RIAT 2017 (Discussion & Participation Thread)

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
rdchawk

Re: RIAT 2017 (Discussion & Participation Thread)

Post by rdchawk »

Cheers Tom - Didn't know that.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:
vulcanshammer wrote:
Chrisse wrote:
rdchawk wrote:Bit more surprised that no Brietling item this year, Was thinking the BJT was a banker act after they self confirmed and with no wing-walkers either it seems a bit weird.

Having seen BJT's non-aerobatic act at ILA 2014 (due to German regulations), it's probably for the best. It doesn't compare with their usual polished routine and would not do them or Breitling justice.

Would their routine be non-aerobatic at RIAT then? How come?

The restriction on aerobatic manoeuvres by ex-military jet aircraft, now including the Hawker Hunter, at overland airshows remains in place. This means that they continue to be restricted to flypasts and associated manoeuvres only.

Thanks, I guess I just didn't think of them as civilian! :facepalm:
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

lance_y2k32

Post by lance_y2k32 »

Probably why we don't have the JDF down either.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Heads up - the Thunderbirds have in the past few minutes departed South Burlington to begin their Atlantic crossing - which base they land at in the UK in a few hours time is a matter for the bookmakers :smile:

JJC

Post by JJC »

boff180 wrote:Heads up - the Thunderbirds have in the past few minutes departed South Burlington to begin their Atlantic crossing - which base they land at in the UK in a few hours time is a matter for the bookmakers :smile:

Have the team been practising as a 5-ship? Haven't heard much since since the incident a few weeks back.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

coanda

Post by coanda »

I think it was a two seater that got blown over containing a maintenance team member and a senior staff pilot.

So no reduction to the display pilots and aircraft as far as i understand.
Last edited by coanda on Fri 07 Jul 2017, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

boff180 wrote:Heads up - the Thunderbirds have in the past few minutes departed South Burlington to begin their Atlantic crossing - which base they land at in the UK in a few hours time is a matter for the bookmakers :smile:

Niiiiceee :yahoo:
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

JJC wrote:

Have the team been practising as a 5-ship? Haven't heard much since since the incident a few weeks back.

It was the team commentator that had the incident (equivalent of Red 10), not one of the display pilots.

JJC

Post by JJC »

boff180 wrote:
JJC wrote:

It was the team commentator that had the incident (equivalent of Red 10), not one of the display pilots.

Thanks for the clarification :biggrin:
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

CJS

Post by CJS »

Presumably not FFD though if the NOTAM isn't open yet. What chances they pass through the Mach Loop while they're here?
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

No NOTAM up for Fairford as yet ( doesn't mean there won't be one published later )
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

kph100

Post by kph100 »

Brevet Cable wrote:

No NOTAM up for Fairford as yet ( doesn't mean there won't be one published later )

definately Fairford from what ive been told

kph100

Post by kph100 »

CJS wrote:
kph100 wrote:THUNDERBIRDS are alledgedly arriving tomorrow ..

Arriving where? I'd check your source I think, cos that'd be really really (really) odd.

told ya :yahoo:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Fairford NOTAM now up :
B) FROM: 17/07/07 17:00
C) TO: 17/07/07 23:30
E) FAIRFORD MIL ATZ ACTIVE. AD AND RWY 09/27 OPEN.

Guess that answers the 'where' question.
아직도 숨어있다

CJS

Post by CJS »

kph100 wrote:
CJS wrote:

Arriving where? I'd check your source I think, cos that'd be really really (really) odd.

'Ya' did, 'ya' probably shouldn't have. :whistle:

Or maybe it doesn't matter, I dunno :dunno: but the movements for Yeovilton that someone posted were pretty quickly taken down. What's the unwritten (or maybe written but broken) rule regarding publicising military movements that aren't in the public domain? (Genuine question...)

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

kph100 wrote:told ya :yahoo:

Well done....have a banana....Image
아직도 숨어있다

Dan213

Post by Dan213 »

CJS wrote:
kph100 wrote:
CJS wrote:

Or maybe it doesn't matter, I dunno :dunno: but the movements for Yeovilton that someone posted were pretty quickly taken down. What's the unwritten (or maybe written but broken) rule regarding publicising military movements that aren't in the public domain? (Genuine question...)

Here here no need to be bitter about it...

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Where where ?
아직도 숨어있다

n0143773

Post by n0143773 »

CJS wrote:
kph100 wrote:
CJS wrote:

If the base has said no - don't release timings - then yes, it's a military offence. If the info has come from within the base that is. But it's hardly a breach of the official secrets act. It all depends on how bothered the cops and base OC are, in terms of investigating/reprimanding. For stuff like this, the main worry is that there will be an incident during the arrivals etc if the timings have been released publicly. The police also request that timings are not made public, to avoid mass crowds and potential road closures etc. However, leaking timings for airshow arrivals is somewhat different to leaking timings and movements for sensitive deployments/operations - that would be investigated with a lot more effort.

Cole

Post by Cole »

vulcanshammer wrote:
Chrisse wrote:
rdchawk wrote:Bit more surprised that no Brietling item this year, Was thinking the BJT was a banker act after they self confirmed and with no wing-walkers either it seems a bit weird.

Having seen BJT's non-aerobatic act at ILA 2014 (due to German regulations), it's probably for the best. It doesn't compare with their usual polished routine and would not do them or Breitling justice.

Would their routine be non-aerobatic at RIAT then? How come?

Due to this i believe...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramstein_ ... w_disaster
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

CJS

Post by CJS »

Thanks for the info n0143773 :up:

Dan213 wrote:
Here here no need to be bitter about it...

:facepalm: :wave: :dunno: :lmao:

skidd40

Post by skidd40 »

Brevet Cable wrote:Where where ?

There on the stair

st24

Post by st24 »

n0143773 wrote:
CJS wrote:
kph100 wrote:
CJS wrote:

If the base has said no - don't release timings - then yes, it's a military offence. If the info has come from within the base that is. But it's hardly a breach of the official secrets act. It all depends on how bothered the cops and base OC are, in terms of investigating/reprimanding. For stuff like this, the main worry is that there will be an incident during the arrivals etc if the timings have been released publicly. The police also request that timings are not made public, to avoid mass crowds and potential road closures etc. However, leaking timings for airshow arrivals is somewhat different to leaking timings and movements for sensitive deployments/operations - that would be investigated with a lot more effort.

Exactly this. We're not talking a deployment of super secret black projects or armed war machines departing to spread death and destruction here, just airshow performers for a public event that is advertised as being open to see them, well for 5 minutes and into any sun of course. No I really believe the blanket ban on timings was so those poor souls who bought arrivals enclosure tickets couldnt see how little they were getting for their money. Yeovilton has got to be the most secretive, paranoid airshow on the planet.. :ninja: :dunno:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Ian2211

Post by Ian2211 »

Had anyone got links to a good site to track the Thunderbirds