RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Berf

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by Berf »

What's all this got to do with RIAT 2018?

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Berf wrote:What's all this got to do with RIAT 2018?

None whatsoever !

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Stay on topic please, this thread is long enough as it is!

st24

Post by st24 »

Kevyboy1979 wrote:
Big Eric wrote:
Kevyboy1979 wrote: and also 4 years serving with the RAF.

A waiter in The Mess? :whistle:

Ha ha yeah right RAF Regiment if you must know.

The prosecution rests m'lord..... Guilty as charged.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Nico001

Post by Nico001 »

Nice Update from the Germans. :smile:

Last month the Frecce Tricolori self confirmed there participation for Riat 2018 en also the Danish Airforce self confirmed there participation with the F-16 solo display and 1x C-130 for static.

Maybe these are the next week updates??

AngryAndyPandy

Post by AngryAndyPandy »

Post moderated by Jalfrezi.

REASON: Mocking another user, and failing to stay on topic....

Kevyboy1979

Post by Kevyboy1979 »

Nico001 wrote:Nice Update from the Germans. :smile:

Last month the Frecce Tricolori self confirmed there participation for RIAT 2018 en also the Danish Airforce self confirmed there participation with the F-16 solo display and 1x C-130 for static.

Maybe these are the next week updates??

I believe the Belgian A-109 self confirmed as did the F-16 so they might be on next week's update too??

CJS

Post by CJS »

Well that certainly brightened up my afternoon - the stellar update and the 'discussion' that followed.

Brilliant stuff (both!).
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

duffspeed wrote:Germany no longer perform any flying routines - they haven't for quite some years now.

You may want to check the accuracy of that statement with regards RIAT..... :whistle:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

duffspeed wrote:Germany no longer perform any flying routines - they haven't for quite some years now.

The 'Ghost Tiger' Typhoon performed a solo display at ILA last week.

JJC

Post by JJC »

Flare Path wrote:

Most likely an EADS test Pilot flying a borrowed typhoon - I believe the same was done at Ostrava in 2016 using the Luftwaffe 60th special typhoon!

Speaking of Ostrava 2016, the Romanian Mig was amazing to see - a few ‘hair-raising’ low passes though :grin: :hypno:
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

CJS

Post by CJS »

Brevet Cable wrote:

You may want to check the accuracy of that statement with regards RIAT..... :whistle:

Indeed, mighty fine it was too (for a helicopter... :hide: )

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

And unless I'm mistaken, the Lufti Tornado took part in the TTTE flypast in 2015, didn't it?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

CJS

Post by CJS »

Brevet Cable wrote:And unless I'm mistaken, the Lufti Tornado took part in the TTTE flypast in 2015, didn't it?

Why I do believe it did. Not my image:

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

JJC wrote:
Flare Path wrote:

Most likely an EADS test Pilot flying a borrowed typhoon

There wasn't any mention that the pilot was employed with EADS or displaying on their behalf - he was a German Air Force pilot, from my understanding.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Apparently it was Dominik Krebs who is titled ' a German Air Force Test Pilot' who piloted the Typhoon at ILA.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Isn’t it usually around this time of year when the Americans confirm? :smile:

duffspeed

Post by duffspeed »

Brevet Cable wrote:

Oh dear, I appear to have not fully qualified my statement. Boo and hiss. I was referring to displaying at RIAT. And when I say display, I mean a display routine, not just a couple of flypasts as with the other Tonkas a couple of years ago. The last I remember was a solo Tornado routine at least 5 years ago, probably more (I can't be bothered to check that info as it's really not that important to me :dunno: ). Please don't hurt me.

duffspeed

Post by duffspeed »

Flare Path wrote:
JJC wrote:
Flare Path wrote:

Most likely an EADS test Pilot flying a borrowed typhoon

There wasn't any mention that the pilot was employed with EADS or displaying on their behalf - he was a German Air Force pilot, from my understanding.

Nice that my woefully inaccurate statement got the subject back onto flying again. I'll treat myself to a biscuit thanks.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

duffspeed wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:

Oh dear, I appear to have not fully qualified my statement. Boo and hiss. I was referring to displaying at RIAT. And when I say display, I mean a display routine, not just a couple of flypasts as with the other Tonkas a couple of years ago. The last I remember was a solo Tornado routine at least 5 years ago, probably more (I can't be bothered to check that info as it's really not that important to me :dunno: ). Please don't hurt me.

Germany stopped all formal flying displays from its fast jets at least 12 years ago - around 2003/2004 I think. The last time I can remember seeing a German Tornado flying a display at the Air Tattoo was a Marinefliege example in 2003!
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

duffspeed wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:

Heh, INACCURACY! BURN THEM! :grin:

It's not a bad question, but as said, the Luftwaffe put up a Tornado in the flypast in 2015. Also in 2015 a Marineflieger P-3C was due to fly at Cosford, but canned before the show, and I can't remember whether it was a flypast listed or a display. I suspect the former. Insofar as actual display routines go, the Heeresflieger provided in '15 and '16 its awesome Bo-105 display before the type was retired in August 2016.

Germany as a whole seem to be half-on and half-off with displays. I think almost every year we see a Luftwaffe Typhoon flying a routine at a single airshow, either at a trade show, or at a place like Ostrava. I think often it's a Luftwaffe test pilot, or someone from EADS, but the whole "do Germany fly flying displays anymore" is a bit of a foggy question. TBH, I operate under the assumption that Germany don't really fly flying displays routinely, and anything of that nature that is penned from them is a pretty nice (and rare) treat.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

JJC wrote:
Flare Path wrote:

Most likely an EADS test Pilot flying a borrowed typhoon - I believe the same was done at Ostrava in 2016 using the Luftwaffe 60th special typhoon!

Speaking of Ostrava 2016, the Romanian Mig was amazing to see - a few ‘hair-raising’ low passes though :grin: :hypno:

Well you can knock that on the head at a UK show :(. The Mig Update sent a little Flutter to my heart then I headed back to reality that the display will be at a good enough distance away to make it pretty dull bar Take off.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

st24

Post by st24 »

Georgeconna wrote:
JJC wrote:
Flare Path wrote:

Well you can knock that on the head at a UK show :(. The Mig Update sent a little Flutter to my heart then I headed back to reality that the display will be at a good enough distance away to make it pretty dull bar Take off.

Exactly - what's the point. DBH might as well cancel them now....
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

CJS

Post by CJS »

duffspeed wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:

Well that, quite frankly, just isn't good enough.

Why shouldn't we? Hmm? Exactly, deep down you know you deserve it.

Mistakes on UKAR? Honestly, whatever next? :tongue:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

So a Mig-21 confirms and people are talking about the things it won’t do? Glass half empty and that...