RIAT 2017 wishlist

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Airshowhammer

Re: RIAT 2017 wishlist

Post by Airshowhammer »

RAF4EVER wrote:A good flying display,and a good static park. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:what else do you want want at an airshow

Alexandra Bur....maybe not :tumbleweed:

flight79

Post by flight79 »

digi camo F18Es in static would be great :smile:

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Would be nice to see an Italian Atlantic. I believe the Italians have started to take delivery of the P-72s so there can't be much longer left for the Br1150s.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

This will be my first visit to RIAT in 2017, only thing I hope to see is a Tornado flying, not seen one flying since 2000 :/

However, would also hope to see the Thunderbirds, F15, F35, F22 and the Spanish Harrier

CJS

Post by CJS »

4 out of 6 would be my guess :-)
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

DeanW wrote:Would be nice to see an Italian Atlantic. I believe the Italians have started to take delivery of the P-72s so there can't be much longer left for the Br1150s.

Quite correct. Perhaps (although unlikely) the AMI could be persuaded to show off their latest Gufstream based machines.

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Glad to hear of the US focus for 2017: perhaps a good precursor to the 75th in 5 years time? :grin:

Would be great to see a real effort to get a lineup of all achievable/available types currently serving with the USAF at the show in some form with a similar story on the historical front. It would be especially nice to see some of the excellent airworthy gems in Europe (T-33, B-25, F-104 :wink:) utilised alongside these. Think a smaller American-focussed Century of Flight? Here's hoping for strong support from across the board. :up:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

A proper 90's Bone display, thats all i'm hoping for. Anything else is a bonus, Not counting my chickens though.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Airshowhammer wrote:A proper 90's Bone display, thats all i'm hoping for. Anything else is a bonus, Not counting my chickens though.

Or a 2000's bone display when it was rolled at Cottesmore
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

rdchawk wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:A proper 90's Bone display, thats all i'm hoping for. Anything else is a bonus, Not counting my chickens though.

Or a 2000's bone display when it was rolled at Cottesmore
And blew away people that didn't want to go into P&V
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

While it is no longer military, I would love to see 'Sally B' display next year. Played a massive part in USAF history.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Pretty much a given I would have thought.

IIRC the Lancer was barrel rolled in 2007 at RIAT too wasn't it? At the end of its display. :-o
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

If the Ukrainian 27 is properly back on the circuit then obviously I'd love to see it at RIAT.

Also the Romanian MiG-21, although it never seems to travel terribly far.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Russ

Post by Russ »

Skyflash wrote:If the Ukrainian 27 is properly back on the circuit then obviously I'd love to see it at RIAT.

Absolutely. Outside of some of the potential juicy USAF stuff, the Ukrainian Flanker display has to be top of the list. Surely shows like Malta and the one in Denmark (can't remember the name) this year aren't paying thousands to book it (unlike the static appearance at RIAT 2011)? Maybe as UK forces have done done training exercises in the Ukraine recently could help? :dunno:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

jasonT1981 wrote:While it is no longer military, I would love to see 'Sally B' display next year. Played a massive part in USAF history.

Not really. As the USAF only formed in 1947, the B-17 was being extensively withdrawn immediately after WWII and so its roles from then on were very secondary such as air sea rescue, VIP hacks and drones.

It played a massive part in USAAF history, but that's not what the anniversary is celebrating. :smile:

But it should be there. :up:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

vulcan57

Post by vulcan57 »

How about that very nice F-104 that made a return to flight today?!?!

Zarniwoop

Post by Zarniwoop »

vulcan57 wrote:How about that very nice F-104 that made a return to flight today?!?!

CAA :sad:

Love to see it though!

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Have we actually had any official clarification that the CAA would have an issue with the aircraft flying to/at shows in the UK?

- They have allowed afterburning jets like the Viggen & Draken to perform on a number of occasions (hindrance being a DA issue rather than a technical one)
- Other historic Norwegian jets (MiG-15, Vampires, CT-133 - what happened to that by the way?) have all flown at UK air displays recently
- The pilot who flew the aircraft today is thought to hold a CAA DA, having flown a Spitfire a couple of weeks back in the Duxford finale
- Despite the type presently being grounded, they recently allowed a civil-maintained, formerly G-reg Hunter to fly in UK airspace on delivery to Jordan
- Although they failed to certify the British example, the French-registered FW-190 was entitled to display at Legends 2009

Still by no means a guarantee, but quietly optimistic. Think the major limiting factor will be cost somehow...

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Those saying the CAA won't allow it are jumping to conclusions and guessing.

The pilot has displayed in the U.K. this year so must either hold a UK DA or the Norwegian DA is deemed acceptable to the CAA.

As Joe says the only reason we haven't seen the Swedish this year is that the CAA won't recognise the Swedish DA as being valid and the pilots don't hold UK DA's. It has nothing to do with the aircraft.

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

WG655 wrote:CT-133 - what happened to that by the way?

The pilot has been tied up in the Norwegian F35 program so hasn't been able to display the aircraft.

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

boff180 wrote:Those saying the CAA won't allow it are jumping to conclusions and guessing.

The pilot has displayed in the U.K. this year so must either hold a UK DA or the Norwegian DA is deemed acceptable to the CAA.

As Joe says the only reason we haven't seen the Swedish this year is that the CAA won't recognise the Swedish DA as being valid and the pilots don't hold UK DA's. It has nothing to do with the aircraft.

But they did appear at Jersey Andy .........

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Does the CAA hold the same jurisdiction over the Channel Islands as it does over the UK mainland?
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

How many times does this conversation need to be repeated?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74898&mobile=desktop#p749530
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:
boff180 wrote:Those saying the CAA won't allow it are jumping to conclusions and guessing.

But they did appear at Jersey Andy .........

But the CAA don't have authority in Jersey :-)

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Now I know how sensitive mods are here - deleting a harmless but mildly provocative post in response to a rather petulant reminder...... :roll:
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide