RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
borismorris

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by borismorris »

banksy wrote:Loved the show as per usual but a tad disappointed that the B2 only did a single pass.

I do wonder why that would only be the original plan when last year we had more than that, and that whilst holding it would've given about 5 times the single pass outside of the show area.

That was the only negative for me in what was another great line up.

Well done RIAT.

It wasnt the original plan, If it was then the tower wouldn't have been asking if it was a single pass or if he was coming back through.

I've no issue with keeping a tight schedule but when its a show stopper like clearly the B2 is then I think they really ought to make the most of it. The time and fuel spent out over Oxfordshire could feasibly have been spent over Fairford.
Was anyone even watching the Chinook?

alans895

Post by alans895 »

How can they bump the Osprey, when we don't have it displaying Sunday, and Friday's display was in bad light? Very disappointed!

Jonnym

Post by Jonnym »

borismorris wrote:
I've no issue with keeping a tight schedule but when its a show stopper like clearly the B2 is then I think they really ought to make the most of it. The time and fuel spent out over Oxfordshire could feasibly have been spent over Fairford.

I agree on this - didn't seem like it was a pre-planned single pass from comms and don't scrub the Chinook (it's their party after all) but keep THAT in the hold. I guess there's still a timing challenge but I guess I was really hoping for the topside pass we had last year, but with far better lighting and I don't want to come across as ungrateful as a B2 is a B2 after all!

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Jonnym wrote:
borismorris wrote:

I agree on this - didn't seem like it was a pre-planned single pass from comms and don't scrub the Chinook (it's their party after all) but keep THAT in the hold. I guess there's still a timing challenge but I guess I was really hoping for the topside pass we had last year, but with far better lighting and I don't want to come across as ungrateful as a B2 is a B2 after all!

They were visible from FRIAT circling for at least 15 minutes - did they fly it across for a single (high) pass and then back again? Seems quite a commitment if so, for which we should be grateful to see it, but a missed opportunity given its time in the locality holding.

Costar1198

Post by Costar1198 »

Well where do I start? Wow what a day... best RIAT I've been to hands down despite feeling a tad unwell beforehand due to stress. Was nice to get a fast pass from the Tonka one last time, and an F35 to hover. Oh and the B2, which since I had no data only realised during the Chinook display and then got really over excited... Ah well. Was surprised to see Zeus at the start as opposed to Soloturk, not sure what happened there as we only entered the grounds 5 mins before it took off. I'm trying to find a fault to evenly balance this small review, but apart from some items being excruciatingly dragging (Aguila and possibly the PC7s), and the Osprey being capped, I simply can't. A truly wonderful way to celebrate RAF100, congrats to all that made this happen (and so well aswell).

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

st24 wrote:
Aviation94 wrote:
st24 wrote:
G-CVIX wrote:
DerekGM6 wrote:Well , the Frecce today . Awesome. .

When they can do their high show, in my opinion they are the best in the world. The early evening light adds so much atmosphere too. Just perfect.

Did they do the 9 ship cross over?? Didn't yesterday..

When you say 9 ship cross over is that the one after the split at the top of the loop? If so they did do it yesterday.

No, the 9ship cross over, i. e. When 9 individuals cross at one point after a bomb burst. If anyone saw the complete buffoonery of the safety "cone zone" in PnV East yesterday due to the Frecce possibly coming within 2 miles of the area only to have them trash the place during the aforementioned manoeuvre then you'll understand.

Does that 9-ship crossover require very clear conditions, as has been mentioned, they didn't do it today, Sat (or Friday) but did perform it on Thurs (or whenever it was). Otherwise it was the Frecce's full display. One of the best team displays around - action and excitement all the time. The crowd seemed to like it.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

IP1960 wrote:
Jonnym wrote:
borismorris wrote:

They were visible from FRIAT circling for at least 15 minutes - did they fly it across for a single (high) pass and then back again? Seems quite a commitment if so, for which we should be grateful to see it, but a missed opportunity given its time in the locality holding.

Maybe the B1 will do a few more passes Sunday.

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

Costar1198 wrote:Well where do I start? Wow what a day... best RIAT I've been to hands down despite feeling a tad unwell beforehand due to stress. Was nice to get a fast pass from the Tonka one last time, and an F35 to hover. Oh and the B2, which since I had no data only realised during the Chinook display and then got really over excited... Ah well. Was surprised to see Zeus at the start as opposed to Soloturk, not sure what happened there as we only entered the grounds 5 mins before it took off. I'm trying to find a fault to evenly balance this small review, but apart from some items being excruciatingly dragging (Aguila and possibly the PC7s), and the Osprey being capped, I simply can't. A truly wonderful way to celebrate RAF100, congrats to all that made this happen (and so well aswell).

Poor old Patrulla Aguila! - their display does go on for a long time, I could sense the crowd were getting a bit bored (people start sitting down or start fiddling around looking for the suncream etc) despite their very enthusiastic commentator! I lost count how many times he asked us to put our hands together.

Costar1198

Post by Costar1198 »

paulb1973 wrote:
Costar1198 wrote:Well where do I start? Wow what a day... best RIAT I've been to hands down despite feeling a tad unwell beforehand due to stress. Was nice to get a fast pass from the Tonka one last time, and an F35 to hover. Oh and the B2, which since I had no data only realised during the Chinook display and then got really over excited... Ah well. Was surprised to see Zeus at the start as opposed to Soloturk, not sure what happened there as we only entered the grounds 5 mins before it took off. I'm trying to find a fault to evenly balance this small review, but apart from some items being excruciatingly dragging (Aguila and possibly the PC7s), and the Osprey being capped, I simply can't. A truly wonderful way to celebrate RAF100, congrats to all that made this happen (and so well aswell).

Poor old Patrulla Aguila! - their display does go on for a long time, I could sense the crowd were getting a bit bored (people start sitting down or start fiddling around looking for the suncream etc) despite their very enthusiastic commentator! I lost count how many times he asked us to put our hands together.

I did like the commentator yes, very enthusiastic, the team aswell wonderful, but for the time it goes on and with such limited jets (is it me or do those aviojets seem a bit slow compared to the likes of the AT339 which is in the same class) it does start to drag a bit. But again yes well done to the commentator for trying his best to keep us awake, think he made us chuckle a bit aswell at times, for me it was just the heat, if it wasn't for that I would have happily sat and watched it enthusiastically the whole way through.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

B2 ..blink and you would have missed it !

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

I have so far seen just the one item flying - the RAAF wedge tail, and that was not even at the show at least I have seen that.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

My first time seeing it, and was honestly deafened by the F-35B when it went into the hover. Never heard anything as loud. :shock:

Habu

Post by Habu »

Just home after the Saturday show, which was amazing, probably the best airshow day I've ever had, with a really wide variety of acts and a perfect sky backdrop (clear blue with a scattering of summer clouds). As others have said, Frecce were fantastic, aerial theatre which you can enjoy even if you have zero interest in the aircraft themselves . Loved the Jordanian Falcons (I don't understand the pasting they get on UKAR) whose display was wide open and graceful , with something always happening. couteau delta were really impressive with a powerful, sweeping precision. I could go on but I'd better not fill the page; I enjoyed all of it.
F35 hoover and B2 flypast were very nice surprises.
The vast and varied static with so many open aircraft was incredible and surely unsurpassed this year.
Lastly, the Martin Baker Meteor, a beautiful and pioneering 1949 airframe, still working and still earning it's keep, aviation heaven.
I did go on a bit , sorry.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Glad to hear that it was such a great display today, have to admit I am super bummed I missed the BBMF seven aircraft formation and the Lancaster/Tornado/F-35 flypast but those are the risks you take when you decide to only do a single day and book 8 months in advance lol

I assume that today the SU-27 stayed away from the hangars for his slow pass? and it’s a shame the Osprey was cancelled as I have always found that a very unique type.

soloturk

Post by soloturk »

If anyone is wondering (I doubt it?) The B-2 was 82-1068 Spirit of New York, don't know what the F-15 serials were though, if anyone knows them could you post them, that would be appreciated :smile:

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Costar1198 wrote:Well where do I start? Wow what a day... best RIAT I've been to hands down despite feeling a tad unwell beforehand due to stress. Was nice to get a fast pass from the Tonka one last time, and an F35 to hover. Oh

Hi Costar. Glad to hear you managed to get to the show and then enjoyed it. I suffer with Anxiety and Stress too. 2_years ago i probably wouldnt have got on the motorway to the show.,let alone contemplating walking for hours round. Despite doing so well and proud of myself yesterday, i still spent ages cursing not seeing a flypast. The joys of battling against the negatives eh...

So well done Coster, and anybody else who found going to the show a challenge. :clap:

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

What a show! Fast jet heaven in the sky and a static filled with heavies, awesome! The weather obviously played ball perfectly, but resulting in hard shooting conditions with the heat haze at times - will definitely not complain about blue skies though. Getting in and out was almost flawless on the blue route and that without setting off as early as many adviced on here. I appreciated and enjoyed all of the flying, some thoughts:
- Swiss and Finnish Hornets - awesome and tightly flown, Canadian could not keep up with them but the colour scheme looked incredible.
- F-16: Belgian and Solo Turk (Friday) were the most impressive, Polish and Greek not as dynamic but still great to see.
- Flanker: a bit disappointing and distant today but obviously got some input from the air ops (or whatever it is called) after the crazy Friday show
- BBMF: great formations but expected to see a Lanc topside pass after seeing so many great shots of other venues (taken from outside probably?)
- Lightning: more flypasts than expected, heritage a bit too far away but wow that thing is loud. Great to see one in the hover also. I guess we‘ll see brilliant displays of this jet in the future.
- Swedish Gipen: very precise, a joy to watch
- Reds: honestly, having not seen them for a few years time they used to be better and much closer in my memory. Enjoyed them anyway.
- Aguilas: kinda like them but understandable that their crowd impact is somehow low key with those silent Aviojets, even the over the top commentary can’t change that.
- Frecce: zero waiting time in between the manoeuvres, a joy o watch in that light. Agree that their high show may be the best aerobatic team action around. And yes they still fly the vertical break and 9 jet single crossover in the 2018 season, guess they had to bin it due to some safety reason or the length of the crowdline as at least 2 of the jets fly over the outside crowd areas in the crossover usually.
- B2: superb surprise but expected more than one straight flyby after seeing it circling in the distance for 15 mins
- Spartan: very tame compared to previous years. Heard the speaker explaining that realistic real scenario manoeuvres are more appreciated by the crowd but I don’t buy it.... loops, rolls and a knife edge pass have always been such a crowd pleaser. Would be interesting to know the real reason for the change of routine.
- Typhoon: RAF superb and clearly better than the Italian one, surprised to see the IAF displaying one at all this season after last years tragedy.

Enough for now, I wish everyone a great RIAT tomorrow and a big thank you to DBH and all involved for a fantastic show on Friday and Saturday!

Hog

Post by Hog »

Loved every minute today, fab show, only disappointment was that it wasn't a B1 instead of the B2 roll on next year.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Mr Benn wrote:
Costar1198 wrote:Well where do I start? Wow what a day... best RIAT I've been to hands down despite feeling a tad unwell beforehand due to stress. Was nice to get a fast pass from the Tonka one last time, and an F35 to hover. Oh

Hi Costar. Glad to hear you managed to get to the show and then enjoyed it. I suffer with Anxiety and Stress too. 2_years ago i probably wouldnt have got on the motorway to the show.,let alone contemplating walking for hours round. Despite doing so well and proud of myself yesterday, i still spent ages cursing not seeing a flypast. The joys of battling against the negatives eh...

So well done Coster, and anybody else who found going to the show a challenge. :clap:

Its stress and anxiety and panic attacks that stop me from getting to the show, made worse by not having a circle of friends or family to go with or who have transport, as self propelled public transport is not possible these days.

197cup

Post by 197cup »

Has the Brazilian KC-390 departed?

st24

Post by st24 »

Anyone going today won't see the special scheme Canadian Hornet, its having maintenance so spare jet will fly.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

st24 wrote:Anyone going today won't see the special scheme Canadian Hornet, its having maintenance so spare jet will fly.

Did it cut short yesterday?
Seemed a truncated routine compared with Friday.

Thomas Beting

Post by Thomas Beting »

Is Couteau Delta selling patches this year? If so where?

Tom

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

197cup wrote:Has the Brazilian KC-390 departed?

Departing at 09:44 apparently.

st24 wrote:Anyone going today won't see the special scheme Canadian Hornet, its having maintenance so spare jet will fly.

Amazed at how happy I am at the prospect of seeing a demo in a “standard” jet :grin:

madstacks

Post by madstacks »

soloturk wrote:If anyone is wondering (I doubt it?) The B-2 was 82-1068 Spirit of New York, don't know what the F-15 serials were though, if anyone knows them could you post them, that would be appreciated :smile:

I fear this may be completely useless but i will post just on the off chance - if anyone's handy with image sharpening it may be possible to get something out of this shot, I was lucky enough to have three rotations and three direct overhead passes yesterday from where im staying at!, unfortunately i only had a low end bridge camera and a dslr with a 140mm lens to hand.