RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
MiG_Eater

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by MiG_Eater »

As an aside - does anybody else get annoyed by the way 'Drone' (ie: an autonomous aircraft) is now synonymous with remotely piloted aircraft?

Apart from anything it's worth having this distinction for when the important moral questions about 'killer robots' arise.

verreli

Post by verreli »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:No, it will be the company owned YBC-01 aircraft.

Along with the KC-390, M346, A400 (flying) and 3 Gulfstreams, this is perhaps a Farnborough dividend.

CJS

Post by CJS »

verreli wrote:

Along with the KC-390, M346, A400M (flying) and 3 Gulfstreams, this is perhaps a Farnborough dividend.

Hardly think the A-400M can be said to be 'a Farnborough dividend' as it's displayed every year since what, 2012?? , and we had an M-346 last year in the flying display and a Gulfstream on static (although granted not 3).

Possibly the KC-390 is coming with FB in mind, but not the others.
Last edited by CJS on Tue 26 Jun 2018, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

verreli wrote:

Along with the KC-390, M346, A400M (flying) and 3 Gulfstreams, this is perhaps a Farnborough dividend.

3 Gulfstreams? Website says company will be sending a type from the G5 or G6 range. So presently one of three to attend. :smile:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

verreli

Post by verreli »

capercaillie wrote:
verreli wrote:

3 Gulfstreams? Website says company will be sending a type from the G5 or G6 range. So presently one of three to attend. :smile:

Yes, I think I misread the G450/550/650 listing. One, not three. The M346 does come from Leonardo though rather than the Italian airforce.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

verreli wrote:
capercaillie wrote:
verreli wrote:

Yes, I think I misread the G450/550/650 listing. One, not three. The M346 does come from Leonardo though rather than the Italian airforce.

True, but as Chris says we had an AF one display and a company one on static last year without Farnborough. :smile:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

Kevyboy1979

Post by Kevyboy1979 »

verreli wrote:
capercaillie wrote:
verreli wrote:

There is a T-346A coming from the Italian Airforce this year as well as the M-346 from Leonardo.

effects

Post by effects »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:
effects wrote:"The civilian aircraft, which is certificated and registered through the US regulator the Federal Aviation Administration, has been issued permission to operate within UK airspace by the UK CAA."
Could that mean it is the RAF's first just civvy registered for ease of clearance, presume it will go on to FIA.

No, it will be the company owned YBC-01 aircraft.

Cheers for that.
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

Gripenfury

Post by Gripenfury »

Has it happened before in recent years that the regular thursday participation updates have ceased this early (June 14th this year :roll: )?
Last edited by Gripenfury on Tue 26 Jun 2018, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AngryAndyPandy

Post by AngryAndyPandy »

Gripenfury wrote:Has it happened before in recent years that the regular thursday participation updates have seized this early (June 14th this year :roll: )?

I don't believe so. However, bare in mind the updates started on the 11th January and have been thick and fast since then, whereas last year the updates started over a month later (around 12th Feb I think). :smile:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Gripenfury wrote:Has it happened before in recent years that the regular thursday participation updates have seized this early (June 14th this year :roll: )?

Seized up?
Seized the day?
Seized the moral high ground?
Seized the opportunity?

:grin:

sorry...

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

CJS wrote:
Hardly think the A-400M can be said to be 'a Farnborough dividend' as it's displayed every year since what, 2012?? , and we had an M-346 last year in the flying display and a Gulfstream on static (although granted not 3).

Speaking totally from memory, but 2010 was the debut at RIAT for the A400M. Mightily impressive, given that its first flight was only at the very back-end of 2009. It's been in attendance at RIAT every year since, Farnborough or no. The only "blip" year I recall was 2012, where it didn't display, due to a fault discovered with the gearbox a week before the show. But IIRC it still did a flypast of sorts. In any event, it was at the show. As "new" aircraft go, I think the machine is very popular and already really well-liked in the UK due, in considerable part, to the effort Airbus put in year on year to display the machine at RIAT. They nailed the PR on that one, instead of keeping it super secret and under wraps until delivery.

M-346 was present on static last year, but the flying display was by an in-service Italian Air Force T-346.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

CJS wrote:

Seized up?
Seized the day?
Seized the opportunity?

sorry...

That's the problem with commenting on spelling; the miscreant corrects it and you look a right twonk. :tongue2:
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

CJS

Post by CJS »

iainpeden wrote:
CJS wrote:

Seized up?
Seized the day?
Seized the opportunity?

sorry...

That's the problem with commenting on spelling; the miscreant corrects it and you look a right twonk. :tongue2:

Not if you make sure you quote their original post in your pedantic reply. :grin: :tongue:

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

capercaillie wrote:
True, but as Chris says we had an AF one display and a company one on static last year without Farnborough. :smile:

I wonder how Trump felt about that... :wink:

Irishairfan

Post by Irishairfan »

Qatari herc been added to the Yeovilton line up today. Wonder could it be added to RIAT shortly.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Irishairfan wrote:Qatari herc been added to the Yeovilton line up today. Wonder could it be added to RIAT shortly.

Just because it's confirmed for Yeovilton doesn't mean it will confirm for RIAT too. Realistically I'd say it's still no more likely than this time yesterday.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

The Baron wrote:
Irishairfan wrote:Qatari herc been added to the Yeovilton line up today. Wonder could it be added to RIAT shortly.

Just because it's confirmed for Yeovilton doesn't mean it will confirm for RIAT too. Realistically I'd say it's still no more likely than this time yesterday.

And DBH have said they are releasing as and when updates now, so if it was coming they would have announced it. Unless they are waiting until Thursday because they have received a number of confirmations since Friday.

CJS

Post by CJS »

If the first part of your post is correct then the last part is unlikely, and vice versa :-)

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

CJS wrote:If the first part of your post is correct then the last part is unlikely, and vice versa :-)

Not really, if they’ve received a number of confirmations then they might as well release a normal Thursday update again instead of just a small update like the one from last Friday.

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

verreli wrote:

Not at all.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

I wonder if we’ll see any surprise arrivals like last year?

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

Airshowhammer wrote:I wonder if we’ll see any surprise arrivals like last year?

Yeah, German MiG-29's, Iranian Tomcats and Indian Jaguars! Oh wait, I've ruined the surprise. :grin:
Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

2019 shows:
Old Warden (Season Premiere)
RIAT (Thu, Sat, Mon)

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

Gripenjetphotos wrote:

Yeah, German MiG-29's, Iranian Tomcats and Indian Jaguars! Oh wait, I've ruined the surprise. :grin:

Typical, there is always one who wants to be first to get the information out. You have ruined it for everyone! :grin:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Gripenjetphotos wrote:

For god sake! I was waiting to be surprised looking through my viewfinder. Theres always one that can’t keep a FRIAT email to themselves! :wink: