were a number of beautiful additions - of course the Breitling Super Constellation and the Canberra were wonderful to see however for me the highlight had to be the mass lineup of Typhoons, some great photos available there. My thanks to the Dutch, German and French contingents who always provide us with a strong static showing, and this year was no exception. The Tiger Tornado and special Mirage in particular were incredible.

Being up close to the Canberra as it taxied in on Friday evening ranks up there as a real highlight of the show.

The downsides...
- George Bacon's regular interruptions to commentary to remind us about events within the showground... If we were interested we'd be there!
Of note this belief RIAT has that families need a variety of attractions to keep them entertained seems to be balderdash - I saw an absolutely packed crowdline all the way toward each threshold, and a handful of people in 'Liquorice World' and a pet treat stand...
- The changes to FRIAT - with the departure of Marion from the FRIAT team; gone also seems to be the friendly customer service that members have become accustomed to expect. Messages given to the enclosure over the tannoy seemed very instructive and without any real emotion or personality - even a simple 'thank-you' would not have gone amiss. The worst event was the sudden announcement 'Left Luggage is now closed' - with no warning whatsoever. I saw more than one member having to make a quick dash to try and collect their belongings.
As has been discussed the FRIAT enclosure will no longer be open on Thursdays, instead the current plan is for a FRIAT 'area' in the east Park & View. A member of my party pointed out to Marion's replacement that this was all well and good provided the aircraft were operating off 27, but that things would be less good if 09 was in use, obviously due to the wind changing and aircraft therefore arriving a long distance away; whereas previously of course we have had the central enclosure; so this has not been a problem before.
Her reply to this was "What's the wind got to do with it?!" :facepalm:
This lack of even basic air-mindedness from a paid member of RAFCTE, as DanO has alluded to previously, is slightly concerning; especially as this is the person who makes decisions for members.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

I didn't know were else to put this and didn't want to start a new thread but I've only just remembered that I was approached by an American man while I was walking round the static and I kid you not he asked me why there was no USAF aircraft there, in fairness he may have been one of these joe publics I keep hearing about and he was rather drunk but even so it was pretty big news about your own country going into sequestration :lol:

DanH

Post by DanH »

Did anyone else hear the interview with Tim Prince on Air Tattoo live yesterday evening? To cut a long story short, the showground changes implemented this year were the first step in a three-year plan to reinvent the show. Also he commented that the powers that be in America are keen for RIAT to be the show at which the F-35 makes it's international debut, and he intends to do everything in his power to make it happen next year prior to his retirement.
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Any ideas when/if there will be a FRIAT forum?

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Re. the police helicopter late Sunday night..............I wonder if they are having a laugh trying to find a shagging couple in a tent with their IR, and then if they do you get the 20,000candle power search light!!!!!!

Bigrob

Post by Bigrob »

DanH wrote:Did anyone else hear the interview with Tim Prince on Air Tattoo live yesterday evening? To cut a long story short, the showground changes implemented this year were the first step in a three-year plan to reinvent the show. Also he commented that the powers that be in America are keen for RIAT to be the show at which the F-35 makes it's international debut, and he intends to do everything in his power to make it happen next year prior to his retirement.

Is there anyway you can hear that interview? Would like to listen to that?

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

DanH wrote:Did anyone else hear the interview with Tim Prince on Air Tattoo live yesterday evening? To cut a long story short, the showground changes implemented this year were the first step in a three-year plan to reinvent the show. Also he commented that the powers that be in America are keen for RIAT to be the show at which the F-35 makes it's international debut, and he intends to do everything in his power to make it happen next year prior to his retirement.

Next year could be a good shout due to it being a Farnborough year as well.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Well , if anyone wants to make their feelings known , their on-line Visitor Survey form is out :
https://www.snapsurveys.com/swh/surveylogin.asp?k=137275745507
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다