RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
aviodromefriend

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by aviodromefriend »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:put up 9 red arrows hawks and thats a fair chunk of '50' aircraft gone already!
That's if they are not in big-big battle formation or something like that.
HeyfordDave111 wrote:unsure why they would not want to have foreign participation in the flypast?
I've said before,,,,,,,,, a few short years ago they had polish mig 29's, french mirage, USAF F-15's flypast Newport golf club for a G8, or 12 etc summit.
i'd have thought the 100th anniversary and Royal review would garner interest?
Because they are celebrating an RAF event, not an international event.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Kevyboy1979

Post by Kevyboy1979 »

The Baron wrote:
Tmyers123 wrote:
phreakf4 wrote:
Tmyers123 wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:Noticed one the Couteau Delta jets paint schemes also! Light blue and red on the fuel tanks! with a blue tail and their logo down the side of the jet. With a 75 on the tail, someone needs to re-jog my memory on what for? here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biOc5poLkp8

]I’m not sure about the new CD scheme, the colours just don’t go together IMO.

The colours are those of the French national flag. Hence that shade of blue is called "French Blue"....

Yeah, I noticed that they’re the colours of the French flag :grin: but I meant the new colours don’t go with the operational camouflage. Just my opinion though.

At least they've made an effort. Unlike another air arm...

Who? Or is that a silly question?

Kevyboy1979

Post by Kevyboy1979 »

Tmyers123 wrote:
phreakf4 wrote:
Tmyers123 wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:Noticed one the Couteau Delta jets paint schemes also! Light blue and red on the fuel tanks! with a blue tail and their logo down the side of the jet. With a 75 on the tail, someone needs to re-jog my memory on what for? here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biOc5poLkp8

The colours are those of the French national flag. Hence that shade of blue is called "French Blue"....

Yeah, I noticed that they’re the colours of the French flag :grin: but I meant the new colours don’t go with the operational camouflage. Just my opinion though.

I have to admit I personally don't like it too compard to the Desert camouflage one they had last year which looked awesome!!!!

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Kevyboy1979 wrote:
Tmyers123 wrote:
phreakf4 wrote:
Tmyers123 wrote:

I have to admit I personally don't like it too compard to the Desert camouflage one they had last year which looked awesome!!!!

Me too.

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

Can someone tell the French that no one’s interested in all these costly paint schemes... All we want is a simple sticker :snack:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Kevyboy1979 wrote:
The Baron wrote:
Tmyers123 wrote:
phreakf4 wrote:
Tmyers123 wrote:

At least they've made an effort. Unlike another air arm...

Who? Or is that a silly question?

That is, indeed, a silly question.
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Kevyboy1979 wrote:
kinglear27 wrote:The Armée de l’Air Dassault Rafale display jet’s new scheme looks great!
For those of you looking for a picture, it is on the UKAR Twitter page. :up:

Very nice indeed :smile:

It looks like the tweet that it referenced has been deleted. Anyone save the pics?

AngryAndyPandy

Post by AngryAndyPandy »

Go4Long wrote:
It looks like the tweet that it referenced has been deleted. Anyone save the pics?

The Cosford Airshow 2018 thread has an image of it there. :smile:

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

thanks...that is quite nice.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

phreakf4 wrote:
Tmyers123 wrote:

Have you actually seen the scheme? :dunno:

Typical French anniversary scheme different both sides, and both look great, left hand side is the blue side, the right hand side is red. Both have 75 markings, so presumably two of the units celebrating. Difficult from the video to get a clear frame to see exactly what the units are celebrating the anniversary and why on the drop tank on the right side it appears (maybe I need glasses) to be featuring a Su17/22? :ninja: Maybe a unit shoot down? Anyone have any links to anything clearer at this time?

The other jet was devoid of unit markings so hopefully in for a special scheme as well.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

effects

Post by effects »

aviodromefriend wrote:
HeyfordDave111 wrote:put up 9 red arrows hawks and thats a fair chunk of '50' aircraft gone already!
That's if they are not in big-big battle formation or something like that.
HeyfordDave111 wrote:unsure why they would not want to have foreign participation in the flypast?
I've said before,,,,,,,,, a few short years ago they had polish mig 29's, french mirage, USAF F-15's flypast Newport golf club for a G8, or 12 etc summit.
i'd have thought the 100th anniversary and Royal review would garner interest?
Because they are celebrating an RAF event, not an international event.

Well, considering a fair chunk of RAF Squadrons during WW2 were 'foreign' I don't think it is too outrageous to suggest the Poles, Czech/Slovak, Dutch, French, Norwegian, Australian etc (the list is long) take part, a lot of these Squadrons still have their RAF numbers.
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

When do you reckon we'll know what the Americans are sending? and if so what do you think they'll send?
extremely bored at work :sleepy:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Airshowhammer wrote:When do you reckon we'll know what the Americans are sending? and if so what do you think they'll send?
extremely bored at work :sleepy:

We already do, a C-17, KC-10, and F-35A. Will there be any more? I'd be surprised if there weren't a few USAFE assets, but until it's on the list, but who knows? :dunno:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Maybe i'm getting carried away after last year forgetting that it was the USAF 70th. :facepalm: I'm sure we'll get some LN F15's, a KC-135 & an Osprey. I do hope the Americans support their main allies with a show of force though.

st24

Post by st24 »

capercaillie wrote:
phreakf4 wrote:
Tmyers123 wrote:

Have you actually seen the scheme? :dunno:

Typical French anniversary scheme different both sides, and both look great, left hand side is the blue side, the right hand side is red. Both have 75 markings, so presumably two of the units celebrating. Difficult from the video to get a clear frame to see exactly what the units are celebrating the anniversary and why on the drop tank on the right side it appears (maybe I need glasses) to be featuring a Su17/22? :ninja: Maybe a unit shoot down? Anyone have any links to anything clearer at this time?

The other jet was devoid of unit markings so hopefully in for a special scheme as well.

It's 75 years EC01. 003 "Navarre". Theres also a yellow scheme for 10 years of ESTA - EC3's maintenance squadron. Gotta love the French...
And your Fitter is an F-100..... :facepalm: :smile:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

st24 wrote:And your Fitter is an F-100..... :facepalm: :smile:

I am watching on a teeny-weeny screen and the heat haze wasn't ideal! :grin: That's my excuse anyhow, at least it makes sense now. :up:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

FlashGordon

Post by FlashGordon »

I do wonder if any of the far eastern nations will reciprocate with participants after the Reds tour either last year or the year before. Not to say we’re entitled to any participants from those countries, of course we aren’t, but anything from them would be fantastic.

Personally, I’m already very happy with the Soviet designed stuff already. A MiG 29 wouldn’t go amiss though :smile:

Something from Pakistan or India would be the icing on the cake.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

We really need a MiG. Would hardly be an RAF celebration if we didn't have one.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Agreed. Not to mention a Tupolev or two. In fact, if there's no Blackjack i'm putting my FRIAT pass on ebay.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

P.S. not interested in the LanceR as it's been westernised. Might as well have another F-16.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

MiG_Eater wrote:P.S. not interested in the LanceR as it's been westernised. Might as well have another F-16.

Huh? It's got some Western avionics and can carry NATO ordinance, but it's still in essence a MiG-21M, and just as importantly it's not grey (well, maybe a little bit)!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

MiG_Eater wrote:P.S. not interested in the LanceR as it's been westernised. Might as well have another F-16.

Another F-16 that is in fact a MiG-21
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

I'd suggest that MiG_eater was being sarcastic, especially considering Sam said we really need a MiG, as if "we" don't "have" some already... :whistle:

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

cg_341 wrote:I'd suggest that MiG_eater was being sarcastic, especially considering Sam said we really need a MiG, as if "we" don't "have" some already... :whistle:

I think you're probably right, could have probably done with a :whistle: though. Bizarre comments on UKAR aren't unheard of!

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Yes, I might have been being a bit sarcastic.

The pre-RIAT complaining is something that shocks me (and amuses me) every year.

I'll always remember a guy half way through pitching his tent angrily packing up and going home after hearing of the cancellation (after a crash on take off!) of the Romanian Il-28 that was supposed to attend many years ago.