RIAT 2016

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Pringles

Re: RIAT 2016

Post by Pringles »

Slappywag wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:High cloud, bit of blue sky, bit of sunshine but blustery wind here at Duxford. :biggrin:

Brian

:loser:

Duxford is not the loser, at least we have reasonable weather and a Heritage flight with a war bird.

Brian

Awful location, awful airfield, awful crowd? Yeah, definitely onto a winner there.

:grin: :grin: :clap: Well said Slappywag, you really know how to make yourself popular Brian
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

We got a lot more f35a than other days to fill the time

Mul

Post by Mul »

boff180 wrote:We got a lot more f35a than other days to fill the time

I'm sure the difference in technical specs have been done to death in other threads, but did you notice any particular difference between the two types? I can't say I did. :oops:

rocketeer

Post by rocketeer »

2 questions.
1.Why no F35 rolling maneuverers ?
2.Doesn't that Fan Inlet door cause a whole bunch of drag? :whistle:

Craig
UKAR Staff

Post by Craig »

Overall many positives this year. I was in the green car park Friday and Saturday and while there was some traffic it was well within acceptable levels. You don't go to airshows and get straight in and out but only added about 40 minutes to the journey heading out and even less heading in. Organisation on that front from what I saw was excellent. Thr cone system seems excessively elaborate, but I got there so no complaints from me.

As for the show itself, excellent. The weather while it could have been better was not the feared washout by a large margin and the sheer quality of participation was very high. I understand the frustration at "another" Typhoon and F-16 but it'a a sign of the times sadly the days of getting 5 different types displayed by the RAF alone are long gone. Ramex will be a big loss next year though and matching this year's line up will be very difficult. Agreed also it was very sad having a flying display with no Tornado but talking to the crews on static it was clear the GR4 is getting a very rare biRd. The major surprise on the static for me was just how thin the RAF participation was, a sign of just how stretched the RAF is at present. Was a pleasure talking to the crews of those who did turn up though and at the end of the day ops first is so obvious as to be barely worth pointing out.

My only real gripe was FRIAT. I was happy to pay what in fairness is a substantial premium for the improved location, and in many ways I don't begrudge that. I was lucky there were spare seats in the stand Saturday as the amount of space was ridiculous. It's fine to sit and watch but as most who are in this stand are photographers you need a bit of elbow room. I'll probably give them the benefit of the doubt and go for it again next year hoping for improvement, but if there isn't it'll be back to taking my chances with the masses. A solid 8 out of 10 for me and RIAT's crown looks very safe.

FullCarrot

Post by FullCarrot »

rocketeer wrote:2 questions.
1.Why no F35 rolling maneuverers ?
2.Doesn't that Fan Inlet door cause a whole bunch of drag? :whistle:

I've seen a VC10 flown harder. Not seen a VC10 hover though so..... Swings and roundabouts..... :lol:

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

robtheplod wrote:We visited on Saturday, great show all round, well done to the organisers..... just one 'but'....

was it really necessary to have so many F-16's and Eurofighters doing pretty much the same displays? Surely just one of each would suffice, that way they have more time available to get a bigger variety of planes rather than variety of countries? just a thought..... its the first time I've ever said 'oh no not another..... f-16/Eurofighter!'

What do you suggest the organisers do? Tell the Spanish Air Force that they won't be accepting the Typhoon display and that they must send the F-18 instead? It just doesn't work like that.

You think that SoloTurk and the Polish F-16 were pretty much the same display?
Belgian F-16 and Zeus?
Italian Typhoon and RAF Typhoon?
BAE Typhoon and Spanish?

They were all completely different displays.

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Craig wrote:FRIAT. I was happy to pay what in fairness is a substantial premium for the improved location, and in many ways I don't begrudge that. I was lucky there were spare seats in the stand Saturday as the amount of space was ridiculous. It's fine to sit and watch but as most who are in this stand are photographers you need a bit of elbow room. I'll probably give them the benefit of the doubt and go for it again next year hoping for improvement, but if there isn't it'll be back to taking my chances with the masses.

As a FRIAT first time member I couldn't agree more with this statement.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sat 11 Aug 2018, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Albion143

Post by Albion143 »

F-35B's are doing Farnborough and the A's will be leaving on Tuesday according to the pilots unfortunately. Unsure on the F-22's

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sat 11 Aug 2018, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Went yesterday and what a day - one of the best RIATs ever.

The Red Route was exceptionally busy with the A417 jammed all the way to Lechlade - a broken down 4 x 4 didn't help but at least it was moving.

Flying displays were excellent, I think its great that RIAT managed to get so many displays by various types and I enjoyed all the F16 and Eurofighter displays. The low cloud did hamper some of the team displays, I have never seen a flat display by the Frecce before and it was really sedate, the Jordanian Falcons struggled and the Wings of Storm also had to do their flat show, I actually liked Team Orliks display which combined with the music was a really polished performance. The Swiss were unlucky but good on them to present a modified 4 ship routine.

I do wonder whether the flying display director, knowing what the forecast was could have moved the foreign team displays later in the afternoon and perhaps brought forwards some of the helicopter displays that didn't need so much height or the Breitling wingwalkers/ Extra solo display.

Highlights:
SoloTurk best F16 display
Ramex delta
F22
F35B
Mig 29
Team Orlik
Reds and F35/ Eurofighter formation
A400M - loved the way they chucked it around

Roll on to 2017 - with RIAT in July and the RAF Scampton Airshow in September - nice A4 page adverts of both shows in the souvenir programme!

mafro987daboss

Post by mafro987daboss »

The traffic/static complaints have been and will be brought up, so I'll just comment on the Saturday flying!
I gather that the displays I missed (Polish F16, Spanish Typhoon, Greek F16) were the least impressive jets of the day (relative to the others)?
My personal favourite was the Rafale- even the commentator alluded to it being the best jet display! The Gripen gave a similar demo and was great too.
Ramex and Soloturk also gave the standout displays.
The Italian Typhoon was more polished and flamboyant than the RAF's.
Very disappointed with the F22 flat routine- I know the cloud didn't help but I've seen F15s give amazing displays in worse weather.
Shout out to Patrouille Suisse with their really tightly flown 4-ship display.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Went Saturday the sold out day, arrived about 07.30 with a few miles of slow but moving traffic.
Got on base parking about 07.50,
about 10 lanes for ticket and sercurity checks.
Top end green route grass crowdline very small went down yellow takeoff end, again small grass area for public
did notice how much space was around thou.
crowds very small in my view for a saturday, was it really sold out. No off base parking green route end.ascin past,
did notice how you can park up on base without any ticke, so could you park up and watch from a car?.
Good flying displays, was disappointed with the cloud base so lowvthey put the Frecce Tricolori on so early in the day,
Very thin on the static front, how it will be next year without Farnborough will be intresting.
to many half empty stands and tented areas at the display line.

JJC

Post by JJC »

On the contrary, I thought the Spanish typhoon was an excellent demo both days - one of the best from the type I've seen, and showed it off very well. Polish F-16 wasn't bad either, considering they've been coached by the Greeks. Gripen and Rafale but on superb performances!

SoloTurk wasn't a standout yesterday in my eyes - each to their own I suppose!
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Before i make my review, does anyone know the song that went with the Dutch Apache? Stuck in my head :music:

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

I'll post my positives of the show once it's over (still the best day yet to come), but one negative for now and that's the issue of being chased off site. 19:30 should mean 19:30. Not 19:00. Not even 19:29. I feel for the people that had to queue in, only to be rushed out as quickly as possible.

I don't mind that we have to be off at 19:30 (though 20:00 would be fairer IMO), but having staff stand in front of aircraft (these were the special paint Typhoons, on the way to the blue exit) to stop you taking photos, then saying you have to leave and can't take another photo LITERALLY as the PA says you have to leave the airfield in five minutes, is pretty out of order.

It left me feeling slightly bitter after an otherwise fantastic five days.

EDIT: You know what, I'll add in my other negatives now, and get them out of the way, because I have really had an excellent time at the show, bit I'll chuck all that in with my photos.

As has been said, new grandstand in FRIAT is pretty bad. Flimsy, no room to manoeuvre, getting up felt like you were a huge inconvenience to everyone around you. I hope they revert back to the old one for 2017.

I appreciate that it's a sponsorship thing, but I cannot stand the wing walkers in a RIAT flying display. I just cannot see what they bring to a display like this. That slot could be used for a far more relevant and interesting civilian item. Something relevant to the theme. I didn't have the same issue with the Breitling Extra. I think it's important to present women in aviation more and she has all the credentials (plus she doesn't taxi into static aircraft).

That is it though, it's been a pretty great weekend.

JJC

Post by JJC »

Also a special mention for how superb and yet understated the Krila Oluje and Orlik were. Both absolutely excellent performances of the highest class, and worthy of more recognition than they perhaps get!
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

PanaviaTornado

Post by PanaviaTornado »

I've been here all week watching inside and outside the base and I must say this was the best in recent memory. Bring on tomorrow!

Loads of highlights, too many to mention but if just one, it has to be Ramex outside Rhymes, that final transonic pass at that point is (or was :sad: ) something very very special and I'll never forget it!

Interesting to see how different the displays were from wed to sun of the same jet (same operator too), you can almost get a completely different airshow!

Only negative is today putting some of the best displays around nearly 5 when a lot of the public seemed to have left, pretty sure most would have preferred to have a few near solid hours of fast jets earlier rather than all the prop display teams and single acts at the midway point. Not an issue if you stayed however.The Sunday Super Hornet display seemed on another level, better than Saturday from where I was and he definitely was well inside the boundary during some of those manoeuvres, they all seemed to be over or under compensating for the strong winds tbh. Gripen typically nailed it though despite the weather.

Simply a 10/10 RIAT from me, well done :clap:

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

JJC wrote:Also a special mention for how superb and yet understated the Krila Oluje and Orlik were. Both absolutely excellent performances of the highest class, and worthy of more recognition than they perhaps get!

+1

Agree ! As mentioned above I thought the Team Orlik display yesterday was a real polished performance and their commentary and music helped enhance the display further.

Wings of Storm were also good but we only got to see their low show - which was still a better performance than Frecce's! Some music may helped to enhance their display, the polish team were spot on.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

I enjoyed the show, but came away with the opinion the best of the flying happened between Wednesday and Friday, and the best day overall (for me) Friday. The weekend was still excellent, but suffered slightly due to the poor cloud base and some routines suffered as a consequence.

The best of the flying highlights for me: BAE Systems/Spanish Typhoon, A400M, Rafale, F35, Heritage Flight and Ramex Delta. I did not think any of the F16 performances were 'outstanding' and was particularly disappointed with the Polish Tiger Demo after hearing so much - if I had to pick one, the Saturday display of SoloTurk was impressive. In addition to the F16's, the F-22 Raptor could not replicate its awesome display that had been witnessed by the few on Thursday and Friday. Furthermore, it was an emotional moment when Ben Dunnell spoke about the passing of Ed Strongman and the display by the A400M dedicated in his memory; a lovely touch and after witnessing so many of his excellent routines with the A400M - I'd just like to say thank you, Ed.

The static show ground featured some real gems and this was no more apparent than the Hellenic Phantoms and German Typhoons.

2017 has an incredible theme and the potential for a 'classic'. :up:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Hellenic F16 displayed somewhere over Greece.

steveb23

Post by steveb23 »

Did anyone else see the A400 landing today? Don't know if it was just me(?) but he started to reverse (standard display) and then seemed to abruptly stand on the brakes causing it to nearly go on its back end? Certainly looked strange to me.

vtwo

Post by vtwo »

Tim N wrote:Everyone in the Green car park returned to the last bus stop before the car park at the same time resulting in the longest single queue of people I have ever witnessed !

Just got back to my internet connection. The police blocked off access to the buses whilst Prince William, Kate and Prince George were looking around the Chinook and Osprey in the static park. The restriction was only lifted after the royal party had been driven away.