Airshowhammer

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by Airshowhammer »

Has it really been 11 years :hide:

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

harkins wrote:
Traveller wrote:Apart from Romanian Mig21 is there anything new of interest? Looks same as last year otherwise, and the one before.

Even without anything else added this will be one of the best air displays for years and will almost certainly be the best airshow you'll see in the UK from now till the end of time.

I must have dreamed about S Korea, UAE, Saudi and Brazil. If 4 (FOUR) F16s flying separately on the same day is your thing then fine. And 2 separate Rafales from the same country.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Traveller wrote:
harkins wrote:
Traveller wrote:Apart from Romanian Mig21 is there anything new of interest? Looks same as last year otherwise, and the one before.

Even without anything else added this will be one of the best air displays for years and will almost certainly be the best airshow you'll see in the UK from now till the end of time.

I must have dreamed about S Korea, UAE, Saudi and Brazil. If 4 (FOUR) F16s flying separately on the same day is your thing then fine. And 2 separate Rafales from the same country.

The same as previous years? What, you mean like the Canadian Hornet, French Navy Rafale demo, Vampire Pair, BBMF Trenchard formation, RAF RC-135, Sentry, Sentinel (yes, yes I know they're 'only' static') RAF100 flypast, ? That kind of "the same"? :dunno:
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Traveller wrote:
harkins wrote:

So you’re telling me that you’re not looking forward to seeing the *three* Rafales this year? And I assume you’re not too bothered about the MiG-21, RCAF CF-188, or the F-35A and B? And that’s with more to come. Not to mention the gems on static, Sentinel R1, RC-135W and two of the USAFs heavy bombers? It will be one of the best shows in a while this year.

P.S Appreciate the F-16s while you can :grin:

G67

Post by G67 »

Paul_Reflex wrote:Absolutely right Harkins, even leaving aside the Romanian Migs there are some standout items in the flying display such as the Finnish NH90 and the Aèronavale Rafale pair.

How are they 'standout' if they're appearing at other shows around the country and / or Europe, or have done RIAT before? Will the Finns bring their big waving-gloves again I wonder.

Now the Pakistan JF-17 at Radom, _that_ is stand-out ( oh they have the Romanian MiG-21 too... ). Even the Harrier at Farnborough showing that you can indeed pay to get unique items.

I mean it's good to get excited by RIAT's line-up but let's not go into super-hyped mode, at least not until Blue Impulse are announced. Not everyone renews FRIAT automatically and at the current level of participation myself and others I know will probably try a European show next year instead of the one in Gloucestershire.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

G67 wrote:
Paul_Reflex wrote:Absolutely right Harkins, even leaving aside the Romanian Migs there are some standout items in the flying display such as the Finnish NH90 and the Aèronavale Rafale pair.

How are they 'standout' if they're appearing at other shows around the country and / or Europe, or have done RIAT before?

Now the Pakistan JF-17 at Radom, _that_ is stand-out ( oh they have the Romanian MiG-21 too... ). Even the Harrier at Farnborough showing that you can indeed pay to get unique items, instead of just sending-out hopeful invitations and shrugging when nothing comes back.

I mean it's good to get excited by RIAT's line-up but let's not go into super-hyped mode, at least not until Blue Impulse are announced. Not everyone renews FRIAT automatically and at the current level of participation myself and others I know will probably try a European show next year instead of the one in Gloucestershire.

Maybe because the Rafale pair haven’t done RIAT before. :whistle:

And as for “let’s not go into super-hyped mode”, do you really have a problem with people being excited about something? Lighten up. Some people are just easier to please than people who need harriers, JF-17s, Blue impulse AND the amazing lineup we already have.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Tmyers123 wrote: It will be one of the best shows in a while this year.

It still has time but as it stands, 2017 was a better, more varied show. It's probably on a par with 2016 at present which was still a great show.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Tmyers123 wrote:
G67 wrote:

How are they 'standout' if they're appearing at other shows around the country and / or Europe, or have done RIAT before?

Now the Pakistan JF-17 at Radom, _that_ is stand-out ( oh they have the Romanian MiG-21 too... ). Even the Harrier at Farnborough showing that you can indeed pay to get unique items, instead of just sending-out hopeful invitations and shrugging when nothing comes back.

Maybe because the Rafale pair haven’t done RIAT before. :whistle:

And as for “let’s not go into super-hyped mode”, do you really have a problem with people being excited about something? Lighten up. Some people are just easier to please than people who need harriers, JF-17s, Blue impulse AND the amazing lineup we already have.

Think the JF-17 hasn’t been officially confirmed as yet ,but the SU-25 and SU-27 from Ukrainian have /)

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

I understand where some people are coming from. The A400 i can’t get excited for as i’ve seen it at every RIAT since 2010. The ones i get most excited over are the types i’ve never seen before or that are rarely ever seen. Mig-21 is the main example. As is the static Sentinel. Something in the flying like a Su-24 or something from India/ Japan (though very very unlikely) will take this from a good show to a great show. Or maybe thats the alcohol talking :grin:

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Airshowhammer wrote:I understand where some people are coming from. The A400M i can’t get excited for as i’ve seen it at every RIAT since 2010. The ones i get most excited over are the types i’ve never seen before or that are rarely ever seen. Mig-21 is the main example. As is the static Sentinel. Something in the flying like a Su-24 or something from India/ Japan (though very very unlikely) will take this from a good show to a great show. Or maybe thats the alcohol talking :grin:

It’s a great show already in my opinion, but i am quite easily pleased to be honest :grin: I’m really looking forward to the static display this year as there are some quality additions, with more to come. And the flying display will be even better than it already is come mid July, and I’m happy with it already. July 14th can’t come soon enough for me :yahoo:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Meh!!

Bring back the MiG-29 OVT.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Habu

Post by Habu »

Brevet Cable wrote:Meh!!

Bring back the MiG-29 OVT.

Wish I'd seen that display in real life ; Really nice paint job and stupidly impressive manoeuvres .

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

I does seem like the people making the ‘this year is the same as last year’ comments are the same people wishing for a F-22 or Ukrainian SU-27. Ironic much? :tumbleweed:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

If only all air forces could swap their aircraft with another on January 1st every year, say the biggest 100 air arms on a large rota system, we'd never get this problem. :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

harkins

Post by harkins »

Traveller wrote:
harkins wrote:

Not sure I fully get your point but I guess you're saying that the presence of aircraft from those countries at past Tattoos mean that this year isn't a good airshow?

Your dismissal of the French Navy pair & air force solo Rafales and of the various F-16s gives the impression that you live in Leeuwarden and have a holiday home in Landivisiau. If you really think that the only thing of interest at RIAT2018 is a Mig-21 then you've probably got four options; give it a miss and put the money towards a trip to Cheongju or Radom, find a new hobby, build a time-machine or organise your own airshow.

I do admit that it is somewhat subjective and as I am stuck in an office Monday to Friday in a part of the country where I don't think you could be much further from a military airfield and most of my leave is used for family holidays (although I'm lucky to get a few days to myself in Gloucestershire) and therefore am happy to see ten F-16s. Perhaps you do live near an active airbase and perhaps your user name indicates that you travel the world visiting airbases and going to airshows and if that's the case I suppose I can see why you'd find RIAT boring.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Heh. I remember rocking up at my first RIAT. I was amazed by things like the F-16, which I had never seen in the flesh before, or likewise the Transalls, or a KC-135, or a C-17, or the LN Eagles, or the Polish Bryza.

Halcyon days.

Familiarity does indeed breed contempt. That's human nature. It's ok to not be enthralled by the Jordanian Falcons, or the Belgian F-16, or the Patrulla Aguila, or whatever. It'd be stupid for people (and some on here are coming close) to force people to insist that everything is amazing and "omg best RIAT ever" until next year when *that's* the best RIAT ever and so on. It's ok to be a bit "meh" about something you once found interesting, but you've seen a hundred times. The first time you taste honey is always the sweetest it'll ever taste.

Perhaps what's not ok, is (and I see other people doing this on here) making your personal boredom other people's problem. There are plenty of others that will love the stuff you find boring, and likewise, there are plenty of others who will yawn and go for a mooch around the static at something you might find fantastically rare and interesting and exciting.

There seems to be a lack of ability to put "I" before things these days. Instead of "I'm not that excited by what's announced" it is stated as "RIAT is not exciting this year". "It's not worth the money to me this year" becomes "RIAT is charging too much this year". "I've seen it all before" becomes "RIAT hasn't secured anything new". The "me" part of the equation isn't always implied. Personal opinion is oft just stated as a fact for everyone.

Someone who thinks a RIAT is a bit sub-par on a particular year might be different to someone who goes for the first time and thinks it's great.

As always, before anyone tries, there's always a grey area and considerable overlap. Some things are indeed just objective fact, and should be stated as such.

purplevulcan9

Post by purplevulcan9 »

Hi all,

I've been stalking this forum on and off for a few months and thought I might jump in and ask a few "basic" questions, if I may?
-Based on previous years, what has the traffic been like in terms of getting in and out?
-Are there any things that new visitors to RIAT should be aware of beforehand?
-Would a 300mm lens be acceptable for photography of the flying displays? (I'm not in a position to shell out a substantial chunk of money on a new lens- bearing in mind that I had done last year's Cosford airshow with a 55mm lens!)
-Edit: Also, who or what is DBH? (what does it stand for?)

It'll be my first visit to RIAT this year (going on the Saturday) and I'm personally quite excited in particular by the modern fast jets (F-16, F-18, Typhoons and Gripens- not forgetting the Mig-21!) and a few other notable items (F-35 and A400). My local show is Cosford and although it's a great event, which I am looking forward to tremendously, it's the fast jets which interest me- jets which RIAT appears to have plenty of!

Now, all I'm waiting for is an F-35b flying display to be officially added to the Confirmed Aircraft list! :P

Best wishes.
Sam

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

purplevulcan9 wrote:Hi all,

I've been stalking this forum on and off for a few months and thought I might jump in and ask a few "basic" questions, if I may?
-Based on previous years, what has the traffic been like in terms of getting in and out?
-Are there any things that new visitors to RIAT should be aware of beforehand?
-Would a 300mm lens be acceptable for photography of the flying displays? (I'm not in a position to shell out a substantial chunk of money on a new lens- bearing in mind that I had done last year's Cosford airshow with a 55mm lens!)

Of course you may - though if you haven't already, the Air Tattoo website will have a lot of FAQs which will help you out.

- for what it is, and where it is, traffic is usually fine. On the whole it tends to fare better than most Cosford shows, so if you can tolerate that, the traffic at Fairford will be a doddle. It depends on what route you take but subject to any *touch wood* issue on the day causing congestion, it's not that bad. Just follow signs and directions, and don't assume you know best and trundle off a lane that looks a bit quieter.
- difficult to answer that. Depends on your own preferences/circumstances etc. How long's a piece of string? Overall, standard stuff; be prepared to walk a lot, and it's difficult to take everything all in. Keep yourself hydrated, don't go somewhere that's clearly not public, and if budget is an issue, take your own food perhaps? Enjoy it!
- a 300mm will be ok, but you'll find shortcomings. Literally. It's good for take-off/landing shots, and parts of the flying that are close to the crowd, but there'll be times when you would want more of a reach. Again, if you have budget issues, stick with the 300mm and you'll be alright. Perhaps in the future you can progress to a lens with a bit more reach. But plenty of people on here have taken lenses with a max of 300mm at their disposal and come away with perfectly acceptable results.

CJS

Post by CJS »

I see some pillock from the Original Nutters FB group has been trying a bit of airshow organising on DBH's behalf :wall: :wall:

Comments have been turned off by the group's mods, but this is the text of his original post - some people are just idiots aren't they? I do hope he's not a UKARian!

"I messaged the A10 demo team last week asking to please send the team to RIAT,They replied saying DBH have to ask them through there headquarters who then approve,So this weekend I messaged RIAT they say about the way the invite Nations,So I fowarded on one of the last replies from A10 team to DBH saying team needs to be asked? You never know summat might happen?"

Sorry, just felt like sharing some Monday morning silliness - probably should have posted it in the angry thread!
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Some people are very stupid
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

MarkEstus

Post by MarkEstus »

CJS wrote:I see some pillock from the Original Nutters FB group has been trying a bit of airshow organising on DBH's behalf :wall: :wall:

Comments have been turned off by the group's mods, but this is the text of his original post - some people are just idiots aren't they? I do hope he's not a UKARian!

"I messaged the A10 demo team last week asking to please send the team to RIAT,They replied saying DBH have to ask them through there headquarters who then approve,So this weekend I messaged RIAT they say about the way the invite Nations,So I fowarded on one of the last replies from A10 team to DBH saying team needs to be asked? You never know summat might happen?"

Sorry, just felt like sharing some Monday morning silliness - probably should have posted it in the angry thread!

This makes me extremely angry! Because if they were going to come they may just have gone off the idea thanks to some idiot. I do hate that group
Admin of RAF Fairford/Brize Spotters - https://www.facebook.com/groups/332375753559900/

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Brains of Britain :dizzy:

On another note at least we’ll get to see the F-35 take off twice!

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

CJS wrote:I see some pillock from the Original Nutters FB group has been trying a bit of airshow organising on DBH's behalf :wall: :wall:

Oh dear Christ on a tricycle... :facepalm: :wall: :claypole:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Oh dear Christ on a tricycle... :facepalm: :wall: :claypole:[/quote]

i would have thought Christ would be on something more exotic than a tricycle? anyone on facebook contacted the Vatican to see if we can get a flyby? :biggrin:
Got to love Russianhardware

harkins

Post by harkins »

Nicely summed up Tom and on the back of your post I apologise for my slightly uppity post in response to Traveller's post. It is subjective and everyone has a right to feel about it as they do.

I am almost Jekyll and Hyde about RIAT myself.

On some days I look at RIAT 2018 and think it is overloaded with the more frequently seen jets like F-16s, Typhoons and Gripens, the total number of aircraft is (at present) down by quite a lot (around 75 short of last year) and when compared to Radom I think most enthusiasts would swap a few F-16's, a Hornet and a Gripen for their Su,27, Su-25, JF-17 and one of their Mig-29s and the A109 for a Mi-24. I'd also swap the Swiss PC-7 team for their F-5 team any day. And don't get me started on GWDT!

On other days I think, we've got aircraft from almost 30 different countries including 17 fast jet displays, which is 17 more fast jet displays than I'd see without RIAT, a massive static park including almost the entire RAF inventory and the two big US bombers. We're getting a never to be repeated mass flypast from the RAF (plus other set pieces) and as a FRIAT ticket holder, a pretty good view of it all arriving, displaying (3x) and departing. And I am pretty confident that there will be one or two more eye-catching items added in the coming 5 weeks.

I suppose it boils down to remembering it's 2018 (not 1993) and just deciding if you want to pay and go or not. We don't have a divine right to see one of all the rarest aircraft from around the world and whilst DBH I am sure do everything they can, they ultimately have no control over what is sent to Fairford. Budgets and politics are likely the biggest factors and organising an airshow display is probably very different to shopping on HobbyLink Japan.