RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Tmyers123

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by Tmyers123 »

CJS wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:How does a Malaysian Flanker sound? :biggrin:

Similar to a Ukranian one I imagine.

Except the Malaysian Flanker has better engines, is more manoeuvrable and has thrust vectoring, which would lead to a brilliant display.

Not to mention how good the Su-30MKM looks, too.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Tmyers123 wrote:I’m confident there will be a USN/Boeing Super Hornet display, as there has been one every 2 years for the last 8 that I saw. And this will be two years since their last display here, so fingers crossed. :wink:

If you are saying whenever it's a Farnborough year we also see it at RIAT then that has been true but its never a sure thing, still remember in 2014 on the Sunday it took off quite early in the morning and that was it, no display just off it went, was very disappointed :(

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Tmyers123 wrote:Not to mention how good the Su-30MKM looks, too.

So a one shade of grey overall Malaysian with teeny tiny weeny national markings looks better than a four shade blue digi camo Ukrainian?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Andyperkins wrote:
Tmyers123 wrote:I’m confident there will be a USN/Boeing Super Hornet display, as there has been one every 2 years for the last 8 that I saw. And this will be two years since their last display here, so fingers crossed. :wink:

If you are saying whenever it's a Farnborough year we also see it at RIAT then that has been true but its never a sure thing, still remember in 2014 on the Sunday it took off quite early in the morning and that was it, no display just off it went, was very disappointed :(

Not just the Boeing display that would go to Farnborough, but the U.S Navy TACDEMO too.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

capercaillie wrote:
Tmyers123 wrote:Not to mention how good the Su-30MKM looks, too.

So a one shade of grey overall Malaysian with teeny tiny weeny national markings looks better than a four shade blue digi camo Ukrainian?

I don’t remember saying it looks better, I’m just saying I like the look of it. I didn’t mention the paint scheme either :lol:

https://instagram.com/p/BfHmJkSgitS/

This is a short clip of a Malaysian flanker displaying, which is an example of why I said the thrust vectoring would result in a dynamic display
Last edited by Tmyers123 on Thu 10 May 2018, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Andyperkins wrote:

Maybe the "no early departures" will put them off coming to Fairford?
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Displayed perfectly fine at RIAT 2016 :question:

duffspeed

Post by duffspeed »

Airshowhammer wrote:Displayed perfectly fine at RIAT 2016 :question:

A little on the high side on the Saturday. Impressive display but had to squint a bit to see it.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

This year will be my first year with an actual camera at an airshow, so could anyone tell me if my setup is decent enough/ what I could get to improve?

Canon 7D
70-300mm lens for flying display
70mm lens for static park

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

duffspeed wrote:

A little on the high side on the Saturday. Impressive display but had to squint a bit to see it.

That display was probably one of my favourites at RIAT 2016. First time seeing it display after missing it in 2012 and 2014, the manoeuvres were incredible!
Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

2019 shows:
Old Warden (Season Premiere)
RIAT (Thu, Sat, Mon)

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Tmyers123 wrote:This year will be my first year with an actual camera at an airshow, so could anyone tell me if my setup is decent enough/ what I could get to improve?

Canon 7D

Perfectly adequate, I'd say.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

The Baron wrote:
Tmyers123 wrote:This year will be my first year with an actual camera at an airshow, so could anyone tell me if my setup is decent enough/ what I could get to improve?

Canon 7D

Perfectly adequate, I'd say.

:up:

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Still bummed that I missed it’s arrival on the Friday, after the 5 hour flying display had finished me and my Dad looked round the static for an hour or so then decided to leave and just as we were driving out the gate the F-18 came in and proceeded to perform its full display in clear blue skies :facepalm:

AngryAndyPandy

Post by AngryAndyPandy »

Andyperkins wrote:

Still bummed that I missed it’s arrival on the Friday, after the 5 hour flying display had finished me and my Dad looked round the static for an hour or so then decided to leave and just as we were driving out the gate the F-18 came in and proceeded to perform its full display in clear blue skies :facepalm:

One of the more unexpected and memorable moments for me! Was a very nice surprise after a long day and in awesome skies too. Would love to see the Super Hornet back again! :smile:

Homer

Post by Homer »

Canon 7D

I would want something wider for static but I like to get the camera past the ropes and cones.

300mm is workable and since it's your first time it might be easier to track aircraft with but you'll probably find you soon want something with more reach.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Homer wrote:

Canon 7D

I would want something wider for static but I like to get the camera past the ropes and cones.

300mm is workable and since it's your first time it might be easier to track aircraft with but you'll probably find you soon want something with more reach.

Okay cheers :up:

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

duffspeed wrote:

Agreed. It's an awesome machine flown impeccably but the whole thing could do with being dropped by several hundred feet... a lot of the more 'out-there' manoeuvres lose their impact because the Super-Bug is a mere speck in the upper atmosphere!

Bring back Ricardo Traven, I say.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Mantog

Post by Mantog »

The Super Hornet is always impressive but the Spanish Hornet was the surprise star of last year’s RIAT for me! Superb display, should have won a trophy.

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

Mantog wrote:The Super Hornet is always impressive but the Spanish Hornet was the surprise star of last year’s RIAT for me! Superb display, should have won a trophy.

If you thought Sunday’s Display was great, you should have seen Saturday’s!

Oh, wait... :grin:
Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

2019 shows:
Old Warden (Season Premiere)
RIAT (Thu, Sat, Mon)

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

My concern still is the lack of RAF,wasn’t it hoped that one of each type on static ?
Also the only commonwealth country to really get behind the event so far is Canada .

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

In 2016 the Super Hornet flew its Farnborough display at RIAT, for simplicity’s sake on the pilot’s part; that’s why it was relatively higher and further away.

JJC

Post by JJC »

Mantog wrote:The Super Hornet is always impressive but the Spanish Hornet was the surprise star of last year’s RIAT for me! Superb display, should have won a trophy.

Concurred!

Such a shame it was completely missed from the DVD. Never found out why this was...
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Believe it was flagged/carded for the half Cuban on take off (that was the scuttlebutt I was told anyway).

duffspeed

Post by duffspeed »

Gripenjetphotos wrote:

If you thought Sunday’s Display was great, you should have seen Saturday’s!

Oh, wait... :grin:

I remember it being very good but have now watched it again on youtube and it really is a blinding performance. Who needs thrust vectoring when you've got a pilot with those skills. :rock:

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Malaysian or Ukraine flanker?

Malaysian everytime, a) it's a better flanker, b) we've not had a Malaysian flanker before, c) it's a major player in the thrust vectoring field and if displayed would be as dramatic as most other thrust vectoring aircraft.

Ok, it's not as pretty, colour wise, but its a lovely aircraft and very rare.
and its rarer than the Ukraine one by a long way.

Even better though would be an Su-24 'Fencer' in my books.(the russian F-111 ardvarkski)
dont think we've had one from the Ukraine before, and not sure the UK has even had that type before either, but stand to be corrected.

Now that would be a catch, good light coloured grey / white, some in subtle camouflage so not bland mid grey on the whole.

Anyway, 8 x thursday announcements to come, unless we get some mid week or weekend ones..... a heck of a lot of stuff still to announce.
i hope the commonwealth decides to lump in (NZ i can understand), but there is a big link to India, Australia etc so they might just?
Last edited by HeyfordDave111 on Fri 11 May 2018, 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Got to love Russianhardware