RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
DeHav

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by DeHav »

That Frecce Tricolori display was incredible. Speechless.
Nikon D5300
Sigma 150-500 f/5.6-6.3
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6
Sigma 17-55 f/2.8
Nikon 35mm f/1.8

mafro987daboss

Post by mafro987daboss »

So has there been any word regarding potential rescheduling for the Atlantique and Mig-21 slots? I know the likelihood is that the display order will just move up without replacement but I'm hoping something can be done!

197cup

Post by 197cup »

I assume that’s the Flankers low show :grin: :shock:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

How awesome was that head on SU-27 pass thought he was coming into land on the crowdline! Just awesome! Made my hairs stand up.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

mafro987daboss wrote:So has there been any word regarding potential rescheduling for the Atlantique and Mig-21 slots? I know the likelihood is that the display order will just move up without replacement but I'm hoping something can be done!

There won't be but tbh the time was pretty well filled without anything being drafted in.

The flanker might have been low but crowdline bust of the day goes to the RAF Typhoon!

steveb23

Post by steveb23 »

Also a bit early... and one day out of four done.

I was disappointed today. Cancellations and weather cannot be helped at the end of the day but RIAT sets high standards, and for me the flying display had nothing new that really heightened my enthusiasm. The F35 and Flanker were highlights though.

How typical is it that after a few weeks of beautiful British weather there is a blip day where rain occurs and it happens just at the time of the show piece flypast. For me, that’s main reason I came to RIAT this weekend so am obviously gutted however know for well it can’t be helped. I do wonder if there is/was a backup plan and if there wasn’t whether members would agree there should have been to try again later in the weekend? - not that it helps anybody who only bought a Friday ticket.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Canadian Hornet was poor imo.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Canadian Hornet was very poor really.

but i'm rather startled by the general performances favouring agility and dropping high speed passes.
even the Flanker didnt do one, and t was left to the F-35, Mirage pair, and A couple of others.

Shame Canada didnt have it on their 'to do' list as it had just rained and the moisure spluff would have been great with possible a cone cloud too.

Sukhoi was the star. yesterday at proactice i thought... M-eh, today i thought the complete opposite, but worry that his 'performance' today might get him canned by the powers that be.
my word, you had to be there too see him coming oer totterdown almost on idle, slowly sinking, almost between the hangars, and then using those big beautiful engines to light up and pull up out of his sink rate. magnificant spectacle :worship:

Shame that a decent view could,not have been taken by the powers that be regarding the 50th flypast, as they were almost upon us and only needed 10 more minutes hold.
some disgruntled participating pilots i hear.

Altogether, today was a 7 out of 10. who onows what tomorrow may bring and i hope to god RIAT have something to pull out of their sleeve.

Kudos to the Australians too for trying their best and, as i write this, seemingly succeeding in getting here. Better a day late than not at all. Well done guys. :win:

Dave
Got to love Russianhardware

googlehead

Post by googlehead »

Is it me or was that a really poor display by the Reds today? Some of their movements were so loose for their high standards..

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Today was the first time in about 15 years I have been in on a show day rather than on the Monday. I thought organisation was flawless, even the traffic at 07:30. Disappointed by the flypast cancellation, saw it on Tuesday but wanted it with blue skies, not to be. Am I the only one disappointed by the RAF static, only 2 Typhoon and 2 Tornado, 1 Hawk, 2 Tucano, plus heavies. Has the flypasts had that big a effect on serviceability? I had hoped for a couple of aircraft from each squadron. Can't comment on the flying as didn't watch much of it (yes there is more to the show than the flying!). Had a good look in the MC-130, Osprey and the impressive C-2. A good day out but back to P&V Monday next year.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

googlehead wrote:Is it me or was that a really poor display by the Reds today? Some of their movements were so loose for their high standards..

Listening to their air-to-air they were really struggling to keep their formations and timings

sjc101

Post by sjc101 »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:Kudos to the Australians too for trying their best and, as i write this, seemingly succeeding in getting here. Better a day late than not at all. Well done guys. :win:

Dave

Australians have just touched down at RIAT. :clap:

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Easy route in today, compared with previous years weekend entry. Not sure how many tickets sold for today?

Very disappointed with the cancellation of the flypast. Highlight displays for me Coteaux Delta, the Swiss and Finnish F18. Nice to see the F35, but the gaps in the display were ludicrous??
Took a wander through the Kawasaki C2, nice looking aeroplane, but on the whole the static and the day Las a whole eft me a little underwhelmed. Looking forwards to tomorrow.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Huge respect to the Australians for coming. Although maybe they just took a fuel stop and had one too many Bahamas mamas on Wednesday night!

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

cg_341 wrote:
googlehead wrote:Is it me or was that a really poor display by the Reds today? Some of their movements were so loose for their high standards..

Listening to their air-to-air they were really struggling to keep their formations and timings

They were a bit messy today, put to shame by the quite fantastic Swiss team.

Also have to agree with Rob re: RAF static, I'd hoped for them to descend en masse with at least one example of each type, and multiple Typhoons and Tornados, but it wasn't meant to be. I'm happy that the Sentinel, E-3 and RC-135 made it.

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Aviation94 wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:
Aviation94 wrote:Well this f35 display is about as tight as a 90 year olds you know what!

Considering that i thought we were only getting 3 flypasts i thought it was rather impressive we got to feel the force of the F135 engine! :drool:

Not complaining. Agree it was a great noise and there were some tight turns. Just seemed a long time between manoeuvres with a lot of manoeuvring behind the crowd.

I thought it was rubbish, half the time it was in the next county
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

tankbuster wrote:
Aviation94 wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:
Aviation94 wrote:Well this f35 display is about as tight as a 90 year olds you know what!

Considering that i thought we were only getting 3 flypasts i thought it was rather impressive we got to feel the force of the F135 engine! :drool:

Not complaining. Agree it was a great noise and there were some tight turns. Just seemed a long time between manoeuvres with a lot of manoeuvring behind the crowd.

I thought it was rubbish, half the time it was in the next county

I got its initial climb from take off right in chest. Blimey it was loud!! :biggrin:

Jonnym

Post by Jonnym »

Considering I was expecting a couple of dedication passes and lots of pomp, I`ll totally take it... When it was in front of the crowd, it was top notch IMO.

Aviation94

Post by Aviation94 »

Back home after a really easy trip out via green route. That's the first time I've seen frecce tricolori and I have to say they were my highlight of the day. Flanker was a bit low over the hangers on it's slow pass. Horrible feeling in my stomach during that bit but apart from that a fantastic display. Although the f35's display was mostly behind us with a few long pauses between passes you're right about feeling it on the take off! Hopefully we'll get a f35b display is the coming years.
Canon 650d, Sigma 70-300mm, Kenko 1.4 dgx mc4 tc

Youtube: http://ow.ly/zhAed

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

All i pray is those crazy Ukrainians do the exact same tomorrow!

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

Had a fantastic day, was very very disappointed about the flypast cancellation as it was the reason i decided to attend today and not sat/sun but i soon got over it and enjoyed some excellent displays. Flanker and RAF Typhoon where awesome as was the marine rafales, Best BBMF display i have seen for years and the Vampires where nice to see. I thought the static was good but a bit light on fast jets but great to see and look inside the E-3 overall a nice selection of heavies the C 2, RC 135 and KC 10 looked fantastic.
So a pretty good day apart from the unfortunate cancellations and the very stealthy RAF flypast!!.
Will definitely be going again next year.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Very enjoyable day, it’s of course a disappointment the flypast was cancelled but given the weather forecast I was prepared for many of the afternoons displays to also be grounded but thankfully the showers and thunder stayed away.

Thought the F-35 had gone tech when it disappeared out of sight but then it appeared out of no where and damn that sound :smile: I did get a knot in my stomach though when the SU-27 was coming in slowly over the hangars but thankfully everything worked out ok but it looked far too close and certainly not something they will repeat.

captainfurious

Post by captainfurious »

I thought the same that Canadian F18 was poor at Yeovilton. The Swiss display was awesome. Today I thought Polish F16, Swiss F18, Rafale pair once they got into their groove and Italian Typhoon were all fabulous. Some amazing light conditions today really helped the displays especially the moody back drop for the Flanker. And yes, that low pass at Totterdown. I thank you sir.

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

Airshowhammer wrote:All i pray is those crazy Ukrainians do the exact same tomorrow!

I’m sure you really don’t.

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

Andyperkins wrote: I did get a knot in my stomach though when the SU-27 was coming in slowly over the hangars but thankfully everything worked out ok but it looked far too close and certainly not something they will repeat.

Thought the same it did look very low but I can’t really judge as I was far away, left of show center. I was under the impression he intended to perform a slow high aoa pass along the display line like many aircraft do but got too low as he lined up for it and and aborted the manoeuvre....not something you see every day! Loved the two tailslides though.

Mirages, Swiss stuff, RAF typhoon, solo turk and Czech gripen were awesome as well. The Reds were disappointing and rather distant unfortunately. Lovely static with lots of heavies, I appreciate they put dark falcon in the static too since he did not fly today. Roll on tomorrow!