RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by Skyflash »

Brevet Cable wrote:Only fair the Germans are there, given their contribution to the founding & continued existance of the RAF. :biggrin:

Oh, and.... Meh !! Statics only !!

:lol:

You're as reliable as clockwork. A damned irritating clock, admittedly, but reliable nonetheless.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

AngryAndyPandy

Post by AngryAndyPandy »

Great to see a boost to the number of modern fast jets on static. Great support from the Germans yet again! :smile:

verreli

Post by verreli »

Romainian Mig-21 :up:
Statics :sleepy:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Skyflash wrote:You're as reliable as clockwork. A damned irritating clock, admittedly, but reliable nonetheless.

I refer the honourable gentleman to my post following last week's announcement of the Mig-21 participation. :tongue:
:lol:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Bit disappointing from the German Navy at this stage, a Lynx or Sea King would be far nicer than the semi-civvy EC-135. Still, their choice.

Are we ever going to see a CH-53 again, such a stalwart for years and when are any of these countries (Germany, France, Spain) ever going to send a Tiger/Tigre or one of their NH-90s? :hypno:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Lets hope the Transall brings some beer again!
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

verreli wrote:Romainian Mig-21 :up:
Statics :sleepy:

German statics :sleepy:
Imagef7 by Paul Downes, on Flickr

Imagef6 by Paul Downes, on Flickr

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Meh !!
The tiger-themed Tornados looked better.
아직도 숨어있다

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Ooooo the elusive Luftwaffa A400 :grin:

Nice update, but agree, need to see their CH53 back, lovely machine :love:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

harkins

Post by harkins »

capercaillie wrote:Bit disappointing from the German Navy at this stage, a Lynx or Sea King would be far nicer than the semi-civvy EC-135. Still, their choice.

Are we ever going to see a CH-53 again, such a stalwart for years and when are any of these countries (Germany, France, Spain) ever going to send a Tiger/Tigre or one of their NH-90s? :hypno:

That is the least desirable aircraft the German Navy could have sent but we can still hope to get a Sea King or a P-3 at a later date can't we? And the German Army is still listed as invited so a CH-53 is still possible - but I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

Going back to the EC-135; does anyone know why they're civilian registered? Is it just the way things are going like with some of our own training aircraft?

Kevyboy1979

Post by Kevyboy1979 »

Bit of a disappointing update today just the Germans for static hopefully we get another surprise update like last week and the start of this week when the Royal Navy and Romanian acts were announced for flying and static.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

harkins wrote:
capercaillie wrote:Bit disappointing from the German Navy at this stage, a Lynx or Sea King would be far nicer than the semi-civvy EC-135. Still, their choice.

That is the least desirable aircraft the German Navy could have sent but we can still hope to get a Sea King or a P-3 at a later date can't we? And the German Army is still listed as invited so a CH-53 is still possible - but I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

Going back to the EC-135; does anyone know why they're civilian registered? Is it just the way things are going like with some of our own training aircraft?

CH-53s are all with the Air Force now.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

It’s a superb update today with some great boosts to the static including a virtual doubling of fast jets.

Andy

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

capercaillie wrote:CH-53s are all with the Air Force now.

And adding chalked lettering on the side to make it read 'CLuftwaffeS wouldn't quite have the same ring to it. :biggrin:
아직도 숨어있다

harkins

Post by harkins »

Oh right. I guess there's less than a snowball's chance in hell in that case.

Still, despite that it's an excellent show from the Luftwaffe - particularly given the recent run of reports about their lack of serviceable air-frames, problems with their fuel, budget restraints etc.

The recently published report on the "Operational Readiness of the Bundeswehr’s Primary Weapons Systems 2017" gave these figures for the availability of types we've been discussing;

Typhoon jets: 39 of 128
Tornado jets: 26 of 93
CH-53 transport helicopters: 16 of 72
NH-90 transport helicopters: 13 of 58
Tigre attack helicopters: 12 of 62
A400M transport aircraft: 3 of 15

"...the document revealed. The Luftwaffe’s main forces — the Eurofighter and Tornado fighter jets and its CH-53 transport helicopters — are only available for use an average of four months a year"

And we think the RAF have problems!

Thomas Beting

Post by Thomas Beting »

Was looking at the confirmed aircraft and the Czech Gripen is coming from the 211 squadron, and they have a tiger scheme on one of their Gripens. Hope it comes!
Image But I'm not sure if it still has its scheme. (Picture by Alexis Boidron on Flickr)
Tom

jason82wells

Post by jason82wells »

Kevyboy1979 wrote:Bit of a disappointing update today just the Germans for static hopefully we get another surprise update like last week and the start of this week when the Royal Navy and Romanian acts were announced for flying and static.

What part of a nation sending *six* airframes do you find disappointing exactly? You either need to manage your expectations or begin to appreciate how good this show is *already* shaping up ten weeks out.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Brevet Cable wrote:

And adding chalked lettering on the side to make it read 'CLuftwaffeS wouldn't quite have the same ring to it. :biggrin:

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Took me a moment! Yes, that was very cool.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Really hope we get the Ghost Tiger from TLG-74.

Fantastic German support. :up:

CJS

Post by CJS »

jason82wells wrote:
Kevyboy1979 wrote:Bit of a disappointing update today just the Germans for static hopefully we get another surprise update like last week and the start of this week when the Royal Navy and Romanian acts were announced for flying and static.

What part of a nation sending *six* airframes do you find disappointing exactly? You either need to manage your expectations or begin to appreciate how good this show is *already* shaping up ten weeks out.

Or he needs to stop trolling.
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

Kevyboy1979

Post by Kevyboy1979 »

CJS wrote:
jason82wells wrote:

Why? Am I not allowed an opinion as all you lot have one nearly everyday and I don't criticise all of you so why you saying I need to stop?

I was only disappointed cause it's only static aircraft as would have been good to see a German aircraft doing a routine.

duffspeed

Post by duffspeed »

Kevyboy1979 wrote:
CJS wrote:
jason82wells wrote:

Why? Am I not allowed an opinion as all you lot have one nearly everyday and I don't criticise all of you so why you saying I need to stop?

I was only disappointed cause it's only static aircraft as would have been good to see a German aircraft doing a routine.

Germany no longer perform any flying routines - they haven't for quite some years now.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

duffspeed wrote:
Kevyboy1979 wrote:
CJS wrote:
jason82wells wrote:

Germany no longer perform any flying routines - they haven't for quite some years now.

Noooo........! Don't tell me The Vikings team, with their F104Gs, have stopped doing displays. :sad:

Kevyboy1979

Post by Kevyboy1979 »

duffspeed wrote:
Kevyboy1979 wrote:
CJS wrote:
jason82wells wrote:

I know that was what I was trying to point out as would be great to see a German plane doing a routine instead of always static.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

To be fair to Kevyboy, I do sympathise as well. I am fortunate enough to be able to see all the arrivals and departures for the show, so something being on static display, as opposed to flying, doesn't make a massive difference to me. However, if I was only attending on the actual show days I would be a bit disappointed with a static only update.

For me, this is a great update - but you know... different strokes.