RIAT 2017 (Discussion & Participation Thread)

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
john001

Re: RIAT 2017 (Discussion & Participation Thread)

Post by john001 »

speedbird2639 wrote:
edhunter wrote:Is it just me or are the Jordanians rather late in confirming there falcons?

Oh don't get my hopes up. Could this finally be the year we're not 'treated' to the experience of the Falcans and their Briggs and Stratton power Extras.

Personally I enjoy watching highly skilled pilots from an air force which, in partnership with the UK and other countries represented at RIAT, is fighting a war in the Middle East. The team uses an aircraft frequently used over the years at world aerobatic championships. It is also pleasing to show respect to the team and the accompanying ground staff at the marquee which is usually on the airfield where you are welcomed and shown a little of the country and the history of the support that Jordan and its Royal family have given RIAT for very many years. I for one am grateful for that and look forward to seeing them this year (hopefully) and in the future.

Ouragan

Post by Ouragan »

Now, now. You know the Falcons will be in attendance; 'tis as certain as death and taxes.

JensSr

Post by JensSr »

Breitling jet team self confirmed them on their website as stated : http://www.breitling-jet-team.com/en/news-events/

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

The Reds, Thunderbirds and Breitling jets massed formation is on then... :pinkwafer: :smile:

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Ouragan wrote:Now, now. You know the Falcons will be in attendance; 'tis as certain as death and taxes.

And about as keenly anticipated as those two things as well.

CJS

Post by CJS »

speedbird2639 wrote:
Ouragan wrote:Now, now. You know the Falcons will be in attendance; 'tis as certain as death and taxes.

Ahh, the annual anti JF rant. :sleepy: Move along, nothing to see here. :butt: :wave:
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

CJS wrote:
speedbird2639 wrote:

Ahh, the annual anti JF rant. :sleepy: Move along, nothing to see here. :butt: :wave:

Yeah its an annual thing now, just wait until the update that they appear in and the facebook backlash. Its a well flown 10 minute routine, if they're not your thing then use that time to get something to eat, check your phone or practise your panning skills.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

JensSr wrote:Breitling jet team self confirmed them on their website as stated : http://www.breitling-jet-team.com/en/news-events/

I''ll take it, another display I haven't seen :)

Luke28 wrote:Yeah its an annual thing now, just wait until the update that they appear in and the facebook backlash. Its a well flown 10 minute routine, if they're not your thing then use that time to get something to eat, check your phone or practise your panning skills.

Why do people not like them? Is it because they are not fast jets? Or is it an unimpressive display?

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

jasonT1981 wrote:
JensSr wrote:Breitling jet team self confirmed them on their website as stated : http://www.breitling-jet-team.com/en/news-events/

I''ll take it, another display I haven't seen :)

Luke28 wrote:Yeah its an annual thing now, just wait until the update that they appear in and the facebook backlash. Its a well flown 10 minute routine, if they're not your thing then use that time to get something to eat, check your phone or practise your panning skills.

Why do people not like them? Is it because they are not fast jets? Or is it an unimpressive display?

More a case of familiarity breeding contempt - it's an exceptionally well-flown routine but as they are at Fairford literally every year, and because they're 'only' Extra 300s, those of us who are regular attendees do tend to tune out whenever they are displaying.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Luke28 wrote:or practise your panning skills.

Which sort of pan are you suggesting they practice on? :sick:

Poor old RJF, one of the most supportive overseas flying acts in history and so unloved. Its like the poor old Grasshoppers of the RNLAF, they used to get untold unnecessary abuse, even from their own countrymen, I bet they're glad they existed before the internet really took hold. :grin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Skyflash wrote:
More a case of familiarity breeding contempt - it's an exceptionally well-flown routine but as they are at Fairford literally every year, and because they're 'only' Extra 300s, those of us who are regular attendees do tend to tune out whenever they are displaying.

I've only ever seen one Extra 300 team display (from memory) it was the Blades and I really enjoyed it. The only other Extra 300 display I saw was 'G-Evil' and wasn't overly fussed with it, nice display but not amazing. So mixed results with the Extra 300's for me.

I've lived a sheltered airshow existence since I got back into going to shows 7 years ago. Only seaside shows, since our only airfield show in NI stopped years ago. So a lot is new to me, and I look forward to seeing them if they come.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

davidjones533 wrote:From today's email:

"Visit the Air Tattoo on Friday 14 July for our exclusive preview day and see the United States Air Force (USAF) Thunderbird's first performance at the show for 10 years!

We are celebrating the 70th Anniversary of the USAF this year so the eastern end of the airfield, next to the Vintage Village, will be our special USAF operational area. You will get a great view of aircraft like the Thunderbirds and the F-22, particularly on Friday when there are fewer people at the show! The Blue and Red Zones will be open on Friday whilst the Green Zone will be inaccessible to allow the movement of aircraft that will be arriving before and after the four hour (11am - 3pm) flying display. "

So a different take on the pit zone for this year. Hopefully there will be one or two more USAF operational aircraft in there!

Different take being no take, presumably. Wouldn't surprise me if the Thunderflakes have insisted on having the area removed this year to maximise preciousness. Hard to image an aerobatic display team managing to sit in a pit zone surrounded by the public and still put on a display in the same day - never seen that before!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Skyflash wrote:those of us who are regular attendees do tend to tune out whenever they are displaying.

Speak for yourself.
I'd rather watch the RJFs than the 'RAFTARTS'.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

If the RJFs want my attention then I suggest they come back with a F-16 four ship - until then 'meh' (c) Brevet :handbag:

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Wissam24 wrote:Hard to image an aerobatic display team managing to sit in a pit zone surrounded by the public and still put on a display in the same day - never seen that before!
Except the very first time the pit zone was used (some three shows ago I think). I wonder if the reaon is more because it didn't work as hoped as a lot of aircraft had their covers on when the zone was operating.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

speedbird2639 wrote:If the RJFs want my attention then I suggest they come back with a F-16 four ship - until then 'meh' (c) Brevet :handbag:

They'll cope without your attention. :up:

CJS

Post by CJS »

aviodromefriend wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:Hard to image an aerobatic display team managing to sit in a pit zone surrounded by the public and still put on a display in the same day - never seen that before!
Except the very first time the pit zone was used (some three shows ago I think). I wonder if the reaon is more because it didn't work as hoped as a lot of aircraft had their covers on when the zone was operating.

I think your sarcasm filter may be switched to 'off' ;-)

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

[sarcasm]Just seen that Scampton has the Catalina and RAF Falcons confirmed, not a sign of them at Fairford. I think I haven't seen the Falcons (well that Falcons) at RIAT since 2004 or something like that. Come on DBH, you know RIAT is your big show, not Scampton. Bring those in![/sarcasm]
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

CJS

Post by CJS »

aviodromefriend wrote:[sarcasm]Just seen that Scampton has the Catalina and RAF Falcons confirmed, not a sign of them at Fairford. I think I haven't seen the Falcons (well that Falcons) at RIAT since 2004 or something like that. Come on DBH, you know RIAT is your big show, not Scampton. Bring those in![/sarcasm]

That's better :grin:

I know this gets wheeled out as a discussion point about every three posts at the moment, but I wonder if it might be time for DBH to consider a move away from the Thursday only (with a few exceptions, and closer to the show more regularly) updates, to counter in some way the teams self confirming on their own social media outlets.

Granted, these don't always turn out to be true (take the Swedes, Gazelle Squadron and in the past the Sea Vixen) but there have been a few this year which have taken the edge off when they do get announced by DBH (the Raptor, today the Brietling Jet team seem to have done the same, there have been a few others I think).

I realise it doesn't make one iota of difference to the quality of the show and the so far excellent lineup, but when I first started going in 2007, the RIAT website was pretty much the first place you would get the updates IIRC. Obviously before that your 'updates' happened when the aircraft actually arrived, but times change don't they? Logistically it is obviously more of a pain but, let's say for arguments' sake that the Brietling announcement today is bone fide, why not have DBH announce it today too?

Just the thoughts of a slightly addled brain (first day back and all that :dizzy: ), like I said it makes no difference really. :smile:

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

I personally would rather updates were published as and when acts were confirmed to DBH.
Nikon D500

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

Or keep the Thursday updates, discuss them here on Thursday and don't bother with all the speculation, wishful thinking and "must be first with the news" written between Fridays and Wednesdays.

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer »

Airshowhammer wrote:In DBH we trust

What does DBH stand for?

alpha586

Post by alpha586 »

Douglas Bader House this is where the main RIAT team are based at RAF Fairford
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

CJS wrote:
aviodromefriend wrote:[sarcasm]Just seen that Scampton has the Catalina and RAF Falcons confirmed, not a sign of them at Fairford. I think I haven't seen the Falcons (well that Falcons) at RIAT since 2004 or something like that. Come on DBH, you know RIAT is your big show, not Scampton. Bring those in![/sarcasm]

That's better :grin:

I know this gets wheeled out as a discussion point about every three posts at the moment, but I wonder if it might be time for DBH to consider a move away from the Thursday only (with a few exceptions, and closer to the show more regularly) updates, to counter in some way the teams self confirming on their own social media outlets.

You have to keep in mind, not everyone follows display teams or RIAT FB pages/Groups for news, or even go to forums like UKAR/Fighter control for news. A lot of people are hearing the news for the first time on the Thursday updates.

I run the FB page for one of our local shows, and you would be surprised how many people are hearing the news from the FB page first, and have not seen display teams own FB postings. Granted a seaside show isn't the same as RIAT, but same principal involved. Not everyone like ourselves actively seek out information.