RIAT 2014 - Participation Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Re: RIAT 2014 - Participation Thread

Post by tankbuster81 »

Boeing Boeing Gone!! :lol:
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

tomw94

Post by tomw94 »

I actually enjoyed the Super Hornet, The noise it creates when using its burners.. wow. I am looking forward to seeing it again at Farnborough. Although the Swiss Hornet was a better all round display.
Italian Tornado was the highlight of the display for me, the fitters were awesomely loud also.
The French and Italians display teams outshone the Arrows.

Static was fairly weak but all in all great day minus the sunburn.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Ian G wrote:Just got back home, I was quite underwhelmed by the whole show, my views seem to differ from everyone on here, maybe because I am soooo tired after being up at 4!!

Nope....I was totally underwhelmed as well !!
So much so that I came home yesterday evening because couldn't be bothered to attend today.
Friday -- Glad I didn't stump up £34 for it , given how lack-lustre the flying displays were
Too many long gaps between each display ( not helped by the BBMF Hurricane , RR Spitfire & Swiss Hunter having gone tech and therefore not making it to the show )
Many of the displays seemed to be taking place over Faringdon rather than Fairford ( got to be bad when even the A400M is a mere speck in the distance )
Team displays seem to have become even more generic with regards the various elements flown , even if they do give them different names.
As usual the helo displays seemed to forget that the crowdline extends beyond the hospitality/FRIAT compounds
The commentary was poor ( do they really need to keep repeating the same information every few seconds !! ) and hampered by what appeared to me a recurring problem causing it to cut out , and I await the same sort of complaints as we had on here last year with regards the "girls who do it on top" comment for the wing-walkers display ( who gets the blame this year , or was George Bacon doing the commentary again ?? )
The static park was poor ( not helped by the Luft MRTT having departed not long after it arrived due to re-tasking )

I found the Apache Demo amusing for all the wrong reasons , being highly amused by the pyro which went off after it had finished & whilst the Apache was doing it's final bow to the crowd ( or was that a deliberate act to illustrate how sneaky & hard to kill Terry is.... :whistle: )
One of the better flying displays was the one carried out by the brolly at the Eastern end of the crowdline , which was aided by the bods on the golf buggy ( who only seemed to come up that end to have a smoke ) sitting there for a good 10-15 seconds whilst it blew past them. :lol:

tankbuster wrote: I was at the east end of the runway
On Saturday ??
Presuming you mean the East end of the crowdline , the only person sitting at the very end was me ( being an antisocial so-and-so )......the nearest people were 3 fenceposts to the West , or 4 or 5 fenceposts South.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Completely disagree on display distance Brevet, last year most displays required 500mm+ all the time! This year the vast majority of displays were significantly closer needing between 250mm and 400mm depending on the phase of display in the most part.

Defector2014

Post by Defector2014 »

Hi- I attended every year from early 90's up until 5 years ago. I thought I would give it a go this year to see what I was missing.

Very disappointed - static display sparse, aerial displays poor, apart from the Gripen.

I appreciate that everyone will have a different opinion, but mine is that we really miss the involvement of the USAF and to a certain extent the RAF. I was also struck by how very corporate the event has become.

Will I go next year? - probably not, the glory days have been and gone for RIAT. ( IMHO)

Jamie87

Post by Jamie87 »

Well for me the missed approaches and touch and go's totally made the show worthwhile.

The cancellations for me weren't missed too much (maybe the hunter).

I would say that if the F-35 had attended I'm sure many would have criticised its tame display anyway so probably best to wait a few more years to see it at its best.

All in all I think it was a great show. We must all now stop comparing the shows to those of the late Nineties and realise that it is tougher nowadays to organise a "military airshow" when most forces have limited resources.

The show was however a massive improvement on 2013.
Cosford, RIAT, Rhyl, Southport

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

boff180 wrote:Completely disagree on display distance Brevet, last year most displays required 500mm+ all the time! This year the vast majority of displays were significantly closer needing between 250mm and 400mm depending on the phase of display in the most part.
Can't compare the two personally , as I didn't bother staying for the showdays last year.......there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason with this year's displays , though , with regards the distance from the crowdline - was it the same last year ??
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Can we please keep feedback in the feedback thread. Thanks.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=61365
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

The display line is roughly in the same place as last year. The issue last year was a large number of the displays appeared to ignore the line and use the rear of the airfield as their display line (the Italian Typhoon especially).

This year there was a massive difference,only a few acts seemed to pick their own line, most notably the Belgian F-16. The Italian Typhoon was much closer but it was obvious due to some of the moves he was doing (which knocked the socks off the RAF display) meant these were always going to be a little further away as they would be just too dangerous to use the display line.

Inthrustwetrust

Post by Inthrustwetrust »

Solo Turk flame wing!

Not seen this mentioned before but if so apologies.

Worth looking out for the pictures later! :clap:
Canon 6D, 50D & 600d
Canon 28-105 &100-400 L usm lens

Aviation pics on davejonesphotography/zenfolio/

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Does anybody know the departure timetable for tomorrow

Thankyou in advance

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Soloturk and the Italian Tonka are joint runners for dodgiest part of a display in 2014 after their performances this afternoon.

Andy

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

boff180 wrote:Soloturk and the Italian Tonka are joint runners for dodgiest part of a display in 2014 after their performances this afternoon.

Andy

Why?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Tonka completely misjudged a low crowd-on turn and, whilst losing altitude at a reasonable rate bust the display line and continued towards the crowd until his angle of travel in the turn changed to away from the crowd just before the crowd line. Surprised it wasn't a red card however it was the penultimate turn of the display. (Not to mention he had a reheat/engine issue at the start of his display too but he sorted that)

Soloturk started his rolling climb after takeoff with a faster than usual roll rate and his starboard wing came (in my opinion) extremely close to smacking the runway before he began climbing.

henk99

Post by henk99 »

Awesome turn by the Tonka, although dangerous of course. I quite liked it and the other people around me to. A tonka that close with full AB.... Wow! :rock:
| Frysian Flag 2020 | Erlanger Bergkirchweih | RIAT 2020 | Sanicole 2020

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

boff180 wrote:Tonka completely misjudged a low crowd-on turn and, whilst losing altitude at a reasonable rate bust the display line and continued towards the crowd until his angle of travel in the turn changed to away from the crowd just before the crowd line. Surprised it wasn't a red card however it was the penultimate turn of the display. (Not to mention he had a reheat/engine issue at the start of his display too but he sorted that)

Soloturk started his rolling climb after takeoff with a faster than usual roll rate and his starboard wing came (in my opinion) extremely close to smacking the runway before he began climbing.

Rubbish...

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

SoloTurk was fine, Andy.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

As I said in my opinion from the angle I was at on Soloturk.

On the Tonka, the entire FRIAT stand making a sharp inhale of breath at the same time attests it was a wee bit dodgy. As does Henk.

Dan213

Post by Dan213 »

Boff180, if the flying display had been dangerous at any time, then the flying control committee would have terminated the display immediately.

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

I'd love to see any photos or videos of this, to see for myself as i was only their yesterday.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

Inthrustwetrust

Post by Inthrustwetrust »

Dan213 wrote:Boff180, if the flying display had been dangerous at any time, then the flying control committee would have terminated the display immediately.

Easy to say that, but as it was close to the end, they either didn't see it happen or turned a blind eye.
Either way 1 thing for sure it did happen, and to think I thought they were displaying too far away, then bam! I cannot put just the belly of the tonka in frame as it spills either side.

Very dramatic , and if I'm to be a sadist in this, rather good fun in a scary roller coaster ride, sort of way.
Canon 6D, 50D & 600d
Canon 28-105 &100-400 L usm lens

Aviation pics on davejonesphotography/zenfolio/

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

I was in the Viewing Village grandstand today and that Italian Tornado did pull out very close to the crowd line, haven't seen the underside of a Tornado that close since they used to fly over our house in the 90s on low flying practise :lol:

Was waiting to see if he would do it again but the next one he did was much further back, really wish I had been recording but stopped just before it happened.

Was quite disappointed when the Super Hornet left early in the morning but from what others have said of it's display yesterday I doubt I missed much.

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

Ian Garfield Photography Website!

Flickr Photostream

I should probably be working. Will work for doughnuts.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

The Tonka was DEFINITELY way too close but...well I loved it.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

i'm pretty sure the Tonka came over the crowd as i was underneath it looking up and what a sight it was :biggrin:
and i cant be the only one that saw the swiss F18 nearly screw up, surely not?