RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
rdchawk

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by rdchawk »

DBH - Douglas Bader House - RIAT HQ
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

‘We don’t have any more room in static would you like to do a flying display?’
‘Oui, oui’
Thats actually a brilliant addition. Rare & adds to the variety. Well done DBH. Flypast with the 2 navy Rafale M’s?
Last edited by Airshowhammer on Fri 15 Jun 2018, 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

purplevulcan9 wrote:And is there any chance or possibility of the Swedish Air Force Heritage Flight coming over (whether that be on static or flying)?

Not forgetting the Starfighter. Great display at Aalborg recently. :love:

Whatever happens, the show looks very good and everyone involved should be very proud with what they’ve achieved. :up:

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

There's still a few semi-realistic things out there that could feasibly attend - number one on that list would be the F-104. I don't know what the legal position is regarding a flying display, but even a static attendance would be most welcome.

kylejay97

Post by kylejay97 »

I Might be Missing something or looking into something too much, but looking at the invited list:

US Air Force Special Operations Command
US Air Forces Europe,

both listed still as invited but there is a link to view more about them, which only seems to be with confirmed nations/arms, am I reading into this too much or can we expect confirmation?
I like planes I guess?

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

The Starfighter, I believe, will never fly in the UK as it doesn't have the proper support from the manufacturer.
The Swedish Historic Flight are unlikely to perform in the UK until the DA issues are resolved and the cost of bringing them over is astronomical (they appeared at Scampton as they were on their way to Jersey), and thus are unlikely to appear in the static.
The Atlantic II is a great addition to the flying. I'll believe it when I see it arrive but I must admit the French Navy do seem determined to get it over here one way or another.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

The arrival days this year are going to be impressive.

RiatMarketing

Post by RiatMarketing »

kylejay97 wrote:I Might be Missing something or looking into something too much, but looking at the invited list:

US Air Force Special Operations Command
US Air Forces Europe,

both listed still as invited but there is a link to view more about them, which only seems to be with confirmed nations/arms, am I reading into this too much or can we expect confirmation?

Slipped through the net - already confirmed and now updated to reflect that.
Air Tattoo Marketing Team

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

The Baron wrote:The Starfighter, I believe, will never fly in the UK as it doesn't have the proper support from the manufacturer.
The Swedish Historic Flight are unlikely to perform in the UK until the DA issues are resolved and the cost of bringing them over is astronomical (they appeared at Scampton as they were on their way to Jersey), and thus are unlikely to appear in the static.
The Atlantic II is a great addition to the flying. I'll believe it when I see it arrive but I must admit the French Navy do seem determined to get it over here one way or another.

That is so strange about the Starfighter. I don't understand what is so unusual about the UK that they don't mind it flying in Norway or Denmark, but for some reason we have a problem with it here. How times change!

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

MiG_Eater wrote:
The Baron wrote:The Starfighter, I believe, will never fly in the UK as it doesn't have the proper support from the manufacturer.

That is so strange about the Starfighter. I don't understand what is so unusual about the UK that they don't mind it flying in Norway or Denmark, but for some reason we have a problem with it here. How times change!

Same rules which prevent a flying Lightning in the UK.

Much as I love the F-104 and would absolutely rejoice in seeing one power over the Fairford threshold, I do have some sympathy with the CAA's stance on this one, given the Starfighter's woeful safety record and the notorious complexity of the type.

I travel to at least a couple of continental European shows each year, so all being well I daresay I'll catch it sooner or later.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

That being said - does that mean the European aviation regulators are being foolhardy? I'm just wondering why the UK has a different stance to some of those on the continent.

Furthermore - wasn't the Starfighter's poor safety record mainly due to a few controllable factors relating to the German ones? I may be very wrong about this but I thought it was a contribution of a type that was inappropriate as a low level attack aircraft being used as such, and also training being carried out in perfect conditions over the the US, with a sudden unpreparedness for Europe's clag causing disorientation and accidents.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

MiG_Eater wrote:That being said - does that mean the European aviation regulators are being foolhardy? I'm just wondering why the UK has a different stance to some of those on the continent.

Furthermore - wasn't the Starfighter's poor safety record mainly due to a few controllable factors relating to the German ones? I may be very wrong about this but I thought it was a contribution of a type that was inappropriate as a low level attack aircraft being used as such, and also training being carried out in perfect conditions over the the US, with a sudden unpreparedness for Europe's clag causing disorientation and accidents.

I believe those were all contributory factors, yes, although its unusual configuration (the tiny, stubby wings, basically) meant that it handled unlike any other aircraft, and also gave it a terrifyingly fast landing speed... think I read somewhere that the F-104 had the third fastest landing speed of any aircraft in history, behind only the SR-71 and the Space Shuttle!

:shock: :hide:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Skyflash wrote:...think I read somewhere that the F-104 had the third fastest landing speed of any aircraft in history, behind only the SR-71 and the Space Shuttle!

I vividly remember Sean Maffett stating that as the RSV F-104 landed at RIAT '99 :rock:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Wes_Howes wrote:
Skyflash wrote:...think I read somewhere that the F-104 had the third fastest landing speed of any aircraft in history, behind only the SR-71 and the Space Shuttle!

I vividly remember Sean Maffett stating that as the RSV F-104 landed at RIAT '99 :rock:

I think he read it on Wikipedia, so it must (or might) be right. :up:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

harkins

Post by harkins »

Delighted about the Atlantique 2 being upgraded to a flying display - although it's fair to say that it is definitely in the high risk of a no show category - so wait and see.

I'm still curious as to how with only three weeks to go until it starts there are 96 invited air arms that seemingly haven’t responded either way. You’d have thought that the Chilean Navy for example would have sent an email by now saying ‘sorry but we’ve got other plans that week’.

Also, looking at the confirmed aircraft list, is there anything that we're really surprised to see is missing so far? I'd go for the Danish Challenger as that always seems to be there.
Last edited by harkins on Fri 15 Jun 2018, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Irish C-295/ Japanese KC-767/ Textron Scorpion?

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

capercaillie wrote:
Wes_Howes wrote:

Sean had Wikipedia in 99? :shock:

harkins

Post by harkins »

It's weird how the JASDF 767 has been so often in recent years that it has become one of those aircraft you almost expect to be announced. The absence of QinetiQ is a bit of a surprise, but I guess their collection of UK based aircraft is pretty small now.

The Hungarian An-26 is another aircraft that is no stranger to RIAT and would be a welcome addition again, especially as it would be yet another country on the list.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

capercaillie wrote:
Wes_Howes wrote:

:grin:

Now that someone has mentioned it, I'm pretty sure I got that from Maffett's commentary to the RIAT '99 DVD.

st24

Post by st24 »

harkins wrote:
The Hungarian An-26 is another aircraft that is no stranger to RIAT and would be a welcome addition again, especially as it would be yet another country on the list.

Hungary is on the list- the SAC C-17 is registered to that country even though its a NATO asset, same as Luxembourg make it on the list thanks to the E-3; when it can be bothered to turn up...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Skyflash wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:That being said - does that mean the European aviation regulators are being foolhardy? I'm just wondering why the UK has a different stance to some of those on the continent.

I believe those were all contributory factors, yes, although its unusual configuration (the tiny, stubby wings, basically) meant that it handled unlike any other aircraft, and also gave it a terrifyingly fast landing speed... think I read somewhere that the F-104 had the third fastest landing speed of any aircraft in history, behind only the SR-71 and the Space Shuttle!

An upcoming UKAR interview will dispel that idea ;)
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

harkins

Post by harkins »

st24 wrote:
harkins wrote:The Hungarian An-26 is another aircraft that is no stranger to RIAT and would be a welcome addition again, especially as it would be yet another country on the list.

Hungary is on the list- the SAC C-17 is registered to that country even though its a NATO asset, same as Luxembourg make it on the list thanks to the E-3; when it can be bothered to turn up...

A tad tenuous for me but, fair enough if that's how DBH count participating countries.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Wissam24 wrote:
Skyflash wrote:

An upcoming UKAR interview will dispel that idea ;)

Oh well, I await correction then! :grin:

CJS

Post by CJS »

harkins wrote:It's weird how the JASDF 767 has been so often in recent years that it has become one of those aircraft you almost expect to be announced. The absence of QinetiQ is a bit of a surprise, but I guess their collection of UK based aircraft is pretty small now.

True, but they still usually make an appearance.

As others have said, the Japanese have something or other rules-wise which prevents them from announcing overseas participation more than a month out, so if it's going to happen, it couldn't have done before about now anyway. Fingers crossed they do make it, and bring the drummers with them again :music:
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

AngryAndyPandy

Post by AngryAndyPandy »

Have RIAT ever had a UAV of any kind fly into the show? I'm aware of the Scan Eagle flying in 2006 I think (Happy to be corrected) but I'm thinking something larger. Is it something we could expect to see more of at airshows as the technology progresses and air forces take deliveries?