RIAT 2017 (Discussion & Participation Thread)

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
pb643

Re: RIAT 2017 (Discussion & Participation Thread)

Post by pb643 »

boff180 wrote:I'll just leave this here...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ukairshowreview/status/886577061908926469[/tweet]

Very nice indeed. I don't recall nice topsides in the old days. :grin:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Tamest F22 display ever :grin:

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Airshowhammer wrote:Tamest F22 display ever :grin:

A full display?

I thoroughly enjoyed Friday's display.

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

Have to feel those who went Saturday were cheated a little,Friday had Reds and Thunderbirds together fly by why not Saturday and today a B2 flyby.It was rumoured a couple of days ago that this was in the offering possibly on both days,can understand Saturday did not happen but a announcement could have been made that due to weather conditions it could happen Sunday.
I realise that weather can not be helped but it seems a few people keep this info secret and share it amongst just a few which is not the idea of a forum.
Also from what we heard the F-22 was willing to wait for better weather but was told by control not possible,yet the Flanker was fitted in,it seems that the flying order is set in stone thus if something cannot go at the time it cannot be moved to another slot.
One of the star items could have been fitted in.
As for the Thunderbirds what was all the hype about might go well in the States but not over here,the Reds are still top in most watchers book.

John in Seaford

Macc

Post by Macc »

lambo17841 wrote:Have to feel those who went Saturday were cheated a little,Friday had Reds and Thunderbirds together fly by why not Saturday and today a B2 flyby.It was rumoured a couple of days ago that this was in the offering possibly on both days,can understand Saturday did not happen but a announcement could have been made that due to weather conditions it could happen Sunday.

From what I've read over the weekend, I believe that each day was to have a unique item: Friday with Reds and Thunderbirds; Saturday with U-2 demonstration and Sunday with the B-2 flypast. The U-2 demo didn't get the permissions to do it so there was no unique display on Saturday. It seems to be more a case of bad luck that Saturday had both bad weather and the cancelled U-2 demo - I feel sympathetic for those who chose that day but we all know the way these things work.

Ouragan

Post by Ouragan »

Hmm... unique displays for each day. I can't say I'm entirely happy with that one and where it might lead to. Hopefully it is just a one off for 2017.

techniquest

Post by techniquest »

Well it's not as if we can say "Hmm, there's a B2 going to fly by; come on - let's get in the car and go to the show today as well". No - you have to buy tickets in advance; and they weren't any cheaper if you chose Saturday over Sunday, just not worth as much. :facepalm:

nickosbad

Post by nickosbad »

Just seen a video of the fly past on the web and it looked great!

All those who attended today have genuinely had a once in a lifetime experience!!

The more I think about it the more disappointed I am that it was kept secret and I don’t buy the excuse I got from RIAT on twitter that they didn’t know it was happening until today....

Aircrews selling B2 coins and patches today indicate that they knew they were coming as these weren’t on sale Friday/sat plus the RIAT stands had B2 t-shirts indicating they anticipated an appearance at least

NOTAMs were posted yesterday so they knew they were on the way over

I just feel it could have been handled better.....am I jealous.....hell yes I am!!!

wezgulf3

Post by wezgulf3 »

nickosbad wrote:Just seen a video of the fly past on the web and it looked great!

All those who attended today have genuinely had a once in a lifetime experience!!

The more I think about it the more disappointed I am that it was kept secret and I don’t buy the excuse I got from RIAT on twitter that they didn’t know it was happening until today....

Aircrews selling B2 coins and patches today indicate that they knew they were coming as these weren’t on sale Friday/sat plus the RIAT stands had B2 t-shirts indicating they anticipated an appearance at least

NOTAMs were posted yesterday so they knew they were on the way over

I just feel it could have been handled better.....am I jealous.....hell yes I am!!!

If its part of a Global Strike Mission, that launched this morning from Whitman Air Force Base, how could RIAT have confirmed it? They would certainly have asked prior to the day but I'm sure confirmation would have been very early AM today. Can't think of any positives RIAT would gain from keeping secrets?

The Merchandise could have arrived on the C17 this morning as well.

Wes...

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

I took the view that as it was the 70th anniversary that something a bit special was going to happen.

So whilst the tickets were at their cheapest I bought for each day. Booked the time off work and rolled the dice.
Everybody had the same choice didn't they?

mikek

Post by mikek »

borismorris wrote:I took the view that as it was the 70th anniversary that something a bit special was going to happen.

So whilst the tickets were at their cheapest I bought for each day. Booked the time off work and rolled the dice.

Well, no.
Not everyone can get the Friday off work.
Not everyone can afford tickets for all the days.
Not everyone can physically get there all the days.
Not everyone expected different displays on the different days. This is not a good trend IMO. I saw the Raptor on the Friday but i spend a LOT of money to take the whole family on the Sat, who sat in the rain for an hr or 2 in the morning as planned displays turned into taxiing up the runway & then stood for 1/2hr watching the F-22 at the end of the runway for it to not display. Trust me, for non-enthustiasts, these are both is pretty boring. I accepted this however, but news of the B-2 has changed my opinion on the overall experience somewhat.

Another point... yes, i noticed the Reds?T'birds formation on the Friday, but didn't 'watch' it as i expected to see this agin on the Sat. I use Friday to look at the static! :wall:
Last edited by mikek on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Handsomest UKAR member.

Dan213

Post by Dan213 »

Ouragan wrote:Hmm... unique displays for each day. I can't say I'm entirely happy with that one and where it might lead to. Hopefully it is just a one off for 2017.

What's the issue with it? Seems like RIAT really can't win with some people

TijnvandeBeld

Post by TijnvandeBeld »

T-birds looked stunning from red, yesterday wasn't great of them... today has showed how great they are :rock:

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

mikek wrote:
borismorris wrote:I took the view that as it was the 70th anniversary that something a bit special was going to happen.

Well, no.
Not everyone expected different displays on the different days. This is not a good trend IMO. I saw the Raptor on the Friday but i spend a LOT of money to take the whole family on the Sat, who sat in the rain for an hr or 2 in the morning as planned displays turned into taxiing up the runway & then stood for 1/2hr watching the F-22 at the end of the runway for it to not display. Trust me, for non-enthustiasts, these are both is pretty boring. I accepted this however, but news of the B-2 has changed my opinion on the overall experience somewhat.

I cant believe people cant book leave 12 months in advance !

mikek

Post by mikek »

Rampvan wrote:

can you guarantee everyone can, though?
Handsomest UKAR member.

RedEagle

Post by RedEagle »

nickosbad wrote:Just seen a video of the fly past on the web and it looked great

Any chance of a link please?

wezgulf3

Post by wezgulf3 »

mikek wrote:

Well, no.

Another point... yes, i noticed the Reds?T'birds formation on the Friday, but didn't 'watch' it as i expected to see this agin on the Sat. I use Friday to look at the static! :wall:

It was announced before the fly past on Friday it was a one off, and it's not going to be a trend, this year is a USAF anniversary (think it's been mentioned already!) hence the reason the three days had a different USAF displays planned

Wes..

Dan213

Post by Dan213 »

mikek wrote:
Rampvan wrote:

Stop whining Mike. Evidently RIAT can't win with you. It's been made quite clear that RIAT had unique displays planned for each day

jules48

Post by jules48 »

What a bunch of moaning,winging people.
I am lost for words
What other airshow would you get a wide variety of participants from all over the world.
If I was the organisers of RIAT i would not even bother to put an airshow on next year.

mikek

Post by mikek »

wezgulf3 wrote:
It was announced before the fly past on Friday it was a one off, and it's not going to be a trend, this year is a USAF anniversary (think it's been mentioned already!) hence the reason the three days had a different USAF displays planned

Wes..

Ah, OK.
I'm just feeling a little disappointed for my daughter & son's gf who get dragged along! Oh well. I do realise the weather was the #1 culprit.
Handsomest UKAR member.

mikek

Post by mikek »

Dan213 wrote:
Stop whining Mike. Evidently RIAT can't win with you. It's been made quite clear that RIAT had unique displays planned for each day

LOL STFU. just saying. perhaps i was the only 1 not aware of this (until after the event).
Handsomest UKAR member.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

That Typhoon take off from crowd centre. Holy moly!

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

mikek wrote:
Rampvan wrote:

really, name me a bod who cant go to his manager tomorrow and say "I need Friday the 14th July 2018 off" and I will tell you someone who needs a new job!

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

Rampvan wrote:
mikek wrote:
Rampvan wrote:

really, name me a bod who cant go to his manager tomorrow and say "I need Friday the 14th July 2018 off" and I will tell you someone who needs a new job!

I accept that not everyone can - teachers if it's during term time etc, but most people can and I don't see why they shouldn't have differing displays daily.

Ultimately I'm sure DBH would have loved the B-2 all three days, but it's not their decision to make, nor possibly the decision not to publicise it.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Turkish AF KC-135R inbound, has just passed Brussels and is 57-2609 which is a different one from Wed/Thurs.