RIAT 2013 (post your feedback in this thread)

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Luke28

RIAT 2013 (post your feedback in this thread)

Post by Luke28 »

Just saw this on the RIAT website when I was having a gander, not much given away but still a bit of news on the 2013 show has got me excited :lol:

Latest Update - 20/11/12

Today (November 20) sees the launch of the 2013 Royal International Air Tattoo with Super Earlybird tickets going on sale along with a variety of enclosure and grandstand options in order to enhance your visit. As part of the build-up to the airshow on July 20-21, we shall once again be keeping you up-to-date with all the latest news and aircraft confirmations.

Whilst we are at an early stage in the process of attracting aircraft to RIAT 2013, nonetheless, we are happy to share with you some of the early feedback we have received following our embassy visits in October and from the invitations sent out to international military chiefs.

Permission for RAF Charitable Trust Enterprises to stage RIAT 2013 at RAF Fairford was granted by the US Air Force in the summer. The US military was hugely supportive of RIAT 2012 with many exciting aircraft participating. Also in attendance was the then Chief of Staff of the US Air Force General Norton A Schwartz and his successor, General Mark A Welsh III.

Traditionally, Air Tattoo promotional posters feature aircraft that reflect our ambitions for the following summer. Whilst we are making every effort to secure an F-35 'Lightning II' (featured on the 2013 poster) for RAF Fairford we have received no indication at present that an aircraft will be with us.

In accepting his invitation to participate in RIAT 2013, a senior French Armee de L'Air officer wrote: "I am convinced that such a gathering will enable us to reinforce and even cement our relationships among airmen. Even if it is still early in the year to plan out the availability of our assets I assure you a large participation of French aircraft in 2013"

The Swiss Air Force, which will be commemorating its centenary in 2014, has said that a decision as to whether it will participate in RIAT 2013 will be made at the end of January.

Operational commitments mean that the South African Air Force will be unable to send an aircraft to the airshow next year. However, it does plan to send a General to 'this very special event'.

In response to an invitation to attend RIAT 2013, the Italian Air Force said a decision to attend 'undoubtedly the best aviation gathering ever' would be taken in late spring following the handing over of command to a new Chief of Staff. "I have tasked the Air Staff to positively evaluate the feasibility of ITAF assets attending the airshow", said the senior military officer.

Mjstar

Re: RIAT 2013

Post by Mjstar »

Wow ! that sounds promiseing :clap:

iaint
UKAR Staff

Post by iaint »

I'm more interested in the reason for charging a difference in price between Saturday and Sunday admission tickets... :dunno:

http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/Newsro ... the-ticket

Iain

EDIT:
Found the answer...
Setting the right ticket prices each year is crucial to the overall profitability of the Air Tattoo. On the one hand, the airshow needs to raise funds for its parent charity in order to remain viable whilst on the other hand the airshow must ensure it continues to be accessible and affordable. It's a balance we currently have to strike at a time when costs are rising but our customers' disposable incomes may not be. Having explored a number of options, we felt the most effective way to make the airshow as affordable as possible for the most number of customers was to offer a less expensive ticket on the Sunday. We've extended the saving across the range of enclosures available which means that people can enjoy the airshow for a significantly reduced price should they choose to come on Sunday.

(Here: http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/Newsro ... icket-faqs)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

iaint wrote:I'm more interested in the reason for charging a difference in price between Saturday and Sunday admission tickets... :dunno:

http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/Newsro ... the-ticket

Iain

EDIT:
Found the answer...
Setting the right ticket prices each year is crucial to the overall profitability of the Air Tattoo. On the one hand, the airshow needs to raise funds for its parent charity in order to remain viable whilst on the other hand the airshow must ensure it continues to be accessible and affordable. It's a balance we currently have to strike at a time when costs are rising but our customers' disposable incomes may not be. Having explored a number of options, we felt the most effective way to make the airshow as affordable as possible for the most number of customers was to offer a less expensive ticket on the Sunday. We've extended the saving across the range of enclosures available which means that people can enjoy the airshow for a significantly reduced price should they choose to come on Sunday.

(Here: http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/Newsro ... icket-faqs)

I disagree with what RIAT are doing with this, what if you can only make RIAT on the saturday why do you have to pay more because its a saturday?? Also this means that you cannot now have an aircraft only flying on sunday only as people would question why have something flying on a cheaper day than on the day where paying more money for??
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

DanH

Post by DanH »

I don't think they've really thought this through particularly well. It seems incredibly unfair to charge so much more for the Saturday. Can you imagine the backlash they would get if there was a repeat of 2011 and the weather on Saturday prevented most of the flying displays whilst the Sunday continued as normal?
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/

AMB

Post by AMB »

Luke28 wrote:In accepting his invitation to participate in RIAT 2013, a senior French Armee de L'Air officer wrote: "I am convinced that such a gathering will enable us to reinforce and even cement our relationships among airmen. Even if it is still early in the year to plan out the availability of our assets I assure you a large participation of French aircraft in 2013"

[/i]

Does that mean they will send THREE TBM-700s? :whistle:
Adrian

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

No mention of can go either Saturday or Sunday tickets. I am happy to pay the premium for that service.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

AMB

Post by AMB »

Last year there were rumours about the Chinese "August 1st" aerobatic team coming to UK, which was watered down to the 'Chinese bringing a J-10 fighter to Farnborough' and in the end these rumours resulted in nothing! Now the Chinese have seen that the Koreans can do it from the same region, it looks like they are more determined and have released this press release:

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2012 ... 934337.htm

Voice of RIAT make your move!
Adrian

Vodka

Post by Vodka »

Cheaper price on Sunday? Well we all know I'm sure what will happen

Low attendence on Saturday and high attendance Sunday? Or will it be an excuse to raise the entrance price for the one day and hold the other. Stealth increase?

RiatMarketing

Post by RiatMarketing »

Hi Tankbuster, the optional day ticket was a premium-priced advance ticket giving people the choice of whether to attend on the Saturday or Sunday. Since 2008, when we introduced advanced ticket sales only, a limited number of ‘optional’ tickets have been made available. It offered flexibility to those people who wanted to wait until the last minute before deciding which day to attend. However, now that we have introduced e-ticketing, we can sell tickets right up to the day of the show – provided tickets haven’t already sold out for that day.
Air Tattoo Marketing Team

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Can anyone explain why going down this route?? I can't understand with the explanation of just "cheaper" option tickets. I agree that they're losing again in not doing the either day ticket.

Not sure what RIAT are playing at.
Whisky Connoisseur

FastJetsBest

Post by FastJetsBest »

I would rather just buy the either day ticket shame it's not there. Not sure what to do now I would not wait till the last minute to buy a ticket. I prefer the old way. :sad:

Liveforriat

Post by Liveforriat »

I would imagine that RIAT have looked at their split across the two days and it shows that Saturday is always practically a sell out while Sunday is
while still busy, the quieter day. They've also probably done some market research that shows people would rather go on a Saturday as its the main day out of most peoples weekends. From this it can be concluded that whatever they charge on the Saturday (within reason) it well achieve a near sell out so the challenge is to focus on the Sunday. One way to entice people in on that day would be to lower prices. It probably wont affect the Saturday crowds as the majority of people would take convenience over saving a fiver but it might just attract an extra few thousand of the great undecided. I think its a win win for RIAT it almost certainly wont effect Saturday crowds, but it may just boost Sundays attendance, Im also pretty sure it wont reduce either.
Was once Liveforriat2007 but that wasnt a great year so Ive decided to simply live for RIAT period.

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

RiatMarketing wrote:Hi Tankbuster, the optional day ticket was a premium-priced advance ticket giving people the choice of whether to attend on the Saturday or Sunday. Since 2008, when we introduced advanced ticket sales only, a limited number of ‘optional’ tickets have been made available. It offered flexibility to those people who wanted to wait until the last minute before deciding which day to attend. However, now that we have introduced e-ticketing, we can sell tickets right up to the day of the show – provided tickets haven’t already sold out for that day.

Ididn't see it as flexibility for last minute buyers and as I ordered it before Christmas last year you must have thought it would appeal to others. I just like the flexibility of not having to plan so far ahead while being able to ensure my booking to the one event I am going to attend come what may. Based upon your newly published prices if you were to charge early booking at say £38 I would have no hesitation in buying it and you would make £8 more than if I opted for the Sunday option or £3 if I decided on Saturday. We would all win.
Trevor C

FastJetsBest

Post by FastJetsBest »

tankbuster wrote:
RiatMarketing wrote:Hi Tankbuster, the optional day ticket was a premium-priced advance ticket giving people the choice of whether to attend on the Saturday or Sunday. Since 2008, when we introduced advanced ticket sales only, a limited number of ‘optional’ tickets have been made available. It offered flexibility to those people who wanted to wait until the last minute before deciding which day to attend. However, now that we have introduced e-ticketing, we can sell tickets right up to the day of the show – provided tickets haven’t already sold out for that day.

Ididn't see it as flexibility for last minute buyers and as I ordered it before Christmas last year you must have thought it would appeal to others. I just like the flexibility of not having to plan so far ahead while being able to ensure my booking to the one event I am going to attend come what may. Based upon your newly published prices if you were to charge early booking at say £38 I would have no hesitation in buying it and you would make £8 more than if I opted for the Sunday option or £3 if I decided on Saturday. We would all win.

+1 I would be happy with that too :rock:

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

I wa hoping there might have been a bit more feedback from RIAT about the any day ticketing. This is the question and answer in FAQs (below) but I don't think that answers the question which is why can't we buy in advance and have any day ticket like we did in the past. Apart from not answering the question, the answer that is there is a bit flawed. I did attempt a few years ago to buy a Saturday ticket at the last minute and they were sold out several days in advance and I was unable to attend. Which is why, since then, I have bought anyday tickets. Nothing personal RIAT, you are a great bunch of guys doing amazing things. I'm just peeved I can't buy my anyday ticket especially as you get more money out of me that way.

Why is there no longer an optional day-specific ticket?

The optional day-specific ticket was a premium-priced advance ticket giving people the choice of whether to attend on the Saturday or Sunday. Since 2008, when we introduced advanced ticket sales only, a limited number of 'optional' tickets have been made available. It offered flexibility to those people who wanted to wait until the last minute before deciding which day to attend. However, now that we have introduced e-ticketing, we can sell tickets right up to the day of the show – provided tickets haven't already sold out for that day.
Trevor C

Mjstar

Post by Mjstar »

Am i right in thinking that there will be a update on the site tomorrow ?

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Todays 29/11/2012 update

We have received a communication from the Ministerio de Defensa in Madrid confirming receipt of our invitation to the Spanish Air Force to send aircraft, including the Patrulla Aguila, to RIAT 2013. We have been advised to expect a decision early next year.

The Republic of Korea Air Force has sent a very generous letter thanking us for the part we played in enabling the Black Eagles to make their historic European debut last year. "It was a deeply meaningful debut and challenge for us as we seek to grow as an air force of the world and in the world," said the letter. Unfortunately, the biennial ADEX Airshow in Seoul next year means that the Black Eagles will not be available to come to RAF Fairford. The E-737 will also be unavailable as it is being prepared for full operational capability in 2013. Also ruled out are their F-4Es, which are considered too old to withstand the required disassembly and reassembly. However, the letter ends on a positive note, "The silver lining perhaps is that a [different] aircraft may be available [once we have reviewed] its operational demands for 2013".

A small team representing the Air Tattoo attended the British Air Display Association (BADA) post-season symposium at the Defence Academy Shrivenham earlier this week. Among the speakers were Sqn Ldr Mike Ling, Red 10, from the RAF Red Arrows who gave a review of the 2012 display season, and Aerobility's Mike Miller-Smith and Guy Westgate, who talked about their involvement in the Paralympic Games' opening ceremony.

http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/aircra ... -countries
Gary

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Promising stuff....
Whisky Connoisseur

vulcan57

Post by vulcan57 »

Very promising, and at such an early stage. Maybe something to fit in with the public theme, one of their rescue helo's, especially one of their Helix's. Of course something faster and noisier would also be welcome.

On another point, seeing as it was possible to get the Black Eagles here last year by disassembling and then reassembling on arrival, could the same not be done for the Canadian Snowbirds?

DanH

Post by DanH »

vulcan57 wrote:Very promising, and at such an early stage. Maybe something to fit in with the public theme, one of their rescue helo's, especially one of their Helix's. Of course something faster and noisier would also be welcome.

On another point, seeing as it was possible to get the Black Eagles here last year by disassembling and then reassembling on arrival, could the same not be done for the Canadian Snowbirds?

It probably is technically possible but the bigger issue is likely to be a lack of willingness, as unlike the Koreans with their T-50 the Canadians don't have an aircraft they'd like to promote.
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/

tu16

Post by tu16 »

"The silver lining perhaps is that a [different] aircraft may be available [once we have reviewed] its operational demands for 2013"

I guess that will be a C130.

swingy

Post by swingy »

tu16 wrote:"The silver lining perhaps is that a [different] aircraft may be available [once we have reviewed] its operational demands for 2013"

I guess that will be a C130.

Or P3.

sylvancatharsis

Post by sylvancatharsis »

Welp, it's official: Croatia and Bulgaria aren't coming.

Surprised?

But on the upside, the Poles will be back!

- Economic factors were cited as the reason why the Croatian Air Force and Air Defence will be unable to take part in next summer's Air Tattoo. However, its letter also stated: "I strongly believe that some time in the future we shall have the pleasure of participating in the Royal International Air Tattoo."
- The Polish Air Force has confirmed that it will be taking part in RIAT 2013. However, at this stage it is unable to indicate which aircraft it plans to send and whether it/they will be in the flying display or in the static park. Further information is expected in March.
- Its involvement in several national events next summer has meant that the Bulgarian Air Force has had to decline its invitation to take part in RIAT 2013. It stated: "Bulgarian Air Force participation in this significant event would strengthen the bi-lateral co-operation between our two air forces . . . I believe such participation would be possible for the Bulgarian Air Force in the near future."
- The Air Tattoo's aircraft operations team will be represented at receptions in London at both the Finnish and Ukrainian embassies tonight (December 6) and at the Swedish Embassy on Monday (December 10).
- Air Tattoo Chief Executive Tim Prince and Commercial Director Caroline Rogers will be among the guests at the Air Power Association dinner at the Palace of Westminster tonight (December 6).

http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/aircra ... -countries
Author of CULT OF THE WYVERN, a novel about Westland Wyverns and aliens. (Really.)
Flicky Flicky

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Su-22 Demo Team please Poland :whistle: :grin:
Gary