RIAT 2015

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
John boy

Re: RIAT 2015

Post by John boy »

Like I expect many of you I've followed this forum silently over the last few months and build myself up for Thursday lunch time to either be quietly satisfied by the updates or at times underwhelmed.

Although I think this year is building to be better than recent years in particular bearing in mind current commitments of NATO forces. I can't help however casting my mind back to those pre internet days and just turning up not really knowing what to expect to find and the excitement of seeing in the distance the tails of the heavies B52, C5A etc and then going a voyage of discovery through the static to see what else was there to find F4, F104, Draken, Fiat G91 ....Perhaps it's rose tinted specs and I'm turning in to a grumpy old man but have we lost some of the magic in this information age when it’s more likely we are disappointed by last minute non-attendance as something goes tech than being surprised by discovering something unexpected. Anyway Mach 3 pack arrived yesterday so roll on July
Flickr - Manx John

Sony A77ii Sony A77
SAL 70-400 G11
SAL Zeiss 24-70
Tamron 11-18
Uniden UBC125XLT

RIAT
Yeovilton

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Greek or Turkish F-4's would be nice, but things do change, i realise that, and i know DBH are not amateurs at this, and have been asking away for aircraft and participation.

I heard through a third party the other day that they had asked for an A-4 Skyhawk (and there are a few there) from Whitmund and got turned down.

I must admit, the 727 running down FFD's runway would be a nice one to have, also the Sea Vixen (if flyable) as the last time we had that, Jaguar and Harriers were flying. lol

What also would be nice is a Saudi Typhoon or 2 from Warton on delivery to Taif. 2 went to a french airshow the other week en route to their new home.

So, to clarify for the rude of typing, or just those that see my point. I'm not decrying the show, i'm just saying that for me (note for me, not for everyone) it's not a show that makes me want to spend money attending........at the moment.

That could, however, change on Thursday, and any day up to the show.

Cheers
Dave
Got to love Russianhardware

BenCollyer1991

Post by BenCollyer1991 »

John boy wrote:Like I expect many of you I've followed this forum silently over the last few months and build myself up for Thursday lunch time to either be quietly satisfied by the updates or at times underwhelmed.

Although I think this year is building to be better than recent years in particular bearing in mind current commitments of NATO forces. I can't help however casting my mind back to those pre internet days and just turning up not really knowing what to expect to find and the excitement of seeing in the distance the tails of the heavies B-52, C5A etc and then going a voyage of discovery through the static to see what else was there to find F4, F104, Draken, Fiat G91 ....Perhaps it's rose tinted specs and I'm turning in to a grumpy old man but have we lost some of the magic in this information age when it’s more likely we are disappointed by last minute non-attendance as something goes tech than being surprised by discovering something unexpected. Anyway Mach 3 pack arrived yesterday so roll on July

your right, next year il not be looking at the website or forums and will not turn up not knowing whats coming, im sure it will be far more exciting, perhaps not for the spotters though

kianelle

Post by kianelle »

Looking at list there are 43 flying at mo . I know some will be just be a fly past . How many are planed for full flying display ? And have they now filled flying display slots?

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

The way things are going with Greece at the moment , I wouldn't be surprised if there's one less participant in the flying display schedule before long.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I'm not too sure, they may use Zeus to play the political card.

Ie attend the UK as we want European reform and aren't part of the Eurozone.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

True. Bear in mind they'll still be in NATO which would keep the costs the same, it's not like they had any money when they committed.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | "soul-sapping mundanity"

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Wissam24 wrote:it's not like they had any money when they committed.
And they've got even less now.....and they'll have conciderably less if they default on their IMF loan.
Hmm....I know how the courts can seize a ship ( although they don't nail the arrest notice to the mainmast any more ) as I've seen it done.......never seen it done to an aircraft yet , though !! :whistle:
아직도 숨어있다

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Althought I would say, IF the worst happens (for the show, not the Country obviously) and we do lose Zeus thanks to the current issues, anyone who uses it as a reason to blame RIAT and/or claim it's a poor show at once will be very small minded and have the intelligence of an amoeba.

Andy

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

The absolute scenes when Ramex and Zeus cancel :ninja:

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Airshowhammer wrote:The absolute scenes when Ramex ... cancel :ninja:

Why would you assume that they will cancel? They are a very dedicated team who were unable to attend Cosford for reasons that have already been explained. I would expect that they will be even more keen to showcase their display at RIAT after their unfortunate cancellation.

On another note, has any more news come out regarding the Polish MiG 29?
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

I do hope that nothing else fast jet wise does not cancel.It's already looking light on the fast jet front compared to last year,I think there was around 11 or 12 x solo jet displays ? happy to be corrected.I still hope there will be some more fast jets confirmed for the flying display in the coming weeks we have left although I am not holding out much hope.Realisticly what else could confirm ?

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

I'd be very happy for Zeus to cancel if it meant that Greece had a few more Euros/Drachma to give their retired public servants their pensions. I realise that this wouldn't go far, but just wanted to make the point that there are more important things at stake than airshow participation.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Paul_Reflex wrote:I'd be very happy for Zeus to cancel if it meant that Greece had a few more Euros/Drachma to give their retired public servants their pensions
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
( Assuming you're not being serious )
아직도 숨어있다

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

a few more Euros/Drachma to give their retired public servants their pensions.

Perhaps they should try working beyond 40 then...

Alas.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Ok gentlemen, let's keep this pleasant.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Don't shoot me down for asking a silly question, but can DBH request the Rafale? Or do France once they confirm tell Dbh what they're sending and thats final?

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

They can request what they like but it's the air arm's decision as to what they send.

2E0TVR

Post by 2E0TVR »

[vimeo][/vimeo]
Brevet Cable wrote:Hmm....I know how the courts can seize a ship ( although they don't nail the arrest notice to the mainmast any more ) as I've seen it done.......never seen it done to an aircraft yet , though !! :whistle:

:lol: For civvies, they size the logbook and tape the seizure notice to the main entry door. Not sure for military but I would like to see someone try :lmao:

frank

Post by frank »

frank wrote:
TomTwin wrote:
The Indians - Coming over on Thursday, and will need a rest day to recover from that long flight. Essentially, they will be jet lagged, and if you haven't seen the invited countries section they and the indian navy have declined to come to RIAT, so that ends that one.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom Sorry for asking as I am a bit of touch. Are you saying that the Indians arrive in the UK on the 16th of July. I knew they were coming but didn't know when. Also am I correct in assuming they will be based at Coningsby for the duration.
Apologies for going off topic

TomTwin

Post by TomTwin »

frank wrote:
frank wrote:
TomTwin wrote:
The Indians - Coming over on Thursday, and will need a rest day to recover from that long flight. Essentially, they will be jet lagged, and if you haven't seen the invited countries section they and the indian navy have declined to come to RIAT, so that ends that one.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom Sorry for asking as I am a bit of touch. Are you saying that the Indians arrive in the UK on the 16th of July. I knew they were coming but didn't know when. Also am I correct in assuming they will be based at Coningsby for the duration.
Apologies for going off topic

Hi Frank,

AFAIK the Indians will be arriving in the UK on Thursday 16th July ( it may have changed by now, I'm not sure ) , but they have already declined to come to RIAT, and yes they will be based at Coningsby for the duration of the exercise.

Cheers,

Tom

A10

Post by A10 »

A-10 is flying at Bucharest Airshow apparently!! would be amazing if one of ours did a fly past of sorts. :yahoo:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Merely repeating a wish numerous times won't make it come true.

The correct way to carry out a successful invocation is as follows :
Stand on the exact centre-point of Fairford runway , stark naked but for a blue traffic cone on your head , at the stroke of Midnight ( GMT ) on the night of a full moon.
You then have to turn 6 times clockwise & 6 times anticlockwise whilst baying like a hound , then do 6 star-jumps alternately spitting over your right & left shoulder each jump.

Sorted.
:biggrin:
아직도 숨어있다

LennyL

Post by LennyL »

boff180 scathingly remarked:
very small minded and have the intelligence of an amoeba

Excuse me, but some of my best friends are amoebas and while I do agree that they may not be the brightest stars in the intelligence firmament, the small-mindedness of which you speak is a function of size rather than an unpleasant character trait...

I would respectfully suggest that in future you think very carefully before expressing opinions that are at once demeaning and humiliating. I know for a fact that a considerable number of my amoeba friends are considering a boycott of this site. I, for one, don't blame them...

And before you start contemplating targeting members of the aquatic realm, I would urge you to think very carefully. Us lobsters are more than capable of administering a very nasty nip... Conceivably in a place that might in future prevent you from contaminating the world with your offspring.

You have been warned.........
Lobster by name, Lobster by nature...

LennyL

Post by LennyL »

The irritating Welsh pendant observed:
The correct way to carry out a successful invocation is as follows :
Stand on the exact centre-point of Fairford runway , stark naked but for a blue traffic cone on your head , at the stroke of Midnight ( GMT ) on the night of a full moon.
You then have to turn 6 times clockwise & 6 times anticlockwise whilst baying like a hound , then do 6 star-jumps alternately spitting over your right & left shoulder each jump.

Why does it have to be a full moon?
Lobster by name, Lobster by nature...