All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
alans895

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by alans895 »

Me also!

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Probably more surprised it didn't fly last year considering its role in the USAF.
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

Brevet Cable wrote:If that proves to be correct, it's another wasted opportunity in my opinion.

Not a wasted opportunity at all BC. I'd love to have Tony display at RIAT and he and I have had that conversation many times; with the odd exception to fit theme etc. then nations accepting an invite always come first.

Kevyboy1979

Post by Kevyboy1979 »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:If that proves to be correct, it's another wasted opportunity in my opinion.

Not a wasted opportunity at all BC. I'd love to have Tony display at RIAT and he and I have had that conversation many times; with the odd exception to fit theme etc. then nations accepting an invite always come first.

So does this mean we still got more nations to be announced?

harkins

Post by harkins »

I don't think it means anything. I also think that it's pretty much inevitable that at least one more nation will be added in the coming four or five weeks. There's still a few regular attendees that aren't on the list yet.

edit: Having just scanned the invited nations list I might take my comment back. The Irish Air Corp and Qinetic are the only invitees left that I would probably expect to be there. And not sure Qinetic actually have any aircraft now! Japan have been pretty regular of recent but they're far from expected and I guess Hungary have been regular attendees too but, after that I'd say there's not much else that wouldn't qualify as a big surprise.

another edit: I'm more hoping for extra announcements from nations already coming. Some more US stuff would be great and it'd be wonderful to see the Greek F-4s again (or their 2000s) and I pray that Poland or Slovakia add a Mig-29 display (but I'll settle for a static example). And there's definitely more to come from ther RAF.

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Apart from Romanian Mig21 is there anything new of interest? Looks same as last year otherwise, and the one before.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Evening cheery ;-)
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

Traveller wrote:Apart from Romanian Mig21 is there anything new of interest? Looks same as last year otherwise, and the one before.

Just dotting the 'i's and crossing the 't's on the Ugandan Flanker for you.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:
Traveller wrote:Apart from Romanian Mig21 is there anything new of interest? Looks same as last year otherwise, and the one before.

Not that thing again! :grin:

harkins

Post by harkins »

Of course we all love and hope to see some unusual stuff but, for Pete's sake. Even without anything else added this will be one of the best air displays for years and will almost certainly be the best airshow you'll see in the UK from now till the end of time.

For anyone feeling underwhelmed right now, just go and read the confirmed aircraft list again to remind yourself what we've got to look forward to in July.
Last edited by harkins on Sat 02 Jun 2018, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

Personally I am happy with the show so far. I think the icing on the cake would be the Ukrainian Su-27 display again but i'm not too sure if i can deal with the will they won't they turn up again as it was so stressful! :lol:

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

Absolutely right Harkins, even leaving aside the Romanian Migs there are some standout items in the flying display such as the Finnish NH90 and the Aèronavale Rafale pair.

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:

No need to go that far, we'll be quite happy with a Ukranian example :rock: :smile:

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

Can I ask the members of Friat when you walk across the airfield on arrivals do you get the chance of taking photos of the aircraft already in the static park (like last year on the Thursday we already had the buff and bone in ) or do you kind of get moved along into the stand?

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

You cross the airfield to the stand in a sort of walking bus, so you only really see a tiny proportion of the static as you go.

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

Paul_Reflex wrote:You cross the airfield to the stand in a sort of walking bus, so you only really see a tiny proportion of the static as you go.

Thanks

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Another German Tornado added or was it always 3?

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Luke28 wrote:Another German Tornado added or was it always 3?

I’m pretty sure it was 2 before. The update says “two Tornado ECR/IDS” and now there are 3 IDS Tornados on the list.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Nice stuff, the more the merrier :up: :up:

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

Well we always hope for more, but this really is shaping up to be corker,any chance of slipping in last years missing " Scooter "? plus ...or....maybe a pair of...??

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

tuska2 wrote:Well we always hope for more, but this really is shaping up to be corker,any chance of slipping in last years missing " Scooter "? plus ...or....maybe a pair of...??

It’s brilliant already, and we still have the Flanker to be confirmed (if it happens), what I would like to see though, is a rare static item like a C-5. I think what would make this show perfect is anything from India, as they have some real gems in their inventory. Imagine, Su-30MKI displaying and Il-78 on static. :love:

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

If thee is anything coming from india i'd venture to suggest a Jaguar or 2 might be better in keeping with aircraft that have (in the loosest sense here) been flown by the RAF. (and in fact rarer than the Sukhoi, on these shores)
Got to love Russianhardware

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Apart from 2007 have they ever attended before then? I personally don't think we'll see zilch from the Indians but if we do it'll be a C17.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Airshowhammer wrote:Apart from 2007 have they ever attended before then? I personally don't think we'll see zilch from the Indians but if we do it'll be a C17.

I’m not really expecting anything, but now of all years if they are going to attend at some point.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

RIAT had the Indian AF take part in 2007 because they were over on detachment at Waddington. Its a huge long shot to get them here just for the show.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums